Marquette NBA Thread by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[October 17, 2024, 10:48:41 PM]

Who gets lapped by Elonsmusk
[October 17, 2024, 07:58:22 PM]

Ellenson and Lewis to NBA by JWags85
[October 17, 2024, 07:28:00 PM]

Preseason Rankings: Big East vs. Atlantic 10 by Scoop Snoop
[October 17, 2024, 04:52:23 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Creighton Preview by Plaque Lives Matter!
[October 17, 2024, 01:47:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Kolek coming back?  (Read 27060 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: Is Kolek coming back?
« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2024, 11:59:59 AM »
Seriously? 

None.

But in interviews I have rarely, if ever, heard an early entrant basketball player say "I really miss the college atmosphere."

Because the NBA atmosphere is pretty darn incredible.

Yes. Seriously.

What part do you disagree with?
VIOLENCE!

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2024, 12:03:33 PM »
It sure seems to me that Kolek is leaning toward returning next season. The question is how much a player’s lean in February really means. He’s going to go through the draft process, and if he looks like a first rounder he’s gone. I’d guess he’s also caught up in the emotion of his senior year, and that will fade after the season ends.

I’d guess it’s 70/30 he leaves, but I’m very surprised there seems to be a real chance he could return.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2024, 12:20:49 PM »
nice cherry pick. 5-pts…
 1) at least I’ll go out on a line. Did you think TK was anything other than serviceable after his first year? I’ll answer for you…agreed Viper. TK was just a guy.
2) hindsight is 20/20, yes? Again, a cherry pick from two years ago when probably 90% of the Scoopers were analyzing as I was…odd shot release. Sidewinder rotation on the shot. Struggles going right. Drive & kick-outs seem his forte.
3) now the libs on this mailbag of oddballs come out of the woodwork…oh look, TK is great. That outspoken Viper… is wrong again. As I’ve said before, the reactionary among you…bold…not.
4) I do, however, appreciate that I’m developing a fan club. Any Mke-area locals that would like to meet yours truly…let’s grab a beer or dinner. Rocket Surgeon…let’s gooooo!
5) repeat 1-4

Truly hope you get some help, man.
This kinda stuff is not (should not be?) normal for a college hoops message board when you could simply say "wow, I sure got that one wrong".

Dare I say you're acting like a big-time snowflake in this running stream of conscience.....typical!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2024, 12:23:02 PM »

Will it? I haven't heard many NBA players say "I miss the college environment."

I don't disagree. If he's getting good feedback that he's definitely getting drafted -- particularly if he's R1 -- he should go.

That said, the college environment has changed pretty significantly the last couple years. I've got to think that it's a lot of fun being in college, being a celebrity on campus (and beyond), having the very best facilities, playing in front of SRO crowds in Fiserv, and having a significant six-figure income. No question that NBA money and a seat on an NBA bench would be even more fun, but that's not guaranteed. Another guaranteed year of all of the above at Marquette might be preferable to maybe being in the NBA or maybe playing in Sioux Falls before 2,000 fans a night for $50k.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2024, 12:43:43 PM »
classy. Personal shots only reflect on you. And, I might add, something you’d never say to me if we were at a bar over a 🍺. But, I guess Rocky is ok with your level of maturity, so you do you.

Dork.

You talking about maturity after the two posts I quoted is priceless stuff.  Thanks for the laugh!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2024, 12:51:03 PM »
Dork.

You talking about maturity after the two posts I quoted is priceless stuff.  Thanks for the laugh!
👍

MU82

• All American
« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2024, 12:56:24 PM »
Could Kolek return? Sure. Do I want him to return? Sure, if he really wants to - every Marquette fan would love it. But let's be realistic, folks - it's not likely to happen.

As for the notion that it would be more of a "challenge" for TK to play a 5th year of college basketball when he already has proven himself to be among the best players in the country than it would be to make an NBA roster and then to compete against the best basketball players in the world ... that's just silliness.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2024, 01:27:09 PM »
I don’t believe I’ve ever heard the “Do you miss the college atmosphere?” question asked in an interview with an NBA rookie. Why would you expect the player to bring up the subject? Just a guess on my part, but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if a lot of rookies sitting on the end of benches in the NBA miss being the star and the atmosphere that goes with it at least a little bit.

Would love for someone to ask O-Max this question.  He's a thoughtful young man.  His situation is the exact type of one where the overall experience of living out your dream and making the NBA - but getting little PT and some GLeague send downs, versus playing a huge role with your close teammates at a Top 5 program with National Champioship possibilities, in an almost always sold out NBA arena?  Would he answer the do you miss it question, yes?  I think he probably would.  But if you asked him do you regret your decision to leave MU, he'd likely answer no. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2024, 01:45:37 PM »
Another guaranteed year of all of the above at Marquette might be preferable to maybe being in the NBA or maybe playing in Sioux Falls before 2,000 fans a night for $50k.

Most highly competitive, confident athletes who are talented enough to be pros simply don't think like this.

They don't go into decisions like this thinking, "What if I fail? What if I'm not good enough? Another year of college would be more fun."

