[Today at 09:03:02 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[Today at 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[Today at 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I know it doesn't "matter" but ...  (Read 4301 times)

MU82

• All American
I know it doesn't "matter" but ...
« on: November 15, 2023, 09:38:18 AM »
If we win the Hawaii tournament - wait, let me rephrase that - after we win the Hawaii tournament, Marquette will be the #1-ranked team in the nation.

I know that won't really "mean" anything because polls don't matter ...

But sorry, it would be effen cool!!

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: I know it doesn't "matter" but ...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 10:04:41 AM »
If we win the Hawaii tournament - wait, let me rephrase that - after we win the Hawaii tournament, Marquette will be the #1-ranked team in the nation.

We Are Marquette!

It means something to me, damn it! And, it would be effen cool.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 10:16:04 AM »
Would be incredible and then we can stop saying it’s the first time since 1978 next year and the year after that and so on.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 10:24:33 AM »
Would be incredible and then we can stop saying it’s the first time since 1978 next year and the year after that and so on.

not looking past UCLA. But KU seems like a nightmare match-up. Hunter Dickinson with 27 pts. 21 Rb, and 3 Steels while Mccullar had a freakin triple double against a really good Kentucky team. how do you stop them?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 10:25:07 AM »
#1 ranking would mean a great deal to the program, the university, the fan base and to me. I have said for years the basketball program is the greatest marketing tool that MU has and being #1 in the country would be fantastic for MU as a whole. On selfish note, I want to hear them say "now the starting lineups for the #1 in the country".

Back in the day Johnnie Owens always started the introductions by say that MU was currently ranking #1 or whatever the ranking was that week. For the guys that have never heard, it has a great ring to it.

MUbiz

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 10:30:46 AM »
#1 ranking would mean a great deal to the program, the university, the fan base and to me. I have said for years the basketball program is the greatest marketing tool that MU has and being #1 in the country would be fantastic for MU as a whole. On selfish note, I want to hear them say "now the starting lineups for the #1 in the country".

Back in the day Johnnie Owens always started the introductions by say that MU was currently ranking #1 or whatever the ranking was that week. For the guys that have never heard, it has a great ring to it.

From a fan perspective, hearing Jakubowski saying MU is #1 in the intros would be cool, I do not think Shaka would appreciate that or allow it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 10:30:59 AM »

Yeah I agree. Seeing anything above 8 was surreal for me last year and still is. Seeing number 1 next to Marquette would be absolutely incredible. I also think you get into court rushing territory from other teams and this is a team I think would respond with a vengeance and then some to that happening.
Maigh Eo for Sam

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2023, 10:33:09 AM »
not looking past UCLA. But KU seems like a nightmare match-up. Hunter Dickinson with 27 pts. 21 Rb, and 3 Steels while Mccullar had a freakin triple double against a really good Kentucky team. how do you stop them?

We are so much deeper than KU.

Field of 68 talked about it last night. Kansas bench was literally unplayable type of production last night. When those guys came in it was a disaster.

Dickson would be a total load for us and get his. Harris is a problem. McCullers and Adams are really good role guys who can do a lot.

But beyond those 4 they dont have the options we have and they cant shoot. There is definitely a path to beat them.

Of course there is a path where Dickenson goes for a 20/20 and it opens up shots that they finally hit and we get waxed.

But I think on a 1-8 roster talent we are better and I think its tough to even debate that.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2023, 10:34:07 AM »

Kansas is supposed to be great. They won't go 40-0 this season, though. They'll lose a few games. One of them might as well be to Marquette - two, counting the 2024 Final Four matchup!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023, 10:34:42 AM »
Not saying it would be easy, but KU beat UK by 5 with Wagner and Reaves shooting 8 for 37

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2023, 10:38:32 AM »
Galway

I am too lazy to look but I think they have been ranked top ten for 8+ straight weeks dating back to last year. Get used to it!!!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2023, 10:46:41 AM »

We Are Marquette!

I actually like their chances against Kansas. UCLA might cause some problems though. Bona is going to feast on the glass. I think we should be fine, but they will cause some problems in Game 1. Can't wait to be up until 1AM to see the finish of that one!
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2023, 10:49:22 AM »
I actually like their chances against Kansas. UCLA might cause some problems though. Bona is going to feast on the glass. I think we should be fine, but they will cause some problems in Game 1. Can't wait to be up until 1AM to see the finish of that one!

If Bona "is going to feast on the glass", what will the Kansas dude who went for 27 points and 21 rebounds against Kentucky last night going to do on the glass?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2023, 10:51:24 AM »
If Bona "is going to feast on the glass", what will the Kansas dude who went for 27 points and 21 rebounds against Kentucky last night going to do on the glass?

I think Oso does better against Dickinson-types than Bona-types. Bona is a bowling ball with athleticism. Oso can at least out jump Dickinson or be the quickest to the ball against him.
VIOLENCE!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2023, 10:59:36 AM »
I think Oso does better against Dickinson-types than Bona-types. Bona is a bowling ball with athleticism. Oso can at least out jump Dickinson or be the quickest to the ball against him.

