[Today at 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[Today at 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[Today at 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Feinstein Dead at 90  (Read 8477 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Feinstein Dead at 90
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2023, 09:23:34 AM »
Yes.    However, McCarthy probably could have avoided it if he had not turned on the Democrats over the weekend after using them to keep the government running.    Don't get a continuing resolution and then turn on those who gave you the votes.   

Dems weren't going to support McCarthy without significant concessions. There is no way Republicans would have gone along with that even if he did.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2023, 09:28:33 AM »
I think the opposite is true. But you guys can have your fun pretending Rs would think rationally. Trump just called for the execution of all shoplifters and what R said “Hey, that’s crazy”? The majority of them supported the overthrow of the US government.

But, yes they would do the rational thing.

You guys are as loony as they are if you think Dems voting for a snake like McCarthy would work.

Agreed to this main thrust.

Galaxy brain stuff to see people think the Democratic party is responsible for upholding an institution and doing the bidding of the Speaker when they are the minority.

In a two party system when one of the those two has actively decided that democracy is more a shrug and not a foundational principle I am not absolving the arsonists of blame while I look at the firefighters and say "do more, do more".

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2023, 09:47:32 AM »
All I'm saying is that the devil the Dems know might have proven less awful than the person likely to end up as speaker.

Others are free to disagree, and some already have.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2023, 09:52:25 AM »
All I'm saying is that the devil the Dems know might have proven less awful than the person likely to end up as speaker.

The political calculus is that this new Speaker will be more problematic for Republicans than for Democrats because he/she will insist on creating headlines that will make Republicans seem even nuttier in 2024.

A government shut-down doesn't help the Republicans.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2023, 09:54:52 AM »

The political calculus is that this new Speaker will be more problematic for Republicans than for Democrats because he/she will insist on creating headlines that will make Republicans seem even nuttier in 2024.

A government shut-down doesn't help the Republicans.

It's probably true that is the Dems' political calculus. And the end result you suggest could prove true, too.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2023, 10:44:59 AM »

Dems weren't going to support McCarthy without significant concessions. There is no way Republicans would have gone along with that even if he did.

Exactly what I said (although you may have said it a bit more rationally).

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2023, 10:50:46 AM »

82 I'm with you 100%.  The problem is that the Dems often reach out to compromise only to have the Republicans either reject it or play it against them later.  Look at healthcare (Dems went with a Republican plan from the Heritage Foundation not universal coverage), or free trade (in spite of opposition from unions, the Dems adopted the Republican position on NAFTA), or foreign affairs (who is strong v Russia now?).  The list goes on and on with the Republicans arguing against positions they once held just so they have something to use against the Dems.  Need more? Look at the The Gang of 8 in the Senate who agreed to immigration reform (rejected by the hard right), or entitlement reform like The Grand Bargain (again rejected by the hard right).  So I agree with you that it may have been helpful for the Dems to reach out and help the Republicans again, but I wouldn't put it past the Republicans to blame it all on the Dems immediately thereafter. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2023, 10:51:04 AM »
The Dems could regret giving the wingnuts power here.

Had a handful of moderate Dems voted against the ouster, keeping McCarthy as speaker, it would have rewarded compromise and pre-empted future attempts by Gaetz and his small band of anti-democracy yahoos to try to take over the government.

McCarthy was a lousy speaker who bent the knee at the alter of the seditionist god even after having correctly (albeit briefly) blamed the future criminal defendant for fomenting a violent coup attempt against America. But McCarthy at least was the devil the Dems knew, and a guy who at times was willing to work across the aisle for what he felt was the good of America.

Reagan is spinning in his grave today, and Tip O'Neill might be, too.

The very worst politicians in America got exactly what they wanted -- and it has absolutely nothing to do with deficit-reduction, governing or serving their constituents. They got attention, chaos and, most importantly, attaboys from the 91-felony criminal defendant they worship.

It's hard to see McCarthy's ouster turning out well for our great democratic republic.

The notion that it was somehow incumbent upon the Democrats to save McCarthy and the rest of the
GOP from the monsters they created and empowered is a farce. Particularly after McCarthy publicly stated he didn't want the Dems support and would offer no concessions in return.

To borrow a tweet I saw, the stance of the "sane" GOP here seems to be:
"Democrats are communist satanist pedophile dictators who want to destroy America, and also it is their solemn responsibility to protect us from the rabid lunatics in our own party, in exchange for nothing."

Will the next Speaker be worse? Perhaps. But again, that's not the Democrats' problem to fix.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2023, 10:52:01 AM »
The notion that it was somehow incumbent upon the Democrats to save McCarthy and the rest of the
GOP from the monsters they created and empowered is a farce. Particularly after McCarthy publicly stated he didn't want the Dems support and would offer no concessions in return.

