[Today at 06:05:27 PM]

Shaka interview by Skatastrophy
[Today at 05:01:17 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[Today at 12:31:28 PM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[Today at 08:52:59 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 469947 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #3550 on: September 06, 2024, 02:20:52 PM »
Yormack seems to think the basketball side of things is undervalued, but it seems to me that this would be pretty easy to lay out in black and white if that were the case.

In addition, i think he wants a Northeast team so the conference covers a bigger geographical spread.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3551 on: September 06, 2024, 03:55:05 PM »
Excellent Article on SMU and Billionaire Backers funding their programs

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41136586/smu-football-acc-death-penalty-return-2024
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3552 on: September 06, 2024, 04:17:21 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41136586/smu-football-acc-death-penalty-return-2024

"It's a couple hundred million dollars," Miller told Yahoo. "I'm not losing sleep over it."

SMU (and TCU?) may end up making the cut during further consolidation. Maybe not, but I don't know if I would bet against it.

DFW HOYA

• All American
« Reply #3553 on: September 06, 2024, 05:57:53 PM »

Much is made about these executives' giving; yet, SMU has never reached significant academic status. It likes to think of itself as a peer to Duke and Vanderbilt, but it is closer to Tulane and Syracuse.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3554 on: September 06, 2024, 06:55:19 PM »
Much is made about these executives' giving; yet, SMU has never reached significant academic status. It likes to think of itself as a peer to Duke and Vanderbilt, but it is closer to Tulane and Syracuse.

😂😂😂
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #3555 on: September 12, 2024, 01:53:55 AM »
Board of Directors unanimously approved the applications of Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State and Fresno State to join the PAC 12 conference. 

Play for new members in conference begins in 2026-2027 academic year.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 01:56:17 AM by MarquetteMike1977 »

• All American
« Reply #3556 on: September 12, 2024, 03:07:08 AM »
Board of Directors unanimously approved the applications of Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State and Fresno State to join the PAC 12 conference. 

And will look to add more members before that time to get to at least 8.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3557 on: September 12, 2024, 06:08:17 AM »

The Conference of Champions.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• All American
« Reply #3558 on: September 12, 2024, 07:34:12 AM »
And will look to add more members before that time to get to at least 8.

And I would be surprised if UNLV isn't in that mix.

I also think this is where Gonzaga ends up as a non-football member.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3559 on: September 12, 2024, 07:41:00 AM »
I'll be rooting for the "new" P12. Good for them. They will never be more than a G5 conference, but I like the punkiness.
(at least until WSU and OSU get an invite to the ACC and bail on their new conference members  ;))

• All American
« Reply #3560 on: September 12, 2024, 07:43:42 AM »
When the top schools are stripped off of the ACC, this conference will be just as good.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3561 on: September 12, 2024, 08:30:21 AM »
When the top schools are stripped off of the ACC, this conference will be just as good.
Both top G5 conferences.

It will be interesting to see how they fill out the P12. Curious why only a few MWC schools now. Are they looking to the AAC? Memphis? Tulane? It will be fun to watch.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3562 on: September 12, 2024, 09:09:05 AM »
And I would be surprised if UNLV isn't in that mix.

I also think this is where Gonzaga ends up as a non-football member.

Gonzaga, yes, but if UNLV were going to be in the mix they would have been included. Now that Vegas is a year round pro-sports town hoops isn't drawing as well anymore and football is lucky to have the stadium 1/3 full.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #3563 on: September 12, 2024, 09:15:44 AM »
Gonzaga, yes, but if UNLV were going to be in the mix they would have been included. Now that Vegas is a year round pro-sports town hoops isn't drawing as well anymore and football is lucky to have the stadium 1/3 full.

Yeah, I thought of that. Also wonder if there are governance issues with the university in Reno as well.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3564 on: September 12, 2024, 09:33:45 AM »

That was my thought, if they wanted other MWC schools they would add them now. UTSA, Memphis, and Tulane seem like they'd be front-runners. I wonder how they'll factor geography into this, if at all. I could see someone like James Madison or App State if those factors don't matter.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3565 on: September 12, 2024, 09:49:35 AM »
That was my thought, if they wanted other MWC schools they would add them now. UTSA, Memphis, and Tulane seem like they'd be front-runners. I wonder how they'll factor geography into this, if at all. I could see someone like James Madison or App State if those factors don't matter.

