[June 27, 2024, 07:43:07 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 27, 2024, 07:39:16 PM]

NM by Scoop Snoop
[June 27, 2024, 05:52:48 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by TallTitan34
[June 27, 2024, 05:20:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: High school kids  (Read 2333 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: High school kids
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2024, 06:19:24 PM »
Two of those kids who aren't ranked in the top-6 in Wisconsin next year.

So those kids can not have a big year? Some recruit on MU right now had no offers from the top 4 schools in TEXAS.
He probably was not even top 20!  Never know

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2024, 06:23:01 PM »
So those kids can not have a big year? Some recruit on MU right now had no offers from the top 4 schools in TEXAS.

You were the one who initially claimed “top 5.” Then you changed it to six.

Brew was just pointing out that the top 5 or 6 are not leaving the state.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2024, 06:34:50 PM »
My question was Re: the claim that it makes “hard for the college coaches to travel all over the place”… just a bizarre comment

I'm with Jay Bee here. Instead of most of the top players in country playing at a handful of top prep schools, where coaches can go and watch a team with multiple D1 guys play another team with multiple D1 guys...BC thinks coaches would prefer to drive up to high schools, possibly in places like Rhinelander, to watch a team with one D1 guy play a team whose best player is going to be the second best guy on a team that gets knocked out of the first round of the intramural playoffs as a college junior.

I think what BC is actually saying is that he misses the days when colleges just recrutied from their own state and maybe the neighboring state if the school was near the border.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2024, 06:37:01 PM »

It's irrelevant. You said the top-5 were leaving, then changed it to top-6, and neither were true. The opening post was untrue, your follow-up was untrue, and you fail to acknowledge that the entire premise of your thread is based on false statements.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2024, 06:37:46 PM »
You were the one who initially claimed “top 5.” Then you changed it to six.

Brew was just pointing out that the top 5 or 6 are not leaving the state.
[/quote

Ok I was wrong maybe Top 10-15

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2024, 06:52:03 PM »
I'm with Jay Bee here. Instead of most of the top players in country playing at a handful of top prep schools, where coaches can go and watch a team with multiple D1 guys play another team with multiple D1 guys...BC thinks coaches would prefer to drive up to high schools, possibly in places like Rhinelander, to watch a team with one D1 guy play a team whose best player is going to be the second best guy on a team that gets knocked out of the first round of the intramural playoffs as a college junior.

I think what BC is actually saying is that he misses the days when colleges just recrutied from their own state and maybe the neighboring state if the school was near the border.

Wouldn’t mind Danny Hurley challenging Hodag
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2024, 06:58:34 PM »

Or he simply wants to return to the good ole days of high school basketball where kids played for the glory of their hometown.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2024, 07:14:02 PM »
Hickory!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2024, 09:06:57 PM »
This discussion is a bit odd. That said, the only relevance to MU could be the fact that there was apparently some pushback from Royce Parham’s HS fanbase when he chose to leave his PA hometown and join his future MU teammate Owens at Western Reserve Prep. Not surprising. Whether it was at the behest of Shaka or not, it certainly worked pretty well for these kids and their preparation for D1 basketball. They even won a prep school national title together. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2024, 06:41:32 AM »
I wonder how much the lack of shot clock in the WIAA has played into these kids' decisions to play elsewhere.  Wisconsin is one of the only states that has yet to approve a shot clock for high school hoops.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2024, 07:03:36 AM »
I wonder how much the lack of shot clock in the WIAA has played into these kids' decisions to play elsewhere.  Wisconsin is one of the only states that has yet to approve a shot clock for high school hoops.

Kon Knueppel responded to that on a Mark Miller Twitter post. He pointed to both NIL and the shot clock as things that could push prominent high schoolers out of state. But if that's the case, then it's up to the WIAA and state. They can try to keep players here by making changes, or they can stick to how they've always done things. Ultimately, I don't think it will impact the in-state schools or Marquette very much.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2024, 07:58:19 AM »
Right. The WIAA should be about what's best for high school basketball, not what's best for the state's top prospects. I am sure the shot clock is an expense that the school districts don't want to deal with - especially when you are going to need an extra hand to deal with that clock during games.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2024, 08:07:25 AM »
Right. The WIAA should be about what's best for high school basketball, not what's best for the state's top prospects. I am sure the shot clock is an expense that the school districts don't want to deal with - especially when you are going to need an extra hand to deal with that clock during games.