"Democrats are communist satanist pedophile dictators who want to destroy America, and also it is their solemn responsibility to protect us from the rabid lunatics in our own party, in exchange for nothing."

Will the next Speaker be worse? Perhaps. But again, that's not the Democrats' problem to fix.

Dems in disarray
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2023, 11:00:42 AM »
Dems in disarray

Candidly, Congress is in disarray. The problem is the Administrative State is stepping in to fill the void. Absent Congress starting to collectively do what the American people sent them to do, the Administrative State will become much more paramount.

The Cheeto talks about "draining the swamp." If you want to drain the swamp, you begin by having Congress do its job and the President working with the Congress to get things done. Otherwise, career bureaucrats with no sense of how things work outside Interstate 495 will find ways to enhance their power and their control over everyday life.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2023, 01:10:11 PM »

I agree with most of this. I also never said it was the Dems' responsibility to save McCarthy from the GOP or the GOP from itself.

The idealist in me would like a functioning government and a little less drama to get us there. But I'm a realist, too.

Meanwhile, I did just read two articles about how much the vast majority of Republicans in Congress truly hate Gaetz. They were fun reads, filled with quotes from those who are furious with him, but they helped create that monster, too.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2023, 01:33:53 PM »
I am going to paint with a broad brush: the GOP is a joke and deserves what they get. It will be hard to convince the voters who actually decide elections that they are the party to vote for.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2023, 01:38:41 PM »
Lotsa golf yet ta bea played, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2023, 01:48:28 PM »
I need fresh blood.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2023, 02:00:13 PM »
I am going to paint with a broad brush: the GOP is a joke and deserves what they get. It will be hard to convince the voters who actually decide elections that they are the party to vote for.
Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2023, 02:01:58 PM »
Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

And no nation embraces its stupidity quite like America
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2023, 02:12:41 PM »
Candidly, Congress is in disarray. The problem is the Administrative State is stepping in to fill the void. Absent Congress starting to collectively do what the American people sent them to do, the Administrative State will become much more paramount.

The Cheeto talks about "draining the swamp." If you want to drain the swamp, you begin by having Congress do its job and the President working with the Congress to get things done. Otherwise, career bureaucrats with no sense of how things work outside Interstate 495 will find ways to enhance their power and their control over everyday life.

Sorry, but this is silly bothsiderism. Congress isn't in disarray, one side of Congress is in disarray...the side that has no interest in governing but all the interest in throwing bombs and enriching themselves from the ensuing chaos. The side that, if Mitt Romney is to be believed, is afraid for the safety of themselves and their families if they vote against their cult leader. The side whose last four Speakers were 1) forced to resign by its own party, 2) quit because the monster they had created was ungovernable, 3) ditto, and 4) was voted out...not to mention their past Speaker who was jailed for being a pedophile.

Spare me the take that this is a both sides problem.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 04:02:49 PM by TSmith34, Inc. »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2023, 02:16:05 PM »
Or, as was so eloquently stated, "Not my monkey. Not my circus."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2023, 02:24:24 PM »
This is one point, Brother MU, you and I absolutely agree. Had the Democrats intervened, McCarthy would have owed them and the spirit of compromise might have prevailed in the House. Instead, as you note, we're headed for chaos.

Now back to the main topic. I'm not a liberal Democrat but I respected Senator Feinstein greatly. She was a trailblazer for women in the Senate and she represented her constituents well. You have to admire that. She was a great American and she will be missed.

BAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAAH.  McCarthy showed the Dems his true colors two days earlier.  He would have owed them, but never would have paid.

Good Lord, man, the facts are out there.

Feinstein was great, and then the year 2010 hit and she didn't retire.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2023, 02:24:54 PM »
Meanwhile, Butler, da Newsom appointed U.S. senator, resides in Maryland. What da fook is goin' on in dis turd world country, formally known as da USA, hey?

He wasn't going to appoint anyone you liked anyway, so why do you care?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2023, 03:02:53 PM »

Which is why I say let them continue fighting with each other over complete stupidity.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2023, 03:03:06 PM »
I agree with most of this. I also never said it was the Dems' responsibility to save McCarthy from the GOP or the GOP from itself.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that was your stance. It's been the stance among some McCarthy supporters and non-MAGA Republicans.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2023, 03:07:27 PM »
He wasn't going to appoint anyone you liked anyway, so why do you care?
Because that's what Fox told him to be angry about today

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2023, 04:14:52 PM »
Because that's what Fox told him to be angry about today

I mean it’s objectively a huge joke and pandering bastardization of what should be done in that situation.  But at the same time, it’s the kind of shady grey area maneuvering the GOP has been fantastic at for a decade that the Dems haven’t been able to counter or refuse to.  So there’s that.

This really should the catalyst for the fracturing of the framework of the 2 party system and allow for more representative parties/candidates.  But we know that has 0% chance of happening

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2023, 04:21:28 PM »