[Today at 06:44:09 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 03:08:45 PM]

Oso Article by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:31:08 AM]

More conference realignment talk by WhiteTrash
[June 21, 2024, 09:02:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka Smart Presser 2pm: LINK  (Read 34454 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Shaka Smart Presser 2pm: LINK
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2021, 04:17:52 PM »
I'm catching up on the presser between meetings.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm excited about getting back to a deflection-oriented defense.

I think there were more measurable stats in this press conference than all 7 years of Wojos.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2021, 04:20:02 PM »
He is a print/social media guy.  His work has been fine.  You must miss Mike Hunt and Tom Enlund.

Very proud of Scoop for showing restraint at this mention.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2021, 04:20:25 PM »
Did Shaka imply that his mother went to UW?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2021, 04:22:32 PM »
Well, Wojo he ain't.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2021, 04:23:55 PM »
Did Shaka imply that his mother went to UW?

Yes.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2021, 04:24:16 PM »
A couple of things that stood out to me.  Please don't take these as criticisms because they aren't.  I love the hire, and ecstatic to have Shaka on board.

1.  If you don't know who really runs Marquette athletics, now you do.  Name dropping is very important.  Scholl made the hire, but the only person that truly matters has a PHD in basketball. 

2.  Shaka did have some PR chops there playing with some non-answers, but I think he did a great job toeing the line on it.  He is obviously more genuine and refined than our previous coach was.

3.  I appreciate that the QA didn't seem to have limits... including the 7 years ago question.  I'm glad that question was asked today instead of being in the back of a lot of reporter's minds for years. 

4. Overall, if you're not impressed with Shaka Smart, you probably will never be happy as a Marquette fan.
I agree... I thought he showed great media savvy in that he avoided totally answering questions he didn't want to or couldn't (i.e.: recruiting which coaches can't/shouldn't comment on until they are signed).  Yet he still answered everything some and didn't avoid any questions completely.  He said he didn't come 7 years ago because he felt it wasn't the right time due to the loyalty he felt to some of his VCU players at the time... good answer. 

I liked how he also downplayed the questions on race and sex saying they are relevant but winning and making good decisions to help the team win are the most important things for the team and the fans. 

He's off to a great start. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2021, 04:26:15 PM »
I wish him success.  Based on his past he should represent Marquette well.

Amal Sh00k Up

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »
We have a great leader here and a very bright future.  We'll undoubtedly have some bumps but the trajectory of today versus the past 7 years is noticeably better.  Cautiously optimistic on the retention of the three main guys and recruitment to an actual system and philosophy should make us much tougher and more attractive to recruits.  Great hire.  Go Marquette!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2021, 04:28:01 PM »
Shaka was very smooth, he was comfortable speaking publicly -- far more than, say, Lovell -- and his enthusiasm was evident. He came across as competent and intelligent, which he is.

He knew to throw out meat to the hungry masses with the many references to MU's past successes, while also focusing on what needs to get done in the present. He was careful not to state any specific goals, but let us know that getting to the Final Four is important and attainable. I thought it was significant (and smart) that he mentioned DJ, DG and JL by name, clearly letting them know that they will be prominent contributors to his program if they choose to stay. Questions about race and gender are never easy, and he answered those about as well as he could have.

Press conferences rarely "matter," and people who are comfortable in front of audiences always come out looking great, but the first one does give everybody a little sense of the person.

One would have to be Barney Buzzkill to have watched that and to not believe it was a successful introduction of Shaka to "Marquette Nation" (we have a nation?), and to not be pretty darn excited about what can be for our heroes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2021, 04:30:40 PM »
Shaka was very smooth, he was comfortable speaking publicly -- far more than, say, Lovell -- and his enthusiasm was evident. He came across as competent and intelligent, which he is.

He knew to throw out meat to the hungry masses with the many references to MU's past successes, while also focusing on what needs to get done in the present. He was careful not to state any specific goals, but let us know that getting to the Final Four is important and attainable. I thought it was significant (and smart) that he mentioned DJ, DG and JL by name, clearly letting them know that they will be prominent contributors to his program if they choose to stay. Questions about race and gender are never easy, and he answered those about as well as he could have.

