[Today at 08:39:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by MuMark
[Today at 04:27:23 PM]

High school kids by MUbiz
[Today at 04:25:04 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by rocky_warrior
[Today at 03:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seth Davis latest on MU  (Read 4827 times)

MU82

• All American
Seth Davis latest on MU
« on: January 16, 2023, 08:50:49 AM »
In The Athletic today, Seth Davis picks Wednesday's game as one he's "psyched to see":

Providence at Marquette, Wednesday, 9 p.m., CBS Sports Network. The Friars finally lost their first Big East game at Creighton on Saturday. Their vaunted defense failed them as they allowed the Bluejays to shoot 48 percent and outscore them in the paint, 46-32. Marquette has a highly efficient offense, but it lacks interior size. That hurt the Golden Eagles on Sunday when they were out-rebounded 45-32 in an 80-76 loss at Xavier.

He also had this about Jop:

Finally, my CBS colleague Jon Rothstein may not have any hobbies, but he does have some really good ideas from time to time. One of them is the call for a national sixth man of the year award in college basketball. It’s odd that this award does not exist given that most conferences have one, as does the NBA. If it helps to get people excited about the idea, here’s a list of some of my top candidates to this point: Zakai Zeigler, Tennessee; David Singleton, UCLA; Donovan Clingan, UConn; Sir’Jabari Rice, Texas; David Joplin, Marquette; Jerome Hunter, Xavier. Any others?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: Seth Davis latest on MU
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 01:27:20 PM »
Jop? huh?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 01:46:07 PM »
Jop? huh?

I think as ardent fans we sometimes get too hung up on indiviual plays and don't always view the body of work like national guys do.  He's had some really bad plays, but Joplin has been really good as a whole.

10.2 and 3.4 in less than 20 MPG, 4th in scoring despite playing 10-12 min less than those above him.  His points per 40 min are actually leading the team and more than a point higher than Kam.  Rebounds per 40 min he's second on the team after Oso.  He's the team's best 3P shooter by percentage as well as the best FT shooter.  His TOs are bad and too high and need to be cleaned up, but as a 6th man to bring a scoring punch off the bench, he's been great.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 01:47:17 PM »
I think as ardent fans we sometimes get too hung up on indiviual plays and don't always view the body of work like national guys do.  He's had some really bad plays, but Joplin has been really good as a whole.

10.2 and 3.4 in less than 20 MPG, 4th in scoring despite playing 10-12 min less than those above him.  His points per 40 min are actually leading the team and more than a point higher than Kam.  Rebounds per 40 min he's second on the team after Oso.  He's the team's best 3P shooter by percentage as well as the best FT shooter.  His TOs are bad and too high and need to be cleaned up, but as a 6th man to bring a scoring punch off the bench, he's been great.

There just aren't a whole lot of double digit scorers off the bench across the country.

Joplin is a huge part of this teams success.  I just think he can be so much better.
VIOLENCE!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 01:48:25 PM »

Agree 100%. Joplin seems to be the guy who gets the brunt of the criticism, but I think he is dong an excellent job.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 01:54:09 PM »
Any fan that fails to see the value David Joplin brings to MU simply doesn’t know the game. He of course has plenty of room for improvement, especially defensively, but his ceiling is sky high.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 01:55:18 PM »

His offensive efforts are  fine. Defense is a wee bit of a problem though.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 02:24:03 PM »
What is the definition of a sixth-man?

Remember in 2011 when Buzz started Erik Williams ahead of Jae Crowder because Crowder tended to pick up a dumb foul early in the game? After three or four minutes, Crowder entered the game and played 30 to 35 minutes.

Crowder was BE POY in 2012

Would Crowder have qualified for national sixth-man of the year if it existed?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 02:26:26 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

panda

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 02:27:10 PM »

Remember in 2011 when Buzz started Erik Williams ahead of Jae Crowder because Crowder tended to pick up a dumb foul early in the game? After three or four minutes, Crowder entered the game and played 30 to 35 minutes.

The guy who gets less minutes than most starters, but more minutes than others on the bench.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 02:30:00 PM »

I think in the NBA, you have to come off the bench in more games than you start. At least that's what google states.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 02:32:28 PM »
I'm not seeing it with Jop yet. The potential is there but he's just not very reliable as of now. Looking forward to see if he can step up into a bigger role as season goes on.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2023, 02:41:18 PM »
I'm not seeing it with Jop yet. The potential is there but he's just not very reliable as of now. Looking forward to see if he can step up into a bigger role as season goes on.

He is pretty reliable though, that's why he plays so much.

He's good for about 10+ important points each game.  Marquette has defensive issues with or without him on the floor.

Against UConn late, it seemed as though Shaka went with Joplin late because Marquette couldn't defend the pick and roll anyways.  Might as well put his size and scoring on the floor to go punch for punch when the defense is absent anyways.  If the defense is rolling and we have a lead he likely won't be on the floor, but not everything goes as planned.
VIOLENCE!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2023, 02:53:35 PM »
He is pretty reliable though, that's why he plays so much.

He's good for about 10+ important points each game.  Marquette has defensive issues with or without him on the floor.

Against UConn late, it seemed as though Shaka went with Joplin late because Marquette couldn't defend the pick and roll anyways.  Might as well put his size and scoring on the floor to go punch for punch when the defense is absent anyways.  If the defense is rolling and we have a lead he likely won't be on the floor, but not everything goes as planned.

YEP.  He's scored under 8 points only twice in 12 games since Thanksgiving, and outside of the 2 game SH/Nova stretch, he's been efficient in scoring in pretty much all those games.  He's scored 21 against Purdue, 19 against Baylor, 18 against Providence, 10 against Creighton, and 11 on Sunday, so its not like he's vanishing in big games.

Nobody is saying he doesn't have room for growth, he really does.  And he has TONS of upside, but he's doing tons for this team as it is.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2023, 03:00:07 PM »
YEP.  He's scored under 8 points only twice in 12 games since Thanksgiving, and outside of the 2 game SH/Nova stretch, he's been efficient in scoring in pretty much all those games.  He's scored 21 against Purdue, 19 against Baylor, 18 against Providence, 10 against Creighton, and 11 on Sunday, so its not like he's vanishing in big games.

Nobody is saying he doesn't have room for growth, he really does.  And he has TONS of upside, but he's doing tons for this team as it is.

Agreed.  I am just critical of him at times because I think he has another level that he's capable of.

Like the old adage, 'If a coach isn't yelling at you then you should be concerned that they've lost you'.

If Scoop isn't critiquing you then you should be concerned that they've given up on you.
VIOLENCE!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 03:42:35 PM »
David Joplin is a big part of the success they had and is going to major contributor before he is done. No player has frustrated me as much, but the good Joplin is really good. Plus, I think he is a guy that wants to play in big games and have the ball in his hand.

Every time he frustrates me it is uncanny on how he turns it around in short order. If he improves his weaknesses and cleans up sloppy turnovers he is going score a lot of points in a MU uniform.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 05:19:25 PM »
Jop is a guy who is good but could be great if he works with the coach and learns from him. He has the physical attributes to go to another level. Lets see if he responds. He could be a future BE player of the year at some point. It is up to him.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2023, 05:26:28 PM »
All things considered, I thought Jop held up defensively against bigger players. Getting switched onto Boum was where I felt he struggled. He doesn't have the foot speed or lateral quickness to hang there, but he can be more than serviceable as a "three" in a 3 guard rotation.

He needs to take to the coaching like Kam did and play within himself

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 05:29:12 PM »
I think Joplin defends the post as well as OMax.   The big difference is in space. 

OMax, a couple of times recently, has gotten burned leaking out in transition and leaving Oso all alone under the boards.   Need to clean that up and secure the rebound first.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 05:31:25 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 05:31:52 PM »
Jop is a guy who is good but could be great if he works with the coach and learns from him. He has the physical attributes to go to another level. Lets see if he responds. He could be a future BE player of the year at some point. It is up to him.

I don’t agree with this. He’s not athletic enough.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2023, 05:32:11 PM »
Jop has a ton of upside.  If his decision making skill take the seem leap as Kam’s, he is going to a real handful for opponents.  He’s got a powerful build, too. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2023, 05:35:36 PM »
I am not sure Joplin will be great, but will be a scoring machine in this system. A year from now we should have a good idea on his ceiling. Fluff is right on his athletic upside and not sure that can be improved a great deal. Learning to really maximize his positive skills is probably the best idea.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2023, 05:39:34 PM »
I trust what I read in the game thread and have no doubt Joplin is terrible and should be barred physically from a basketball court by armed guards across the country
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2023, 05:44:30 PM »
I don’t agree with this. He’s not athletic enough.

Jae Crowder wasn't crazy athletic, Steve Novak wasn't either.  You can be great without elite athleticism.
VIOLENCE!

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2023, 06:05:33 PM »

Well said. Jop is a great player. Really like how quickly he plugs in when he's put in the game. His offense is so good that it overshadows his rebounding and defense. He has a great attitude, seems very coachable and should
Continue to grow as a Warrior.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2023, 06:09:35 PM »
Jae Crowder wasn't crazy athletic, Steve Novak wasn't either.  You can be great without elite athleticism.

Jae Crowder is way more athletic than David Joplin. And Steve Novak did one thing on an elite level. And wasn’t BEPOY.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback