'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 02:15:27 AM]

Preseason Rankings: Big East vs. Atlantic 10 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:59:10 AM]

Tony Bennet is retiring from UVA by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[October 17, 2024, 11:00:19 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[October 17, 2024, 10:48:41 PM]

Who gets lapped by Elonsmusk
[October 17, 2024, 07:58:22 PM]

Ellenson and Lewis to NBA by JWags85
[October 17, 2024, 07:28:00 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Creighton Preview by Plaque Lives Matter!
[October 17, 2024, 01:47:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 505627 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #3650 on: October 01, 2024, 09:47:32 AM »
Gonzaga to PacX official.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #3651 on: October 01, 2024, 10:09:38 AM »
Gonzaga to PacX official.

ESPN on ticker yes Gonzaga set to move to Pac 12

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3652 on: October 01, 2024, 10:13:17 AM »
Big East should've done this when they welcomed UCONN back.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3653 on: October 01, 2024, 10:13:39 AM »

Probably but this is better for Gonzaga
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3654 on: October 01, 2024, 10:17:51 AM »
this may not be the last WCC defection.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3655 on: October 01, 2024, 10:19:37 AM »
I'm sure it was debated by the BE and by Gonzaga. It was always going to be problematic due to geography. This is a much better all around.

Also, UTEP is joining the MWC from CUSA. That means that each conference is still short membership. MWC needs a full member and the Pac 12 needs another football member (I think).  Will Hawaii jump to the P12 as a football only member to balance out Gonzaga?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3656 on: October 01, 2024, 10:32:59 AM »

I'm glad they didn't take a chance on post-Mark Few Gonzaga.  If they were closer, however, I wouldn't mind that chance.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 10:35:35 AM by TallTitan34 »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #3657 on: October 01, 2024, 11:05:36 AM »
Gonzaga waited until the PAC 12 lost all their good teams!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3658 on: October 01, 2024, 11:24:22 AM »
Gonzaga waited until the PAC 12 lost all their good teams!

The classic Pac-12 never wanted them, but the MWC did. This is a much better fit for GU geographically, especially with Wazzu and Boise State twice a year and no more sub 250 NET teams like Pacific, Portland, Pepperdine, etc.

I don't know how serious discussions with St. Mary's were; if they happened at all. Men's Hoops is strong but the rest of the department is underfunded, facilities are bad, and the school is losing enrollment. Better options to swipe from the WCC or Big West for hoops only (UCSB to get a LA presence).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 11:38:34 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3659 on: October 01, 2024, 12:26:47 PM »
I'd guess, but not positive, the BE could still get the Zags in the future.

DFW HOYA

• All American
« Reply #3660 on: October 01, 2024, 01:03:25 PM »
I'd guess, but not positive, the BE could still get the Zags in the future.

No need.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3661 on: October 01, 2024, 01:08:19 PM »
No need.

Too many bulldog mascots already?

DFW HOYA

• All American
« Reply #3662 on: October 01, 2024, 02:25:44 PM »

Too many bulldog mascots already?

The Big East sponsors 24 sports. The cost of travel and scheduling for the other 23 sports doesn't go away merely by adding a school  in Spokane, WA.

• All American
« Reply #3663 on: October 01, 2024, 02:41:02 PM »
The Big East sponsors 24 sports. The cost of travel and scheduling for the other 23 sports doesn't go away merely by adding a school  in Spokane, WA.

This isn't entirely accurate. First, they sponsor 20 sports (10 for each gender), but a bunch of these have both genders travel and compete together (outdoor track, indoor track, cross country, swimming) And a bunch also don't require head to head conference match-ups but a one-time conference tournament. (some of the aforementioned sports plus golf.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3664 on: October 01, 2024, 03:52:39 PM »

Nor does the cost of travel and scheduling for schools in NJ for the various other sports go away by adding schools from LA.

Sitting back and being reactive is how you get left behind in today's day and age of constant conference realignment.  If the BE gets a chance to strengthen it's basketball profile, it absolutely should.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3665 on: October 01, 2024, 04:02:03 PM »
Nor does the cost of travel and scheduling for schools in NJ for the various other sports go away by adding schools from LA.

