[September 27, 2024, 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[September 27, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Where do you stand?

Projo for life
1 (0.5%)
Hanging on to projo
39 (20.9%)
In the middle
35 (18.7%)
Experimenting with nojo
65 (34.8%)
Nojo forever
47 (25.1%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Voting closed: January 03, 2021, 10:00:50 AM

Author Topic: Projo nojo  (Read 29907 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Projo nojo
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2020, 10:47:23 AM »
If we're pretending that Marquette isn't facing financial issues and that Wojo doesn't still have a decent chance to make his 4th NCAA Tournament in the past 5 seasons?  (Oh wait.  We can't say that.  No Tournament last year.  So I guess we can go with "tied for the longest active NCAA Tournament appearance streak in the entire NCAA.")

Ideally you get a coach who's had some had coaching experience at the mid major level but has had some experience actually recruiting to the high major level.  I'd rather have a far less "proven" (even though Wardle's been average) head coach who has recent experience recruiting to the high major level.  I've seen what Wardle is.  If I want to continue with what we've seen under Wojo, he's definitely my guy.  But if I'm moving on from that, I'm taking a shot at someone who's probably more "boom or bust."  Maybe I give Todd Golden a chance.  Brian Michaelson (think he'd be my top choice) or Luke Murray as guys who don't have the head coaching background but I'd take a shot with them over a Wardle.

Or can you throw enough money at someone like Anthony Grant to get him to jump ship to the Big East?

Matt McMahon would be my first call. Already has a poster child he can point to in developing players. He's got 3/4 1st place finishes at a good mid major.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2020, 10:48:47 AM »
If we're pretending that Marquette isn't facing financial issues and that Wojo doesn't still have a decent chance to make his 4th NCAA Tournament in the past 5 seasons?  (Oh wait.  We can't say that.  No Tournament last year.  So I guess we can go with "tied for the longest active NCAA Tournament appearance streak in the entire NCAA.")

Two truths of 2020:

1) MU was a tournament team
2) MU was going to lose in the 1st round
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2020, 10:51:18 AM »
Matt McMahon would be my first call. Already has a poster child he can point to in developing players. He's got 3/4 1st place finishes at a good mid major.

I'd certainly be interested in him.

Two truths of 2020:

• MU was a tournament team
  • MU was going to lose in the 1st round

I agree.  Markus always had a chance of going off for 40 and that gives you a chance.  But the reality is we were playing bad basketball and most likely to be bounced in the first round.

Like I said.  I'm good with moving on with Wojo.  But if Wardle is the replacement, what's the point?  I mean, the year before Wojo took over MU, Marquette finished 8th out of 10 in the Big East.  By year 5 he had MU alone in 2nd in the BE.  Now we want to punt him to the curb so we can bring in a guy who has never finished in the top 2 of the MVC in his 6 years there.  Come on.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2020, 11:01:24 AM »
I think there%u2019s been a bit of revisionist history on that last Buzz team. Sometimes I feel people view it as being DePaul level season. They were a letdown from where they were supposed to be, but were in the Bubble conversation for most of the year. They lost two heartbreakers to end the regular season.

The team the following year would have had some solid freshman. I don%u2019t know if they would have been a tourney team though.

I%u2019m warming up to Wardle. I don%u2019t think I%u2019d be dancing in the streets, but think he%u2019s at least get us to Wojo%u2019s level. He has the upside of demonstrating that he%u2019s built and improved programs in the past. I don%u2019t know that I%u2019d argue Wojo has improved MU%u2019s standing a ton even using Buzz%u2019s last year as a benchmark.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 11:08:04 AM by cheebs09 »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2020, 11:04:30 AM »

Ideally you get a coach who's had some had coaching experience at the mid major level but has had some experience actually recruiting to the high major level.  I'd rather have a far less "proven" (even though Wardle's been average) head coach who has recent experience recruiting to the high major level.  I've seen what Wardle is.  If I want to continue with what we've seen under Wojo, he's definitely my guy.  But if I'm moving on from that, I'm taking a shot at someone who's probably more "boom or bust."  Maybe I give Todd Golden a chance.  Brian Michaelson (think he'd be my top choice) or Luke Murray as guys who don't have the head coaching background but I'd take a shot with them over a Wardle.

Or can you throw enough money at someone like Anthony Grant to get him to jump ship to the Big East?

Your top choice has the same resume Wojo had when he was hired.   

Grant got fired from his lone non mid major job. 

