[Today at 09:03:02 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[Today at 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[Today at 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: State Fairs  (Read 1829 times)

real chili 83

• All American
State Fairs
« on: August 28, 2023, 12:35:55 PM »
164k at MN state fair on Sunday.  New record.

No thanks.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: State Fairs
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 12:59:40 PM »
Do they still only serve 3.2% beer at the fair?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 01:12:36 PM »
Things I have learned at state fairs:

Mississippi State Fair: It is not a good idea to put the Jacuzzi sales stand next to the petting zoo when there is no place to clean your hands after petting the animals.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 01:51:15 PM »
Do they still only serve 3.2% beer at the fair?

No
The FBI screwed up in Butler, PA.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 01:53:45 PM »
164k at MN state fair on Sunday.  New record.

No thanks.

174k Sunday; record is 210k. But Friday set a record for that day — 165k

I went Saturday. Fricken 213k!!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 02:37:34 PM »
Fairs are for plebs.  I don't go to them.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 03:08:52 PM »
No

After I moved to MN in 1987 and my 1st trip to the grocery store I bought a 6 pack only to later I thought it should have been a crime, they should have to mark those cans as 3.2!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 03:15:00 PM »
After I moved to MN in 1987 and my 1st trip to the grocery store I bought a 6 pack only to later I thought it should have been a crime, they should have to mark those cans as 3.2!

Little did you know at the time that a 6-pack is supposed to last 3 weeks!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 05:58:55 PM »

Did you stop by my bbq place at the fair?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 07:32:12 PM »

How many Sweet Marthas did you put down?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 08:30:46 AM »
We saw a young(ish) Jay Leno doing stand-up at the Minnesota State Fair in the late-'80s. He had fairly recently become Johnny's regular vacation sub IIRC but was still doing a lot of stand-up. Was very funny back then.

Also saw Bob Dylan there once. It was a bad show; he was even less coherent than usual, he didn't interact with the audience once, and he pretty much mailed it in. As a big Dylan fan, it was painful to watch.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 02:28:22 PM »
I remember going to the MN State Fair as a kid, but my most recent memories are of the WI State Fair.

Can someone explain why the hell farmers bring their animals to a state fair?    I mean .. maybe the animals kinda like the vacation?  Or they are tramautized by the constant parade of humans who will eventually eat them. 

Then there's the farmer kids who look monumentally bored, killing time on their phones.

Seems like a lot of work for very little reward.

On the flip side, beyond taking toddler kids to see animals and do some kiddie rides, do people actually enjoy parading past pigs and goats?   Enjoy over-priced beers and hot dogs?  Have fun buying uber knives and wonder mops?

Also, get off my lawn.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 02:39:12 PM »
I remember going to the MN State Fair as a kid, but my most recent memories are of the WI State Fair.

Can someone explain why the hell farmers bring their animals to a state fair?    I mean .. maybe the animals kinda like the vacation?  Or they are tramautized by the constant parade of humans who will eventually eat them. 

Then there's the farmer kids who look monumentally bored, killing time on their phones.

On the flip side, beyond taking toddler kids to see animals and do some kiddie rides, do people actually enjoy parading past pigs and goats?   Enjoy over-priced beers and hot dogs?  Have fun buying uber knives and wonder mops?

Also, get off my lawn.

You're doing it wrong if all you're eating is hot dogs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 02:48:04 PM »

Also, get off my lawn.

There are big time scholarships hand outs for kids raising livestock. It’s a strong cultural cornerstone of many rural areas in the state.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2023, 02:55:29 PM »
There are big time scholarships hand outs for kids raising livestock. It’s a strong cultural cornerstone of many rural areas in the state.

Perhaps this could solve crime in Chicago?

I had no food other than a bite of the gf’s Luigi Fries.  I won a basketball yet again on the Midway. So easy!!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2023, 03:17:15 PM »

Understood .. but .. not all the animals there are brought by scholarship seeking kids.

Not sure how actually bringing an animal to a State Fair would garner a scholarship, but stranger things are true.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2023, 03:22:52 PM »
...stranger things are true.

Work of fiction.   Don't believe everything you see on Netflix.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2023, 03:35:27 PM »

Also, get off my lawn.

Generally those aren't individual farmers bringing animals to the fair. They're 4-H kids in rural counties who "show" their animals and there is competition and judging and as someone else mentioned there often is scholarship money and other incentives involved. Trust me, this is a very big deal for these kids, especially those who intend to make farming their life's work ( 14 year old kids from Rhinelander aren't hauling their prize hogs down to West Allis just so you can pet them).

panda

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2023, 03:38:04 PM »
Generally those aren't individual farmers bringing animals to the fair. They're 4-H kids in rural counties who "show" their animals and there is competition and judging and as someone else mentioned there often is scholarship money and other incentives involved. Trust me, this is a very big deal for these kids, especially those who intend to make farming their life's work ( 14 year old kids from Rhinelander aren't hauling their prize hogs down to West Allis just so you can pet them).

Yep

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2023, 03:46:14 PM »
Understood .. but .. not all the animals there are brought by scholarship seeking kids.

Not sure how actually bringing an animal to a State Fair would garner a scholarship, but stranger things are true.

If you aren't aware of how county/state fairs work in regard to husbandry, I don't know what to tell you.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2023, 04:04:54 PM »
If you aren't aware of how county/state fairs work in regard to husbandry, I don't know what to tell you.

Ziggy, absolutely right. There are farmers in rural Wisconsin whose families have owned that land and those farms for 4, 5, 6 ( or more) generations. The breeding stock that they develop ( livestock, hogs, draft horses) becomes their brand. Winning " Best at Fair" or some such thing is advertising they could not buy. Cha-ching, Cha-ching.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2023, 05:33:22 AM »
Did anyone go by the manatee barn?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2023, 05:57:09 AM »
Perhaps this could solve crime in Chicago?

I had no food other than a bite of the gf’s Luigi Fries.  I won a basketball yet again on the Midway. So easy!!

Ya, right. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2023, 07:35:30 AM »
Did anyone go by the manatee barn?

We did try the manatee-on-a-stick Sporkie winner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2023, 08:12:47 AM »

feedback