[September 27, 2024, 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[September 27, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Punched in the mouth  (Read 16310 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Punched in the mouth
« on: February 17, 2024, 04:12:16 PM »
Sometimes, it’s good.

Especially when you don’t expect it.

Blip on the season radar. Worst part is no regular season title, but I’ve heard March is king…

The litmus test March, no pressure

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Punched in the mouth
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 04:14:49 PM »
Sometimes, it’s good.

Especially when you don’t expect it.

Blip on the season radar. Worst part is no regular season title, but I’ve heard March is king…

The litmus test March, no pressure

When you’re looking to compete for a national title, having a chance to win late in conference play against the reigning national champion and number one team in the country is an opportunity to prove you’re ready for that.

Losing by 30 is not a good thing no matter how you try to twist this. Overwhelmed by a better team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 04:22:44 PM »
The yappy chihuahua probably agrees with you Doc. I sure don't.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 04:28:41 PM »
When you’re looking to compete for a national title, having a chance to win late in conference play against the reigning national champion and number one team in the country is an opportunity to prove you’re ready for that.

Losing by 30 is not a good thing no matter how you try to twist this. Overwhelmed by a better team.

Sure, but this is no twist.

I actually thought Marquette might win.

Most “casuals” only care about March success.

Imo last year was a more successful season, but this season will be looked at as more successful, and I’m ok with that.

I think Marquette makes the Elite 8 (even with this loss) and that’s great. Anything less than a FF makes last year more impressive imo.

Let the fans be happy.
Make the Final Four like this team should and let everyone be happy.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 04:43:26 PM »
I’m with Doc……a close win today and perhaps the same plaguing issues aren’t addressed. Hopefully, now they will.

Jop continues not to box out.
Jop continues to get beat on the first step.
Kam needs to get right. 2 airballs from deep…..want to see more of those crafty drives.

Maybe this beat down will be ammunition that Shaka can use to get this team where we all want it to be.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 04:45:02 PM »
Sure, but this is no twist.

I actually thought Marquette might win.

Most “casuals” only care about March success.

Imo last year was a more successful season, but this season will be looked at as more successful, and I’m ok with that.

I think Marquette makes the Elite 8 (even with this loss) and that’s great. Anything less than a FF makes last year more impressive imo.

Let the fans be happy.

Bolded is something we are in full agreement on, but I think an EE is more likely the ceiling. While a natty is still possible, after today my hopes and dreams of one have vanished and I don't expect them to return. Even in a really bad game, National Champs do not play like Marquette did today.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 04:46:20 PM »

Like they should?

Are you a UConn fan?

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 04:58:54 PM »
I believe the loss of Sean Jones took us out of title contention.  He was a pace changer, defensive spark, gave Tyler a rest . . . so many little things to his game.  He created havoc on defense and I have not seen that since he was injured.  It is a different team.

The team as it is now would have to play to perfection to get to the Final Four.  Marquette cannot start a game in the Tourney shooting 0-6, 0-8, 0-10, whatever . . . from the 3 point line.  It seems to happen frequently against any team not named Georgetown.

Very down at the moment.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 05:05:26 PM »
I hope we get punched in the mouth @ Creighton to get us ready for the rematch with UCONN 4 days later.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 05:06:30 PM »
I hope we get punched in the mouth @ Creighton to get us ready for the rematch with UCONN 4 days later.

Lol so true.  The coping levels here today are crazy.  Suddenly it’s good to lose by 30 pts.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 05:07:11 PM »
I believe the loss of Sean Jones took us out of title contention.  He was a pace changer, defensive spark, gave Tyler a rest . . . so many little things to his game.  He created havoc on defense and I have not seen that since he was injured.  It is a different team.

The team as it is now would have to play to perfection to get to the Final Four.  Marquette cannot start a game in the Tourney shooting 0-6, 0-8, 0-10, whatever . . . from the 3 point line.  It seems to happen frequently against any team not named Georgetown.

Very down at the moment.

