[September 20, 2024, 07:45:48 PM]

Big East 2024 -25 Results by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 06:05:27 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[September 20, 2024, 12:31:28 PM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 08:52:59 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: First Jobs  (Read 6302 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: First Jobs
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2024, 09:55:40 AM »
Upon reading your post, some of the younger scoopers are probably asking themselves "what the Hell is a mailroom?".
Something from Elf.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2024, 09:56:39 AM »
"Content creator"
Hopefully not an "influencer".

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2024, 09:56:48 AM »
Upon reading your post, some of the younger scoopers are probably asking themselves "what the Hell is a mailroom?".
True.  And I’m not even that old compared to a lot of scoopers

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2024, 10:08:52 AM »
True.  And I’m not even that old compared to a lot of scoopers

I’ll never forget what Warren Buffet told me when he met me when I was working in the mailroom, “kid, can you give me some advice?”
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2024, 10:26:07 AM »
Bagged groceries in high school for $2.70/hr.  Got promoted to cashier and that sweet sweet $3.30/hr rate.

I also started as a bagger/stocker. Piggly Wiggly in Oconomowoc for $4.50/hour (minimum wage was $4.25, but they took care of us kids). Worked my way up to Assistant Store Manager making $7.25, only to learn all the older staff under me with less seniority (I was there for 4 years and 3rd in charge of the store by age 20) were making $2-3 more than I was, so I left for SuperSaver and $11/hour as a department manager.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2024, 10:30:52 AM »
I also started as a bagger/stocker. Piggly Wiggly in Oconomowoc for $4.50/hour (minimum wage was $4.25, but they took care of us kids). Worked my way up to Assistant Store Manager making $7.25, only to learn all the older staff under me with less seniority (I was there for 4 years and 3rd in charge of the store by age 20) were making $2-3 more than I was, so I left for SuperSaver and $11/hour as a department manager.

Typical Fox Bros
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2024, 10:30:58 AM »
Taco Bell tostada and taco shell fryer before Driver License.  Nothing like being in front of a hot oil fryer and smelling like corn oil.
When got drivers license, checked drivers route delivery receipts for a bread baker.
During college worked in fabrication shop sand blasting, welding, cutting and bending steel.  Also, second shift factory doing assembly and painting houses.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2024, 02:22:11 PM »
When I was 14, I got my first "job" at a burger joint near where I grew up.  It was family owned and two brothers in their 20s were in charge of closing the place down every night.  They were both kind of lazy so they "hired" me to clean the grill and sweep/mop the floors every night.  In exchange, I got $5 per night, one free cheeseburger (self made), and $1 of credits on each of the arcade games, asteroids, pac man, and jungle hunt. 

My first "real job" with an official w-2 was at a Pup-n-Taco.  Not sure if they were a national chain, but there used to be a lot of them out here in SoCal.  They had pretty good food and I learned how to make it all from the chili dogs to the tacos, etc.  However, I really loved the red slushies, that we sold. Great stuff, and kept you cool when working around the fryers/grill. 

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2024, 02:54:54 PM »
Southridge Movie Theaters (Greendale WI) making $1.50/hr in 1973.  Work 10 hours a week and take home $15, quit after they gave me 10 cent raise.  Oh yea, I also found my boss dead in the candy room, but that's anoother story.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2024, 03:07:45 PM »
12 to 15 Mowed lawns and shoveled snow in Cooper Park area
15-16 Dishwasher/line pizza maker at Mama Mia's on Burleigh
16-20 Gas pumper/light mechanic at NW Mobil on Capitol
17 Sold ice cream on the Milw. streets in the 3 wheeled motor carts/ clanging bell of Happy Day Ice Cream
19 Interned at Sen Wm Proxmires office
18-23 started on 3 man set up crew on buildout of 3 of the first four ever Pick N Saves. Worked at stocking, forklift, frozen/ dairy, nearly full time, as it paid much of my cost of MU. By senior year 1978 I was an eve manager of the Natl Ave location. Stayed with this for a year plus after college to save more $ for law school.
23-25 In Houston, law school, came in as a weekend manager at Gerland's grocery and only left halfway through to chase law clerkships, associate job etc

Almost every job was by word-of-mouth/ acquaintances, never read the classifieds.

