Kam is the Man by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 07:12:17 PM]

Media Rights Update by MUDPT
[Today at 07:07:34 PM]

Kolek picked by Portland by avid1010
[Today at 06:51:56 PM]

Go Oso by Lennys Tap
[Today at 04:24:52 PM]

[Paint Touches] The BEast’s new $480 Million TV deal is a huge win by GoldenWarrior11
[Today at 03:50:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by mugrad_89
[Today at 01:00:19 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:41:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Incoming freshmen  (Read 13341 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Incoming freshmen
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2024, 11:33:18 AM »
Outgoing freshmen are sophomores.

The best thing about incoming freshmen is that they become freshmen.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2024, 11:37:44 AM »
It will be interesting on offense to see how they play. Can Ben be an effective rim runner? Will Kam be able to operate the PNR at a decent clip? I think we'll see a ton more iso than we're used to.

Defensively I think they have a chance to be consistently more disruptive than past teams.

The offense will be completely different, IMO.  You can't just replace what TyKo and Oso had together.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2024, 11:47:59 AM »
Benny's gonna have to make a jump if those opportunities are to come to fruition.

Here's hoping he's ready for it!
[/quote

Strongly agree. And a team worst 95 and change ppp on D. I worry about our Kiwi. I think a lot of Scoopers ever-rate him.

If I’m wrong about him I ‘ll be a happy camper.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2024, 12:21:23 PM »
MU will need offense from 5 players to be good, watched the X vs MU game last night when Tyler was hurt, Oso and Kam were fantastic.  The secondary players offensively were non-existent. Jop was horrible, Chase could not find a shot, and Stevie was Stevie.  Without Oso, it will be interesting how the pick and roll will work, Ben is good on the pick and pop but teams will know that, they will need to get some easy baskets.  So I expect the 2 frosh to play more then you think and the 2 Sophs have to bring something to the table. The 5th is Gold who I have always questioned since he is not a center.  Need a surprise player to step up to have a good season.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2024, 12:31:18 PM »
Very low expectations for the true Freshman.  Starting 5 will be very good.  Overall success will be how much quality depth there is, need some combination of Tre, Zaide, Al, and Caedin to be ready to take the next step. If the true Freshman don't look completely lost I'll see it as a win.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2024, 12:58:27 PM »
Very low expectations for the true Freshman.  Starting 5 will be very good.  Overall success will be how much quality depth there is, need some combination of Tre, Zaide, Al, and Caedin to be ready to take the next step. If the true Freshman don't look completely lost I'll see it as a win.

I feel like this is going to be the mold for the majority of years. Always need the sophomores to take big jumps, the role players to step into stardom, the freshman to hopefully be contributors on the margins and if any freshman shows up able to do more than that to treat it like pure gravy.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2024, 01:17:47 PM »
I think Owens who will be the back up that needs to come in and play, as Jop can be really good or as I watched the X game really bad.  Surprised watching that game that Tre and Lowery played a lot in the game as Jop was benched. They both did not see the court against NCSt.  Interesting

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2024, 01:26:32 PM »
I think Owens who will be the back up that needs to come in and play, as Jop can be really good or as I watched the X game really bad.  Surprised watching that game that Tre and Lowery played a lot in the game as Jop was benched. They both did not see the court against NCSt.  Interesting

Neither Tre or Zaide play the same position as Jop.  The majority of the minutes that Jop lost @X went straight to your favorite player in Ben who had his season high in minutes off the bench, with the only game where he got more run being @CU when Oso was out. 

If Jop is struggling this year, right now, I would think Al or Hamilton would be in line to step in before Owens.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2024, 01:55:28 PM »
The freshman didn’t play a lot last year because we returned all but 1 contributor from a 2 seed.

I think both freshman get 10-15 mpg this year.

That's about where I come down on this.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2024, 02:27:07 PM »
MU will need offense from 5 players to be good, watched the X vs MU game last night when Tyler was hurt, Oso and Kam were fantastic.  The secondary players offensively were non-existent. Jop was horrible, Chase could not find a shot, and Stevie was Stevie.  Without Oso, it will be interesting how the pick and roll will work, Ben is good on the pick and pop but teams will know that, they will need to get some easy baskets.  So I expect the 2 frosh to play more then you think and the 2 Sophs have to bring something to the table. The 5th is Gold who I have always questioned since he is not a center.  Need a surprise player to step up to have a good season.

Rewatch the Nova BET game. Don’t even have to watch the whole game, just OT. Jop was good, an excellent secondary option for Kam.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2024, 02:31:03 PM »
Rewatch the Nova BET game. Don’t even have to watch the whole game, just OT. Jop was good, an excellent secondary option for Kam.