If rural schools in North Dakota can find someone to manage the shot clock, so can schools in northern Wisconsin.  Players want it, coaches want it, fans want it.  Clearly the high level prospects want it.  The WIAA needs to get with the times.

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2024, 08:09:16 AM »
If rural schools in North Dakota can find someone to manage the shot clock, so can schools in northern Wisconsin.  Players want it, coaches want it, fans want it.  Clearly the high level prospects want it.  The WIAA needs to get with the times.

Then they should do it! I haven't been to a high school basketball game since my kids team was eliminated in the state playoffs as a senior - over a decade ago. So I have no idea what anyone wants.

It shouldn't be to keep prospects in state.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2024, 08:18:09 AM »
I couldn't care less about players leaving Wisconsin.

Looking at Marquette's roster, the following players left their state for HS:

Chase Ross
Zaide Lowery
Damarius Owens
Royce Parham
Ben Gold (left his country!)

Plus, Caedin Hamilton was planning to do a 5th year at a NE Prep school before deciding to enroll and redshirt at Marquette.

All of these players made decisions that they thought were in their best interest.   I support all players doing the same, even those from Wisconsin.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2024, 08:37:51 AM »
I couldn't care less about players leaving Wisconsin.

Looking at Marquette's roster, the following players left their state for HS:

Chase Ross
Zaide Lowery
Damarius Owens
Royce Parham
Ben Gold (left his country!)

Plus, Caedin Hamilton was planning to do a 5th year at a NE Prep school before deciding to enroll and redshirt at Marquette.

All of these players made decisions that they thought were in their best interest.   I support all players doing the same, even those from Wisconsin.

Yep. For many, many, many students, going to college farther away is something they've always wanted to do.

As for the shot clock ... NC doesn't have one for HS ball, and this state produces some pretty good college basketball players. There has been discussion of adding a shot clock here for the last several years but it hasn't happened yet.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2024, 09:04:18 AM »
So, BC gets absolutely shredded for starting a thread that "exaggerated" a topic of basketball non-interest to some here. Have any y'all quit beatin' your dog yet, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2024, 09:21:35 AM »
So, BC gets absolutely shredded for starting a thread that "exaggerated" a topic of basketball non-interest to some here. Have any y'all quit beatin' your dog yet, hey?

It should have also been in the Superbar, but we let that slide.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2024, 09:44:31 AM »

Thanks, thought it was something to discuss since there is not much going on!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2024, 09:51:04 AM »
It should have also been in the Superbar, but we let that slide.

Who are the "we"? Wait, pretty sure I can name 90+% of the cult. For the record, I don't know BC and he isn't a card carryin' member of the MS, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2024, 09:54:08 AM »
Is Stephanie Hauser still working high up in the WIAA?  If so, that family knows ball so I'll trust the WIAA to do the right thing, as they always do.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2024, 09:57:27 AM »
Is Stephanie Hauser still working high up in the WIAA?  If so, that family knows ball so I'll trust the WIAA to do the right thing, as they always do.

Exactly. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2024, 10:20:57 AM »
Yep. For many, many, many students, going to college farther away is something they've always wanted to do.

As for the shot clock ... NC doesn't have one for HS ball, and this state produces some pretty good college basketball players. There has been discussion of adding a shot clock here for the last several years but it hasn't happened yet.

27 states have a shot clock (Alabama is experimenting with one for the upcoming season). Oregon just added shot clocks for last season after coaches lobbied for years. As someone mentioned above, costs are an issue. $5k for the equipment and then paying someone to work them (in Ohio that estimated cost is $1100 for the season).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2024, 01:15:23 PM »
27 states have a shot clock (Alabama is experimenting with one for the upcoming season). Oregon just added shot clocks for last season after coaches lobbied for years. As someone mentioned above, costs are an issue. $5k for the equipment and then paying someone to work them (in Ohio that estimated cost is $1100 for the season).

Thanks Billy. If NC starts using the shot clock, cool. If NC doesn't ever use the shot clock, also cool. Doesn't matter a bit to me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2024, 01:35:04 PM »
I wonder how much the Hausers success leaving Wisconsin has influenced these kids?  A lot of them look up to those two and follow their lead.  Pretty big reason why it would behoove Marquette to mend fences

feedback