Press conferences rarely "matter," and people who are comfortable in front of audiences always come out looking great, but the first one does give everybody a little sense of the person.

One would have to be Barney Buzzkill to have watched that and to not believe it was a successful introduction of Shaka to "Marquette Nation" (we have a nation?), and to not be pretty darn excited about what can be for our heroes.

Uh....yes.  Lovell did not look comfortable at all, even reading.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2021, 04:31:10 PM »
I just finished watching.
He had good answers for everything. 

Why leave Texas?  Along the lines of "Going forward, Marquette is the simply best fit for my family." 
7 Years ago - Along the lines "Didn't feel like the right time to move and loyalty to players."

Welcome Shaka!

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2021, 04:32:12 PM »
Shaka said one of his goals was to hang banners. I’m too lazy to research and confirm, but wonder if he was a part of the infamous “Finished the Season #6” banner at VCU.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2021, 04:33:17 PM »
Shaka said one of his goals was to hang banners. I’m too lazy to research and confirm, but wonder if he was a part of the infamous “Finished the Season #6” banner at VCU.

He's gonna haul out the Great Alaska Shootout banner out of mothballs isn't he...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2021, 04:33:23 PM »
Great presser.

A big takeaway for me is his desire to retain the Big 3 and also to reel Travis back on the staff. Time will tell.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2021, 04:33:36 PM »

Hearing him mention their names I felt like, in Shaka's mind, he already knows and envisions what he needs to do and practice with them for them to excel on the court.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2021, 04:41:18 PM »
This was crystal clear.

On the whole, I love the hire but I'm not a big hype guy so I thought the presser was about what it should've been i.e. it confirmed that this was the right decision.

One disappointing thing is that he had plenty of opportunity to call out that Marquette has "top 10" level talent on the team and didn't do it......he may be out of touch.

Is this supposed to be teal and you forgot?
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2021, 04:46:21 PM »
Is this supposed to be teal and you forgot?
Very teal. Referencing another thread where someone is setting themselves up to be furiously disappointed in Shaka next year because they think we have talent to be a top 10 team

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2021, 04:49:35 PM »
Wojo was never the answer to my prayers. Far from it
There wasn’t a single time I listened to Wojo and got excited including his intro presser
No Finish Line

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2021, 04:56:47 PM »
Here's more from a separate virtual presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50fL_xD8paU

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2021, 05:09:19 PM »
Very teal. Referencing another thread where someone is setting themselves up to be furiously disappointed in Shaka next year because they think we have talent to be a top 10 team
Nah I wont be disappointed. I would rather be optimistic than negative. I believe there was talent on the team this year and the problem was the coach. I think a top 25 team is realistic If everything falls in place. Sometimes it doesn't take much to make a big jump, but we will see.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2021, 05:10:41 PM »
There wasn’t a single time I listened to Wojo and got excited including his intro presser

Were you pleased with Shaka?  I thought he was particularly impressive with the Q&A?  Very thoughtful guy and in a noticeably genuine way.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2021, 05:11:13 PM »
I do have one very minor criticism regarding the MU beat writer.  Maybe it's me but I haven't been particularly impressed with his abilities.  And while it's fine if wants to wear a mask while social distancing inside, then he needs to speak up and have some conviction and or inflection in his voice.  Personally, I think we can do much better and actually have in recent years.  I know it's no biggie but believe we can step our game up on this front.  He also appeared crazy nervous to me.

I'm almost 100% certain that Steele doesn't "want" to wear a mask. He does it out of respect to others.

Steele has been excellent since he took the post.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 29, 2021, 05:11:50 PM »
Shaka's a very impressive young man. can't wait for the season to begin. I remember Wojo's first couple years when the camera would drop in on him during timeouts and he literally barked at the players inaudibly. I replayed them to try to understand him. Never could. Its hard to understand "dog."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2021, 05:13:48 PM »
Here's more from a separate virtual presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50fL_xD8paU

Lol. Press on from his past jobs. That says a lot. It also says this was a national hire.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2021, 05:15:03 PM »

Very impressed with your snark. Teal wasn't necessary.

As someone whose 1st choice was not Shaka, I have to say I was impressed today. Good things are coming for our program.