[September 27, 2024, 10:34:14 PM]

More conference realignment talk by Viper
[September 27, 2024, 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 03:11:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NIL Future  (Read 35149 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: NIL Future
« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2024, 08:41:29 PM »
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Either you are insanely naive or insanely dumb.
So, you are saying Sluka knew he was breaking the law? Let me get your position straight. The OC told him in December that he would get 100K to come to UNLV. He signs in January and lets the agent take care of everything. He then doesn't say a word until August when he shows up for practice. His check is not there, so he lets his agent do the talking until after the first 2 games?  He doesn't get anything in writing, nor does he ask what personal engagements he will need to do to earn his NIL. Pay for play is illegal in Nevada. Unclean hands, simple as that. Both sides.

You keep being you
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 08:51:13 PM by lawdog77 »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2024, 08:49:27 PM »
What I love about this is from what I read is everyone who is "anti NIL" is anti everything that Al was for.  And since my dad was a roommate of Allie and a manager of Al for 3 years, a producer of Al's Run and involved in his other businesses, I know that Al would be the most pro NIL coach of all time.  I cannot understand how these old timers, who portend to be Marquette guys get off on thinking their (backward) way is the right way.  They are 100% going aginst Al.  Makes no sense. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 08:52:56 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2024, 08:51:03 PM »
So, you are saying Sluka knew he was breaking the law? You keep being you

I guess me being me means that I’m not a naive dimwit.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2024, 08:52:30 PM »
I am not naive. I am sure this is happening at most schools. The only dimwit  here is Sluka for not getting it in writing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2024, 09:03:02 PM »
Lawdog, I don't think anyone is arguing that Sluka didn't make a mistake not getting things in writing. But if his version is true, and the school's statement didn't deny that it was, then UNLV messed up and Sluka is justified in seeking a transfer. Sluka may be a rube, but that doesn't mean he should keep playing once he realized that he had been had.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2024, 10:08:28 PM »
What I love about this is from what I read is everyone who is "anti NIL" is anti everything that Al was for.  And since my dad was a roommate of Allie and a manager of Al for 3 years, a producer of Al's Run and involved in his other businesses, I know that Al would be the most pro NIL coach of all time.  I cannot understand how these old timers, who portend to be Marquette guys get off on thinking their (backward) way is the right way.  They are 100% going aginst Al.  Makes no sense.

Lens
I think the “most pro NIL coach of all time” may be a stretch but you’re right that Al always encouraged his players to take care of themselves and their families first. Use basketball, don’t let it use you was his motto. For most, that meant using their time at MU to get the degree that meant success once their eligibility ended. For the elite, it sometimes meant leaving early and taking the money.

Pro NIL? Yes, with one caveat. Al was a dictator, and if he saw the money interfering with his unquestioned authority it would have given him pause.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #231 on: Today at 04:19:58 AM »
. A second player has now how left using similar language to what Slutska was saying -
#Lies

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #232 on: Today at 06:52:09 AM »
Here’s an Al McGuire quote:

"We must graduate people who are not qualified. You must allow certain people who are not qualified to come out of college. Then their children will go to college, and they will become corporate lawyers and neurosurgeons."

If you don’t think that guy would want his players getting NIL, you’re not being honest with yourself.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #233 on: Today at 07:19:42 AM »
Here’s an Al McGuire quote:

"We must graduate people who are not qualified. You must allow certain people who are not qualified to come out of college. Then their children will go to college, and they will become corporate lawyers and neurosurgeons."

If you don’t think that guy would want his players getting NIL, you’re not being honest with yourself.