I know geography doesn’t matter anymore but I wonder if they’d be better served embracing their west coast roots and being the late night window for hoops and football.  There’s a market for that.  Not big, but definitely a market
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #3566 on: September 12, 2024, 09:57:51 AM »
And I just don't know if Memphis or Tulane would leave their central time zone slots to play out west. I guess if the money is better, but it would need to be substantially better. Right now the AAC pays out better than the MWC. Is this version of the Pac 12 going to trump that?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #3567 on: September 12, 2024, 09:58:43 AM »
UTSA is a top pick for OSU & WSU. Memphis doesn't want the Pac-12.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3568 on: September 12, 2024, 10:48:45 AM »
UTSA is a top pick for OSU & WSU. Memphis doesn't want the Pac-12.

100%. Also, if UTSA is invited I've heard Rice and Tulane for the academic piece to try and attract Cal and Stanford back.

What will be interesting now is if the MWC makes a push to get Montana and Montana State to make the move to FBS or if North Dakota State now shows more interest in moving up, since one of the reasons stated before is they didn't have a good conference to move to.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #3569 on: September 12, 2024, 10:52:49 AM »
100%. Also, if UTSA is invited I've heard Rice and Tulane for the academic piece to try and attract Cal and Stanford back.

What will be interesting now is if the MWC makes a push to get Montana and Montana State to make the move to FBS or if North Dakota State now shows more interest in moving up, since one of the reasons stated before is they didn't have a good conference to move to.
Cal and Stanford are not leaving a "power 4" leave for what will be a grup of 6 league in terms of voting powers and playoff.

Rice is not happening.

NDST & SDST might be a thing for the MWC. $5M to enter can be helped by the MWC for the bill with the 4 schools leaving.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

• All American
« Reply #3570 on: September 12, 2024, 10:59:29 AM »

I think the MWC would have two options - try to get some of the Dakota schools, and maybe the Montana schools, to jump to the FBS level as you said.

And/or get some of the FBS schools from the CUSA or Sun Belt - Texas State, Sam Houston, UTEP.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3571 on: September 12, 2024, 11:08:22 AM »
Pac 12 trying to salvage their brand name, and most importantly the investment they have in Pac-12 Network. Don't understand the logic of not taking in all the Mountain West Members, I guess the way the math worked out, it was better to poach than merge.

This writer thinks the deal did not make much sense:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2024/09/12/pac-12-poaching-mountain-west-pointless/75189074007/

Some commentary in this article on the dollars involved:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2024/09/12/pac-12-adding-boise-state-san-diego-state-fresno-state-colorado-state/75186340007/

According to this article the exit fees are almost $20 million per school and $43 million poaching fee. Pac 12 has $265 Million War Chest. Don't know the rest of the equation, what annual payouts are etc. to get to the math that makes poaching more feasible than merger
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3572 on: September 12, 2024, 11:39:51 AM »
Cal and Stanford are not leaving a "power 4" leave for what will be a grup of 6 league in terms of voting powers and playoff.

It's too bad that Cal and Stanford jumped ship when they did, because this (see below) would easily be a top 6 hoops conference and roughly comparable to the ACC in football, with at least some semblance of geographical unity:

Cal
Stanford
Washington St
Oregon St
Boise St
Colorado St
Fresno St
SDSU
SMU
Tulane

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3573 on: September 12, 2024, 12:15:14 PM »
Going to be funny if the Pac gets a better TV deal than the ACC.

• All American
« Reply #3574 on: September 12, 2024, 12:17:10 PM »
Pac 12 trying to salvage their brand name, and most importantly the investment they have in Pac-12 Network. Don't understand the logic of not taking in all the Mountain West Members, I guess the way the math worked out, it was better to poach than merge.

This writer thinks the deal did not make much sense:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2024/09/12/pac-12-poaching-mountain-west-pointless/75189074007/

Some commentary in this article on the dollars involved:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2024/09/12/pac-12-adding-boise-state-san-diego-state-fresno-state-colorado-state/75186340007/

According to this article the exit fees are almost $20 million per school and $43 million poaching fee. Pac 12 has $265 Million War Chest. Don't know the rest of the equation, what annual payouts are etc. to get to the math that makes poaching more feasible than merger

Yeah, they didn't merge because you now don't have to share with Utah State and Hawaii.

And that Wolken article is terrible. What else were OSU and WSU supposed to do?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 12:39:02 PM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole »

feedback