[Today at 04:41:17 PM]

2024-25 Roster by DFW HOYA
[Today at 03:15:39 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 02:56:18 PM]

Media Rights Update by WhiteTrash
[Today at 12:32:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seton Hell  (Read 9130 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Seton Hell
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2024, 02:26:49 PM »
Agree, Goose. I guess for me I wanted to see we could beat the KU’s and Purdue’s and we proved we could. That’s what I’ve taken away from the season so far even with a less than ideal start to conference play.
No Finish Line

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2024, 02:27:14 PM »
You don’t think you can arguably learn more from losses than wins?

Nope
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2024, 02:28:13 PM »
No Finish Line

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2024, 02:29:05 PM »
This team will only go as far as Kolek takes them.  Him not having the ball in hands more is baffling.  Going back to MSU, he's disappeared from 4 of the last 16 games.  Tons of season left, sure he'll be the leader he's shown, would love to see the chip on his shoulder get a little bigger again.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2024, 02:30:00 PM »
I have said several times that I think Shaka is running this team/program more like an NBA team. The rotation in the lineup is definitely not traditional college style, imo. To be honest, I like it and think things change come tournament time. During the Kansas game there were four subs in the court in the first half and nobody was complaining after that game.

I think the worry here is how the NCAA Tournament works vs the NBA playoffs. In the past 25 tournaments, here's the breakdown by seed for NC winners:

1-Seed: 17 Champs
2-Seed: 3 Champs
3-Seed: 3 Champs
4-Seed: 1 Champ
7-Seed: 1 Champ

I'm not saying it's impossible to win a Tournament outside the top line, but when 68% of the champs are from the top-line, and 4 of the outliers are UConn (won as a 2, 3, 4, and 7), it's pretty much get to the 1-line or be UConn. In a one-and-done situation, it is imperative to have the best path possible if you want to win 6 games. Which means this time of year matters.

I'm guessing Marquette can lose one more game to feel confident of getting a 1-seed. Maybe two more games. But if they really want to be playing for a title on Shaka's birthday, that quest doesn't start in March. It started 2 months ago, and the performance of the first two months leaves them very little room for leeway now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2024, 02:31:02 PM »
Point taken but I’d think they’d built more equity than this. I expect this from complete know-nothing f’n morons like nolonger but not from the masses

Up until March, last season was pretty much a dream. 

We've had some really amazing highs and some very frustrating losses so far.  We haven't seen the consistency and growth we've hoped for.  But we're still a really good team and our ceiling remains sky-high. 

I'm still frustrated as sh*t about this loss but it's out of our control.  We still control our own destiny.  But when you're expecting perspective here after a game like that it's always going to be hard to find. 

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2024, 02:31:07 PM »
Agree, Goose. I guess for me I wanted to see we could beat the KU’s and Purdue’s and we proved we could. That’s what I’ve taken away from the season so far even with a less than ideal start to conference play.
Issue is we won't get to play the KU's and Purdue's again if we can't beat the Seton Hall's in the first weekend.  That's what sparks the overreactions and concern, imo.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2024, 02:31:43 PM »
Howards

Playing a great games does not happen that often. I think last years Baylor game was an all time program performance and Kansas was pretty damn good. Not sure what you are looking for, but I think a bit unrealistic.

To go back to the last time we had this much hype around the program, the Al era had far more dud performances than great games. Granted they won most of the dud performances, but it was not flawless by any means. In most of the dud games it was a 2-5 minute run of excellence, possibly two runs, with plenty of mediocre play the remainder of the game.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2024, 02:33:03 PM »
this team looks like a 5 or 6 seed at this point...

I think the worry here is how the NCAA Tournament works vs the NBA playoffs. In the past 25 tournaments, here's the breakdown by seed for NC winners:

1-Seed: 17 Champs
2-Seed: 3 Champs
3-Seed: 3 Champs
4-Seed: 1 Champ
7-Seed: 1 Champ

I'm not saying it's impossible to win a Tournament outside the top line, but when 68% of the champs are from the top-line, and 4 of the outliers are UConn (won as a 2, 3, 4, and 7), it's pretty much get to the 1-line or be UConn. In a one-and-done situation, it is imperative to have the best path possible if you want to win 6 games. Which means this time of year matters.

I'm guessing Marquette can lose one more game to feel confident of getting a 1-seed. Maybe two more games. But if they really want to be playing for a title on Shaka's birthday, that quest doesn't start in March. It started 2 months ago, and the performance of the first two months leaves them very little room for leeway now.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2024, 02:34:52 PM »

Again, name 16 teams that have better resumes and are playing consistently at a high level? 

Marquette may not be playing up to your or our expectations but you're completely ignoring the rest of college basketball with a comment like that. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2024, 02:35:47 PM »

If the tourney started today, they are still a 2 or 3. Yes, the PC/SHU losses suck, but both are Q1 losses. The Illinois/Kansas wins are huge. And frankly, resumes fall off a cliff once you get to the end of the 2 line. If we go 13-7 in Big East play (our current kenpom projection) we probably still end up on the 4 line. But considering expectations, that has to be a disappointment.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2024, 02:40:08 PM »
When the ball is not on TKos hands it is by design, it is a set play with him coming of a screen and getting the ball to either penetrate or dish to Oso.
Goal is National Championship

Goose

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2024, 02:40:21 PM »
Brew

I did not predict 29-2 and a one seed. I thought, and still do, 23-7 and 2 or 3 seed. My belief has been from day one was that experience, depth and poise is why I feel they have a chance to play in FF. I never thought they would run the board to UConn or go 18-2 in the BE.

