[October 22, 2024, 07:09:33 PM]

Recruiting as of 9/15/24 by We R Final Four
[October 22, 2024, 06:51:53 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Oldgym
[October 22, 2024, 05:29:19 PM]

Marquette Retiring Jim Chones Jersey by Nukem2
[October 22, 2024, 04:06:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 WNBA Thread  (Read 22128 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: 2024 WNBA Thread
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2024, 09:28:02 AM »
It's absolutely hilarious how people who have watched fewer than 5 WNBA games in the last few years year (and none that don't include the Indiana Fever) believe they have something to add to a discussion of who belongs on Team USA for Paris. I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea whatsoever who the top 12 women's players in the country are. USA Basketball's number one priority should be Olympic Gold.  Maybe Clark belongs on the team -- I honestly don't know -- but not because she's popular or because it would be "good for the WNBA or women's basketball."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2024, 11:33:49 AM »
It's absolutely hilarious how people who have watched fewer than 5 WNBA games in the last few years year (and none that don't include the Indiana Fever) believe they have something to add to a discussion of who belongs on Team USA for Paris. I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea whatsoever who the top 12 women's players in the country are. USA Basketball's number one priority should be Olympic Gold.  Maybe Clark belongs on the team -- I honestly don't know -- but not because she's popular or because it would be "good for the WNBA or women's basketball."

I can actually see both arguments.  And by that I mean the legit reasonable arguments not the "CC isn't that good, she's just white" nonsense or the "CC is the GOAT and she's being unfairly maligned" BS. 

Do I think there is an argument that can be made that including her on the team to capitalize on the interest she's brought to the WNBA and womens BB in general?  Absolutely.  Yes the USA's priority is Gold, but they've won the last 7 Golds and won every knockout stage game in 2020 by 15+ points.  Regardless of CC vs whoever she would replace, they are going to steamroll the tournament yet again.

Honestly, the best and most undeniable argument to keep her off is exhaustion.  The college season goes RIGHT into the WNBA and she's been playing basically nonstop for 9 months.  She doesn't need the extra travel and games right now.  I think its VERY possible that if this was happening in summer 2025 she'd be a very likely choice, but not right now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2024, 12:06:07 PM »
They should put the best team together and don't think whatsoever about building the WNBA's brand or women's basketball as part of this.  Wags, I do think the issue of lack of significant off-time is one to consider as well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2024, 12:09:07 PM »
I have no idea if she's one of the best 12 players in the country, but it SHOULD be a non-story that she was left off. She's probably right on the fringe.

Personally I would have rather seen Ogunbowale get a spot before Clark. And the fatigue concerns are real.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2024, 12:30:15 PM »
She is the most popular basketball player in the world right now. So it's definitely a story.

Reasonable arguments can be made for putting her on the team and for leaving her off the team. I'd have had no qualms either way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2024, 12:46:36 PM »
I think she also missed the main training camp due to being in the Final Four, so there is that angle as well. I don't really see an issue with her not being on the team. I assumed it was largely due to the amount of basketball she's played in a short period of time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2024, 01:36:59 PM »
She is the most popular basketball player in the world right now. So it's definitely a story.

Reasonable arguments can be made for putting her on the team and for leaving her off the team. I'd have had no qualms either way.

I think this is a reasonable take.

Should be all merit imo and on that basis she (again my opinion) falls short.But she is the most popular player on the planet and a lot more people would watch if she was on the team. And (I think) Magic Johnson made the dream team after he retired and rookie Christian Laettner was also on that team.

Either way, ok with me.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2024, 02:20:57 PM »
i believe if they really wanted to choose caitlin-note key word-WANTED, they could have made room for her by removing taurasi or chelsea gray who hasn't played a game all season due to injury from last years finals.

clark is the most popular player in the nation if not the world right now.  she's filling up arenas 4-5 times the size they would otherwise fill
felz Houston ate uncle boozie's hands

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2024, 02:26:42 PM »
They don't have to worry about filling arenas in the Olympics.

Anyway, if Gray can't go, they can sub her out at some point before the games begin. They don't start for six weeks.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2024, 02:42:37 PM »
I’d rather have women with international experience.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2024, 02:55:23 PM »
I’d rather have women with international experience.

Not an argument for putting her on the team, but Clark has represented the U.S. in several FIBA tournaments.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2024, 03:04:41 PM »
I think this is a reasonable take.

Should be all merit imo and on that basis she (again my opinion) falls short.But she is the most popular player on the planet and a lot more people would watch if she was on the team. And (I think) Magic Johnson made the dream team after he retired and rookie Christian Laettner was also on that team.

Either way, ok with me.

Yep. One could make a pretty strong argument that Magic, Bird and obviously Laettner were not among the 12 best players in America in the summer of 1992.

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2024, 03:23:17 PM »
Magic was only retired due to his HIV diagnosis. He had made the All NBA team the last year he played. Bird...yeah he clearly was done by that time. I guess maybe they could have gone with 'Nique instead? But I think if they took Johnson, they were taking Bird.

Laettner was only added because people wanted a college guy on there. Which was strange then and only stranger in retrospect.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2024, 03:32:34 PM »
Magic was only retired due to his HIV diagnosis. He had made the All NBA team the last year he played. Bird...yeah he clearly was done by that time. I guess maybe they could have gone with 'Nique instead? But I think if they took Johnson, they were taking Bird.

Laettner was only added because people wanted a college guy on there. Which was strange then and only stranger in retrospect.

Larry probably was an honorary selection, but he was still a quality player.  The season before the Olympics, he averaged 20.2/9.6/6.8 and was 14th in MVP voting. He was top 15 in player efficiency rating and win shares/per 48, and his true shooting, rebounding and assist percentages were all in the neighborhood of his career averages. Far from the guy he was 6-7 years earlier, but not a complete charity case.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2024, 04:50:53 PM »
I have no opinion on whether she should be on the team or not because I am largely ignorant about the other players. I was having an conversation with someone who was completely up in arms about Clark being "snubbed" and during the conversation it was absolutely clear that she had not even heard of most of the players on the team. Literally had never even heard of A'ja Wilson, yet had on opinion that Clark should have made the team based on talent. She was very annoyed by my refusal to take a position on the subject because I simply had no idea whether Clark deserved a spot.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2024, 04:59:02 PM »
I can actually see both arguments.

I absolutely understand the argument that she should be on the team because it will advance the game and draw viewers. I disagree with it, but I do understand it. What I'm specifically commenting on is people who have absolutely no idea where CC stands in comparison to other players in the WBNA talent-wise, but are insistent that she deserved a spot on the team based on talent. I have little doubt that she'll probably win an Olympic medal or two (or three...) before she's done.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2024, 06:08:12 PM »
Yep. It's like people who are outraged that so-and-so didn't make first-time All-Pro. But then ask who that person should have replaced, and it's "uh ... I don't know."

And that goes double for the WNBA, because a whole lot of folks became fans about 11 seconds ago.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2024, 06:40:43 PM »
This year’s men’s team has a head scratcher too. Hoe is Jalen Brunson not on it instead of Jrue Holiday?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2024, 06:41:20 PM »
This year’s men’s team has a head scratcher too. Hoe is Jalen Brunson not on it instead of Jrue Holiday?

Didn’t Brunson get hurt in the Pacers series?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2024, 08:25:44 PM »

Because Jrue was one of their 3 best players when they won a gold medal in 2021.

If I want to win a title, give me Jrue over a handful of guys on the roster. To win a scoring title? No. Even win regular season games? Probably not. But to win a title? Yup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2024, 08:39:41 PM »
Probably will be their best perimeter defender.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2024, 09:19:07 PM »
Didn’t Brunson get hurt in the Pacers series?

Yea he broke his hand less than a month ago and needed surgery.  Expecting him to be healed for the Olympics, much less in game form/not rusty, is unlikely.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2024, 10:55:17 PM »

Agreed. I meant her getting “snubbed” should not be a story. Close call that could have gone either way.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2024, 03:13:01 PM »
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/40378767/sky-fever-angel-reese-caitlin-clark-tops-wnba-ratings

I thought the disgusting act of violence that went without retaliation in the first Sky vs. Fever matchup ended the WNBA for good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2024, 03:30:23 PM »

feedback