[Today at 06:05:27 PM]

Shaka interview by Skatastrophy
[Today at 05:01:17 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[Today at 12:31:28 PM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[Today at 08:52:59 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024-25 NFL Thread  (Read 183993 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: 2024-25 NFL Thread
« Reply #4175 on: September 16, 2024, 10:08:23 PM »
What a lame flag. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4176 on: September 16, 2024, 10:10:31 PM »
Cousins marched Falcons down the field easily on that drive
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4177 on: September 16, 2024, 10:14:49 PM »
Love seeing Eagles lose at home. Cousins threw darts on the last drive.
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4178 on: September 16, 2024, 10:34:55 PM »
Kirk comes up clutch in prime time, as usual.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4179 on: September 16, 2024, 11:09:20 PM »
What a lame flag.

They picked up the flag when the Eagles removed their helmet to celebrate, but then threw that flag for a celebration.

The Eagles have got some amazingly beneficial calls down the stretch in both games this season.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4180 on: September 17, 2024, 12:15:31 AM »
What a lame flag.

A 100% correct flag, but the missed one CGJ was bad

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4181 on: September 17, 2024, 07:48:37 AM »
They picked up the flag when the Eagles removed their helmet to celebrate, but then threw that flag for a celebration.

The Eagles have got some amazingly beneficial calls down the stretch in both games this season.

They picked it up because even tho he didn’t do much to help the helmet stay on.

It started coming off natural on its own. Which isn’t a flag.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #4182 on: September 17, 2024, 09:05:14 AM »
They picked it up because even tho he didn’t do much to help the helmet stay on.

It started coming off natural on its own. Which isn’t a flag.
FWIW, they showed a replay later showing him clearly taking off his helmet after he got up after the play.

All in all, not a big deal. Or even any deal.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4183 on: September 17, 2024, 11:41:52 AM »
When you factor in what it cost the Panthers to get him, Young is a pretty damn good argument for top 2-3 worst #1 picks of all time.  I think you have to go back to Ki-Jana Carter before you reach similar lows.

Even Jamarcus Russell had a great second year if compared to Young in Year 2

I've read two articles in the last 24 hours saying that it could be the single worst trade in NFL history. And they might just be right.

I do agree with a few here who say it's still too early to say Young is through. He needs a good environment to learn and good coaching; he still might end up being no good, but he's a real good kid and I hope he gets a chance.

As for the Panthers being the worst franchise and/or Tepper being the worst owner ... I don't know how anybody could argue otherwise. Shyte-show is too kind a description.

I moved to Charlotte in August 2010, just in time to watch the Jimmy Clausen-led Panthers embarrass themselves on a weekly basis. That resulted in Cam Newton arriving the following year, Luke Kuechly the year after that, and some pretty darn entertaining, successful football for half a decade. I enjoyed rooting on the 2015 Panthers as much as any pro team in my life - a group with big personalities, a lot of swagger, and a rousing run to the Super Bowl.

The team has sucked since 2018, and it's been hard to watch. And now this.

We are moving away from Charlotte this fall. I'll remember the Newton/Kuechly Era very fondly but I don't think I'll have much problem leaving the Panthers behind.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4184 on: September 17, 2024, 11:52:56 AM »
Because the Niners stumbled into Brock Purdy, the Trey Lance trade doesn't get nearly enough credit as being among the worst of all time.
If Bryce Young never plays another game for the Panthers, he still gave the team more production than Lance gave the Niners, and for a price that could have been similar had they not (again) not lucked into Purdy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4185 on: September 17, 2024, 11:59:11 AM »
I think Sultan’s point about pre-season lack of reps extends back to less structured camps in the spring as well.

Mel Kiper, of all people, made a really good point today about this, in reference to the Bryce Young discussion.

Dererk Carr, in this 11th season as a starter, played two preseason games and has started the season on fire.
Bryce Young played one drive in the preseason, despite having his third head coach and third playcaller in less than a year, and somehow managed to regress.

Not sure whether Young ever will be, or would have been, good, but you can't imagine a worse development track than the one the Panthers put him on.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4186 on: September 17, 2024, 01:35:10 PM »
Mel Kiper, of all people, made a really good point today about this, in reference to the Bryce Young discussion.

Dererk Carr, in this 11th season as a starter, played two preseason games and has started the season on fire.
Bryce Young played one drive in the preseason, despite having his third head coach and third playcaller in less than a year, and somehow managed to regress.

Not sure whether Young ever will be, or would have been, good, but you can't imagine a worse development track than the one the Panthers put him on.

I didn't realize that he only played one series in the pre-season. That's nuts.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4187 on: September 17, 2024, 01:52:19 PM »
I didn't realize that he only played one series in the pre-season. That's nuts.
They did have a joint practice/scrimmage with the Jets, where allegedly he looked good. The Panther's line is horrific and getting him injured in a preseason game would not be ideal. I don't think not playing in a few more more preseason series is the biggest issue.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4188 on: September 17, 2024, 03:15:49 PM »
They did have a joint practice/scrimmage with the Jets, where allegedly he looked good. The Panther's line is horrific and getting him injured in a preseason game would not be ideal. I don't think not playing in a few more more preseason series is the biggest issue.

