Marquette NBA Thread by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[October 17, 2024, 10:48:41 PM]

Who gets lapped by Elonsmusk
[October 17, 2024, 07:58:22 PM]

Ellenson and Lewis to NBA by JWags85
[October 17, 2024, 07:28:00 PM]

Preseason Rankings: Big East vs. Atlantic 10 by Scoop Snoop
[October 17, 2024, 04:52:23 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Creighton Preview by Plaque Lives Matter!
[October 17, 2024, 01:47:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL playoffs.  (Read 30813 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: NFL playoffs.
« Reply #625 on: February 11, 2024, 10:01:19 PM »
Yeah. That was a mistake. Wondering if Shanahan is regretting that decision yet.

I liked it because KC was gassed on defense.  They did get bailed out on the holding call but that’s partially a part of being gassed
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #626 on: February 11, 2024, 10:03:15 PM »
I liked it because KC was gassed on defense.  They did get bailed out on the holding call but that’s partially a part of being gassed

That holding call was gigantic.  It was a legit hold, however.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #627 on: February 11, 2024, 10:06:41 PM »
Yes, that was pathetic.  Wilks failed the team.

They brought pressure on 3rd and 6 and gave up 13 to Rice.  The play that doomed them was the long Mahomes run. Romo hit it on the head, can’t let him move north-south and on that play, the d lost the lanes

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #628 on: February 11, 2024, 10:14:55 PM »
This MVP award is punter erasure. Townsend kept them in it until they woke up

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #629 on: February 11, 2024, 10:31:36 PM »
My former boss' son plays for KC (and is a Brookfield native.)   Been on the team two years, two rings.

He's a backup OL guy, only getting in during FGs and PATs, of which there were 13 points scored while he was on the field.  Mahomes?  Only 12.     ;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #630 on: February 11, 2024, 10:56:19 PM »

I get ya, Unk, but I respectfully disagree.

You want to know where you stand after your opponent has a possession, and I think that's doubly true with a guy like Mahomes on the other side. You also create some interesting decisions for Reid if KC faces, say, a 4th-and-2. I definitely play D first.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #631 on: February 11, 2024, 11:00:39 PM »
Had no idea about the new OT rules until tonight

Absolutely bonkers decision by the 49ers to choose to receiver first.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #632 on: February 11, 2024, 11:07:37 PM »
Per Shanahan, they wanted the 3rd possession when it's sudden death.

Also, crazy that the clock wouldn't end the chiefs first possession. They would have just switched sides and continued play.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #633 on: February 11, 2024, 11:19:12 PM »
Taking the ball first in overtime is so dumb with the new rule.

If you have the ball second, you will always have four downs to play with. Willingly taking it first adds unnecessary risk. Playing for the possibility of a sudden death possession on the third OT series? Come on. If you trade TD’s on the first two OT possessions, the second team to score should always go for 2.

You’re basically hoping for a FG/FG/FG scenario, just poor decision making.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #634 on: February 11, 2024, 11:55:24 PM »
Per Shanahan, they wanted the 3rd possession when it's sudden death.

Also, crazy that the clock wouldn't end the chiefs first possession. They would have just switched sides and continued play.

Yeah just saw his interview. An even more insane comment. Making a decision based on a 3rd possession that isnt guaranteed.....unreal.

The clock rule was wild too. Had absolutely no idea that was a rule(crazy rule) until after the game.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #635 on: February 12, 2024, 09:01:19 AM »
Even more damning:

Several Niners players said Shanahan had never gone over the new OT rules with the team or discussed the various options.

The Chiefs, meanwhile, had numerous discussions about it beforehand.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39511676/49ers-players-say-know-super-bowl-rules
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #636 on: February 12, 2024, 10:13:05 AM »

The biggest KC advantage in the game was Reid vs. Shanahan. All game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #637 on: February 12, 2024, 10:25:48 AM »
The biggest KC advantage in the game was Reid vs. Shanahan. All game.

Not really, though.  The offensive gameplan for the Chiefs was pretty poor.  Had clear proof of concept of what had given the 9ers trouble in both of their Playoff games, and didn't really replicate that.  The Chiefs defense is why they were even in the game at the end.

The biggest advantage, though, was Patrick Mahomes vs. Brock Purdy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #638 on: February 12, 2024, 10:57:02 AM »
Not really, though.  The offensive gameplan for the Chiefs was pretty poor.  Had clear proof of concept of what had given the 9ers trouble in both of their Playoff games, and didn't really replicate that.  The Chiefs defense is why they were even in the game at the end.