Yep, almost like you can't judge players from one game and college athletes will be inconsistent. We start 5 upperclassmen that have all been in Shaka's system their entire collegiate careers.  Given that alone, Freshman will likely not have a large role, and that is a good thing, because they will not need to have a large role.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2024, 02:36:08 PM »
Joplin had bad games.  This isn't news.   Expecting that to be the norm his senior year, or that he won't continue to improve, seems pessimistic to me.    I expect 15-17 ppg.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2024, 03:39:08 PM »
Those Sorinex plates are so damn cool. I would spend an irresponsible amount of money for a set.

Anyone know someone in the program who might be able to pawn em off whenever they inevitably get replaced?

U lookin just for 5 & 10 lbs plates right fam
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2024, 04:07:40 PM »
Joplin had bad games.  This isn't news.   Expecting that to be the norm his senior year, or that he won't continue to improve, seems pessimistic to me.    I expect 15-17 ppg.

I do not think Jop can be consistent enough to score like that, 12 would be more like it with Stevie getting 10 or so, can Chase average double figures as well? All question marks, do not see Ben averaging 10 as he as trouble with fouls.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2024, 04:52:22 PM »
I do not think Jop can be consistent enough to score like that, 12 would be more like it with Stevie getting 10 or so, can Chase average double figures as well? All question marks, do not see Ben averaging 10 as he as trouble with fouls.
The way I see it there will be games where Gold hits 3 or more threes and we will have a good chance of winning. There will be games were Gold hits no threes and we will have a good chance of losing. Gold hitting threes forces the other team to have to cover him on the outside.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2024, 06:06:32 PM »
I am hoping one of the bigs can play the pick and roll and get some easy baskets!

MuMark

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2024, 06:47:14 PM »
Arggh.... LeBron fans.   And Josh wanting to be invisible!   What was Shaka thinking?!?!?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2024, 08:54:12 PM »

Wonder how Marquette became the school where no freshman can ever have an impact?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2024, 08:56:27 PM »
When they had so many returning  and developing upperclassmen.   Like Bo used to do.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2024, 09:36:19 PM »

Wonder how Marquette became the school where no freshman can ever have an impact?

I would rather have very low expectations and be pleasantly surprised by someone like Kam, than expect a day one contribution and then be disappointed if they’re not immediately a high impact player. Remember how Vander was treated his Freshman year?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2024, 10:13:42 PM »

I know what you mean. That X MU game reminded me of when I watched Marquette play St. John's at the end of Shaka's first season. Darryl scored 20. Justin scored 28. Kuath scored 12. Greg Elliot scored 8. They were fantastic. The secondary players were non-existent. OMax had 2 points on 0/3 shooting. Kolek had 0 points. Kam only got 11 minutes because he couldn't defend. Joplin and Steive combined for 12 minutes. Oso was okay I guess with 7 points but he's too small to be a real center.

Clearly, a team anchored by Kolek, OMax, Oso, Kam, Joplin, and Stevie could never be any good.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 10:17:16 PM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2024, 08:21:56 AM »
I know what you mean. That X MU game reminded me of when I watched Marquette play St. John's at the end of Shaka's first season. Darryl scored 20. Justin scored 28. Kuath scored 12. Greg Elliot scored 8. They were fantastic. The secondary players were non-existent. OMax had 2 points on 0/3 shooting. Kolek had 0 points. Kam only got 11 minutes because he couldn't defend. Joplin and Steive combined for 12 minutes. Oso was okay I guess with 7 points but he's too small to be a real center.

Clearly, a team anchored by Kolek, OMax, Oso, Kam, Joplin, and Stevie could never be any good.

Yessir. Some Scoopers forget how flawed Kolek was that season, how limited Oso was, how frustrating Kam was, etc. Too many forget that lots and lots of players actually, you know, get better.

So yeah, last season's Tre Norman and Ben Gold and Chase Ross weren't really good enough. But we're not gonna get last season's Tre Norman and Ben Gold and Chase Ross.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2024, 11:01:19 AM »
One of the fun things about retaining players is that we get to see the yearly progress. I would never dismiss a players ability to improve from season to season. I fully expect to see noticeable improvement from all the guys to varied degrees. That said, I think Ben Gold has a breakout year and will silence a lot critics.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2024, 11:23:02 AM »
One of the fun things about retaining players is that we get to see the yearly progress. I would never dismiss a players ability to improve from season to season. I fully expect to see noticeable improvement from all the guys to varied degrees. That said, I think Ben Gold has a breakout year and will silence a lot critics.

I am very interested as well to see how Benny does. Our perimeter defense will be borderline elite this year with Chase and Stevie. I can see teams scheming to try and beat us in the post - Benny will have to step up his defense massively for MU to reach it's potential .