From high school on I aggressively chased a heavy work schedule, but with very good pay. As child no 3, family college resources were depleted.  I paid for most of MU college, (including junior year in Madrid), and all of law school at UH. My parents, those jobs and the help of extended family and friends will always be greatly appreciated.

I had forgotten about Mama Mia's, I loved that place growing up

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2024, 03:46:50 PM »
Southridge Movie Theaters (Greendale WI) making $1.50/hr in 1973.  Work 10 hours a week and take home $15, quit after they gave me 10 cent raise.  Oh yea, I also found my boss dead in the candy room, but that's anoother story.
Heart attack?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2024, 04:45:59 PM »
I had forgotten about Mama Mia's, I loved that place growing up

Great pizza. I think the only location left is out in Mequon.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2024, 04:46:27 PM »
Typical Fox Bros

I started out working for the Richters, but you're right about the Fox Bros. They bought the store out after I was there about 3.5 years. Really good at making promises and dangling carrots but not delivering. They even knew I was upset about my wages because I interviewed at their Hartland store before the sale was public knowledge and continued to string me along while making outside hires that essentially demoted me in the process.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2024, 05:32:22 PM »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2024, 06:26:33 PM »
Paperboy at 13. Working summers in an aluminum casting foundry at 16 here in Florida. First trimming rough edges off the end product with giant sanders, the creating sand cores by instantly heating them by injecting sand into 1200 degree metal casts, finally pouring molten aluminum. Fun in the summer!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2024, 09:25:42 PM »
My parents wouldn't let me get a paper route .. so I wrote Dear Abby, appealing their decision.

She didn't answer.

Also, my parents were right, I would have been terrible at being a paper boy.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2024, 10:54:31 PM »
As the late great Mitch Hedberg once said, “I had a paper route when I was a kid, which meant I went to 2000 houses…or two dumpsters.” RIP Mitch

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2024, 11:27:22 PM »
Worked on a farm. The only place that would hire a kid as young as I was.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2024, 06:03:37 AM »
From Age 14:
- Every job at the YMCA... towel guy, cleaner, desk attendant, lifeguard, swim teacher, swim team coach
Once in College:
- lifeguard
- Tour guide
- Draftsman for local Milw companies
- Cold calls / marketing... this outfit which shall remain nameless had no office space available so they set me up in the locker room/toilet.  It was $15/hour during college, and once everyone realized this was my "office" they were gracious enough to do "big business" elsewhere, and the wages greatly offset the undesirable surroundings!

"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2024, 08:19:19 AM »
My parents wouldn't let me get a paper route .. so I wrote Dear Abby, appealing their decision.

She didn't answer.

Also, my parents were right, I would have been terrible at being a paper boy.

The thing I remember most about the paper route was the cold and this young couple Sunday only delivery who never paid.  They'd get behind and I'd knock on their door during the week where they'd promise me they'd leave me an envelope on Sunday and if course didn't.  So I'd knock on the door early Sunday at my dad's urging demanding payment and wait outside while they find loose change and cash.  They always looked hungover.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2024, 01:58:59 PM »
The thing I remember most about the paper route was the cold and this young couple Sunday only delivery who never paid.  They'd get behind and I'd knock on their door during the week where they'd promise me they'd leave me an envelope on Sunday and if course didn't.  So I'd knock on the door early Sunday at my dad's urging demanding payment and wait outside while they find loose change and cash.  They always looked hungover.

Kudos to your dad. My brother had the same problem until my 6'3". 225 lb. dad accompanied him on his collection visits. They paid.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2024, 06:33:05 AM »

Also, Grammar school, Full-service gas station, and a lot of farm jobs.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2024, 07:41:52 AM »
Great pizza. I think the only location left is out in Mequon.

There is still a location on Greenfield Ave. in West Allis, actually having their lasagna tonight.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2024, 08:04:05 AM »
Also, Grammar school, Full-service gas station, and a lot of farm jobs.

State of New Jersey on line 1

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2024, 08:09:50 AM »
State of New Jersey on line 1

Or Oregon
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow