'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Markus Howard Jersey Be Retired

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Markus Howard Jersey Retirement  (Read 27142 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Poll: Markus Howard Jersey Retirement
« Reply #200 on: September 22, 2023, 08:59:33 AM »
OK guys, if you can convince the basketball leadership at Marquette to retire Markus Howard's jersey, be my guest.

Compared to the other Marquette greats that are in the rafters, Markus Howard is light years behind. How many of you really think Markus is a Marquette great in the line with George Thompson, Butch Lee, Bo Ellis, Dean Meminger, Dwyane Wade or Maurice Lucas? Let's also consider some of the great Warriors who aren't up there, such as Jim Chones, Wes Matthews or Travis Diener. I may be a "sweatervest", but I've seen a lot of Marquette basketball and these guys made a difference to our program.

I don't see how Markus did.

Keep in mind that in the tournament that counts, we were 0 for the Wojo era, of which Markus was a big part. Wojo got fired for a reason. Markus was a big part of that! We demonize the Hauser brothers, which I admit is easy, but think about what any of us would have done if we were in Sam and Joey's shoes. You had a ball hogging guard who was going to be there another year and you were getting the leftovers. And, like Vanilla Soft Serve, Markus couldn't play defense.

At the end of the day, Markus was a good shot and apparently, a very impressive human being. Buit, he didn't make the team around him better nor was a vital cog in a Big East leading program.

All that said, if you want a reminder of the Wojo era every time you walk into the FiServ, hang a Markus banner.

Sam averaged 8.8, 14.1, 14.9 (11.1 FGA) at Marquette he averaged 16 (11.7 FGA) at Virginia with a year on the bench to age up. I don't think Markus was the one holding him back from 1.1 ppg because Markus didn't give him .6 more FGA a game.

Joey averaged 9.7 (7.1 FGA) at Marquette, then after a year of growing still went 9.7 (7.1 FGA) 7.3 (5.3 FGA) and 14.4 (10 FGA) Was it Markus and Wojo still holding Joey back?

Just for reference let's also add in that Rowsey managed 20.5ppg when Sam and Howard were sophomores so the ball was getting around plenty then.

Markus was objectively a ball hog in the 19-20 season arguably by necessity but Sam seemingly got enough touches to maximize his scoring output in 18-19 and 17-18 unless you think there was a ball hog on Virginia? Joey, you could argue deserved more but given what he showed at MSU for the next two years I'm not sure he did.

The Wojo system was terrible and the ball wasn't shared well but they got plenty of looks to hit the numbers that they put up elsewhere.

All that said I do agree with your better points about the non Doc Rivers people up in the rafters and about who isn't retired.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 09:01:16 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2023, 09:00:12 AM »
Lol at the idea that Markus did not make the team better.  Look at the roster his senior year.  The best players on the roster not named Markus Howard were Sacar Anim, Koby McEwen, and Brendan Bailey.  Those guys are mid major players.  Remove Markus from that team and they in maybe 3 conference games.  Instead they were an NCAA Tournament team had it not been canceled.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2023, 09:04:47 AM »
I have heard a lot of sweater-vests say that they hate the fact that Don Kojis' number is retired because it reminds them too much of the Eddie Hickey era.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2023, 09:35:34 AM »
dgies:

It's one thing to opine on whether or not Markus deserves to have his jersey hoisted to the rafters. We all have opinions.

But your argument is filled with errors of fact - which you still haven't acknowledged - as well as poorly reasoned conclusions. Please read Galway's post about how Markus' teammates got plenty of opportunities; it's simple stats and facts.

You can do better (and usually do), so I was surprised by your continued attacks on a two-time All-American who gave every ounce of energy he had every single game.

Oh, and I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the honored jerseys when I go to games ... but if I did look up and see "0" up there, I'd be thankful I got to watch a great warrior play. I wouldn't think of Wojo for one second.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2023, 09:43:28 AM »
I have heard a lot of sweater-vests say that they hate the fact that Don Kojis' number is retired because it reminds them too much of the Eddie Hickey era.

Ha!  That is part of the rational being used to dis Markus. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2023, 10:14:45 AM »
Markus Howard was one of the best players and best people to ever put on a Marquette jersey.  He belongs in the rafters easily.

Every single team in the NCAA would have been elated to have him on their team ever year he played at Marquette.

I can't imagine anyone subjectively arguing otherwise.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2023, 11:22:17 AM »
dgies:

It's one thing to opine on whether or not Markus deserves to have his jersey hoisted to the rafters. We all have opinions.

But your argument is filled with errors of fact - which you still haven't acknowledged - as well as poorly reasoned conclusions. Please read Galway's post about how Markus' teammates got plenty of opportunities; it's simple stats and facts.

You can do better (and usually do), so I was surprised by your continued attacks on a two-time All-American who gave every ounce of energy he had every single game.

Oh, and I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the honored jerseys when I go to games ... but if I did look up and see "0" up there, I'd be thankful I got to watch a great warrior play. I wouldn't think of Wojo for one second.

Sure dat "0" woodant bea for Oliver Lee, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2023, 12:13:18 PM »
Dgeezer thinks Yadi is the greatest baseball player of all time.  Leave him with his thoughts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2023, 04:30:35 PM »

Sure dat "0" woodant bea for Oliver Lee, hey?

Nah. Anyone who would see that number in the rafters would be reminded of Hank's team that lost to Miami of Ohio.

Similarly, when I see the #3 up there, I don't think of the great Dwyane Wade but of Crean going to Indiana.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #209 on: September 22, 2023, 04:50:04 PM »
Markus Howard was one of the best players and best people to ever put on a Marquette jersey.  He belongs in the rafters easily.

Every single team in the NCAA would have been elated to have him on their team ever year he played at Marquette.

I can't imagine anyone subjectively arguing otherwise.
I wouldn't take him over TK or Diener.  Think Shaka would trade TK for Markus?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #210 on: September 22, 2023, 04:59:48 PM »

They're great in their own way. I know I never saw Travis in college but based on stats, videos, & accolades plus toughness of competition I'd take both over Travis.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2023, 05:03:10 PM »
They're great in their own way. I know I never saw Travis in college but based on stats, videos, & accolades plus toughness of competition I'd take both over Travis.

Travis Diener was and is, a dude.  Would have been a star and dude on any Marquett team and for any Marquette coach.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #212 on: September 22, 2023, 05:17:20 PM »
Travis Diener was and is, a dude.  Would have been a star and dude on any Marquett team and for any Marquette coach.

Saying a two major conference POYs and all Americans were better in no way diminishes anything that he did or was.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2023, 05:37:36 PM »
You guys should really stop dissing
Markus.  He was a great player, great scorer and a great representative of MU.

He was - at times - a walking highlight real.  Should his number in the rafters ?
Yes.  He’s the all time leading scorer at MU. Whether he is “ better “ than Travis or TKO does not matter. 

As someone said above in his Jr and Sr years there’s not a team in the country that would not have wanted / taken him.

Could he have been better w / another coach?  Sure.  But that’s not on him

• All American
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2023, 06:38:54 PM »

That’s an opinion and you’re entitled to it. I’m a huge fan of both, too, and would have no problem with either or both being honored.

But it has little if anything to do with honoring a two-time All-American who was nothing but a great representative of our alma mater while setting the all-time scoring record.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2023, 06:39:02 PM »

Nah man, Travis has the heart of a lion. Just a flat out assassin who'd cut your eyes out for a "w," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2023, 06:46:43 PM »

Nah man, Travis has the heart of a lion. Just a flat out assassin who'd cut your eyes out for a "w," hey?

Let’s not go overboard here. He was a very good player.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2023, 07:19:24 PM »
That's crazy talk.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2023, 07:24:02 PM »
Let’s not go overboard here. He was a very good player.

No hyperbole, #34 is a flat out winner, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2023, 07:27:45 PM »

TKO would very much struggle to have the influence he currently does in a Wojo schemed offense.  If the only swap that is happening is M2N for TKO, the Wojo era would look worse than it does and the Shaka era would look better.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

• All American
« Reply #221 on: September 22, 2023, 07:47:54 PM »

No hyperbole, #34 is a flat out winner, hey?

Except, of course, when he was a senior and even before he got hurt was a borderline NCAA team at best.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #222 on: September 22, 2023, 08:25:12 PM »
Love Travis Denier.  And would want him on my team any day of the week. But,  Markus Howard would have thrived on a team with Wade, Novak and Jackson.  This is a time and place argument more than anything.

Wojo has tainted the views of a minority of the fan base.  Markus Howard was a great player and received national recognition for his play at a time and place with an average coach surrounded by much less talent than Travis Deiner.  He was the only good thing going for MU during his tenure.  Not his issue in the slightest.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #223 on: September 22, 2023, 08:40:41 PM »
Love Travis Denier.  And would want him on my team any day of the week. But,  Markus Howard would have thrived on a team with Wade, Novak and Jackson.  This is a time and place argument more than anything.

Wojo has tainted the views of a minority of the fan base.  Markus Howard was a great player and received national recognition for his play at a time and place with an average coach surrounded by much less talent than Travis Deiner.  He was the only good thing going for MU during his tenure.  Not his issue in the slightest.

Yeah, Wojo tainted my views of Howard. Usage rate of 40% and assist to turnover ratio below one.

I would have loved seeing Marcus play in an offense that was moving the ball, and that wasn't relying on him to take bad shots to save possessions. I'm not saying he wasn't up to the challenge, I'm just saying it stinks that he had to carry every game.

panda

• All American
« Reply #224 on: September 22, 2023, 09:00:23 PM »
Lol at the idea that Markus did not make the team better.  Look at the roster his senior year.  The best players on the roster not named Markus Howard were Sacar Anim, Koby McEwen, and Brendan Bailey.  Those guys are mid major players.  Remove Markus from that team and they in maybe 3 conference games.  Instead they were an NCAA Tournament team had it not been canceled.

Agreed - he put in an all worldly season given the extreme lack of talent on that team along with a clueless coach.

feedback