[Today at 06:56:03 AM]

Tyler's Point Total by 1SE
[October 22, 2024, 11:27:54 PM]

2024-25 Big East TV Guide by We R Final Four
[October 22, 2024, 08:27:42 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette Preview by Shooter McGavin
[October 22, 2024, 07:09:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023-24 NBA Thread  (Read 166675 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: 2023-24 NBA Thread
« Reply #2900 on: July 09, 2024, 02:27:22 PM »

Of all the dozen issues the Lakers have, drafting Bronny and signing him to a guaranteed contract ranks about 13th. If that's what they are not happy with, it is misdirected anger.

I mean, signing Thannasis is a complete waste of a roster sport, but I understand why the Bucks do it.

Yeah, every playa should have their personal bellhop, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2901 on: July 09, 2024, 02:31:18 PM »
I hope people are able to separate Bronny the person from this situation. By all accounts, he's a really good kid and he knows he got this opportunity because of his dad. And he's going to work his ass off daily to try to capitalize it and turn it into a long NBA career. He's not just riding coattails.

If he sticks in the league for 10-15 years as a backup PG it'll be because he's a contributor and I hope people can find it in themselves to be happy for him.

Well, I mean, he is just riding his father's coattails.  Which is fine, but people acting like that's not what's happening are just insulting other peoples' intelligence.  If Bronny James was not LeBron James's son, he would not be in the NBA.  That's just reality.

Could he develop into a true NBA player over the next couple of years?  It's possible.  But he isn't right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2902 on: July 09, 2024, 03:55:53 PM »
I hope people are able to separate Bronny the person from this situation. By all accounts, he's a really good kid and he knows he got this opportunity because of his dad. And he's going to work his ass off daily to try to capitalize it and turn it into a long NBA career. He's not just riding coattails.

If he sticks in the league for 10-15 years as a backup PG it'll be because he's a contributor and I hope people can find it in themselves to be happy for him.
I don't follow all the traffic on the internet concerning Bronny. What I have heard and read in the media reflects your observation. Great young man and a hard worker. I haven't seen or heard personal attacks. I agree with you and hope it stay that way.

Face it, if LeBron left the Lakers because Bronny wasn't there, the team would get 100X more criticism than they are now for taking Bronny. I think you could fairly argue he could have been signed as an undrafted FA and preserved a draft choice, but that's a minor sticking point. I think the Lakers did fine with this.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2903 on: July 09, 2024, 03:58:36 PM »
Well, I mean, he is just riding his father's coattails.  Which is fine, but people acting like that's not what's happening are just insulting other peoples' intelligence.  If Bronny James was not LeBron James's son, he would not be in the NBA.  That's just reality.

I confess to having not read every bit of Bronny discourse online, but who out there is legitimately arguing that Bronny being selected by the Lakers was not because of his dad?

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2904 on: July 09, 2024, 04:16:54 PM »
I confess to having not read every bit of Bronny discourse online, but who out there is legitimately arguing that Bronny being selected by the Lakers was not because of his dad?

https://x.com/killakow/status/1138292190101364737?s=46&t=G2FhP_F2kWewaBOpvRv5lg

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2905 on: July 09, 2024, 04:34:38 PM »
Well the Lakers brass and Bronny's agent and some of LeBron's friends in the media have tried to argue he was worthy of being drafted. Those people don't really have a choice in the matter. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2906 on: July 09, 2024, 05:06:39 PM »

The post I quoted said about Bronny, "He's not just riding coattails."  I'm sure Bronny is a great kid, I'm sure he does work his ass off.  Those things don't make one an NBA player.  Bronny is the definition of "riding someone's coattails."  Which again, is fine!  I'm perfectly fine with the Bucks keeping Thenasis on the roster to keep little bro happy.  It's business.  And maybe in the future Bronny proves to be more than that.  But, no matter how hard he works or how good of a kid he is, he's in the NBA only by riding his father's coattails.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2907 on: July 09, 2024, 06:23:55 PM »
I don't follow all the traffic on the internet concerning Bronny. What I have heard and read in the media reflects your observation. Great young man and a hard worker. I haven't seen or heard personal attacks. I agree with you and hope it stay that way.

Face it, if LeBron left the Lakers because Bronny wasn't there, the team would get 100X more criticism than they are now for taking Bronny. I think you could fairly argue he could have been signed as an undrafted FA and preserved a draft choice, but that's a minor sticking point. I think the Lakers did fine with this.

I watched an interview on the Today Show with LeBron. He said the greatest accomplishment of his career would be to play with his son. I don’t think “accomplishment” was the right word - maybe thrill, satisfaction or something else would have been more accurate. The point, though, is that he’s very proud of his son and playing with him is REALLY important to LeBron. I think that’s a good thing.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2908 on: July 09, 2024, 09:09:10 PM »

Could he develop into a true NBA player over the next couple of years?  It's possible.  But he isn't right now.

