'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing  (Read 27917 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2024, 05:35:20 PM »
*Danny

I keep doing this, and I can't stop.  I am broken.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2024, 05:58:03 PM »
I would like both, saw Jensen last year, has improved over the summer, think he has big upside, Ward no idea but great stats at the Peach Jam against the best high school kids in America. Jensen would be a nice pickup when Gold is gone.  Ward is going to after the two freshman in the program right now. Do you like Batemon or Stevens, do you like Clark over Kai Rogers?
I like Clark because he said yes.  Rogers had a chance and did not take it. Now MU needs versatile switchables, not more bigs.  So give me Ward. Bateman already said yes to Iowa State, so who cares?  Stevens, obviously.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 06:59:53 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2024, 06:28:36 PM »
I’d like to give Brian Wardle a chance.  The Shaka era is a bust
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2024, 07:09:50 PM »
I like Clark because he said yes.  Rogers had a chance and did not take it. Now MU needs versatile switchables, not more bigs.  So give me Ward. Bateman already said yes to Iowa State, so who cares?  Stevens, obviously.

You really did not answer the question? But are those 2 from Milwaukee better than a player that did not have an offer from a Texas school or a guy with many offers?  Batemon lost got it, but was he better then Stevens time will tell.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2024, 07:42:32 PM »
I did.  I prefer Clark because he said yes.  I prefer Stevens because he hasn't committed elsewhere.

And they aren't local.to me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2024, 07:48:59 PM »
While I certainly wouldn't have said no to Rogers, I do think Clark is a much better fit in this system. I was a bit surprised we were in on Rogers as long as we were, he just doesn't seem to fit the mold of what we're after, especially with Caedin Hamilton already in the fold. Clark looks more mobile and longer.

I would've liked Batemon, but Iowa State was in there first with strong local ties and it was just too much ground to make up. It happens.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2024, 07:56:27 PM »
Add one portal player every year where you see weaknesses moving forward. He will not do that but should.  Secondly, he has a big enough name to go after a top 20 recruit, missed on KK, tried. Thirdly, try and keep local talent here
If only Shaka were as Smart as you.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 07:59:04 PM by avid1010 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2024, 08:33:30 PM »
Maybe Danny Hurley is just a better coach than Shaka.

And what do you think MU should do about that?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2024, 08:33:47 PM »
Maybe Danny Hurley is just a better coach than Shaka.

And what do you think MU should do about that?

Hire him
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2024, 09:01:26 PM »
If you are content to be an above average team, win a game or two in the tourney, so be it.  I would like more.
I would like more too. I do feel Shaka will gets us to a FF. A lot has to go our way, of course. But we have the facilities and finances, and I think the talent will ultimately come together, so I’m optimistic.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2024, 09:06:40 PM »
MU had teams the last two season that could have made the final 4.   But they lost.     So, MU is there.   But, come tournament time, shoot a normal percentage from 3.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2024, 05:59:24 AM »
Or what?
Pretty obvious. Or Hurley keeps building that distance. Sorry you cannot figure such simple things out.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2024, 06:58:28 AM »
MU had teams the last two season that could have made the final 4.   But they lost.     So, MU is there.   But, come tournament time, shoot a normal percentage from 3.
100%

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2024, 07:03:46 AM »
But we have the facilities and finances, and I think the talent will ultimately come together, so I’m optimistic.
I'm less optimistic on the finances...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2024, 08:11:38 AM »
I would like more too. I do feel Shaka will gets us to a FF. A lot has to go our way, of course. But we have the facilities and finances, and I think the talent will ultimately come together, so I’m optimistic.

But the real question is does Shaka beat RED?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #190 on: July 27, 2024, 08:36:00 AM »
Pretty obvious. Or Hurley keeps building that distance. Sorry you cannot figure such simple things out.

Another immutable truth revealed only by your enchanting wit, Dung Willie
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #191 on: July 27, 2024, 08:40:30 AM »
I'm less optimistic on the finances...

I'll start worrying about the finances when I see actual worrisome data coupled with a trend.

The new reality is too new for any trend, and I haven't seen data suggesting Marquette can't compete.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2024, 08:47:14 AM »
I'll start worrying about the finances when I see actual worrisome data coupled with a trend.

The new reality is too new for any trend, and I haven't seen data suggesting Marquette can't compete.

MU pays there players well, can compete but can they compete like Arkansas or Kentucky not sure. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #193 on: July 27, 2024, 09:08:31 AM »

I agree, but money does not always equate to Championships; just look at the Dodgers and Yankees.

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2024, 09:45:00 AM »

Continuously the dumbest person on scoop

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2024, 11:26:36 AM »

I'm not sure Shaka doesn't take a swing at the portal or a 5 star if the money is there.  I've seen and heard enough to be concerned.  Not that MU can't compete, but they aren't top 25 in payroll.  That's mostly coming from a discussion with a former Crean era player....could certainly be poor info.

I think Shaka is taking the right approach given MU's financial situation, but I admittedly don't know the specifics.  It would be interesting if things were more transparent with the $...I think people would view things differently.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2024, 11:36:43 AM »
I'm not sure Shaka doesn't take a swing at the portal or a 5 star if the money is there.  I've seen and heard enough to be concerned.  Not that MU can't compete, but they aren't top 25 in payroll.  That's mostly coming from a discussion with a former Crean era player....could certainly be poor info.

I think Shaka is taking the right approach given MU's financial situation, but I admittedly don't know the specifics.  It would be interesting if things were more transparent with the $...I think people would view things differently.

I see the foundation of Shaka's team and culture being chemistry, and someone coming in making $1 million+ before putting on a MU uniform would upend that, as it has other teams (Seton Hall last season, for example, SLU a few years ago, Fresno State women, Miami).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2024, 12:26:07 PM »

If what you are suggesting is true, why would MUBB want transparency?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 09:49:47 PM by We R Final Four »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2024, 02:07:10 PM »
Based on the responses, I’m comfortable repeating:

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2024, 08:10:19 PM »
Continuously the dumbest person on scoop
Says an expert on dumb.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.