[Today at 12:31:28 PM]

Big East 2024 -25 Results by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 10:15:56 AM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[Today at 08:52:59 AM]

Recruiting as of 9/15/24 by BCHoopster
[September 19, 2024, 05:36:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Starting line ups/rotations 24-25  (Read 4393 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Starting line ups/rotations 24-25
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2024, 09:22:13 AM »
I was mostly responding to dgies saying that Kam, Chase and Ben are the core of the team. I have no idea if Mitchell is going to play 25 or 30, and I don't frankly care. But Mitchell (and Jop) is more of a "core" member than two guys who only really started due to injury the past couple of seasons.

Brother Hippie:

You probably know more than I do on this stuff. Kam is the "Tyler" of this team and I do think Chase and Ben are essential to its success. I truly hope you are right about Stevie and if he's truly core to our team, he's gone from being a quick, lock-down defender to a all-around great player.

I do hope you're right.

And, yes, I think too many Scoopers underestimate the quality of this team. I'm waiting for Kam to say, "F- 'em!"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2024, 09:43:02 AM »
Man, I can't believe there are still Scoopers who don't understand what Mitchell does for this team.

Yup.  To be honest, the drop off in the quality of play from MU last year when Stevie was out was more drastic than it was when Kolek was out (guessing a numbers nerd will prove me wrong here).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2024, 11:05:34 AM »
I thought that Chase was the most vulnerable starter.   Until I listened to Shaka on the podcast.

I have and continue to think that Jop is the most vulnerable. I think he keeps his spot but I think Owens play will demand a lot of minutes by the end of the season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2024, 11:30:43 AM »
I think injuries are the only thing that make any of the starters vulnerable to not being in the starting lineup.  I think the starting lineup is pretty clear.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2024, 11:52:57 AM »
Another year, another session of scoopers fantasizing about unproven players at the expense of proven, veteran players

Mitchell and Joplin have double-digit starts and hundreds of minutes of Big East experience compared to kids fresh out of high school.

The vast majority of college frosh are not NBA one and dones.  Most take awhile to adapt to the speed and complexity of the college game.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2024, 05:38:46 PM »
The difference this year is when Joplin has a bad game there are replacements!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2024, 06:58:26 PM »

Six or seven more of our team will be competing for the remaining 100 minutes a game. I don't doubt Stevie and David will start but by the end of the season, I suspect Tre and maybe Owens or Hamilton and possibly Zaide will be break-out players.

Damn, that's a lot of "break-out" players.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2024, 07:01:28 PM »
Not picking on you dgies, just trying to narrow it down. My guess for more than we expected this year is Damarious.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2024, 08:27:57 PM »
In his 3 years, Shaka's starters have combined for 130, 145, & 148 mpg combined. This team isn't quite at the level of the last two teams in terms of first team dominance, but I don't think we'll see a true platoon like Kur/Oso that pulled down the 2022 starter minutes.

Our sixth man has always been heavy in the rotation, getting 18, 19, & 21 mpg. Players 7/8 have always been at 16+ minutes.

With that in mind, expect Kam/Stevie/Chase/Jop/Gold to combine for roughly 140 minutes.

I think we can expect our sixth man (Owens is my guess) to get 20 mpg and the next two (Tre & Zaide) to get around 15 each. That's 50 combined.

That would leave about 10 minutes for Caedin, Royce, and the walk-ons. I'd guess most of that goes to Caedin. I think he will get 10-12 backing up Ben & Jop (with Gold sliding to the 4 when Caedin replaces Jop).

That would be a 9-man rotation, which would match 2022 as shaka deepest here.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2024, 09:17:11 PM »
In his 3 years, Shaka's starters have combined for 130, 145, & 148 mpg combined. This team isn't quite at the level of the last two teams in terms of first team dominance, but I don't think we'll see a true platoon like Kur/Oso that pulled down the 2022 starter minutes.

Our sixth man has always been heavy in the rotation, getting 18, 19, & 21 mpg. Players 7/8 have always been at 16+ minutes.

With that in mind, expect Kam/Stevie/Chase/Jop/Gold to combine for roughly 140 minutes.

I think we can expect our sixth man (Owens is my guess) to get 20 mpg and the next two (Tre & Zaide) to get around 15 each. That's 50 combined.

That would leave about 10 minutes for Caedin, Royce, and the walk-ons. I'd guess most of that goes to Caedin. I think he will get 10-12 backing up Ben & Jop (with Gold sliding to the 4 when Caedin replaces Jop).

That would be a 9-man rotation, which would match 2022 as shaka deepest here.
I agree with this analysis
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2024, 11:09:41 PM »
Another year, another session of scoopers fantasizing about unproven players at the expense of proven, veteran players

Mitchell and Joplin have double-digit starts and hundreds of minutes of Big East experience compared to kids fresh out of high school.

The vast majority of college frosh are not NBA one and dones.  Most take awhile to adapt to the speed and complexity of the college game.

You're not wrong. FWIW, I usually skip the fantasizing about unproven players. Owens I believe in.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #86 on: Today at 08:11:59 AM »
So lots of insider information about Owens being the next “truth”.  I like it.  Hope what you guys are hearing and seeing are right.  Would be just what the doctor ordered and one X factor no one has to be concerned about. 6’ 7” sixth man who can do everything is sounding really good to me.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: Today at 10:01:59 AM »
So lots of insider information about Owens being the next “truth”.  I like it.  Hope what you guys are hearing and seeing are right.  Would be just what the doctor ordered and one X factor no one has to be concerned about. 6’ 7” sixth man who can do everything is sounding really good to me.

Like TAMU, I hate having expectations for freshmen or guys we haven't seen at this level. That said, the one constant I've heard from everyone who has been in or around the program since May is that Owens is a starting Big East caliber talent from day one.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #88 on: Today at 10:09:00 AM »
Like TAMU, I hate having expectations for freshmen or guys we haven't seen at this level. That said, the one constant I've heard from everyone who has been in or around the program since May is that Owens is a starting Big East caliber talent from day one.

Love hearing it Brew.  I’m glad people are optimistic.  He will fill a big need with his height and athleticism. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: Today at 10:37:02 AM »
Staying off the freshman hype train is healthy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #90 on: Today at 10:40:46 AM »
Staying off the freshman hype train is healthy.

Yep, people jumping on the unknown (DO) at the expense of the know (BG/DJ) confound me.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: Today at 10:45:27 AM »
Never ending.   Back up QB syndrome applied to college athletics.   The new guy, having never played D1 (sport) before, is the answer to all of the shortcomings (which is all we can see) of the experienced, established player.   

It isn't just scoop.  Everywhere and always.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #92 on: Today at 11:05:03 AM »
Never ending.   Back up QB syndrome applied to college athletics.   The new guy, having never played D1 (sport) before, is the answer to all of the shortcomings (which is all we can see) of the experienced, established player.   

It isn't just scoop.  Everywhere and always.

But people are not really saying any of that.

All they are saying is everything heard about Owens by credible sources is hes a legit talent and will get major minutes

Nothing about him being some big answer. Just that he is likely to be the clear cut 6th man. Which considering we have 0 upperclassmen depth on the bench, is far from outlandish.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #93 on: Today at 11:18:09 AM »
But people are not really saying any of that.

All they are saying is everything heard about Owens by credible sources is hes a legit talent and will get major minutes

Nothing about him being some big answer. Just that he is likely to be the clear cut 6th man. Which considering we have 0 upperclassmen depth on the bench, is far from outlandish.

This thread one page ago.

think that Jop and Chase need to show a step forward, or they could be replaced by DO/Royce and Tre/Zaide.

I would love to be wrong and have good consistent production from Freshman on day one.  I know that's not how it works. 

I remember when people were saying before he ever played a collegiate game that Freshman Sean needed to play 20 mpg bc Kolek couldn't cut it at pg.  Trust the process/trust the upperclassmen.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #94 on: Today at 11:37:20 AM »
This thread one page ago.

I would love to be wrong and have good consistent production from Freshman on day one.  I know that's not how it works. 

I remember when people were saying before he ever played a collegiate game that Freshman Sean needed to play 20 mpg bc Kolek couldn't cut it at pg.  Trust the process/trust the upperclassmen.

All that is saying is they "could be" of course they could be(unlikely knowing Shaka's track record). It also mentioned a couple returning guys. And never called anyone a savior or anything just potential back up options.

But really all this skepticism is weirdly following very known to be in the know posters giving the specific caveat how they don't usually like to buy into freshman. But where theres smoke...

Because there is lots of it. Owens is absolutely intended to play a heavy role as things stand. Probably as a 6th man. But freshman or not that's what it is.

Kam played 18.5 minutes and averaged over 7 a game as a freshman. So its also weird to act like people predicting Owens at around 20 mpg with a more well rounded(entering college) game and size is absurd.

Ill add to wait others have said. I'd put freshman Kam as about the baseline for DO this year barring massive growing pains.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #95 on: Today at 11:46:11 AM »
Don't really understand the point you're trying to make. Scoop has a history of way overeating to summer rumors about freshman/development in general.

Al looked surprisingly fluid and comfortable to me for a freshman big; I think he’ll be useful for 5-10mpg.

I think Tre gets more minutes that Stevie by years end,

Remember when Dex turned into prime AI during the summer and then morphed back into himself Nov. 1st?

Remember Juan's HS Senior mixtape?

All I'm (and I think tower) are trying to say is that we've been fooled too many times by scenarios listed above to jump on a hype train in the summer. Prove it to me/us in the fall/winter.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: Today at 12:07:04 PM »
Pgsheroes32, I am as optimistic about Owens as I can remember being about a freshman in some time.   Hence my comment in my OP that I can see him bumping up to 6th man. I think he has a high ceiling and will be a beast by the time he leaves MU.   
   Not tearing him down.  Accepting that he is not a finished product and this is way too early in his journey. It would be cool if he blew past expectations.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: Today at 12:59:14 PM »
Yep, people jumping on the unknown (DO) at the expense of the know (BG/DJ) confound me.

That's not the case at all. I have Gold and Jop as starters and expect Owens to be sixth man, slightly ahead of Norman and Lowery for minutes.

feedback