It’s almost like you haven’t watched a game over the last month.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 05:08:32 PM »
Bolded is something we are in full agreement on, but I think an EE is more likely the ceiling. While a natty is still possible, after today my hopes and dreams of one have vanished and I don't expect them to return. Even in a really bad game, National Champs do not play like Marquette did today.
maybe a Sweet 16 team, maybe. Matchups are so critical. Our flaws will make a deep run difficult, imo.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 05:09:03 PM »
The 2002 team lost to UAB and sneaked by Holy Cross in the First Round. Not freaking out about a single game is the best, and only, option. Move on and learn. Plenty of season left.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2024, 05:09:08 PM »

A beat down in the Tourney against Whatever A&M sets-ups Marquette nicely for the 24-25 season.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2024, 05:09:24 PM »

Are you a relative of Sean Jones?

Because it is almost quiet literally the opposite.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2024, 05:09:31 PM »
I’ll say this as well…

It’s insane to ignore the final 25+ minutes of this game but in the first 10 minutes or so Marquette looked like they could and possible should win the game.

They scored like 10 points in the paint.

Then they continued to drive a bit and got bumped bad, a lot of no calls that led to turnovers.
Then they fully lost their way.
As they lost their way they became bounty soft on the other end.

No im not blaming the refs, im moreso blaming Marquette for not continuing to pound the paint and instead settling for 3s.

Everything changed after that.
This team needs to pass on 3s more often than not, because their bread and butter is getting good looks in the paint from 2.
They did it with Clingan, then went away from it for no reason.
They were open, so you’d hate to not take them, but when they don’t fall you can’t carry it over to the other end and defend like DePaul.

Kudos to UConn for smelling the blood and going medieval, I now understand Muggsys definition

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2024, 05:12:22 PM »
The loss today will hurt MU's tournament seeding. A close loss would not affect it, but a beatdown like this will unless MU can beat UConn in Milwaukee - which I am not confident about.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2024, 05:12:50 PM »
The loss today will hurt MU's tournament seeding. A close loss would not affect it, but a beatdown like this will unless MU can beat UConn in Milwaukee - which I am not confident about.

Disagree.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2024, 05:13:54 PM »

Not how it works.

We certainly don’t need wins against UCONN and at Creighton just to keep our hopes of a 2 alive.

More like we need to win all other games and not lose to anyone other than those teams to stay on the 2 line.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2024, 05:14:21 PM »
Are you a relative of Sean Jones?

Because it is almost quiet literally the opposite.

I stand by my opinion.  We'll know in a month.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2024, 05:14:34 PM »
It’s almost like you haven’t watched a game over the last month.

It’s almost like you vastly overrate a winning streak against middle of the pack Big East teams.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2024, 05:15:39 PM »

It’s not an opinion. Your post was literally wrong.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2024, 05:17:25 PM »
Marquette still likely looking at a 2 or 3 barring something very unexpected.

Beat Creighton on the road or UConn at home and probably a 2.

Lost both and likely a 3 unless they lose another 2/3 on top of that.

Best part about todays debacle is what the purists on this site have been preaching all season…

Regular season no matta, March mattas.

It personally pains me for Marquette to not lift another BE ship, but I do think that it’s a blessing that all eggs are now in the NCAA tourney basket.

Elite 8 or bust for casuals.

Final 4 or last year was better for me.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2024, 05:18:33 PM »
Too many missing pieces to win the National Championship.  Close, but not enough bench depth.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2024, 05:20:05 PM »

Marquette likely is not a "title contender" no matter what. Only one team can win it. MU is a top 15 team and probably not a top 5 team. But before today, here is every contributors plus minus.

Tyler Kolek +230
Oso Ighodaro +245
Stevie Mitchell +153
Kam Jones +183
David Joplin +199
Chase Ross +117
Ben Gold +133
Sean Jones +25

Sean Played in 16 games. Chase 19. Stevie 20. Kam 23. Everyone Else 24.