[September 27, 2024, 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[September 27, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Where do you stand?

Projo for life
1 (0.5%)
Hanging on to projo
39 (20.9%)
In the middle
35 (18.7%)
Experimenting with nojo
65 (34.8%)
Nojo forever
47 (25.1%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Voting closed: January 03, 2021, 10:00:50 AM

Author Topic: Projo nojo  (Read 29900 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Projo nojo
« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2020, 12:41:52 PM »
If Brian Wardle had played at Xavier and someone said, "Hey, we should really look at replacing Wojo with Brian Wardle" you'd be laughed off of Scoop.  Or at least I hope you would.  Then again, here we are, so I'm not sure, really.

If we were DePaul and needed to find someone to build us out of the worst program in our conference, cool.  Let's go all in on Brian Wardle.  Maybe we can get to 6th in the Big East and win one extra game in the BET we didn't expect to.  That's not where we are.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 12:46:34 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #176 on: December 28, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
Moser outperforming Wardle in the MVC every single year doesn't concern you?

Since you’re uninterested in my answers and apparently just want to argue, I’ll let you figure out the answer to your question.  Because it isn’t hard.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #177 on: December 28, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
Since you’re uninterested in my answers and apparently just want to argue, I’ll let you figure out the answer to your question.  Because it isn’t hard.
Just trying to to figure out what makes Wardle more appealing, that's all. I personally find Moser having more consistent success in overlapping tenures in the same conference more appealing than what happened 13 years ago.  Guess we can leave it at that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #178 on: December 28, 2020, 01:12:30 PM »

He's got SEC wriitten all over his kisser, hey?

He's the top potential candidate IMO barring Mata saying he feels 50 again. If he came for a big pay day and left after 5 years while increasing our standing back to at least crean ideally buzz, while letting the wealthy SEC school pay a ridiculous buyout to help our budget issues then I'd be more than ok with that.

who might be on your short list?
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #179 on: December 28, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »
Shaheen Holloway might be worth considering.

Weave all ready had won total loser, van driver from St. Peter's, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #180 on: December 28, 2020, 01:24:42 PM »
If Brian Wardle had played at Xavier and someone said, "Hey, we should really look at replacing Wojo with Brian Wardle" you'd be laughed off of Scoop.  Or at least I hope you would.  Then again, here we are, so I'm not sure, really.

If we were DePaul and needed to find someone to build us out of the worst program in our conference, cool.  Let's go all in on Brian Wardle.  Maybe we can get to 6th in the Big East and win one extra game in the BET we didn't expect to.  That's not where we are.
Is your endgame just to denigrate every potential HC candidate that gets tossed around on Scoop because you can no longer defend Wojo on his own merits? Or do you actually have any original ideas to contribute?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #181 on: December 28, 2020, 01:32:29 PM »
Is your endgame just to denigrate every potential HC candidate that gets tossed around on Scoop because you can no longer defend Wojo on his own merits? Or do you actually have any original ideas to contribute?

Read the thread and you'll find your answer.

Or don't and look dumb.  Not unusual for you.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #182 on: December 28, 2020, 01:49:31 PM »
Read the thread and you'll find your answer.

Or don't and look dumb.  Not unusual for you.
I read your awful argument and I’m pretty sure it gave me COVID. When you’re argument is crumbling, as it always is, you can do better than being insecure and condescending. Keep working at it!

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #183 on: December 28, 2020, 02:07:27 PM »

Weave all ready had won total loser, van driver from St. Peter's, aina?

;D

Yeah, kind of hard to ignore that elephant in the room when that name was put out there.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2020, 02:09:58 PM »

Unfortunately, 6th in the Big East and winning one BET game is right about where we are as a program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #185 on: December 28, 2020, 02:14:25 PM »
I read your awful argument and I’m pretty sure it gave me COVID. When you’re argument is crumbling, as it always is, you can do better than being insecure and condescending. Keep working at it!

My argument gave you covid?  Well that's a new one.  Give the CDC a call, that'd be important information for them.  "Breaking news: Covid-19 now known to be contracted by getting triggered online!"

