[Today at 09:38:19 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by MU_Beav
[Today at 09:28:53 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 09:24:53 AM]

my site phantom wallet login by 4everwarriors
[Today at 09:11:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Plan B  (Read 15471 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Plan B
« on: March 25, 2021, 10:41:09 AM »
It appears as if Porter Moser is Plan A and has a lot of popular support. Including endorsements from many on this Message Board  8-)

What happens if Loyola makes another Final Four run, Porter has a change of heart, and decides he doesn't want to leave Loyola after all. Or Notre Dame fires Brey and suddenly that job is open?

Who is our Best Plan B?

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Plan B
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 10:42:18 AM »
Give me Gates please in that scenario

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 10:48:03 AM »
isn't this the 'rank your candidates' thread but with contraception?

For me its:
- condom
- the pill
- vasectomy
- plan B

- abstinence
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 10:50:28 AM by naginiF »

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 10:50:21 AM »
Or if Indiana makes a run at Moser.

Nothing is certain until the contract is signed and the house purchased.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 10:53:39 AM »
It appears as if Porter Moser is Plan A and has a lot of popular support. Including endorsements from many on this Message Board  8-)

What happens if Loyola makes another Final Four run, Porter has a change of heart, and decides he doesn't want to leave Loyola after all. Or Notre Dame fires Brey and suddenly that job is open?

Who is our Best Plan B?

Not to worry. Marquette is Moser's muse.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 10:55:08 AM »
BF'ed at dat point, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 10:59:25 AM »
I would guess Shaka, Gates, or Smith based on some posts here. There’s a real chance Shaka isn’t coaching Texas next year even if we hire Moser.

If Gates goes to DePaul and Smith to Utah, I’d be pretty worried. But I don’t think we get to that point. It doesn’t seem either are the top candidate.

Also, I feel Moser is only going to leave for MU. It’s close to Chicago and he’s lived in Milwaukee before. I think coaching at a school that meant so much to Majerus is key too.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 11:07:27 AM »
Give me Gates please in that scenario

Same.

Honestly, I think either one would be great.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 11:45:35 AM »
Crapshoot, aina?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 11:52:52 AM »
There are many strong, successful and experienced coaches that would be available after Moser (and, for sake of discussion, Gates, Smart, Smith). 

I am going to go with a hot-take, but I am predicting the next head coach a wild card/left field candidate.  Someone we don't know about yet.  Perhaps a P6 head coach that feels he has capped out at his current stop.  Just a hunch, no inside knowledge.  Right now, it could very well be Moser.  Wouldn't be shocked if the search pivots after the weekend, if necessary. 

The silence is a great thing.  Having a competant AD and President in 2021 has already made this search much more efficient, professional and organized. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 12:04:27 PM »
There are many strong, successful and experienced coaches that would be available after Moser (and, for sake of discussion, Gates, Smart, Smith). 

I am going to go with a hot-take, but I am predicting the next head coach a wild card/left field candidate.  Someone we don't know about yet.  Perhaps a P6 head coach that feels he has capped out at his current stop.  Just a hunch, no inside knowledge.  Right now, it could very well be Moser.  Wouldn't be shocked if the search pivots after the weekend, if necessary. 

The silence is a great thing.  Having a competant AD and President in 2021 has already made this search much more efficient, professional and organized.

Scholl: Where do we find the money as the rich donors are tapped out.
Lovell: Cracked Sidewalks, Paint Touches and Anonymous Eagle; they got us into this mess!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 12:10:51 PM »
Scholl: Where do we find the money as the rich donors are tapped out.
Lovell: Cracked Sidewalks, Paint Touches and Anonymous Eagle; they got us into this mess!

;D

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 12:19:54 PM »
If Gates and Smith really have already interviewed than there’s your Plan b and c.  I don’t think mu is going be Shakas safety net.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 12:22:05 PM »
Not as excited about Moser as the rest of this Board apparently is. Moser is the flavor of the day and while he has done well in the MVC, a steady died of Jay Wright and the Big East is something totally different than winning twice against MVC caliber teams.

I know only what I read but of the mentioned candidates to date, I really like Gates. Has shown he can both recruit on our level and can coach. I’m a believer on him. There are others as good but Gates hits the right buttons for us to be good.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 12:24:08 PM »
Gary Waters had almost the same record at csu as Gates by year 2.  I like him but I don’t like the odds of that gamble, though it could pay off big.

burger

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »
I am about 85% sure that if even tries to "buy" Moser at $3+......He would stay away from that dumpster fire.....(he is not Crean.....and we all see what has happened to the last 2 Indiana "buys")

It is a sure fire place where coaches go to die.....

He likes "happy" and if he wants to leave......

He would be looking for the "right" fit.....

Indiana checks no boxes that I believe Moser would value.....

