'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Did we underperform? by MUDPT
[Today at 05:44:33 AM]

[Paint Touches] The BEast’s new $480 Million TV deal is a huge win by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:58:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by MuMark
[June 29, 2024, 07:33:10 PM]

Media Rights Update by Nukem2
[June 29, 2024, 07:05:07 PM]

John Glaser by MUUWUWM
[June 29, 2024, 11:16:31 AM]

Kam is the Man by We R Final Four
[June 28, 2024, 10:17:17 PM]

Go Oso by THRILLHO
[June 28, 2024, 08:25:58 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: “I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68  (Read 7639 times)

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
Not my feeling. That of the “Field of 68 Podcast” starting at 10am central today, Wednesday May 30. Tune in and comment.

cheebs09

• All American
Considering people are searching for content, all I can say is "meh." Tax forms are the most exciting topic in MUBB right now.

tower912

• All American
Two ways MU does not make the tournament.
1.  An epic string of injuries
2.  0 development among the young players.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Not my feeling. That of the “Field of 68 Podcast” starting at 10am central today, Wednesday May 30. Tune in and comment.

I am scared and afraid of what the season will bring. I suggest we skip it entirely and come back in 2025.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
I am scared and afraid of what the season will bring. I suggest we skip it entirely and come back in 2025.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior4life88

• Walk-On
Goodman is high, ridiculous take IMHO. These pundits are caught up in program needing tranfer portal guys to succeed, just plain
stupid.

MU82

• All American
They're making guesses. Some might be right. Or wrong.

But we're talking about their college basketball take in late May, so I guess they've done their job.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American

Damn, I thought today was only the 29th
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
Damn, I thought today was only the 29th

Oops. My bad. To any who missed this, I would say, don’t even bother looking it up. Dearth of off-season podcast material for sure.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
It's May and it's just idle conversation.

That said, the conversation appears to be around three tiers being set up for 2024-25:

Well Positioned for NCAA
UConn
Creighton
Xavier (if Hunter and Freemantle stay healthy)

Positioned for NCAA Consideration
Marquette
St. John's
Providence
Butler

Not Positioned for NCAA Consideration
Villanova
Seton Hall
Georgetown
DePaul

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
Dauster is a tool who would still pledge a frat. Goodman is the ugliest human covering college sports and loves a hot take. 

But I personally did enjoy that “no one thinks MU will be that good” vibe 22/23 had. Sign me up for more doubters in 24/25.

• All American

That said, the conversation appears to be around three tiers being set up for 2024-25:

Well Positioned for NCAA
UConn
Creighton

Marquette
St. John's
Providence
Butler

Villanova
Seton Hall
Georgetown
DePaul

If Marquette stays healthy, they are a no doubt NCAA team and IMO will finish top 3.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

Well Positioned for NCAA
UConn
Creighton

Marquette
St. John's
Providence
Butler

Villanova
Seton Hall
Georgetown
DePaul

Switch MU and X, drop Butler a level, and I agree
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Goodman is an idiot. His first choice for breakout star after saying that was Ben Gold & Dauster suggested David Joplin.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jfp61

• All American
Creighton looks good, but who knows probably will be the team they always are.

Xavier won't "be healthy".
UConn, Karaban might still leave them.
St John's doesn't have shooting.
Providence can't coach offense. And no one is talking about how Bryce Hopkins might actually just suck.

But heaven forbid we need to worry about where "points" will come from outside of Kam Jones. As if points arn't just a function of play time, and all that matters is the efficency of the points.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Goodman is an idiot. His first choice for breakout star after saying that was Ben Gold & Dauster suggested David Joplin.

Last offseason, Jop focused on conditioning and defense.  Perhaps this offseason he will focus on polishing his offensive game.

An improved handle, maybe a post game, more iso scoring, etc.  Hopefully Jop can become more efficient while taking on a larger role.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
But heaven forbid we need to worry about where "points" will come from outside of Kam Jones. As if points arn't just a function of play time, and all that matters is the efficency of the points.

This is where we were two years ago when Justin and Darryl left. I think we did okay. I'm sure we will again.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
Last offseason, Jop focused on conditioning and defense.  Perhaps this offseason he will focus on polishing his offensive game.

An improved handle, maybe a post game, more iso scoring, etc.  Hopefully Jop can become more efficient while taking on a larger role.

I'm hoping for a killer mid-range game.

BM1090

• All American
I'm hoping for a killer mid-range game.

I actually do think we're going to see more mid range from him. But mostly in the 8-15 foot range. A fully actualized Jop hits that shot consistently, and I think Shaka gives him a shot to show that he can.

I hope he can and successful, even if it will lead to some here saying more of our team should be taking midrange shots.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
I actually do think we're going to see more mid range from him. But mostly in the 8-15 foot range. A fully actualized Jop hits that shot consistently, and I think Shaka gives him a shot to show that he can.

I hope he can and successful, even if it will lead to some here saying more of our team should be taking midrange shots.

There is zero evidence that we will see a midrange game from Jop or anyone else.  They're not going to suddenly deviate from the offense. 

PointWarrior

• All American
I’m worried for anyone who thinks Goodman says anything of intelligence…

jfp61

• All American
more iso scoring

Gross....

Only iso scoring needed is Kam.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
There is zero evidence that we will see a midrange game from Jop or anyone else.  They're not going to suddenly deviate from the offense.

I may be misremembering but I think Morsell and to a lesser extent Lewis had the green light for mid-range jumpers.  Maybe it was just the transition to the new system but maybe Shaka trusts certain guys to take them.

• All American
Joplin's game will be no different. He will just need to be better at it.

BM1090

• All American

Not sure about that. You need somewhere to throw the ball end of shot clock, and it can't always be Kam. Last ten seconds I think you'll see some Jop in the wide post both facing up and posting up. I'm not sure if that stats show he's effective or not there, but he's comfortable. Doesn't rush or overthink from that spot like he does on drives.

If Chase or maybe Tre develop some ability to create their own shot then I could be way off base. But as much as Shaka (rightfully) devalues midrange, he also values not turning the ball over and featuring his upperclassmen. And you need to have guys who can get a shot up in less than ideal situations. Kam to the hoop or driving, Jop post up and mid range seem to be the best options.

I'm not saying it'll be a featured part of the offense. It won't. But I think it'll be utilized more than it has been and it'll be good for both the team and Jop. Just like it was good for the team with Morsell.

feedback