[Today at 12:53:59 PM]

More conference realignment talk by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:26:24 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

Tyler and Oso event last night? by Scoop Snoop
[September 26, 2024, 06:51:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview  (Read 617 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview
« on: September 25, 2024, 08:46:51 AM »
Marquette travels to UD Arena in their final non-con game to take on the Flyers. (Anybody but) Dayton lost a lot from last year's 7-seed, but hope that a pair of high-major transfers and a stable defensive system will get them back into the at-large conversation. The fans will definitely be up for this one.

Dayton Flyers
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

🏀

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2024, 09:34:30 AM »
ABD

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2024, 12:38:41 PM »
Can you imagine how insufferable Flyer fans would be now if they had gone deep in the 2020 tourney?
So I guess something good came out of Covid.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

mug644

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2024, 01:09:55 PM »
I wonder if Posh Alexander will on Dec 14th become the only correct answer to this bit of trivia: Name a player that has competed against the Marquette men's basketball as a member of teams from three different schools.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2024, 02:06:39 PM »
Can you imagine how insufferable Flyer fans would be now if they had gone deep in the 2020 tourney?
So I guess something good came out of Covid.
I have Flyer Alumni friends and family with t-shirts saying projected final 4 or projected national champs.   They have jokingly said that COVID was done specifically to keep Dayton from a nattie.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2024, 02:08:01 PM »
I wonder if Posh Alexander will on Dec 14th become the only correct answer to this bit of trivia: Name a player that has competed against the Marquette men's basketball as a member of teams from three different schools.

Until DO goes for 20-10-7 in the natty over AJ Storr and Kansas
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mug644

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2024, 02:21:28 PM »
Until DO goes for 20-10-7 in the natty over AJ Storr and Kansas

:D

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2024, 02:28:05 PM »
I have Flyer Alumni friends and family with t-shirts saying projected final 4 or projected national champs.   They have jokingly said that COVID was done specifically to keep Dayton from a nattie.

They can hang those shirts right next to the Marquette 1978 "Meet me in St. Louis" shirts.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2024, 02:33:27 PM »

If both shirts exist, why would someone select this one?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Fieldhouse Flyer

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:06:15 AM »
Marquette travels to UD Arena in their final non-con game to take on the Flyers. (Anybody but) Dayton lost a lot from last year's 7-seed, but hope that a pair of high-major transfers and a stable defensive system will get them back into the at-large conversation. The fans will definitely be up for this one.

Dayton Flyers

brewcity77 – My compliments on a well-researched and well-written Cracked Sidewalks preview.  It’s much appreciated. Please allow me to add my observations to your excellent article.

Jacob Conner is the most likely big off the bench, but Dayton also boasts Hamad Mousa and Amael L'Etang, a pair of big bodies from overseas with little experience but lots of upside.

It’s generally unwise to hype foreign HS players who have an unproven record against top U.S. HS competition, but the early signs are encouraging. On May 29th, 6’-8” SF Hamad Mousa committed to Dayton:  Google Search: Hamad Mousa

Dayton lands top-30 recruit Hamad Mousa out of Qatar - Jonathan Givony, Draft Express – May 29, 2024

Hamad Mousa Scouting Report - Rafael Barlowe, Big Board Global Scouting - May 29, 2024

Mid-Major Madness A10 Preseason Freshman of the Year: Hamad Mousa (Dayton) - Mid-Major Madness - August 6, 2024

Dayton once again has a true one-and-done candidate. Coming over from the NBA Academy, Mousa is a Top 30 recruit. At 6’8”, he can score at three levels and is super versatile. Strong, large, shooter.

NBA Draft Scouting Report: Dayton's Hamad Mousa – Sports Illustrated - September 16, 2024

On June 13th, 7’1” SF Amael L’Etang from France committed to Dayton. He is a three-point shooter who also aspires to play in the NBA. Check out this box score: France - Regular Season: Cholet 75, Levallois 61 - EuroBasket Box Score -January 27, 2024

Amael L’Etang had 26 points and 21 rebounds while making 5 of 7 three-point attempts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

In their 121-year history, the Dayton Flyers have never had a roster as unusual as this season’s. Five point guards with significant Division I experience, plus sophomore Marvel Allen – a former five-star PG who red-shirted last season . . . a 7’-1” wing who knocks down 3-pointers . . . and an NBA-bound Qatari who can play four positions.

Dayton Flyers 2024-25 Roster – University of Dayton  • Dayton Flyers 5-Year Roster - Verbal Commits

Dayton Flyers 2024-25 Roster

Fr. •  7’-1” • 230 lbs. • F •  Amaël L'Etang • (SF, PF)
     Jr. •  6’-11” • 250 lbs. • F • Isaac Jack • (C, PF)
     Jr. •  6’-10” • 205 lbs. • F • Jacob Conner • (C, PF)
Grad. •  6’-8” • 220 lbs. • F •  Zed Key • (PF, C)
     Sr. •  6’-7” • 215 lbs. • F • Nate Santos • (PF, SF)
     So. • 6’-6” • 225 lbs. • F • Jaiun Simon • (SF, PF)

Fr. • 6’-8” • 190 lbs. • G/F • Hamad Mousa • (SF, SG, PF, PG)