They go in thinking, "I know I'm good enough, and I'm ready to prove it. And to any doubters out there, f#%k 'em."

I mean, based on what we know about Tyler Kolek, which do you think he'd say?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2024, 01:46:57 PM »
Elon

I'd agree that Omax probably misses not being part of the action at MU this year and I'm sure he has no regrets on the decision. It is all part of growing up and chasing your dreams.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2024, 01:47:06 PM »
Would love for someone to ask O-Max this question.  He's a thoughtful young man.  His situation is the exact type of one where the overall experience of living out your dream and making the NBA - but getting little PT and some GLeague send downs, versus playing a huge role with your close teammates at a Top 5 program with National Champioship possibilities, in an almost always sold out NBA arena?  Would he answer the do you miss it question, yes?  I think he probably would.  But if you asked him do you regret your decision to leave MU, he'd likely answer no.

OMax has the benefit of being a first round pick, so he's making nearly $3 million. That changes the answer a bit. If it's clear someone is going to go in the first round, I'd think it's a pretty simple decision. If someone is projected in the second round -- or maybe not even drafted -- I'd think it would be a far more difficult decision if you enjoy college and have decent NIL earning potential.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2024, 01:57:24 PM »
Most highly competitive, confident athletes who are talented enough to be pros simply don't think like this.

They don't go into decisions like this thinking, "What if I fail? What if I'm not good enough? Another year of college would be more fun."

They go in thinking, "I know I'm good enough, and I'm ready to prove it. And to any doubters out there, f#%k 'em."

I mean, based on what we know about Tyler Kolek, which do you think he'd say?

I don't think there is a chance in hell that TyKo would stay at Marquette because he fears failing at the next level. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm 100% convinced he'll decide to leave. We'll see. It's not necessarily an either/or situation - he can play another year at Marquette and still take a shot at playing at the next level. If a kid really loves playing in college (and, importantly, is making good money), I could see him deciding to play another year. I would see it less as a fear of failing as much as really loving what he's doing and being well paid.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2024, 02:06:16 PM »
OMax has the benefit of being a first round pick, so he's making nearly $3 million. That changes the answer a bit. If it's clear someone is going to go in the first round, I'd think it's a pretty simple decision. If someone is projected in the second round -- or maybe not even drafted -- I'd think it would be a far more difficult decision if you enjoy college and have decent NIL earning potential.

He should go through the rest of the season, then attend the NBA pre draft combine.  He will get input on his draft status and with a good showing, like Omax last year, could get a definitive answer on what is next.  Hope he doesn't do poorly, but that's the way it goes.  There are many mock drafts with everybody's opinion and Kolek's draft status is all over the place.  It will continue like that until post combine and the total number of players entering the draft id determined.  He'll make the right decision.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2024, 02:16:37 PM »
He should go through the rest of the season, then attend the NBA pre draft combine.  He will get input on his draft status and with a good showing, like Omax last year, could get a definitive answer on what is next.  Hope he doesn't do poorly, but that's the way it goes.  There are many mock drafts with everybody's opinion and Kolek's draft status is all over the place.  It will continue like that until post combine and the total number of players entering the draft id determined.  He'll make the right decision.

I agree with everything you said here. Personally, I think that if Kolek enters the draft he'll be a late first round/early second round kind of guy (i.e., 20-40). I don't expect he'll be back next season. I'd love to have him at MU for another year, but I doubt it.

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2024, 10:50:28 AM »
Kolek is probably in the wind.  I'd be really surprised if he returns, maybe if he can get T Millls assist record.  Looking ahead to next year MU would be better served if Oso came back.  Gold and Joplin to start on the baseline backed up by two unknown quantities in Hamilton and Amadu with two freshmen skinny bigs  in deep reserve leaves MU beyond weak in the power positions.,

MU82

• All American
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2024, 10:54:45 AM »
Oso has already said he's not coming back.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2024, 10:59:27 AM »
He’s not coming back. Did you watch his press conference after DePaul? He was talking about how he only has 3 more home games left and he’s making it a point to enjoy it and take it all in
Bring back FFP!!!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2024, 11:56:01 AM »

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2024, 12:10:28 PM »
He’s not coming back. Did you watch his press conference after DePaul? He was talking about how he only has 3 more home games left and he’s making it a point to enjoy it and take it all in

Oso or Tyler said that?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2024, 12:14:10 PM »
Bring back FFP!!!

MUbiz

• All American
« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2024, 12:14:50 PM »
Oso said at start of season he is done.

The Depaul presser - Tyler said he has 3 games left and talked about taking it in.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm6PsI-c2e0

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2024, 12:44:35 PM »
Who are you gonna believe?  Professional scouts or Viper?

Viper’s brother-in-law
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #197 on: February 23, 2024, 01:34:30 PM »
Can't stress it enough.  Enjoy the next month and a half.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #198 on: February 23, 2024, 01:49:55 PM »

You keep saying this,

But it would be true even if TK was required to be here for 3 more years.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #199 on: February 23, 2024, 03:30:19 PM »

The next game is the only important one.