[June 28, 2024, 08:20:44 PM]

Media Rights Update by MUDPT
[June 28, 2024, 07:07:34 PM]

Kolek picked by Portland by avid1010
[June 28, 2024, 06:51:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by mugrad_89
[June 28, 2024, 01:00:19 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gameday Atmosphere  (Read 27496 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Gameday Atmosphere
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2021, 12:52:48 PM »
I love Travis but his two upperclassmen years were NIT appearances despite another NBA player on the team and his freshman year was an embarrassing exit. He was a great player but I do feel like some people put him on a weird pedestal because of one NCAA hero mode game.

It was more than that game.  He was a very good player who developed into an NBA draft pick. 

I agree that he shouldn't have his number retired and that he didn't bring us deep tourney runs unless Wade was a teammate, but he is better than any PG than we have had here since - including Dominic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2021, 01:03:41 PM »
Markus didn't win anything except a January game against #1. Travis's #34 and Crowder's #32 belong up there before Markus. Both were were great players who brought us conference titles and deep tourney runs.

That's like claiming Robert Horry is a significantly better player than guys like John Stockton, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2021, 01:11:37 PM »
Trent Dilfer was way better than Dan Marino.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2021, 01:20:03 PM »
That's like claiming Robert Horry is a significantly better player than guys like John Stockton, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, etc.

nice try, but Horry wasn't the alpha on any of his teams his teams, Markus was. And with him leading MU we won nothing (unless you want to count making it to the quarterfinals of the NIT and semifinals of one BET).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2021, 01:24:32 PM »
nice try, but Horry wasn't the alpha on any of his teams his teams, Markus was. And with him leading MU we won nothing (unless you want to count making it to the quarterfinals of the NIT and semifinals of one BET).

This is why I wouldn’t put Mike Trout into the Hall of Fame
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2021, 01:47:45 PM »

Markus didn't win anything except a January game against #1. Travis's #34 and Crowder's #32 belong up there before Markus. Both were were great players who brought us conference titles and deep tourney runs.

Travis is probably my favorite MU player of all-time, but I don't think I'd retire his number.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2021, 01:56:27 PM »
Cat might be out of the bag since I don’t know that they’d unretire a jersey, but feels like a Ring of Honor makes sense with jerseys being retired for set criteria (AA, BEPOY, etc.). Not sure what the criteria would be, but might avoid some of this. I think UNC does it that way.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2021, 02:01:47 PM »

the reason that went up is Crean told the guys he inherited from Deane that before they left they'd hang a banner, and they almost did if not for Steve Logan's coast to coast lay in to send the game against Memphis to OT which Cincy eventually won. Besides, winning the GAS that year was a turning point for the program. All of us up there just wanted to beat Tennessee so we avoided UAA, instead we won the whole damn thing.

Tom Crean, hero

TC never hung a banner for the 2005 GAS.  It was for the 2001 one.

Fluff, you've ruined a great story with truth & facts.  Damn.

Maybe I was thinking of the CBE banner where he listed the rankings of the teams when we played them.  If memory serves it was we beat #9 Duke.  Duke ended that season 22-11 overall, 8-8 in conf, they lost in first round of the ACCT and 1st round of the NCAAs (a 6 seed that lost to 11 seed VCU).  That right there is some of Tommy's best work.  Really it was his Picasso.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 02:06:45 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2021, 02:06:05 PM »
Tom Crean, hero

Fluff, you've ruined a great story with truth & facts.  Damn.

Maybe I was thinking of the CBE banner where he listed the rankings of the teams when we played them.

"Beat Duke"
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2021, 02:15:27 PM »
Four or five years ago, MU was selling that GAS banner at the Blue & Gold Banquet. I don't think it fetched much in the silent auction.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2021, 03:05:46 PM »
Markus should be retired. Jerel and Jae deserve some recognition.

No more retired numbers! None. We can't afford it.

Guys whose banners should be hanging in the rafters are:

Jim Chones
Jeral McNeal
Markus Howard
Sam Worthen
Jae Crowder
Jimmy Butler

I'd like to see Lloyd Walton's and Bob Lackey's number up there too, but that will never happen. In addition to the six I might add Big Mac's banner as well.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2021, 03:27:00 PM »
No more retired numbers! None. We can't afford it.

Guys whose banners should be hanging in the rafters are:

Jim Chones
Jeral McNeal
Markus Howard
Sam Worthen
Jae Crowder
Jimmy Butler

I'd like to see Lloyd Walton's and Bob Lackey's number up there too, but that will never happen. In addition to the six I might add Big Mac's banner as well.

Disagree about Jimmy. My personal opinions aside his poor D cost us that buzzer beater against Washington in 10, his SR year we were 11th in the BE, and he barely played on the 08-09 team. His NBA career is amazing but his MU career is highlighted by one 30pt game, shutting down Tu Holloway, and two clutch shots against average UConn & SJU teams.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2021, 03:28:41 PM »
Disagree about Jimmy. My personal opinions aside his poor D cost us that buzzer beater against Washington in 10, his SR year we were 11th in the BE, and he barely played on the 08-09 team. His NBA career is amazing but his MU career is highlighted by one 30pt game, shutting down Tu Holloway, and two clutch shots against average UConn & SJU teams.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2021, 03:31:06 PM »

I do agree that he shouldn't have his number retired, but I think you are downplaying the role he played on those Marquette teams.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2021, 03:55:40 PM »
Jimmy's highest accolades at Marquette were 2x All Big East Honorable Mention.  That's a pretty low bar to set if we're throwing his jersey up in the rafters.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2021, 06:39:20 PM »
South Florida and Rutgers were gone too, and Providence, Seton Hall, and St John's were down there with them and DePaul. Sure, the top was better, but the league quality night in and night out was better when Howard was there.

The Big East that Howard played in was better the Big East that had a team that tied for 9th in the conference (9-9) but went 23-0 in all other games? (The team they tied made the S16 that year). Sorry, Brew. Not close that year or most others.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2021, 07:57:40 PM »
How is student crowd tonight?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2021, 08:13:15 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2021, 10:25:05 PM »
How is student crowd tonight?
Excellent turnout.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2021, 10:53:24 PM »
Students were great; everything else was pretty disappointing.  I was expecting a lot more energy out of the crowd on a Friday. It was stale. 

It’s official, the entire Gameday script needs to be shredded and rewritten. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2021, 11:03:06 PM »
Damn - I must have missed that checkbox on the B&G Fund donation form that directs my funds to “Replace the crappy U2 intro song”

Maybe give $$$ for new songs costs $$$$ per song

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2021, 11:04:38 PM »
Damn - I must have missed that checkbox on the B&G Fund donation form that directs my funds to “Replace the crappy U2 intro song”
Just call and say I want to donate 100k for this 4-5 new song rights
Goal is National Championship

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2021, 11:14:41 PM »
Students were great; everything else was pretty disappointing.  I was expecting a lot more energy out of the crowd on a Friday. It was stale. 

It’s official, the entire Gameday script needs to be shredded and rewritten.
Close game late, normally the jumbotron flashes "make some noise". Odd that didn't happen.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2021, 11:17:08 PM »
It's hard for the crowd to get into a game against UNH
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2021, 12:04:14 AM »
It's hard for the crowd to get into a game against UNH

It was a Friday night at 7:30p.  Normally that crowd is well lit.