Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NIL Future  (Read 33316 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: NIL Future
« Reply #150 on: Today at 08:56:51 AM »
If this is true (and I have no idea if it is) then of course the player stopped playing. Not a single one of us would continue to work for a company that paid us 12% of what they offered.

So it appears that the “company” (the collective) never offered anything. Coaches (who I don’t believe are supposed to act in concert with the collective) may have but it’s not their “company”.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #151 on: Today at 09:31:34 AM »
So it appears that the “company” (the collective) never offered anything. Coaches (who I don’t believe are supposed to act in concert with the collective) may have but it’s not their “company”.

I don't really care about a semantical critique of a metaphor. If you want to pretend that coaches and collectives don't work together that's your business.  If a coach, aka the players future boss, says come play for me and you'll get paid $100K, and then the player is only given $12K, the player is justified in transferring. End of story.

If the players version is true (and I have no idea if it is) then the coach is at fault and the player it's doing what any logical person would do in this situation
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #152 on: Today at 12:34:10 PM »
I don't really care about a semantical critique of a metaphor. If you want to pretend that coaches and collectives don't work together that's your business.  If a coach, aka the players future boss, says come play for me and you'll get paid $100K, and then the player is only given $12K, the player is justified in transferring. End of story.

If the players version is true (and I have no idea if it is) then the coach is at fault and the player it's doing what any logical person would do in this situation

I’m not trying to “pretend” anything. Of course a coach shouldn’t verbally offer something he can’t deliver on - but isn’t it the job of the collective ((not a coach) to negotiate NIL? And shouldn’t there be a written agreement?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #153 on: Today at 12:59:27 PM »
I’m not trying to “pretend” anything. Of course a coach shouldn’t verbally offer something he can’t deliver on - but isn’t it the job of the collective ((not a coach) to negotiate NIL? And shouldn’t there be a written agreement?

Clearly there should be a written agreement. But a college coach should not be telling a student something verbally that he has no authority to back up. I would even classify it as a fire-able offense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #154 on: Today at 01:58:05 PM »
Clearly there should be a written agreement. But a college coach should not be telling a student something verbally that he has no authority to back up. I would even classify it as a fire-able offense.

Especially when failing to deliver on that promise costs your team its starting QB three games into the season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #155 on: Today at 02:08:47 PM »

It sounds like we agree that (assuming their version is actually true) the player is justified in transferring.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #156 on: Today at 02:11:26 PM »
It sounds like we agree that (assuming their version is actually true) the player is justified in transferring.

Totally

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #157 on: Today at 02:27:57 PM »
I just don't understand how UNLV could let this unfold the way it did.  Even if the player is 100% lying, and went to the coach and said he got a 100K offer somewhere else and needed it matched in order to stay, how do you not find a way to come up with that money?

You're 3-0 with two true road win.  Your toughest remaining games are Syracuse and Boise St, both of which are at home.  You're considered a real contender to make the CFP, and you couldn't scrape together the money to pay your best player?

This is not like the millions of dollars that kid from Miami was supposedly offered and then rescinded. 100K is literally a drop in the ocean, even for a Mountain West level program. 

Sure you can say that it sets a bad precedence and your backups might be able to get the job done, but man, it sure seems like potentially flushing what could have been an all time season for a program that hasn't won a bowl game in 2+ decades.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:29:50 PM by Its DJOver »
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #158 on: Today at 02:38:30 PM »
I just don't understand how UNLV could let this unfold the way it did.  Even if the player is 100% lying, and went to the coach and said he got a 100K offer somewhere else and needed it matched in order to stay, how do you not find a way to come up with that money?

You're 3-0 with two true road win.  Your toughest remaining games are Syracuse and Boise St, both of which are at home.  You're considered a real contender to make the CFP, and you couldn't scrape together the money to pay your best player?

This is not like the millions of dollars that kid from Miami was supposedly offered and then rescinded. 100K is literally a drop in the ocean, even for a Mountain West level program. 

Sure you can say that it sets a bad precedence and your backups might be able to get the job done, but man, it sure seems like potentially flushing what could have been an all time season for a program that hasn't won a bowl game in 2+ decades.

Seriously, they could have gone to the Raiders and asked for the money. A good UNLV team puts more people in their stadium, which means more revenues for the Raiders. The team already has contributed $1 million to the NIL fund. I'm sure Mark Davis could come up with $100K (I mean, think of all the money he saves on his PF Chang's frequent diner rewards).