Anyone that doesn’t think Al would be pro-NIL is living in a fantasyland
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #234 on: Today at 09:20:23 AM »
You also don’t get salary caps without a union.
when I championed college amateur athletics…you said pay them. Ok, so…pay them…and yet you want a union and salary caps? Which is it?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #235 on: Today at 09:23:23 AM »
… 🤔

Viper

• All American
« Reply #236 on: Today at 09:33:26 AM »
Anyone that doesn’t think Al would be pro-NIL is living in a fantasyland
yes, but as Lenny’s Tap said…up to the point where Al’s authority is eroded.  Current example…Michael Andretti is out of Andretti Autosport…his own and namesake race team!!! Why? Big $ sponsor unhappy with…Michael Andretti. So, Andretti out, or $-man out. Andretti diminished to the point $-man wins. NIL is going to get wild and soon.
btw, could we get AL off the waistband and back on the jersey, please.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #237 on: Today at 09:35:53 AM »
yes, but as Lenny’s Tap said…up to the point where Al’s authority is eroded.  Current example…Michael Andretti is out of Andretti Autosport…his own and namesake race team!!! Why? Big $ sponsor unhappy with…Michael Andretti. So, Andretti out, or $-man out. Andretti diminished to the point $-man wins. NIL is going to get wild and soon.
btw, could we get AL off the waistband and back on the jersey, please.

What does Andretti sports have to do with Al supporting NIL?

• All American
« Reply #238 on: Today at 09:41:21 AM »
when I championed college amateur athletics…you said pay them. Ok, so…pay them…and yet you want a union and salary caps? Which is it?

Both. Assuming a union would agree to a cap, it would collectively bargain something in return.

But amateurism sucks and should have died a long time ago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #239 on: Today at 10:03:04 AM »
Both. Assuming a union would agree to a cap, it would collectively bargain something in return.

You do realize that if there is a salary cap, college athletics is still in a similar situation it is now. Teams "cheating" by having fake NIL deals to lure players to the school.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #240 on: Today at 10:09:19 AM »
What does Andretti sports have to do with Al supporting NIL?
Andretti lost control. Authority eroded due to $. Al would support NIL to a point, until $ erodes authority. (probably why Saban retired from ‘Bama. He saw it coming)

Viper

• All American
« Reply #241 on: Today at 10:11:23 AM »

amateurism sucks is your opinion. That’s fine. Not all of us agree.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #242 on: Today at 10:15:46 AM »
Andretti lost control. Authority eroded due to $. Al would support NIL to a point, until $ erodes authority. (probably why Saban retired from ‘Bama. He saw it coming)

Yes, money has never dictated the security of coaches in college athletics.  Not a single instance of money influencing whether a coach stays or goes, no sir.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #243 on: Today at 10:25:21 AM »
When did Viper go from simply being a poster obsessed with the Badgers to rocket 2.0?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #244 on: Today at 10:40:24 AM »
When did Viper go from simply being a poster obsessed with the Badgers to rocket 2.0?

Scoop radicalizes people

• All American
« Reply #245 on: Today at 10:47:12 AM »
amateurism sucks is your opinion. That’s fine. Not all of us agree.

Your opinion sucks.

• All American
« Reply #246 on: Today at 10:48:13 AM »
You do realize that if there is a salary cap, college athletics is still in a similar situation it is now. Teams "cheating" by having fake NIL deals to lure players to the school.

NIL collectives can be managed as related institutions and be subject to similar caps.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #247 on: Today at 10:56:07 AM »
NIL collectives can be managed as related institutions and be subject to similar caps.
That doesnt solve the problem. Caps=room for cheating by paying under the table, so to speak. Youcannot limit how much a personmales in NIL.

• All American
« Reply #248 on: Today at 10:58:48 AM »
That doesnt solve the problem. Caps=room for cheating by paying under the table, so to speak. Youcannot limit how much a personmales in NIL.

You can from NIL collectives associated with an institution. There are precedents for those in place now. Outside those…no. And that’s fine.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #249 on: Today at 11:17:08 AM »
You can from NIL collectives associated with an institution. There are precedents for those in place now. Outside those…no. And that’s fine.
Again , salary caps will not stop the cheating and paying under the table.Not having a salary cap would. Not having a salary cap would eliminate the need for the collectives. Players would be free to sign their own NIL deals.