Sitting back and being reactive is how you get left behind in today's day and age of constant conference realignment.  If the BE gets a chance to strengthen it's basketball profile, it absolutely should.

I am curious as to how his would play out. Your thoughts?

The PAC12/Gonzaga deal makes the bball landscape interesting. A "one-off", the first shoe to drop, or somewhere in between?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3666 on: October 01, 2024, 04:06:57 PM »
I am curious as to how his would play out. Your thoughts?

The PAC12/Gonzaga deal makes the bball landscape interesting. A "one-off", the first shoe to drop, or somewhere in between?

I would think more of a 1 off.  The PAC12 is trying to stay alive as a mid major.  I guess the ACC could do something similar when they eventually get picked off by the SEC/B1G/B12, but I would guess there won't be a ton of conferences taking only a school's basketball team in it's conference.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3667 on: October 01, 2024, 05:15:28 PM »
I would think more of a 1 off.  The PAC12 is trying to stay alive as a mid major.  I guess the ACC could do something similar when they eventually get picked off by the SEC/B1G/B12, but I would guess there won't be a ton of conferences taking only a school's basketball team in it's conference.

I think and hope that you are right. While the first post-old BE conference shakeup happened, I confess that I was among the people laughing off the FB conference struggles and smugly believed that the BE was immune from being poached. Now? I'm not laughing anymore. I'm nervous.

Is it possible that we would gain valuable new members? Sure. But, as much as I hate to admit it, I think we would more likely be the losers.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

DFW HOYA

• All American
« Reply #3668 on: October 01, 2024, 06:12:54 PM »

Except that the State University of New Jersey will get approximately 10x more TV revenues than they would get in the Big East to send those teams to LA, Eugene, Seattle, etc.

I suspect the Big East has decided that 11 (or 10) will carry them to the next round of musical chairs when the ACC goes through the sausage grinder. Overexpansion certainly hurt the Big East in the past.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3669 on: October 02, 2024, 05:59:24 AM »
Sounds like UConn is passing on football only membership in the Pac-? at this time.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #3670 on: October 03, 2024, 01:48:51 PM »
Adding UConn as a football-only member would make zero sense for the Pac 12. I'll believe it when I see it.

Like the Big 12 "considering" UConn as a full member, this feels more like wish-casting from UConn's athletics department. Football is holding them back from joining a Power 3 conference and they're desperately trying to convince us their football program is valuable. It isn't. It's one of the absolute worst in the country, an albatross.

• All American
« Reply #3671 on: October 15, 2024, 08:24:13 AM »
Hawaii is rejoining the MWC as a full member. They have been a football-only member since 2012 with the rest of their sports parked in the Big West. They leveraged a concession that they do not have to subsidize travel costs for other schools, which is why they left full MWC membership in the first place.

So the MWC is up to 8 full members with the additions of Hawaii and UTEP - the minimum requirement.

The Pac-12 has 7, and Gonzaga as a non-football member - it still needs one more.  Apparently it is now talking with potential media partners to produce $$$ estimates for the likes of Memphis, Tulane and UTSA to consider.  New Mexico State is apparently their option of last resort.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2024, 08:29:25 AM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3672 on: October 15, 2024, 08:38:05 AM »
Hawaii is rejoining the MWC as a full member. They have been a football-only member since 2012 with the rest of their sports parked in the Big West. They leveraged a concession that they do not have to subsidize travel costs for other schools, which is why they left full MWC membership in the first place.

So the MWC is up to 8 full members with the additions of Hawaii and UTEP - the minimum requirement.

The Pac-12 has 7, and Gonzaga as a non-football member - it still needs one more.  Apparently it is now talking with potential media partners to produce $$$ estimates for the likes of Memphis, Tulane and UTSA to consider.  New Mexico State is apparently their option of last resort.
Like many New Mexico high school seniors.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #3673 on: October 15, 2024, 10:00:30 AM »
So, the PAC X secured an auto bid for the NCAAT with the addition of Gonzaga.