I have no idea how many wins will it take to win BE and really do not care. This team has talent, experience and a proven track record over 51 games and bumps in the road happen. They need to work out the kinks and see what happens in BE.

I have said it countless times, I do not think this will be the best team in the Shaka era. That said, they have the intangibles to go a long way.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2024, 02:41:51 PM »
If the tourney started today, they are still a 2 or 3. Yes, the PC/SHU losses suck, but both are Q1 losses. The Illinois/Kansas wins are huge. And frankly, resumes fall off a cliff once you get to the end of the 2 line. If we go 13-7 in Big East play (our current kenpom projection) we probably still end up on the 4 line. But considering expectations, that has to be a disappointment.
Pie in the sky 1 seed dreams are over.
2 seed a loooooong shot but possible.
3 seed seems like the realistic goal rn if this team can find a way to pull out a few wins on the road.. a daunting task that seems like it would be a miracle for this team.
Anything below a 3 is a colossal disappointment imo

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2024, 02:41:55 PM »
sure, at the current point of time (not riding off the Kansas win), here are 15 playing better:

Purdue
Houston
Kansas
Duke
NC
Illinois
Arizona
UConn
Tennessee
Auburn
Wisconsin (which kills me)
Baylor
Iowa State
Kentucky
Oklahoma

Again, name 16 teams that have better resumes and are playing consistently at a high level? 

Marquette may not be playing up to your or our expectations but you're completely ignoring the rest of college basketball with a comment like that.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2024, 02:42:08 PM »
Kolek being MIA was the deciding factor in the game.   Nobody took a bad 3 today.
I would say SH winning every ef% except for TOs clinched it
Goal is National Championship

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2024, 02:44:01 PM »
sure, at the current point of time (not riding off the Kansas win), here are 15 playing better:

Purdue
Houston
Kansas
Duke
NC
Illinois
Arizona
UConn
Tennessee
Auburn
Baylor
Iowa State
Kentucky
Oklahoma

LOL

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2024, 02:45:09 PM »
I would say SH winning every ef% except for TOs clinched it
Yep.  MU forced 22 turnovers and gave up 78 points.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2024, 02:48:17 PM »
name one of those teams MU would beat playing at their current performance level?

LOL

Goose

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2024, 02:49:45 PM »
Fan94

I am not sure that his disappearing act against SH and UW was unintentional. Other guys have to step up. GoldenEagle posted how MU might be missing that one guy to be a great time. There is little chance of 4-8 player stepping up on a regular basis if Kolek is carrying the team on his back.

Anyone that thinks Kolek is not a big game player is crazy, imo. He didn’t run away from the ball in those games, other guys controlled the ball.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2024, 02:50:45 PM »
Yep.  MU forced 22 turnovers and gave up 78 points.

SH had 22 turnovers and MU had 14 steals, and they lost. 14 steals.....

SH had 43 rebounds, MU had 25.  Again another liability on the boards for MU.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2024, 02:51:34 PM »

Purdue
Houston
Kansas
Duke
NC
Illinois
Arizona
UConn
Tennessee
Auburn
Baylor
Iowa State
Kentucky
Oklahoma

But talking resumes, all the teams crossed out don't compare to Marquette's current resume. I know it's easy to mope, but seriously, Auburn, Iowa State, and Oklahoma have beaten no one. Duke, Auburn, and Kentucky all have pretty bad losses on their resumes. And Baylor's entire resume is a neutral court win over Auburn that would be our third best win. Not to mention NC, Illinois, and Wisconsin would be in the conversation with us when seeding came up, but at most one of them might actually be ahead of us (maybe Bucky).

Even with today's loss, we're probably a 2, at worst a 3.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2024, 02:52:32 PM »
name one of those teams MU would beat playing at their current performance level?

Home, away or neutral? 

It's comical that you're completely ignoring the issues most of those other teams have.

Based on  your comments today, you're also the type of guy that would have said Oso was a wasted scholarship as a freshman. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2024, 02:54:05 PM »
But talking resumes, all the teams crossed out don't compare to Marquette's current resume. I know it's easy to mope, but seriously, Auburn, Iowa State, and Oklahoma have beaten no one. Duke, Auburn, and Kentucky all have pretty bad losses on their resumes. And Baylor's entire resume is a neutral court win over Auburn that would be our third best win. Not to mention NC, Illinois, and Wisconsin would be in the conversation with us when seeding came up, but at most one of them might actually be ahead of us (maybe Bucky).

Even with today's loss, we're probably a 2, at worst a 3.

+1

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2024, 02:55:04 PM »
I'd like to see Ben operate as a solo big for a bit more time. But it's pretty clear Shaka wants Oso as his security blanket on defense.

There are times when it looks like Ben couldn’t defend a parking meter.