Unfortunately, 6th in the Big East and winning one BET game is right about where we are as a program.

Thank you.  Someone finally understands the point.  We want to fire our coach because he sucks, and hire someone who has had similar success, but at a much lower level.  Seems extremely logical.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #186 on: December 28, 2020, 02:19:55 PM »
My argument gave you covid?  Well that's a new one.  Give the CDC a call, that'd be important information for them.  "Breaking news: Covid-19 now known to be contracted by getting triggered online!"

Thank you.  Someone finally understands the point.  We want to fire our coach because he sucks, and hire someone who has had similar success, but at a much lower level.  Seems extremely logical.

I’m in agreement with you that Wardle would not be the answer in our next coaching search.  I think he would be too similar to Wojo in how he carries himself and runs a program.  But that might be the exact reason the BOT hires him, if it comes to that.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #187 on: December 28, 2020, 02:34:15 PM »
Watch yourself, you’re about to be dazzled by selective facts and KenPom stats that Bradley has really been the envy of mid majors for a long time. 

Go ahead Wades World, tell him how simple winning at UWGB and Bradley is. And why high on our list should be Bill Murray’s son.

The thing is I wouldn’t consider Wardle a top tier candidate, but I do find the obsession with tearing down his accomplishments amusing, especially compared to guys who a) aren’t as accomplished as him, and b) would never take the MU job.

I’d rather take Anna accomplished mid major coach than an assistant and an alumnus meeting that criteria isn’t a bad thing either.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2020, 03:09:44 PM »
The thing is I wouldn’t consider Wardle a top tier candidate, but I do find the obsession with tearing down his accomplishments amusing, especially compared to guys who a) aren’t as accomplished as him, and b) would never take the MU job.

I’d rather take Anna accomplished mid major coach than an assistant and an alumnus meeting that criteria isn’t a bad thing either.

It’s more annoying than amusing to me because it’s just lacking objectivity over what he’s accomplished at two programs that only young assistants (or D2 coach such as Darner) trying to prove themselves would touch either job because of the inherent difficulties winning consistently at either place. 

I’m not all in either that Wardle would be a home run hire, but like you seem to be, I’m considering who is reasonable for us and lend reasons to believe they’ll outperform Wojo.  Wardle has never had close to the resources, conference affiliation, etc. he would be armed with taking over MU. Not even close. Like 5Dollar said, there’s risk in any coaching search. He’s one guy though that checks many boxes to indicate they’ll win wherever they go.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 03:15:27 PM by HutchwasClutch »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #189 on: December 28, 2020, 03:10:42 PM »
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 03:14:28 PM by HutchwasClutch »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »
I think we should get the guy from Kentucky. I think his name is Calamari or something.

He's got a decent track record, but I did see him get ripped on ESPN the other day for making too difficult a schedule this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #191 on: December 28, 2020, 03:42:54 PM »
I think we should get the guy from Kentucky. I think his name is Calamari or something.

He's got a decent track record, but I did see him get ripped on ESPN the other day for making too difficult a schedule this season.

There's people calling for his head on the Kentucky boards and on Twitter. Shocking really how entitled that fan base is. Not that we're great but that's another level
Maigh Eo for Sam

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2020, 06:02:45 PM »

Is Wardle even in the top 25 of most accomplished mid-major coaches?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #193 on: December 28, 2020, 06:10:51 PM »
I'm not qualified to tell you who the next up and coming mid-major coach is...there are plenty of people that can...and I wish MU would hire him now. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: December 28, 2020, 06:16:48 PM »
There's people calling for his head on the Kentucky boards and on Twitter. Shocking really how entitled that fan base is. Not that we're great but that's another level

Really? That's hilarious.

BTW, in case folks didn't see it, the guy who was ripping him for the schedule was ... himself.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2020, 06:32:51 AM »
We want to fire our coach because he sucks, and hire someone who has had similar success, but at a much lower level.  Seems extremely logical.

This is a bad argument. Wardle has had significantly more success than Cooley, Willard, or Jordan before they took over Big East programs that have been more successful than Wojo. His resume is about the equivalent of Jay Wright's when he got to Villanova.