Murray has a celebrity father and never run a program.

Golden has a 5th place conference finish and a November win over UVA with his 6-4 record.

All clearly more attractive than what  Wardle has done at two programs awash  in basketball tradition, resources, and success.   

Very appealing candidates. But congrats on sticking your neck out finally.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 11:11:53 AM by HutchwasClutch »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2020, 11:06:26 AM »
I think there’s been a bit of revisionist history on that last Buzz team. Sometimes I feel people view it as being DePaul level season. They were a letdown from where they were supposed to be, but were in the Bubble conversation for most of the year. They lost two heartbreakers to end the regular season.

The team the following year would have had some solid freshman. I don’t know if they would have been a tourney team though.

I’m warming up to awardee. I don’t think I’d be dancing in the streets, but think he’s at least get us to Wojo’s level. He has the upside of demonstrating that he’s built and improved programs in the past. I don’t know that I’d argue Wojo has improved MU’s standing a ton even using Buzz’s last year as a benchmark.

9-9 in conf and 6 of those 18 games went to OT, 2 went to Double OT.  Those 2OT games were 1 point losses.

We were 1-5 in OT.  A bounce here or there and you're 11-7 or even 12-6. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2020, 11:07:31 AM »

Golden has a 5th place conference finish and a November win over UVA with his 6-4 record.

Right.  Nobody who's had some giant success is coming to Marquette.

But hey.  Wardle is so, so much more successful than those guys.  Oh wait.  He's never once recruited a high major basketball player in his career.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2020, 11:08:52 AM »
9-9 in conf and 6 of those 18 games went to OT, 2 went to Double OT.  Those 2OT games were 1 point losses.

We were 1-5 in OT.  A bounce here or there and you're 11-7 or even 12-6.

Just want to point out, this same logic could be used for Wojo to be sitting at 5 ncaa appearances and multiple top 3 finishes. You can't use that argument to sugar coat buzz's last season without doing it for Wojo.
Maigh Eo for Sam

panda

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2020, 11:18:13 AM »

All clearly more attractive than what  Wardle has done at two programs awash  in basketball tradition, resources, and success.   

Todd Golden — He’s really set the world on fire in his (checks notes) one season at San Fran !
Brian Michaelson — The first high profile assistant didn’t work out so let’s try it again!
Luke Murray — The only reason you know his name is because they show Bill at every timeout during Luke’s time at X and Ville. But lets hire him!

To summarize — LOL

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2020, 11:21:37 AM »
Right.  Nobody who's had some giant success is coming to Marquette.

But hey.  Wardle is so, so much more successful than those guys.  Oh wait.  He's never once recruited a high major basketball player in his career.

Yes, experience recruiting high major players has paid off so handsomely for us in almost 7 years in now.  Recruiting is not rocket science for crying out loud!

Nobody thought Greg Gard could recruit. Buzz had very little major D1 experience when he was hired. 

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »
My view is Wojo will be hired away by a desperate scandal ridden P5 school (None currently out there but scandals happen all the time). In the meantime the Administration has made it clear they are backing him as our coach as long as he wants to be. 

In the event Wojo is lured away,  my replacement choices are as follows:
1. Stan
2. Coach Killings

Both have proven themselves as consistent recruiters and have thrived in our program.   

I think the Xavier and Butler Model of having consistency in their coaches has been proven to be a winning formula over the year. MU has a great basketball culture so no reason not to promote MU guys. One of the good things Wojo has done is embrace the history and alumni of MU basketball and I think having a replacement with MU experience has very good potential.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2020, 11:34:11 AM »
Yes, experience recruiting high major players has paid off so handsomely for us in almost 7 years in now.  Recruiting is not rocket science for crying out loud!

Nobody thought Greg Gard could recruit. Buzz had very little major D1 experience when he was hired.

Wojo has been to Marquette basically what Wardle has been to Bradley.  That's the entire point.

Todd Golden — He’s really set the world on fire in his (checks notes) one season at San Fran !
Brian Michaelson — The first high profile assistant didn’t work out so let’s try it again!
Luke Murray — The only reason you know his name is because they show Bill at every timeout during Luke’s time at X and Ville. But lets hire him!

To summarize — LOL

And in their combined 1.5 years of head coaching experience, they've achieved just as much as Brian Wardle has in 11 seasons coaching!

To summarize - LOL

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #162 on: December 28, 2020, 11:44:01 AM »
Wojo has been to Marquette basically what Wardle has been to Bradley.  That's the entire point.

And in their combined 1.5 years of head coaching experience, they've achieved just as much as Brian Wardle has in 11 seasons coaching!

To summarize - LOL

The entire point that only you continue to miss is drawing coaching parallels between Wojo and Wardle is ridiculous!  Programs they’ve led and what they inherited are apples and oranges. 

Backup QB’s who have never thrown a pass look wonderful too. And no, none of them have accomplished two NCAA bids and a regular season conference title as Wardle has.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 11:45:54 AM by HutchwasClutch »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2020, 11:55:03 AM »

To summarize - LOL

Really? USF has a 2 conference titles and NCAA tourney appearances?

Note that Golden inherited a program from a guy who got a Pac 12 job. He didn’t take over a garbage program like Wardle did at Bradley. Also, the team Wardle left Darner at GB went to the tourney the next year after two straight NIT appearances. He’s built programs.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

panda

• All American
« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2020, 11:56:45 AM »

Note that Golden inherited a program from a guy who got a Pac 12 job. He didn’t take over a garbage program like Wardle did at Bradley. Also, the team Wardle left Darner at GB went to the tourney the next year after two straight NIT appearances. He’s built programs.

Don’t confuse Wades with the facts

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #165 on: December 28, 2020, 12:00:36 PM »

Watch yourself, you’re about to be dazzled by selective facts and KenPom stats that Bradley has really been the envy of mid majors for a long time. 

Go ahead Wades World, tell him how simple winning at UWGB and Bradley is. And why high on our list should be Bill Murray’s son. 

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #166 on: December 28, 2020, 12:02:43 PM »
Why do we have to go through this every thread with BLM/Wades? Not being sure about what you’ll get in a coaching search is not a valid reason to keep a currently and consistently underwhelming coach.

There will always be risk in a coaching search 100% of the time.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2020, 12:04:28 PM »
Watch yourself, you’re about to be dazzled by selective facts and KenPom stats that Bradley has really been the envy of mid majors for a long time. 

Go ahead Wades World, tell him how simple winning at UWGB and Bradley is. And why high on our list should be Bill Murray’s son.
I'd say Tod Kowalczyk has had pretty similar success to Wardle at UWGB and Toledo.  Also, if you like Wardle, why not just go for Moser instead?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2020, 12:11:09 PM »
I'd say Tod Kowalczyk has had pretty similar success to Wardle at UWGB and Toledo.  Also, if you like Wardle, why not just go for Moser instead?

Kowalczyk’s 0 NCAA’s are similar to Wardle’s 2?  And K has coached many more seasons.

I’d be open to considering Moser.  He’d be pretty far down my list though. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #169 on: December 28, 2020, 12:14:31 PM »
If people are so tired of mediocrity that we want Wojo gone, why in the world would we replace him with Wardle?  Because his team got hot at the right time in a mediocre (generous) conference torunament to sneak into the NCAA Tournament?  The Bradley teams he got into the NCAA Tournaments were 11-7 and 9-9 in the MVC.  In his 11th season, his overall record is 182-154 (.542), with no real experience recruiting to a high major.  Wojo's record at Marquette is 120-86 (.583).

I just don't get the logic people use.  Let's fire Wojo because he sucks, and hire a guy who's less successful at a lower level of basketball.

Furst thang ya got write in yeers, kin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2020, 12:20:30 PM »

He's got SEC wriitten all over his kisser, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2020, 12:23:21 PM »
Kowalczyk’s 0 NCAA’s are similar to Wardle’s 2?  And K has coached many more seasons.

I’d be open to considering Moser.  He’d be pretty far down my list though.
I'd say their success is pretty similar.  You may disagree, but I don't put a lot of stock in conference tourney runs to get NCAA bids. What makes Wardle a better candidate than Moser?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2020, 12:27:43 PM »

Shaheen Holloway might be worth considering.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2020, 12:29:03 PM »
I'd say their success is pretty similar.  You may disagree, but I don't put a lot of stock in conference tourney runs to get NCAA bids. What makes Wardle a better candidate than Moser?

Moser flaming out at IL St is very concerning. Wardle doesn’t have a failed tenure to answer for. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #174 on: December 28, 2020, 12:36:42 PM »
Moser flaming out at IL St is very concerning. Wardle doesn’t have a failed tenure to answer for.
Moser outperforming Wardle in the MVC every single year doesn't concern you?

feedback