This past offseason, the Panthers spent 10s of millions of dollars upgrading their line. I haven't seen stats on how much better (or not) it is (or isn't), but several of Young's mistakes in the first two games came on plays in which he had time to throw. That's different from last season, when he was pounded and hounded all game every game.

The coach, Dave Canales, chose not to play any of his starters all preseason except for one series each on offense and defense. Other coaches did similar, but most of them were veteran teams whose players had been together for some time.

So lack of preseason play could have contributed to Young's woes, though it wasn't the only thing, and quite likely wasn't the main thing.

Canales was hired because he had a reputation for rehabilitating QBs - notably Baker Mayfield and Geno Smith. It was all about turning Young into a star.

Oops.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4189 on: September 17, 2024, 03:37:57 PM »

No, definitely not his biggest issue, but when you're trying to develop a young QB and an offense with a new playcaller and new scheme (and several new starters), you would think a few more game reps would be important.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4190 on: September 17, 2024, 03:56:32 PM »
No, definitely not his biggest issue, but when you're trying to develop a young QB and an offense with a new playcaller and new scheme (and several new starters), you would think a few more game reps would be important.
I think an issue was that the offensive line wasn't healthy in preseason as well. To me, Bryce's biggest problem is that he is 5'10" and not very accurate.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4191 on: September 17, 2024, 05:09:00 PM »
I think an issue was that the offensive line wasn't healthy in preseason as well. To me, Bryce's biggest problem is that he is 5'10" and not very accurate.

The list of small people with inaccurate throwing arms who succeed in the NFL is a short one.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4192 on: September 17, 2024, 06:01:07 PM »

He was accurate in college. If anything, his selling points were accuracy, instincts and decision-making, all of which have vanished under the tutelage of the Carolina Panthers.
He may or may not have been destined to flop, but - as much as you appear to be trying - it's impossible to credibly argue that the Panthers haven't egregiously bungled his development.

• All American
« Reply #4193 on: September 17, 2024, 06:18:57 PM »
He was accurate in college. If anything, his selling points were accuracy, instincts and decision-making, all of which have vanished under the tutelage of the Carolina Panthers.
He may or may not have been destined to flop, but - as much as you appear to be trying - it's impossible to credibly argue that the Panthers haven't egregiously bungled his development.

His height is likely impacting his accuracy in the NFL, but yeah the Panthers completely screwed this up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4194 on: September 17, 2024, 06:25:20 PM »
I'm not saying the Panthers haven't bungled his development. I am saying a few extra series in the preseason isn't what caused Young to play like Ryan Leaf.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4195 on: September 17, 2024, 09:01:05 PM »

I did not like the trade at all. But I fully admit that once the trade was made, I thought Young was the one to draft. D’oh!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4196 on: September 18, 2024, 04:05:47 PM »
I've read two articles in the last 24 hours saying that it could be the single worst trade in NFL history. And they might just be right.

I do agree with a few here who say it's still too early to say Young is through. He needs a good environment to learn and good coaching; he still might end up being no good, but he's a real good kid and I hope he gets a chance.

As for the Panthers being the worst franchise and/or Tepper being the worst owner ... I don't know how anybody could argue otherwise. Shyte-show is too kind a description.

I moved to Charlotte in August 2010, just in time to watch the Jimmy Clausen-led Panthers embarrass themselves on a weekly basis. That resulted in Cam Newton arriving the following year, Luke Kuechly the year after that, and some pretty darn entertaining, successful football for half a decade. I enjoyed rooting on the 2015 Panthers as much as any pro team in my life - a group with big personalities, a lot of swagger, and a rousing run to the Super Bowl.

The team has sucked since 2018, and it's been hard to watch. And now this.

We are moving away from Charlotte this fall. I'll remember the Newton/Kuechly Era very fondly but I don't think I'll have much problem leaving the Panthers behind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

People forget how bone headed this trade was.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 04:11:46 PM by Hards Alumni »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4197 on: September 19, 2024, 05:39:37 AM »
Dan Campbell is selling his house.  His address got out and Detroit fans have reacted poorly to losses, sending contractors to his house to do unnecessary work.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4198 on: September 19, 2024, 06:13:56 AM »
Dan Campbell is selling his house.  His address got out and Detroit fans have reacted poorly to losses, sending contractors to his house to do unnecessary work.

https://packers.timesfour.com/topic/matt-lafleur-s-2-1-million-dollar-home-in-depere-wi

Meanwhile... He's just left alone

• All American
« Reply #4199 on: September 19, 2024, 07:53:44 AM »
https://packers.timesfour.com/topic/matt-lafleur-s-2-1-million-dollar-home-in-depere-wi

Meanwhile... He's just left alone

Could be because an LLC is listed as the owner.  Mike McCarthy's place is the same...only a few blocks away.