MUbiz

• All American
« Reply #159 on: Today at 02:39:49 PM »
I believe all UNLV players get paid the same amount NIL wise - and if that is the case, I can see why the coach would not match the new offer.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #160 on: Today at 03:07:07 PM »
I'm told these players are slaves. Just bust out the whip and get back to work.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #161 on: Today at 03:36:52 PM »
I believe all UNLV players get paid the same amount NIL wise - and if that is the case, I can see why the coach would not match the new offer.

Sorry, I don't think you can just put the toothpaste back in the tube like that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #162 on: Today at 03:48:48 PM »

If the player is 100% lying and trying to blackmail the program because they’re 3-0 you think UNLV should cave to his demands? I’m all for players being able to negotiate but renegotiating mid season is a very bad precedent.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #163 on: Today at 03:52:42 PM »
If the player is 100% lying and trying to blackmail the program because they’re 3-0 you think UNLV should cave to his demands? I’m all for players being able to negotiate but renegotiating mid season is a very bad precedent.

If his demands were 100K? Absolutely. 

How much did they get paid to go to Houston? Kansas? What's the potential payout for making the CFP (certainly wouldn't have been a given), even if its just to get curb stomped by Georgia?
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

• All American
« Reply #164 on: Today at 03:56:59 PM »
What? So you think that if he is lying, and was never promised $100,000, that they should just cave to his demand anyway because they may make the College Football Playoff?

That's an insane take really. That is an absolutely terrible way to do business.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #165 on: Today at 04:00:20 PM »
What? So you think that if he is lying, and was never promised $100,000, that they should just cave to his demand anyway because they may make the College Football Playoff?

That's an insane take really. That is an absolutely terrible way to do business.

Again, how much did the program get paid to go to Houston.  How much did the program get paid to go to Kansas?  How many additional tickets have they sold to their future games because people want to see winning CFP potential teams? If he had asked for 1 mil, I probably would have told him to pack his bags, but 100K isn't that much relatively speaking.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #166 on: Today at 04:04:34 PM »
Again, how much did the program get paid to go to Houston.  How much did the program get paid to go to Kansas?  How many additional tickets have they sold to their future games because people want to see winning CFP potential teams? If he had asked for 1 mil, I probably would have told him to pack his bags, but 100K isn't that much relatively speaking.

So if the blackmail amount is reasonable ignore the fact that it’s blackmail? No way.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #167 on: Today at 04:07:02 PM »
So if the blackmail amount is reasonable ignore the fact that it’s blackmail? No way.

I guess we'll see how it works out for UNLV.  I can think of plenty of programs that would have cut the check though. Blackmail or not.

• All American
« Reply #168 on: Today at 04:07:16 PM »

I have no idea how much they made, and it really doesn't matter. Three game in, with A LOT of football left to play, and you want to reward a player who wants to renegotiate his NIL agreement under threat of transfer? 

How does that play with the other players in the locker room? What if the entire offensive line then does the same thing?

My guess is saying "goodbye" and letting his back up run the show will have a much better long-term impact on the team than caving.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #169 on: Today at 04:09:21 PM »
I guess we'll see how it works out for UNLV.  I can think of plenty of programs that would have cut the check though. Blackmail or not.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #170 on: Today at 04:09:54 PM »
Since I am not privvy to the facts, If his team is actually good,and if he is actually good, his agent should be able to get him legitimate NIL deals.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #171 on: Today at 04:12:09 PM »

I have no idea how much they made, and it really doesn't matter. Three game in, with A LOT of football left to play, and you want to reward a player who wants to renegotiate his NIL agreement under threat of transfer? 

How does that play with the other players in the locker room? What if the entire offensive line then does the same thing?

My guess is saying "goodbye" and letting his back up run the show will have a much better long-term impact on the team than caving.

Well we're talking hypotheticals here so our differing opinions on long term impact are just that, opinions.

If I were in charge of the UNLV collective though, I would have found a way to make it work, and probably would have gotten something in writing that he couldn't disclose what his bonus was to his teammates.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #172 on: Today at 04:13:06 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #173 on: Today at 05:51:55 PM »
I take it you disagree?

I do, and it would be foolish of any team to acquiesce to blackmail.  Establishing written agreements prior to arriving on campus would be what any reasonable school should do.

In this particular circumstance the school has two options.

1. Deny there was ever a deal (they should be doing this, but my guess is they knew there was a deal and there are reciepts)

2. Fire the coach and admit the mistake and establish that all deals will require paperwork from now on to prevent the same thing from happening ever again.

What they're doing now is the worst thing they could be doing.  Player has walked, they have no narrative control, nor have they acknowledged that the policy should change.  UNLV could not be handling this worse.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #174 on: Today at 05:55:48 PM »
I think you are underestimating the amount of money people are willing to spend in order to win, regardless of the circumstances.

feedback