[October 21, 2024, 06:58:08 PM]

Shaka’s Dream Job is UVA by LloydsLegs
[October 21, 2024, 12:27:51 PM]

Server Upgrade by rocky_warrior
[October 21, 2024, 10:58:07 AM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] St. John's Preview by brewcity77
[October 21, 2024, 08:01:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Tip-Off Luncheon

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Luncheon

Date/Time: Oct 31, 2024 11:30am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lakers Going After Hurley  (Read 26456 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Lakers Going After Hurley
« on: June 06, 2024, 06:09:22 AM »
Don't do it Danny.  Would be a huge mistake. 

tower912

• All American
Re: Lakers Going After Hurley
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2024, 06:15:20 AM »
Many coaches have tried to make.the leap from college to the NBA.  A few have succeeded.  More have not.   Don't mess with happy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2024, 06:15:58 AM »
Stranger things have happened. On a side note, one could argue for all sports, in terms of necessity, the head coach is most important in NCAA basketball,and least important in the NBA.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2024, 06:17:49 AM »
If he succeeds, he will be one the greatest to ever do it.

If he fails (more likely, given the state of the Lakers roster and the rest of the league) he will be out of a job in 2 years.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2024, 06:19:53 AM »
Larry Brown is the only coach to win an NCAA championship and an NBA championship.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2024, 06:23:04 AM »
Many coaches have tried to make.the leap from college to the NBA.  A few have succeeded.  More have not.   Don't mess with happy.

No one could succeed with that job right now. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2024, 06:24:00 AM »
Stranger things have happened. On a side note, one could argue for all sports, in terms of necessity, the head coach is most important in NCAA basketball,and least important in the NBA.

Great point ld. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 06:27:53 AM »
Surprised it’s not Scott Drew
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 06:32:53 AM »

Monetary wise, probably not.

Hurley's salary at UCONN is $5m per year.  The top 5 NBA coaches range from $17M to 12M per year, all with at least five year guarantees.  Just a guess, but I presume the Laker's offer would have to be in that range, since ESPN has reported it is a massive offer.

Are college coaches being fed up with the NIL hassles?  NBA has player ego hassles, but the money, new challenges and notoriety of being a head coach for the most popular NBA franchise will be extremely enticing.  Amazing how this came out of nowhere. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2024, 06:48:21 AM »
While I would hate to see him leave the BE, I hope he takes it. I am big fan of Hurley and if he can win in the NBA it would be an all time great coaching legacy. IMO, he is one guy that can make the transition and be successful at the next level.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2024, 06:56:49 AM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2024, 07:01:16 AM »
I am not feeling it.   The Lakers gig is not a great one.   Too much baggage.  I remember Hurley's response to the Kentucky job, which likely would have paid in this ballpark.    East coast guy.    Maybe the money is enough.   Maybe he feels like a new challenge.   I think he stays put.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2024, 07:02:44 AM »

Hoping like hell he stays, but right now he’s at $5 million/year at UConn, he probably gets more than double that with the LeBrons (they’re taking Bronny). If it doesn’t work, nearly every program in college hoops would fire their coach to bring him in for $10 million/year. Pitino and Cal landed on their feet after failing in the NBA. Hurley will too.

And if he does jump, UConn players have 30 days to enter the Portal. Weird to realize NBA rosters have more stability than college rosters now.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 07:04:21 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2024, 07:04:58 AM »
He can do this at any time (ie next year after shooting for the three-peat).  So I would imagine he only goes if LA carries something intriguing from a challenge standpoint. 

That being said it’s definitely not a mistake.  He can take the contract and earn a ton of money plus would have a good plenty of options if it didn’t work out. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2024, 07:09:54 AM »

I’m not sure if he takes it. And he definitely doesn’t need to.

But if he did, calling it a mistake is insane.

He would get triple the money. Be able to try a new challenge and make himself a coaching legend. And if it fails, he can get paid boatloads to come back to college immediately
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2024, 07:13:04 AM »
UConn options?

My first choice would be Steve Pikiell.  Hasn’t set the word on fire at Rutgers but I bet he’d kill it at UConn

Then I’d be curious if they go-a-poaching-a-fellow Big East coach like Sean Miller. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2024, 07:13:37 AM »
tower

Hurley has said many times that he has a dream of coaching in the NBA. I think this is a dream situation for him and he would be foolish not to take it. He proved over the past 1.5 seasons that he can put together a nearly unbeatable team/system in college and not many challenges ahead in college. In addition, the NIL and portal has made things crazy for coaches and it cannot be fun, unless you are Shaka.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2024, 07:14:00 AM »
rico

What about his brother?

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2024, 07:44:01 AM »
Do it, Daniel. Do what’s best for you and your family. You’d love LA

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2024, 07:47:01 AM »
rico

What about his brother?

I think he’s far down the list at this moment.

If Pikiell wasn’t 56, he’s my 1A, 1B, 1C.

I think Sean Miller makes a lot of sense there and would kill it as well.  He’s 55, so they may want a younger guy

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2024, 07:55:32 AM »
I am not feeling it.   The Lakers gig is not a great one.   Too much baggage.  I remember Hurley's response to the Kentucky job, which likely would have paid in this ballpark.    East coast guy.    Maybe the money is enough.   Maybe he feels like a new challenge.   I think he stays put.

The NBA is light years above Kentucky.

I think he takes it, but they'll need to give him a significant long-term deal. Nothing left to prove at UConn. And if it doesn't work, he can write his ticket back in college.

But my guess is that he would follow the Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan example and say "see ya later" to the college game entirely.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2024, 07:56:05 AM »
tower

Hurley has said many times that he has a dream of coaching in the NBA. I think this is a dream situation for him and he would be foolish not to take it. He proved over the past 1.5 seasons that he can put together a nearly unbeatable team/system in college and not many challenges ahead in college. In addition, the NIL and portal has made things crazy for coaches and it cannot be fun, unless you are Shaka.
Goose, I have been wrong before.   I will be wrong again.    Perhaps this time.    Just not feeling it.   

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2024, 07:57:02 AM »
I’m not sure if he takes it. And he definitely doesn’t need to.

But if he did, calling it a mistake is insane.

He would get triple the money. Be able to try a new challenge and make himself a coaching legend. And if it fails, he can get paid boatloads to come back to college immediately

There's more to life than $.  But if he takes it maybe we can get a few UCONN guys to MU.   

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2024, 07:57:15 AM »
I think he’s far down the list at this moment.

If Pikiell wasn’t 56, he’s my 1A, 1B, 1C.

I think Sean Miller makes a lot of sense there and would kill it as well.  He’s 55, so they may want a younger guy

This late in the year with a 30-day portal window opening up, my guess is they promote Kimani Young.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2024, 07:57:53 AM »
There's more to life than $.  But if he takes it maybe we can get a few UCONN guys to MU.   

We don't have room for transfers.

feedback