I agree with this.  The KC offensive game plan was terrible.  The timeout on 3rd and 1 when they didn’t challenge the Kelce spot was bizarre, too.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #639 on: February 12, 2024, 11:00:04 AM »

What's wild is that rule came about after the Chiefs-Bills AFC Championship a couple years back. Everyone thought the Bills deserved to have a possession in OT, and the Chiefs gained too big of an advantage from winning the coin toss. Of course, the rule gets changed and the first team that benefits from it is... the Chiefs.

Monkey's paw curls

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #640 on: February 12, 2024, 11:02:13 AM »

My statement was sort of hyperbole. Of course the biggest advantage was Mahomes vs. Purdy. But I thought Shanahan's play calling - especially the 1st 3 quarters was bizarre.

I think Reid did try to run the ball early, but Pacheco was getting next to nothing. I did think Andy went away from the run in the middle of the game which hurt them.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #641 on: February 12, 2024, 11:25:37 AM »
I agree with this.  The KC offensive game plan was terrible.  The timeout on 3rd and 1 when they didn’t challenge the Kelce spot was bizarre, too.

The play calling on the final drive of the first half was something else too.  2nd and 7 from the 11 and they went with a Rice inside run that got absolutely stuffed was such a weird call when they were cooking.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #642 on: February 12, 2024, 11:35:19 AM »
My statement was sort of hyperbole. Of course the biggest advantage was Mahomes vs. Purdy. But I thought Shanahan's play calling - especially the 1st 3 quarters was bizarre.

I think Reid did try to run the ball early, but Pacheco was getting next to nothing. I did think Andy went away from the run in the middle of the game which hurt them.

Shananhan was fine for the first two quarters.  He was terrible in the 3rd quarter.  Once they started running the ball again late, the offense started moving again.

McCaffrey’s opening drive fumble was a killer as was them going 3 and out off the Mahomes pick.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #643 on: February 12, 2024, 01:06:59 PM »
Seeing some of the all-22 breakdowns and replay breakdowns and Purdy was really exposed last night.  Missed a lot of opportunities and needed to do a better job with protections. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #644 on: February 12, 2024, 01:48:06 PM »
Seeing some of the all-22 breakdowns and replay breakdowns and Purdy was really exposed last night.  Missed a lot of opportunities and needed to do a better job with protections.

He was exposed all Playoffs.  He's not very good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #645 on: February 12, 2024, 02:23:06 PM »
He was exposed all Playoffs.  He's not very good.

I remember when he got chirped about as an MVP candidate on ESPN earlier in the season, which was silly.  Then he was thoroughly mediocre the next 2 weeks when they lost to the Browns and the Vikings.

He's a great story and good enough to be a low level NFL starter, but the Niners were clearly in trouble when their backs were against the wall and Purdy NEEDED to make big plays.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #646 on: February 12, 2024, 02:24:28 PM »
I remember when he got chirped about as an MVP candidate on ESPN earlier in the season, which was silly.  Then he was thoroughly mediocre the next 2 weeks when they lost to the Browns and the Vikings.

He's a great story and good enough to be a low level NFL starter, but the Niners were clearly in trouble when their backs were against the wall and Purdy NEEDED to make big plays.

Yup.  The Niners are so stacked that they almost overcame having him be their quarterback to win a Super Bowl.  But he's the epitome of a game manager.  The problem is that when Shanahan goes pass heavy, he gives the defense multiple chances to turn him over.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #647 on: February 12, 2024, 04:53:12 PM »
Shananhan was fine for the first two quarters.  He was terrible in the 3rd quarter.  Once they started running the ball again late, the offense started moving again.

McCaffrey’s opening drive fumble was a killer as was them going 3 and out off the Mahomes pick.

3rd quarter was the difference. He call 1 run for Mccaffery in the 3 possessions that they had the lead in that quarter.

But taking the ball in overtime was the really stupid call. Basically saying, I'll take 3 downs and let you have 4 downs.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #648 on: February 12, 2024, 06:39:13 PM »
Yup.  The Niners are so stacked that they almost overcame having him be their quarterback to win a Super Bowl.  But he's the epitome of a game manager.  The problem is that when Shanahan goes pass heavy, he gives the defense multiple chances to turn him over.
I missed it, how many turnovers did Purdy have?purdy was the least of their problems yesterday. Play calling, special teams, prevent defense on the last drive in the 4th quarter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #649 on: February 12, 2024, 06:47:09 PM »

Agreed...I thought the chiefs offensive plan was pretty unimaginative. None of the outside zone stuff that gave them fits against the Packers and Lions. It was, dare I say, very McCarthyish.

Defense was fine. Got pressure in key moments. McDuffie is that dude on the back end