[Today at 03:07:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] The BEast’s new $480 Million TV deal is a huge win by mug644
[Today at 02:13:46 PM]

Did we underperform? by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 02:07:07 PM]

John Glaser by MUUWUWM
[June 29, 2024, 11:16:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] The BEast’s new $480 Million TV deal is a huge win  (Read 1464 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
Had to wait for confirmation on the dollar amounts, but with Ourand's notes this morning, feel free saying Val and the Big East did very well.

https://painttouches.com/2024/06/28/the-big-easts-new-480-million-tv-deal-is-a-huge-win-for-all-basketball-fans/

And because I'm going to batflip this for the next 6 years, here's what I wrote in 2022.

Full logic from then: https://painttouches.com/2022/08/26/what-are-big-east-tv-rights-worth/

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: [Paint Touches] The BEast’s new $480 Million TV deal is a huge win
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 11:59:27 AM »
Well that is wonderful! I take back what I said yesterday - great work by the conference. Val has turned out to be an excellent leader!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 12:36:21 PM »
It's certainly been a long-term perception, but the notation about the AAC and A10 confirms it.

The individual value of a basketball program in Marquette is worth the total value of a conference (with football) in the American and Atlantic 10.  The gamble by the C7 separating from football, and increasing its value in the process, is one of the greatest moves in realignment history.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2024, 01:01:02 PM »
It's certainly been a long-term perception, but the notation about the AAC and A10 confirms it.

The individual value of a basketball program in Marquette is worth the total value of a conference (with football) in the American and Atlantic 10.  The gamble by the C7 separating from football, and increasing its value in the process, is one of the greatest moves in realignment history.

Very well said!!!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2024, 01:27:04 PM »
Weird.  I was told the Big East and Marquette were doomed.  Also told media rights deals were doomed.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2024, 02:57:46 PM »
Weird.  I was told the Big East and Marquette were doomed.  Also told media rights deals were doomed.

UDPride is still waiting for us to knock on the door of the A10
Maigh Eo for Sam

mug644

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2024, 03:19:35 PM »
Andrei, how would you bring in the impact of UConn into this analysis? If they (and, more specifically, their basketball programs) had been in the BEast for the 2013 Fox contract, surely it would've been worth more, right? And, having returned and being successful (to put it mildly), they are surely leading the value of the BEast product right now, accounting for a not-insignificant amount of the increase in the contract, right?

And a gap in my knowledge and understanding is if/how the Fox contract was adjusted when UConn did rejoin. Was that the jump from $58.8m in 2018 to $64.9m in 2019? And then are the lower numbers the next two years due to covid (especially loss of conference championship revenue)?

Thanks for this interesting information!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2024, 03:50:01 PM »
Andrei, how would you bring in the impact of UConn into this analysis? If they (and, more specifically, their basketball programs) had been in the BEast for the 2013 Fox contract, surely it would've been worth more, right? And, having returned and being successful (to put it mildly), they are surely leading the value of the BEast product right now, accounting for a not-insignificant amount of the increase in the contract, right?

And a gap in my knowledge and understanding is if/how the Fox contract was adjusted when UConn did rejoin. Was that the jump from $58.8m in 2018 to $64.9m in 2019? And then are the lower numbers the next two years due to covid (especially loss of conference championship revenue)?

I believe Fox prorated their addition to the conference. They got a full share upon entry but it didn't lead to an immediate bump in pay.  Their share was accounted for the additional content they were providing with games being added.

Their WBB was also not part of the package and UConn had to previously sell that package separately after the AAC TV deal came in low.

(I'm typing this on memory so I may not be accurate).

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2024, 07:57:41 PM »

I've read in multiple outlets that the contract had caveats for UConn joining, that would add them at full value. I was hoping to confirm that when they joined in 2020, but COVID cancellation of the BET and then the 2021 truncated slate messed with the YOY comparisons.

Change in Media Rights $ vs PY.
2015: 3.9%
2016: 3.9%
2017: 3.9%
2018: 3.7%
2019: 3.7%
2020: -10.7%
2021: 5.4%
2022: 41.2% (lolol)
2023: 3.6%

As for their current value now, it's enormous. Val (or whoever advised her) should get a fat check for that call, as it wasn't unanimous. Here are the top FS1 games from this past season.

https://painttouches.com/2024/03/08/big-east-sees-huge-jump-in-fs1-top-end-ratings-uconn-marquette-villanova/

SaveOD238

• All American

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2024, 12:24:37 PM »
I believe Fox prorated their addition to the conference. They got a full share upon entry but it didn't lead to an immediate bump in pay.  Their share was accounted for the additional content they were providing with games being added.

Their WBB was also not part of the package and UConn had to previously sell that package separately after the AAC TV deal came in low.

(I'm typing this on memory so I may not be accurate).

Partially right on the UConn women 's package.  UConn always sold separately.  They started out on Connecticut Public Television and it was always the largest watched programming on local PBS.  SNY then bought the rights at $1.1mil per year.  The AAC TV contract did not allow UConn to sell the women's package and it would end up like costing UConn a $1mil per year of revenue.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2024, 09:00:14 PM »
Overall , I believe The Big East made a solid deal. Having all games televised is an important feature. Also , having media multiple participants is a plus . Each has a vested interest in seeing The Big East be successful.

This article points out some of the finer points of the transaction. One is Big East will be part of Fox sports NIT alternative.

https://247sports.com/college/xavier/article/big-east-new-tv-deal-media-streaming-fox-nbc-warner-brothers-tnt--233293363/amp/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2024, 09:10:43 PM »
Overall , I believe The Big East made a solid deal. Having all games televised is an important feature. Also , having media multiple participants is a plus . Each has a vested interest in seeing The Big East be successful.

This article points out some of the finer points of the transaction. One is Big East will be part of Fox sports NIT alternative.

https://247sports.com/college/xavier/article/big-east-new-tv-deal-media-streaming-fox-nbc-warner-brothers-tnt--233293363/amp/

Didn’t get on the CW.  Terrible deal

Tyler COLEk

• All American
Thank you for the awesome analysis around this, Andrei. Really appreciate your dives into Big East media.

Tyler COLEk

• All American

The Paint Touches article for which this thread was created is better in every conceivable way than this poor bullet point summary. The NIT inclusion is old news. No need for anybody to waste their time reading this.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
The Paint Touches article for which this thread was created is better in every conceivable way than this poor bullet point summary. The NIT inclusion is old news. No need for anybody to waste their time reading this.

Herm doesn’t like Paint Touches or other Marquette blogs.  He always tries to steer others to Doods usual B.S

mug644

• All American
Thanks to Alexei and GW11 for the responses to my query about the UConn 'effect' on the media deals for the BEast.

feedback