NM by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 05:45:07 PM]

Kam is the Man by Hards Alumni
[Today at 03:22:43 PM]

Kolek picked by Portland by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:50:55 PM]

Media Rights Update by Skatastrophy
[Today at 12:24:15 PM]

[Paint Touches] How does the the BEast TV contract compare to other P5s? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:43:53 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Did we underperform?  (Read 2034 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Did we underperform?
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2024, 12:54:15 AM »
I want to meet his lawyer

Sorry all. I just needed the money
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2024, 04:30:09 AM »
Clearly Shaka's first team with six future NBA prospects in Justin Lewis, Darryl Morsell, Omax, Kolek, Kam, and Oso hugely underperformed with all that talent. 

All the geniuses here were all proclaiming a NIT bid was our best case scenario that season.  ::)

Only I and few others knew better and were not surprised by our mid-season surge only to later inexplicably stink it up down the stretch that year.  :(

This year's team could be very good too, but I'm afraid Shaka's loyalty to seniors like David Joplin could hold us back.  I think we'll be much better defensively and more explosive in transition when the cream of crop rises among Owens/Lowery/Amadou and one or two of them get more of those minutes than Joplin does. 

Joplin is a great kid from a great family... certainly he's had some very good games and moments.
 However, I think the team is best served when he's our sixth or seventh option.  He's just too limited athletically, with inconsistent play and decision making for us to overcome the roster losses of both Kolek and Oso.  Those are obviously two huge losses for any team but they were also both very intelligent players and leaders that kept dumb play and mistakes by the team to a minimum.  Without them I'm afraid Joplin's mistake prone play could even get amplified.     

The only silver lining of Joplin being Joplin and taking up a lot of minutes again next year is it could hide Damarius Owens from the NBA scouts for another year.  Damarius already has a NBA body that is both very long and muscular... along with NBA athleticism to boot.  Based on the what I've seen of him already on video it's a matter of when he goes to the NBA and not if he'll be good enough.  Hopefully we get him for two years and he helps us win a lot of games before he bolts.  I love the upside of Lowery and Amadou too, but I just think Owens just has all the NBA traits GM's want and will be hard to keep him in Milwaukee very long.   

The 2025-2026 team, assuming Owens doesn't blow up and go, with all its length, speed and depth could be the team that finally breaks through and makes a run for a natty!  I really like the potential of that roster if all the best players stay and become the best they can be!

There's stiff competition, but for me this is the #1 scoop post of the offseason. Flawless.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2024, 05:44:33 AM »
This one is pretty easy.

Overachieved in the regular season, underachieved in the NCAA tourney.

Part A is the main reason why the roster contained the NBA kids, part B is part of the reason why those kids- mainly TyKo and Oso- weren’t drafted a bit higher

No to Part B. Tristan Newton was PG for the national champions two years in a row and MOP of the Final Four this year. He shot up the draft boards to #49.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2024, 10:33:26 AM »
Duane’s ice breaker at parties: “do u know who Tf I am?!?!”
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2024, 11:09:02 AM »
This week I was reminded of the following email I got from duanewade in 2010...

To which I replied....

🤣🤣 This person sounds shorter than Chicos 🤣🤣

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2024, 02:07:07 PM »
Clearly Shaka's first team with six future NBA prospects in Justin Lewis, Darryl Morsell, Omax, Kolek, Kam, and Oso hugely underperformed with all that talent. 

All the geniuses here were all proclaiming a NIT bid was our best case scenario that season.  ::)

Only I and few others knew better and were not surprised by our mid-season surge only to later inexplicably stink it up down the stretch that year.  :(

This year's team could be very good too, but I'm afraid Shaka's loyalty to seniors like David Joplin could hold us back.  I think we'll be much better defensively and more explosive in transition when the cream of crop rises among Owens/Lowery/Amadou and one or two of them get more of those minutes than Joplin does. 

Joplin is a great kid from a great family... certainly he's had some very good games and moments.
 However, I think the team is best served when he's our sixth or seventh option.  He's just too limited athletically, with inconsistent play and decision making for us to overcome the roster losses of both Kolek and Oso.  Those are obviously two huge losses for any team but they were also both very intelligent players and leaders that kept dumb play and mistakes by the team to a minimum.  Without them I'm afraid Joplin's mistake prone play could even get amplified.     

The only silver lining of Joplin being Joplin and taking up a lot of minutes again next year is it could hide Damarius Owens from the NBA scouts for another year.  Damarius already has a NBA body that is both very long and muscular... along with NBA athleticism to boot.  Based on the what I've seen of him already on video it's a matter of when he goes to the NBA and not if he'll be good enough.  Hopefully we get him for two years and he helps us win a lot of games before he bolts.  I love the upside of Lowery and Amadou too, but I just think Owens just has all the NBA traits GM's want and will be hard to keep him in Milwaukee very long.   

The 2025-2026 team, assuming Owens doesn't blow up and go, with all its length, speed and depth could be the team that finally breaks through and makes a run for a natty!  I really like the potential of that roster if all the best players stay and become the best they can be!

😂

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2024, 01:18:02 PM »
So D’Ow (D, Ohh) should be more valuable to this years team than Jop?

If that happens it’s either a trip to the FF or a major problem, more than likely the latter.

I came down HARD on Jop after the NCAAt game and I regret it. He sucked, but he knows that more than most and he’s out there working his ass off so that crap wasnt fair.

Jop should be a 13ppg+ talent this year, ever with all the options, if Shaka’s vision proves true. Not what Shaka hoped this deep in his career, but still effective.
He’s still a homegrown kid that defines everything Shaka and this program wants, so it’s hard to now pull for him.

D’Ow is going to be great, but not better than Joplin this season. If he’s close we have a problem.
That said, I do think he can pass BGold as the meat eaters favorite “next” nba stud within months, even though BG is growing on me and I love me some Zaide2NBA

I mean he had a disaster of a game against the pack, maybe the worst I've seen any individual Marquette player ever have.

But he's still the guy who shot a solid 3-6 from 2, 2-6 from 3, 2-2 from the line in the clutch while recording 2 blocks and 2 steals a couple days earlier against Colorado.

This crap just happens sometimes. I wish it didn't. I love Jop and feel for him, and believe he's gotten better at basketball every step of the way.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2024, 03:15:13 PM »
4-31.   Don't have a crap shooting night against a hot team.
I think Marquette just clanked another three.......like this post
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2024, 03:33:01 PM »
I think Marquette just clanked another three.......like this post

What was wrong with the post?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2024, 03:38:55 PM »
Like the Nevada Smith offense, I don't have much of a post game.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2024, 03:48:12 PM »
Like the Nevada Smith offense, I don't have much of a post game.

I've got 23,966 reasons to say you're incorrect.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2024, 04:15:39 PM »
What was wrong with the post?

Not yours, the original post....I think the beating a dead horse comment was spot-on/bullseye since this has been talked about a lot since March
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2024, 05:23:47 PM »
Not yours, the original post....I think the beating a dead horse comment was spot-on/bullseye since this has been talked about a lot since March

Ah.

And I was talking about tower’s post, not anything I wrote.

Thanks for clarifying.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2024, 12:44:34 AM »

;D

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2024, 08:57:34 AM »
Probably did underperform in hindsight. Just like last time we had two draft picks we underperformed. It's unfortunate. We'll see if Shaka has the March monkey off his back now and if that leads to bigger and better runs!
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback