[Today at 02:56:18 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:59:17 PM]

Media Rights Update by WhiteTrash
[Today at 12:32:13 PM]

Marquette Challenge announced by GoFastAndWin
[June 25, 2024, 10:25:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fun quotient  (Read 14705 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Fun quotient
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2023, 03:21:00 PM »
Wins are fun….no matter how they get there.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2023, 05:25:50 PM »

Someone should come up with a win fun theorem to decipher how fun each win really is.

Beating Nova in Philly is fun but maybe they’re not good and in fact, we hurt our seeding because we made their numbers worse

On a scale of 69-420, this win might just rate as a 187
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2023, 05:59:25 PM »
Someone should come up with a win fun theorem to decipher how fun each win really is.

Beating Nova in Philly is fun but maybe they’re not good and in fact, we hurt our seeding because we made their numbers worse

I'll work on a NET like formula & post about fun rate.
Goal is National Championship

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2023, 06:57:38 PM »

Complaining “how” a team won to get to the elite eight is beyond me. When we won that game…….now that was a lot of fun!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2023, 06:59:47 PM »
There were plenty of Wojo wins that were not fun.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2023, 07:23:42 PM »
No.  A win is a win.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2023, 07:48:01 PM »

They are good and beating anyone on the road is always fun.  Don’t overthink things.  Nova almost never loses on campus except when Shaka comes to town.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2023, 08:01:45 PM »
There were plenty of Wojo wins that were not fun.
Refresh my memory.

PointWarrior

• All American

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2023, 05:09:39 AM »
For me this is probably the most fun team/system/coaching dynamic since I started watching MUBB regularly in 86.

KO was fun to watch, but the basketball was pretty brutal.
Crean's teams with DWade, Diener, Jackson, etc were incredibly fun to watch, but the game coaching always kept me nervous unless they were up 20+.  Crean would lose 2-3 games per year with bad in game decisions and that really removed the fun factor for me. 
Brent's teams were good and fun but relying 100% on dysfunction as a leadership style has it's limits.
The previous coach took all the fun out of the game. 
This team is fabulously flawed and makes up for it with system, determination, coaching, energy, and all sorts of intangibles that make the whole much greater than the sum of the parts... for the first time probably since the Diener/DWade era.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2023, 05:20:58 AM »
For me this is probably the most fun team/system/coaching dynamic since I started watching MUBB regularly in 86.

KO was fun to watch, but the basketball was pretty brutal.
Crean's teams with DWade, Diener, Jackson, etc were incredibly fun to watch, but the game coaching always kept me nervous unless they were up 20+.  Crean would lose 2-3 games per year with bad in game decisions and that really removed the fun factor for me. 
Brent's teams were good and fun but relying 100% on dysfunction as a leadership style has it's limits.
The previous coach took all the fun out of the game. 
This team is fabulously flawed and makes up for it with system, determination, coaching, energy, and all sorts of intangibles that make the whole much greater than the sum of the parts... for the first time probably since the Diener/DWade era.

I love the bolded! You nailed it. The rest of your post is great, but to me, the bolded is the best part.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 06:34:21 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2023, 07:23:53 AM »
There are teams that win that aren't fun to watch. For neutrals, Wisconsin typically falls in that category. Many Virginia teams were that. Teams that turn games into root canals for the opponent, that don't have next level talent, that don't play exciting offense.

2013 was one such team. I loved the wins and the moments they provided, but it wasn't an aesthetically pleasing team nor a team fans outside our fanbase would make appointment television.

Joe McCann said it well to start this season. If you can't be good, at least be interesting. This year's team is both good and interesting. It has 2-3 NBA players. It's a great offensive team. Even in losses, they are always entertaining. Bully ball is fun for the bully, but not for the average viewer. That's why 2012 was more of a fun team than 2013. Both the 2009 & 2010 teams were also very fun. Totally different teams, but fun.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2023, 07:29:41 AM »
There are teams that win that aren't fun to watch. For neutrals, Wisconsin typically falls in that category. Many Virginia teams were that. Teams that turn games into root canals for the opponent, that don't have next level talent, that don't play exciting offense.

2013 was one such team. I loved the wins and the moments they provided, but it wasn't an aesthetically pleasing team nor a team fans outside our fanbase would make appointment television.

Joe McCann said it well to start this season. If you can't be good, at least be interesting. This year's team is both good and interesting. It has 2-3 NBA players. It's a great offensive team. Even in losses, they are always entertaining. Bully ball is fun for the bully, but not for the average viewer. That's why 2012 was more of a fun team than 2013. Both the 2009 & 2010 teams were also very fun. Totally different teams, but fun.

2013 Marquette was a great run.  Miracle minute against Davidson in a game where the offense was in quicksand and let the Wildcats dictate tempo.  Ended with the egg against Syracuse, 39 points and simply dumbfounded by the zone.

During the course of the season, they had an 82-49 loss to Florida, 49-47 loss to UWGB, 49-48 home win against G’Town and a 70-51 loss to Louisville.  Lots of root canals and a couple of whoopings
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2023, 08:33:42 AM »
I said years ago that I would be happy with any system that provided a real winning program, even it was Virginia or UW style. I still stand by that statement, but this is they style of play I had hoped would be the formula. Fun style of play is great, winning is better. Time will tell, but it sure looks like we may have a great style of play and winning on the national stage for years to come.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2023, 08:42:24 AM »
2013 team had 3 NBA players.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2023, 08:42:37 AM »
I love pressure defense.  I love forcing turnovers.  I love transition baskets.  I love guards with length.   I love timed cuts.   

I really enjoyed FGCU's  run a few years ago when they would be running pick and roll on the ball side with planned movement, picking, and cutting weakside.  I see elements of that with MU now, which helps explain all of the layups.   

Also see bits of Loyola under Moser, running action through the center.   

I love players who finish. around the basket with either hand.   Looking at you, OMax.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2023, 08:56:38 AM »
tower

The best part is I do not think we have seen anywhere near of what the defense will be down the road, hopefully yet this season w will. I love when Shaka says the defense is not yet where he wants it to be. TAMU said a year ago about Shaka building a culture and they are now 1.5 seasons into building that foundation. I think the defense will continue to improve and dunk city will be one of the calling cards of the program.

On a side note, if Mitchell can show 50% of what he showed offensively on Saturday, this team is going to be a tough out for anyone they are playing. If the opposing team needs to guard Mitchell closer, we are going to see a lot more looks in the paint.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2023, 09:00:39 AM »
I think next season, assuming the team stays essentially intact, that MU will be the bullies. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2023, 09:04:11 AM »
tower

The best part is I do not think we have seen anywhere near of what the defense will be down the road, hopefully yet this season w will. I love when Shaka says the defense is not yet where he wants it to be. TAMU said a year ago about Shaka building a culture and they are now 1.5 seasons into building that foundation. I think the defense will continue to improve and dunk city will be one of the calling cards of the program.

On a side note, if Mitchell can show 50% of what he showed offensively on Saturday, this team is going to be a tough out for anyone they are playing. If the opposing team needs to guard Mitchell closer, we are going to see a lot more looks in the paint.

As good as this team is already, the future is even brighter. Beautiful!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2023, 09:08:03 AM »
Snoop

I am going to enjoy this year, like I did last year, and think about the future in April. That said, I agree the future is very bright for the program. I appreciated every minute of last season because I believed it was the start of a successful program, this year the same holds true, only with a higher bar for success. Winning in the spring is the top priority, IMO. If that happens, the bar gets raise again next season.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 09:13:49 AM by Goose »

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2023, 09:12:48 AM »
Is it Tuesday yet?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2023, 09:36:34 AM »
2013 team had 3 NBA players.

Blue & Jamil got cups of coffee, Juan was the most successful but never played close to that here. This team has more NBA talent than 2013 did.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2023, 10:36:01 AM »
Here are a select few sprinkled over the Wojo seasons

62 - 57 over NJIT:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2014-11-24-marquette.html

75 - 71 over IUPUI in OT:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2015-11-16-marquette.html

86 - 83 over Eastern Illinois in OT: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2017-11-27-20-marquette.html

66 - 62 over Robert Morris:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2019-11-23-14-marquette.html
4-0…..to me a lot more fun than a loss to UNO. Now that was not fun.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2023, 10:46:29 AM »
Winning is winning, if you have a good/great program. Al's teams had a lot of wins that were not very entertaining, minus of a few defensive runs that changed the game. I was fine with that because they had an eccentric HC who was very entertaining to watch, a stacked team of talent and they won. Al's teams won ugly plenty of times, mostly by playing down to the competition.

I have fallen sucker to getting over jacked after a big win or writing off an ugly win, but it was because it was out desperation that the program had turned the corner. When we played Chicago State, which was not an entertaining win, I felt differently about the team/program than in previous years and the crappy win did not bother me. They looked to me to be a program on the rise and played an uninspired game. I hope that is the case. If so, the program is going in the right direction and not a one hit wonder.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2023, 10:51:44 AM »
Playing the 2nd and 3rd weekends of the tournament is fun.
Wisconsin and Virginia and their fan bases really seemed to enjoy it….even if others didn’t care for their style.

feedback