Agree. Dickinson struggled with Hawkins in the Illini scrimmage. Sadly, Oso doesn't really have a "keep em honest 3" like Ben does. Will be interesting to see how Shaka manages lineups.

Kentucky was without their primary bigs and airballed a ton of 3s. That is usually a good recipe for getting rebounds. But man, did they get some WIDE OPEN threes against Kansas. If our guys are feeling it from 3, it could be a lot of fun.

Hope we beat UCLA so we can see this for real!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2023, 11:00:10 AM »
Yeah I agree. Seeing anything above 8 was surreal for me last year and still is. Seeing number 1 next to Marquette would be absolutely incredible. I also think you get into court rushing territory from other teams and this is a team I think would respond with a vengeance and then some to that happening.

Yeah, I think we should hang a banner if we win Hawaii and get to number 1

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2023, 11:02:38 AM »

*Beat Kansas
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2023, 11:26:16 AM »

Well, seeing how Kentucky didn't have a player over 6'7" and they lost by 5 in an 83 possession game.

I think Kansas is stoppable.

Also anything after the UCLA game would be gravy. Beat UCLA and give yourself 2 chances to secure a top 10 win.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2023, 11:49:19 AM »
Well, seeing how Kentucky didn't have a player over 6'7" and they lost by 5 in an 83 possession game.

I think Kansas is stoppable.

Also anything after the UCLA game would be gravy. Beat UCLA and give yourself 2 chances to secure a top 10 win.

I agree with this analysis
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2023, 11:51:53 AM »
Let’s do this.

I’m not sure why, but I HATE having UCLA in that first game, so much so that I don’t even care about Kansas. Getting to even face them would be a celebration in my eyes, because it would be one of the best matchups of the season in NCAAb.

I think it’s because Mick Cronin and how effective his teams are defensively and how slow he typically plays.
I haven’t looked into their start this season yet, but Brews point that it might taken them time to gel and the fact that Marquette is about as gelled as it gets makes me feel much better.

Really looking forward to my Muggsy style 8pm pour over followed by a 10PM old fashioned on Monday. Took Tuesday- Turkey Day off because of this, really wish I was making the trip, but my couch will have to do.

Enjoy the ride, don’t only worry about the destination.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2023, 11:52:30 AM »
Its really hard to judge how good any of these teams are until there are more data points. Duke lost to Arizona at home and then beat a Michigan St team that lost to James Madison at home. Does that mean Dukes win is huge because they beat a blue blood.

For all we know Kansas beat a Kentucky team that will be a 7 seed come march. Every year the four teams participate in the champions classic thinking they are always top 15 teams because they start the year there. Look at UNC last year. Started 1 and didn't even make the tournament. Point being we don't know how good Kansas really is. It will be a game regardless but they aren't some juggernaut because they beat 17th ranked Kentucky

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2023, 11:57:09 AM »

Two banners: Maui Champs and #1.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2023, 11:57:53 AM »
Its really hard to judge how good any of these teams are until there are more data points. Duke lost to Arizona at home and then beat a Michigan St team that lost to James Madison at home. Does that mean Dukes win is huge because they beat a blue blood.

For all we know Kansas beat a Kentucky team that will be a 7 seed come march. Every year the four teams participate in the champions classic thinking they are always top 15 teams because they start the year there. Look at UNC last year. Started 1 and didn't even make the tournament. Point being we don't know how good Kansas really is. It will be a game regardless but they aren't some juggernaut because they beat 17th ranked Kentucky

All we know is that we'll be ranked #1 if we win our next 3 games.

That's all the knowledge I need right now!

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2023, 12:02:33 PM »
Let’s do this.

I’m not sure why, but I HATE having UCLA in that first game, so much so that I don’t even care about Kansas. Getting to even face them would be a celebration in my eyes, because it would be one of the best matchups of the season in NCAAb.

I think it’s because Mick Cronin and how effective his teams are defensively and how slow he typically plays.
I haven’t looked into their start this season yet, but Brews point that it might taken them time to gel and the fact that Marquette is about as gelled as it gets makes me feel much better.

Really looking forward to my Muggsy style 8pm pour over followed by a 10PM old fashioned on Monday. Took Tuesday- Turkey Day off because of this, really wish I was making the trip, but my couch will have to do.

Enjoy the ride, don’t only worry about the destination.

The boys played the game they wanted to play against UI save for missed bunnies and dunks. I'm confident they will do the same against UCLA.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2023, 12:09:56 PM »

How do you stop them? Watch last night's game again. Pack the paint, defend the interior, make them shoot threes. They do plenty well but can't shoot. Dickinson will get numbers, but you can take advantage of him in pick and roll. Finally, they want to run, and I say let them. Turn up the tempo and see who wins the turnover battle. That will also force them into their depth, another place I feel we have an edge.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.