That doesn't guarantee success. Nothing does. But we know what we have with Wojo. A coach whose decisions and strategies actively impact our ability to win.

You worry about recruiting. I don't. The actual boots on the ground work of that has mostly been done by Stan, Dwayne, and Justin. Wardle can hire assistants to recruit.

But ultimately, it isn't about Wojo or Wardle, or Wojo or TJO, it's just about Wojo. We're in year 7 and the job isn't getting done. Only two other coaches at Marquette in the past 68 years have failed to win a tournament game, Majerus and Dukiet. They lasted a combined 6 seasons, less time than Wojo. We aren't competing for conference titles. We haven't been to a conference tournament final. We see the same offensive mistakes by different players and the same defensive inability that has plagued the program since he arrived.

Wojo can get players, but that's a useless skill if you can't maximize their ability or make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. All evidence thus far shows he can't.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2020, 06:39:08 AM »
This is a bad argument. Wardle has had significantly more success than Cooley, Willard, or Jordan before they took over Big East programs that have been more successful than Wojo. His resume is about the equivalent of Jay Wright's when he got to Villanova.

That doesn't guarantee success. Nothing does. But we know what we have with Wojo. A coach whose decisions and strategies actively impact our ability to win.

You worry about recruiting. I don't. The actual boots on the ground work of that has mostly been done by Stan, Dwayne, and Justin. Wardle can hire assistants to recruit.

But ultimately, it isn't about Wojo or Wardle, or Wojo or TJO, it's just about Wojo. We're in year 7 and the job isn't getting done. Only two other coaches at Marquette in the past 68 years have failed to win a tournament game, Majerus and Dukiet. They lasted a combined 6 seasons, less time than Wojo. We aren't competing for conference titles. We haven't been to a conference tournament final. We see the same offensive mistakes by different players and the same defensive inability that has plagued the program since he arrived.

Wojo can get players, but that's a useless skill if you can't maximize their ability or make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. All evidence thus far shows he can't.

Like I said, I’m fine moving on from Wojo. Wardle ain’t it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #197 on: December 29, 2020, 06:42:15 AM »
Like I said, I’m fine moving on from Wojo. Wardle ain’t it.

Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. But his track record makes him a strong candidate that has shown the ability to build two programs at different levels, neither of which are easy places to win. That all of his work has been done to specifically create a resume worthy of our job would have to be a positive in my eyes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2020, 06:53:18 AM »
I have two concerns with Wardle.

First, his temper got him into big trouble at UWGB, which despite the statement that it was just a bunch of soft kids whose parents were overly involved, was a more serious problem than some were lead to believe.  It also got him into trouble at Bradley but not nearly to the same extent.  That's a problem that can be dealt with IMO.

Second, he really doesn't recruit at a high level.  And at mid-majors, that can work if you are a really good coach.  But will he be able to step up his recruiting?  Is he a good enough coach if he can't?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #199 on: December 29, 2020, 07:13:35 AM »
I have two concerns with Wardle.

First, his temper got him into big trouble at UWGB, which despite the statement that it was just a bunch of soft kids whose parents were overly involved, was a more serious problem than some were lead to believe.  It also got him into trouble at Bradley but not nearly to the same extent.  That's a problem that can be dealt with IMO.

Second, he really doesn't recruit at a high level.  And at mid-majors, that can work if you are a really good coach.  But will he be able to step up his recruiting?  Is he a good enough coach if he can't?

I echo these concerns, especially the second one.

I will be 100% behind whomever we hire, just as I have been behind Wojo, but it is a big leap from UWGB/Bradley to recruit at the level that Scoopers expect from our coach. And just saying, "Eh, he'll hire assistants who can consistently get top 30-100 players," seems extremely optimistic.

The good news for a dwindling few, bad news for others, and tragic news for those who believe that Wojo is "horrible" and/or "an embarrassment," is that there is plenty of time before such a decision will need to be made. Likely 15 months or more, possibly many more.

Lots of time to speculate wildly, and to build up or tear down guys who probably will never be our coach!