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2021, 12:34:21 PM »
Not as excited about Moser as the rest of this Board apparently is. Moser is the flavor of the day and while he has done well in the MVC, a steady died of Jay Wright and the Big East is something totally different than winning twice against MVC caliber teams.

I know only what I read but of the mentioned candidates to date, I really like Gates. Has shown he can both recruit on our level and can coach. I’m a believer on him. There are others as good but Gates hits the right buttons for us to be good.

Excellent points.  What would you say about hiring an America East head coach from Hofstra?  Had three straight losing seasons.  Finished below 7th twice, and only came in first place twice.  Zero NCAAT wins.  Do you think he would be able to compete in the Big East?  Different animal entirely. 

BTW, that coach was Jay Wright before getting hired at Villanova. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 12:37:39 PM »
Excellent points.  What would you say about hiring an America East head coach from Hofstra?  Had three straight losing seasons.  Finished below 7th twice, and only came in first place twice.  Zero NCAAT wins.  Do you think he would be able to compete in the Big East?  Different animal entirely. 

Then that would make Porter’s record look like John Wooden compared to Jay Wright.  Can it convert, no one knows.  But if someone can win in the tourney against p6 competition and go to a f4 and s16 at Loyola, come on now that’s impressive

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 12:51:03 PM »

The difference being that Jay Wright took over a worse program and had a steady upward trajectory for 7 straight seasons. Moser took over a better (but not good) program and has ultimately has ended up going way up...but it was up, down, up down, up down, to get there. He belongs in the conversation, but that inconsistency makes me nervous.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 01:09:50 PM »
The difference being that Jay Wright took over a worse program and had a steady upward trajectory for 7 straight seasons. Moser took over a better (but not good) program and has ultimately has ended up going way up...but it was up, down, up down, up down, to get there. He belongs in the conversation, but that inconsistency makes me nervous.

I have zero concerns about Moser's tenure at Loyola.  In is undeniable that he has elevated Loyola into a high-major basketball program (when it was mid-major when he started).  Last four years have had 1st or 2nd place finishes, a Final Four and (at least) a Sweet 16 to boot.  We can criticize earlier years at Loyola all we want, but then we should be critical of Gates' first year (11-21), Shaka's second year at Texas (11-22), etc.  IMO, those all cancel each other out, resume wise.  Moser has taken the least and made it, consistently, the best. 

What I would say is an absolute knock against Moser is not his tenure at Loyola, but rather his tenure at ISU.  He was fine at UA-Little Rock.  He was not good at ISU.  Jankovich, his successor, did more in his four years than Moser did in his.  That, to me, is the fascinating "mark" on his resume.  Would enjoy hearing him speak on his experiences there, how it shaped him as a head coach, and what let him to change at SLU and Loyola. 

Ultimately, I would like a coach that has won at multiple places.  Moser won at UA-Little Rock and Loyola; he did not win at Illinois State.  I think perhaps that is why he spoke so highly of Majerus, as perhaps it was him who really helped transformed him as a head coach and allowed him to be better.  That, among many other reasons, is why I think it would be a great story for Moser to be the guy.  It would be full circle. 

We will see though.  I agree with the knocks on ISU tenure, I don't have any knocks on his Loyola tenure. 

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 01:14:40 PM »
BF'ed at dat point, aina?

Just go away.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »
I have zero concerns about Moser's tenure at Loyola.  In is undeniable that he has elevated Loyola into a high-major basketball program (when it was mid-major when he started). 

This is ridiculous. Gonzaga operates like a high major, but they are not one. Loyola neither operates nor is a high major. Success doesn't change your league affiliation and they aren't recruiting or getting national attention regularly like a high major. After their last Final Four run, they became sub-100 for 2 years. Against top-100 non-con competition, they went 1-9 between NCAA Tournament appearances. They're nothing like a high major.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 01:24:14 PM »
This is ridiculous. Gonzaga operates like a high major, but they are not one. Loyola neither operates nor is a high major. Success doesn't change your league affiliation and they aren't recruiting or getting national attention regularly like a high major. After their last Final Four run, they became sub-100 for 2 years. Against top-100 non-con competition, they went 1-9 between NCAA Tournament appearances. They're nothing like a high major.

Agree. Loyola has had incredible success given their league affiliation, but they are still a mid-major program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2021, 01:29:54 PM »
We can criticize earlier years at Loyola all we want,

I'm not that worried about his early years at Loyola. I'm worried about the two before this one. He raised expectations with his Final Four run and the next two years were farts. Yes, yes, they finished top two in the MVC. That tells me more about the MVC those years than it does about Loyola.

He's back now and better than the Final Four year. That earns him a spot in the conversation. But the two year stumble between great seasons is concerning to me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 01:31:23 PM »

Couldn't agree more, I have that same sense. Wojo at the time wasn't on anyone's radar but was well received once announced.

feedback