So. • 6’-4” • 205 lbs. • G • Marvel Allen • (PG, SG)
     Sr. • 6’-3” • 195 lbs. • PG • Enoch Cheeks • (PG)
     Sr. • 6’-2” • 205 lbs. • PG • Brady Uhl • (PG, SG)
     Sr. • 6’-0” • 175 lbs. •  PG • Malachi Smith • (PG)
     Sr. • 6’-0” • 205 lbs. • PG • Posh Alexander • (PG)
     Jr. • 5’-10” • 160 lbs. • PG • Javon Bennett • (PG)

This team feels like they have a low floor and very high ceiling based on a series of ifs. If guys like Alexander and Key can come in and be A-10 stars, if Malachi Smith can stay healthy, if Marvel Allen can turn his high-upside talent into on-court production, then this Dayton team can be an A-10 and at-large bid contender. But if Posh tries to take over games, if Key is better suited as a role-player, if Smith gets injured again, and if there aren't answers on the bench to address those questions, things could go very bad for Dayton. This should be a Q1 road opportunity, but without an All-American like Toppin or Holmes, there's the possibility things go very wrong.

Given the Flyers’ versatility, depth, and coaching, I believe that the possibility that “things go very wrong” is quite remote.

Men's Basketball Top 144 Previews – College Sports Madness

Today’s CSM preview is #39 VCU, who is picked to finish in second place in the A10, meaning Dayton is favored by CSM to win the A10 conference. Ditto for most preseason Bracketologies (Joe Lunardi, Jerry Palm, et al.).

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10 on: Today at 11:20:36 AM »
brewcity77 – My compliments on a well-researched and well-written Cracked Sidewalks preview.  It’s much appreciated. Please allow me to add my observations to your excellent article.

It’s generally unwise to hype foreign HS players who have an unproven record against top U.S. HS competition, but the early signs are encouraging. On May 29th, 6’-8” SF Hamad Mousa committed to Dayton:  Google Search: Hamad Mousa

Dayton lands top-30 recruit Hamad Mousa out of Qatar - Jonathan Givony, Draft Express – May 29, 2024

Hamad Mousa Scouting Report - Rafael Barlowe, Big Board Global Scouting - May 29, 2024

Mid-Major Madness A10 Preseason Freshman of the Year: Hamad Mousa (Dayton) - Mid-Major Madness - August 6, 2024

Dayton once again has a true one-and-done candidate. Coming over from the NBA Academy, Mousa is a Top 30 recruit. At 6’8”, he can score at three levels and is super versatile. Strong, large, shooter.

NBA Draft Scouting Report: Dayton's Hamad Mousa – Sports Illustrated - September 16, 2024

On June 13th, 7’1” SF Amael L’Etang from France committed to Dayton. He is a three-point shooter who also aspires to play in the NBA. Check out this box score: France - Regular Season: Cholet 75, Levallois 61 - EuroBasket Box Score -January 27, 2024

Amael L’Etang had 26 points and 21 rebounds while making 5 of 7 three-point attempts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

In their 121-year history, the Dayton Flyers have never had a roster as unusual as this season’s. Five point guards with significant Division I experience, plus sophomore Marvel Allen – a former five-star PG who red-shirted last season . . . a 7’-1” wing who knocks down 3-pointers . . . and an NBA-bound Qatari who can play four positions.

Dayton Flyers 2024-25 Roster – University of Dayton  • Dayton Flyers 5-Year Roster - Verbal Commits

Given the Flyers’ versatility, depth, and coaching, I believe that the possibility that “things go very wrong” is quite remote.

Today’s CSM preview is #39 VCU, who is picked to finish in second place in the A10, meaning Dayton is favored by CSM to win the A10 conference. Ditto for most preseason Bracketologies (Joe Lunardi, Jerry Palm, et al.).

I’m not reading all that but I’m very happy for you or very sad for you
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #11 on: Today at 11:28:15 AM »

Any word on when single game tickets for the Flyers will go on sale?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: Today at 11:46:35 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Fieldhouse Flyer. I always recommend tempering expectations for foreign or NBA academy players. Even Benn Mathurin needed two years at Arizona before going pro (O-Max played here and needed three).

PG is the biggest area for worry. Of the guys you list, Cheeks isn't really a PG (played wing mostly at RMU), Allen was probably mis-evaluated early (finished as a 3-star), Uhl has only played walk-on minutes at UD, and Smith has had to deal with multiple injuries that cost him significant portions of seasons. That leaves Bennett, who I really like but would be taking a big step up from sixth man to star, and Posh Alexander, who I don't trust at all.

Having watched Posh a lot the last 4 years, he isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is. He is a middling offensive player who can shoot his teams into losses and gambles too much on defense to the point that he can be a liability in the half-court. I do see upside with this team, but if it's too much Posh, things could definitely go wrong, as St. John's and Butler fans know all too well.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUbiz

• All American
« Reply #13 on: Today at 12:35:47 PM »
Any word on when single game tickets for the Flyers will go on sale?

I looked at the UD bball website and the only thing of note I saw was the waitlist for basketball season tickets. So I am assuming those who want to go will have to get tickets from the secondary market. I am also assuming those secondary market tickets will be the highest priced tickets at UD all year.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: Today at 12:51:06 PM »

I was pretty neutral on Dayton to the BE. Now I’m all on board the ABD train. Imagine having to deal with this guy regularly.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:51:01 PM »
Yeah, a thorough, pedantic, pro Dayton poster is the worst.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.