What I'm saying is that his dad got him in the door, but if he sticks it'll be because he deserves it. Obviously he would not have been drafted if it weren't for his dad, but that has nothing to do with what I said. In the initial post I said he's in the NBA because of his dad but IF he sticks, he's not just riding coattails at that point.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 09:11:45 PM by BM1090 »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2909 on: July 10, 2024, 04:22:35 AM »
What I'm saying is that his dad got him in the door, but if he sticks it'll be because he deserves it. Obviously he would not have been drafted if it weren't for his dad, but that has nothing to do with what I said. In the initial post I said he's in the NBA because of his dad but IF he sticks, he's not just riding coattails at that point.
Depends if his dad becomes GM, and signs Bronny.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2910 on: July 10, 2024, 07:21:16 AM »
I watched an interview on the Today Show with LeBron. He said the greatest accomplishment of his career would be to play with his son. I don’t think “accomplishment” was the right word - maybe thrill, satisfaction or something else would have been more accurate. The point, though, is that he’s very proud of his son and playing with him is REALLY important to LeBron. I think that’s a good thing.

Outstanding post.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2911 on: July 10, 2024, 08:35:10 AM »
And for some parents it is REALLY important that their children attend the same college or work at the same company as them. That is a good thing too?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2912 on: July 10, 2024, 08:43:16 AM »
And for some parents it is REALLY important that their children attend the same college or work at the same company as them. That is a good thing too?

Maybe...maybe not.

Why are you so fired up about this? In the end, it's pretty meaningless.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2913 on: July 10, 2024, 09:06:33 AM »
Maybe...maybe not.

So it may not be a good thing for Bronny to get to play with his dad?

I say good from the James family. I don't know why you think it might not be a good thing.

But, as you accurately state, in the end it's pretty meaningless.

• All American
« Reply #2914 on: July 10, 2024, 09:10:13 AM »
So it may not be a good thing for Bronny to get to play with his dad?

I was answering your other hypothetical. Not addressing Bronny at all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2915 on: July 10, 2024, 09:16:40 AM »
Maybe...maybe not.

He doesn’t care about Bronny or Lebron.  Just ask him
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2916 on: July 10, 2024, 09:21:05 AM »
Bronny was a 5 star recruit.  Scouts rave that he plays the right way, is unselfish, etc.

He's not going to embarass himself on a NBA court and it's not inconceivable that other teams would take a flyer on a former 5 star at 55.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2917 on: July 10, 2024, 09:41:30 AM »
Bronny was a 5 star recruit.  Scouts rave that he plays the right way, is unselfish, etc.

He's not going to embarass himself on a NBA court and it's not inconceivable that other teams would take a flyer on a former 5 star at 55.
Adonis Arms (best name in basketball) begs to differ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGkZ-zF4yo

• All American
« Reply #2918 on: July 10, 2024, 09:44:18 AM »
Adonis Arms (best name in basketball) begs to differ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGkZ-zF4yo

We seriously going to do this on a summer league game?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2919 on: July 10, 2024, 09:48:26 AM »
Yes. He embarassed himself the first game. Will he improve? Yes. Will he improve enough to get minutes on his own? who knows?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2920 on: July 10, 2024, 09:52:35 AM »

He really wasn't.  He was a 40-50 range player before getting buzzed up by ESPN and what not and he didn't even end up in the top 25.  He wouldn't have been a McDs AA if his name was Brian Johnson.

He was basically right about where Vander was in the recruit rankings and freshman year production.  Nobody would have been taking a flier on Vander cause his recruit ranking.

Again, its not that big of a deal, its cool for Lebron and a nice story, but we don't need to be making up nonsense justification narratives to make this something its not.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2921 on: July 10, 2024, 09:55:22 AM »

Derrick Rose scored only 10 points while committing 5 turnovers in his Summer League debut. His first shot was an air ball. He would go on to average 9.5 ppg in the Summer League that year.
In that same game, #2 pick Michael Beasley scored 28 points and added 9 boards in 23 minutes. And yeah, people were already questioning the Bulls' decision to take Rose over Beasley.

Just goes to show how important these games are.

• All American
« Reply #2922 on: July 10, 2024, 09:57:31 AM »
Yes. He embarassed himself the first game. Will he improve? Yes. Will he improve enough to get minutes on his own? who knows?

He didn't "embarrass" himself - I don't think you *can* embarrass yourself in an NBA summer league game unless your shorts fall down. Anyway, my guess is that he is no different than dozens of other NBA rookies who don't figure things out right away.

Look, I don't think he's that good, but spending eight minutes on a second round pick's summer league game is a bit much.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2923 on: July 10, 2024, 10:14:20 AM »
Derrick Rose scored only 10 points while committing 5 turnovers in his Summer League debut. His first shot was an air ball. He would go on to average 9.5 ppg in the Summer League that year.
In that same game, #2 pick Michael Beasley scored 28 points and added 9 boards in 23 minutes. And yeah, people were already questioning the Bulls' decision to take Rose over Beasley.

Just goes to show how important these games are.
Derrick Rose only played 2 summer league games.He showed enough in those two games in driving to the hoop and running the offense to not need to play anymore. The games aren't important for 1st rounders.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2924 on: July 10, 2024, 10:14:51 AM »
He didn't "embarrass" himself - I don't think you *can* embarrass yourself in an NBA summer league game unless your shorts fall down. Anyway, my guess is that he is no different than dozens of other NBA rookies who don't figure things out right away.

Look, I don't think he's that good, but spending eight minutes on a second round pick's summer league game is a bit much.
How about falling down trying to guard a guy?