[Today at 11:01:28 AM]

NM by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 10:39:52 AM]

Kolek to go undrafted? by 4everwarriors
[Today at 09:38:19 AM]

my site phantom wallet login by 4everwarriors
[Today at 09:11:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Carton, Justin Lewis, Dawson Garcia: How many transfer?  (Read 28033 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: DJ Carton, Justin Lewis, Dawson Garcia: How many transfer?
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2021, 02:29:03 PM »
I agree with your overall point.  If the AD feels the coach is not capable of sustained success with a 2+mill salary and a storied program you take the immediate short-term hit.  That said it doesn't sound like there is a home-run hire for MU.  Of course no one saw Chris Beard coming.  I'm wondering if we would go after the Drake or Winthrop coach?  Or perhaps Moser at Loyola-Chi?  Do you think there's a prime-time candidate to lead the Warrios back to dominance?  Or even Buzz level?
Our best bet is for some team to hire Wojo away. The school can than hire the best available candidate.

Drag a $2 million salary and a storied program through the coaching carousel and you don’t know what you will find......
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2021, 02:40:32 PM »
I agree with your overall point.  If the AD feels the coach is not capable of sustained success with a 2+mill salary and a storied program you take the immediate short-term hit.  That said it doesn't sound like there is a home-run hire for MU.  Of course no one saw Chris Beard coming.  I'm wondering if we would go after the Drake or Winthrop coach?  Or perhaps Moser at Loyola-Chi?  Do you think there's a prime-time candidate to lead the Warrios back to dominance?  Or even Buzz level?

Both Kelsey at Winthrop and DeVries at Drake were assistants at current BE Jesuit institutions - Xavier and Creighton respectively.  Moser of course is at a Jesuit school at Loyola.

I think all three would view Marquette as a solid step up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2021, 02:59:18 PM »
Moser is my #1 choice.  He's been a player, assistant and head coach at Jesuit schools so that box is checked.

Been around the block a few times, has won, has lost and yet he's only 52.  What really get me excited is his time with Rick.  He talked about how Rick reinvigorated his career. 

And while he hasn't had great teams after 2018 break through, he has had winning teams.

2019: 12-6 in Conf
2020: 13-5 in Conf
2021: 9-1 in Conf

I would love to see what he could do at a school like MU, with our resources. 

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2021, 03:06:22 PM »
Moser is my #1 choice.  He's been a player, assistant and head coach at Jesuit schools so that box is checked.

Been around the block a few times, has won, has lost and yet he's only 52.  What really get me excited is his time with Rick.  He talked about how Rick reinvigorated his career. 

And while he hasn't had great teams after 2018 break through, he has had winning teams.

The trend has definitely been upward for him since the CBI championship and now that he has tournament "cred" with the FF he can recruit better. I wouldn't call him my no1 option but he'd be too 3-5 for sure.
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »

How important is it that he’s coached a Jesuit school before? I’ve seen this thrown out a few times. I’d be a bit underwhelmed based on his years at Loyola before the Final Four.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2021, 03:11:43 PM »
How important is it that he’s coached a Jesuit school before? I’ve seen this thrown out a few times. I’d be a bit underwhelmed based on his years at Loyola before the Final Four.

I think it's the theory that they'd feel comfortable at the institution and be able to showcase the culture to recruits.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2021, 03:16:33 PM »
Moser had to build Loyola up from pretty much nothing.  He's done a great job building that program there.  Does that translate?  I have no idea.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2021, 03:18:00 PM »
I think it's the theory that they'd feel comfortable at the institution and be able to showcase the culture to recruits.

And when you're recruiting to SLU or Loyola you can't take anyone and dump them into dummy Phy Ed majors like you can at Ohio State, Oklahoma or Dayton.

* Technically Dayton doesn't have Phy Ed but their Econ or Organic Chem is everyone else's Phy Ed, or intro to finger paints.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2021, 03:18:26 PM »
Our best bet is for some team to hire Wojo away. The school can than hire the best available candidate.

Drag a $2 million salary and a storied program through the coaching carousel and you don’t know what you will find......

Boston College has money and will have an opening in a few weeks.

I don't think it being Jesuit it is as important as being at a school with a similar environment, standards, and institutional values. I once interviewed an Evangelical Christian coach for a job at a Catholic school and he openly said he wasn't unfamiliar and not sure how he'd sell the Catholic identity of the school.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 03:20:46 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2021, 03:43:35 PM »
Do you think there's a prime-time candidate to lead the Warrios back to dominance?  Or even Buzz level?

I think before we worry about “dominance” (Al?) we should think a little smaller. If someone can get us to the Buzz level (or even the KO/Crean level) I think that most of the fan base would be ecstatic.

• All American
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2021, 03:53:45 PM »
I think before we worry about “dominance” (Al?) we should think a little smaller. If someone can get us to the Buzz level (or even the KO/Crean level) I think that most of the fan base would be ecstatic.

If 2019 would have ended better, with a BE regular season title and a S16, we aren't having this conversation.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2021, 03:54:16 PM »

I would take Deane level.  If we're going to go .500 at least let me get drunk with the coach.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2021, 03:56:38 PM »

If 2019 would have ended better, with a BE regular season title and a S16, we aren't having this conversation.

The world is full of ifs better to not get lost in them.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2021, 03:56:47 PM »
Not that Moser is a household name in Chicagoland, but it can't hurt to have some connection to the single largest area from which you draw students.  He might even have some recruiting connections for kids who want to play outside the city (Loyola, DePaul) but close enough for family.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2021, 04:02:36 PM »
I would take Deane level.  If we're going to go .500 at least let me get drunk with the coach.

LOL - even the alums could get in the act. I was almost 30 years out when a fellow Warrior and I went to Doc Weeds in Chicago for an alumni meet and greet. He spent almost an hour at our table - and drank at least 4 beers (to our 2). Guy could pound ‘em with the best of them!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 04:11:13 PM by Lennys Tap »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2021, 04:20:00 PM »

Probably true. If Vander hadn't come through against Davidson and Diener hadn't come through against Holy Cross, Buzz and Crean would be remembered differently. Heck, if the '77 Warriors hadn't pulled out a few unlikely wins, Al wouldn't be AL!

2019 didn't end better. We didn't win the BEast or an NCAA tourney game. And we are having this conversation. Time to move on.

I know you agree with all of the above.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2021, 06:39:44 PM »
Galway

If they hire Wardle it would only confirm that they know little about running a major basketball program. I have said many times on here that lowering the budget and hiring Wardle is an option, just a horrible option. As much as I dislike Wojo being the HC, I would take him over Wardle any day of the week. Wojo can at least walk into any recruits house with a story to tell, a name to drop or a high level experience he can share. Brian Wardle's name should not be even mentioned IMO.

Goose,

We agree on Wardle.

Who would be on your realistic, but hopeful, shortlist?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2021, 08:17:46 PM »

I would add the Hausers not transferring. I think that was a red flag for a lot of fans. Even had he retained Sam, it would've helped assuage fan concerns that started to grow out of the 2019 ending.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2021, 09:02:38 PM »
I would add the Hausers not transferring. I think that was a red flag for a lot of fans. Even had he retained Sam, it would've helped assuage fan concerns that started to grow out of the 2019 ending.

2019 was supposed to the 2002 and 2020 was supposed to be 2003.

Joey could have been Odartey.  It still would have been fine if Sam (2020's Wade) stayed. In this scenario Markus is obviously Merritt.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2021, 10:05:10 PM »
2019 was supposed to the 2002 and 2020 was supposed to be 2003.

Joey could have been Odartey.  It still would have been fine if Sam (2020's Wade) stayed. In this scenario Markus is obviously Merritt.

Was Theo going to be RJax?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2021, 10:33:58 PM »

My mindset is always about domination and throttling other teams.  Needless to say this has been a rough time  since we eviscerated Miami in the 2013 S16.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2021, 11:00:04 PM »
My mindset is always about domination and throttling other teams.  Needless to say this has been a rough time  since we eviscerated Miami in the 2013 S16.

Glad to say that Mrs. 82 and I were at that game.

When we left what was then called the Verizon Center that night to go have a celebratory beverage, we never imagined that less than 1 year later Buzz would be Hokie bound and Marquette wouldn't win another NCAA tourney game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2021, 11:07:19 PM »
Glad to say that Mrs. 82 and I were at that game.

When we left what was then called the Verizon Center that night to go have a celebratory beverage, we never imagined that less than 1 year later Buzz would be Hokie bound and Marquette wouldn't win another NCAA tourney game.

Seeing Buzz on CBS in 'Hokie'" gear was an awful sight.  I'm pleased however that Mrs. 82 was able to see us pummel Miami and perhaps watch Larranaga cry.  I will never forget that pre-game show where Gottlieb, Barkley, and Smith gave us no chance.  Props to Greg Anthony who pimped MU. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2021, 01:28:43 AM »
jesmu

At this point I really have no idea who would or could be viable options. I have always been a swing for the fences person, but I do not know what direction MU wants to go moving forward. However, I do strongly believe that Wardle should not even be in a conversation regarding the HC position at MU.
Wish I knew or had an idea what to do in regards of HC at MU. I do think Wojo is back next season and we can do this all over again  next year. Unless he leaves on his own I do not see a coaching change happening.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2021, 06:14:32 AM »
Not sure I agree with that. I think Cain could be NBA bound. Just needs to clean his handle up a bit.

Eye could bea NBA bound two. Just gotta grow 8 inches, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"