'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 10:10:15 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Lennys Tap
[June 20, 2024, 08:26:59 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Warriors4ever
[June 20, 2024, 07:45:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 05:24:06 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[June 20, 2024, 02:56:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[June 20, 2024, 01:29:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I’m not calling for his head  (Read 21996 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: I’m not calling for his head
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2018, 01:22:27 PM »
Clearly Wojo cannot be left to his own devices.  The midget ball M2M formula does not work. Period.  No Markus was a good thing because it saved Wojo from Wojo.  Simple as that.

It's a bad thing when the head coach can't figure out his team is out=athleticed at every position and insists on playing M2M.
Yep. I said earlier this week having Howard back would present Wojo with his biggest challenge yet in figuring out his lineups. And he failed miserably
No Finish Line

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
It would not be such a bad thing if Wojo got caught up in the NCAA scandal ... would help the university save face and move on more quickly from this disaster of a coach.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2018, 01:23:19 PM »
I felt this for awhile. The team offense disappears when Markus is in the game. This game became a three point chucking contest instead of looking for good shots.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »
Most of our fouls were during scrambles/put backs after offensive rebounds.  The zone would have made our rebounding even worse. 

It actually could have made our fouls increase in this game. 

We also had about 4 fouls called on clean blocks.  Those had nothing to do with zone or M2M. 

When we did play zone, Depaul got a lot of very easy buckets.  I think they shot 50%+ against the zone.  They shot around 35% against M2M.  Our defensive game plan was solid.

Depaul out fought us on the boards, and we couldn't make a shot to save our life. 

Blaming Wojo in this game is idiotic.

Perhaps the most idiotic thing ever posted here.  Our coach was given an absolute blueprint on how to use his team this year, via a gift horse at Creighton, and he does a complete 180 and reverts back to the formula that gave us mediocrity at best.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2018, 01:25:33 PM »
Yep. I said earlier this week having Howard back would present Wojo with his biggest challenge yet in figuring out his lineups. And he failed miserably

Yep.  If he only had your basketball acumen.  Man would he be something.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »
Perhaps the most idiotic thing ever posted here.

No you've set the bar for that.  Repeatedly.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »
I wonder which two or three players will transfer?

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »

Excactly NickelDimer!!!!

Completely unprepared in a MUST WIN game.  I gave Wojo the benefit of the doubt, until today.

The team clearly plays better with Rowsey or Howard on the bench.
The team needs to play zone to cover up its defensive deficiencies.

Yes, we are all excited for next year, but I honestly don't see the progress from the coaching staff to allow us to reach our potential.    This is year 4, and it simply is NOT good enough.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »
Yep.  If he only had your basketball acumen.  Man would he be something.
Mine? Hell if he only had enough acumen to learn from recent success he’d be worth more than he is. Even yours would suffice! Imagine that!
No Finish Line

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2018, 01:28:03 PM »

Well he put together an incomplete roster that is too reliant on the outside shot.  That's on him.

But outside of that?  Nah.  If the players don't hit shots there's not much a coach can do.

Wait, so now your position is that Wojo should not be responsible for player improvement?

That’s increasingly pathetic. It’s his job to get the game plan right, to improve player skills, to teach a freaking decent defense. He doesn’t get a pass because the players he recruited arents good enough. It’s year 4.

He hasn’t improved and has pretty much relied on success coming from skills players had before getting to Marquette (i.e. shooting).
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2018, 01:28:33 PM »
What do you want Wojo to do? We're likely going to hold them below 70 points, but we couldn't buy a basket. We're not going to win many games when we shoot this poorly.

Not play 30 & 0 together.  Give 5 & 23 some run.  Trap an awful DP team.  Anything but what he did.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2018, 01:29:31 PM »
Perhaps the most idiotic thing ever posted here.  Our coach was given an absolute blueprint on how to use his team this year, via a gift horse at Creighton, and he does a complete 180 and reverts back to the formula that gave us mediocrity at best.

This. This times 1000000

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2018, 01:30:32 PM »
Wait, so now your position is that Wojo should not be responsible for player improvement?

That’s increasingly pathetic. It’s his job to get the game plan right, to improve player skills, to teach a freaking decent defense. He doesn’t get a pass because the players he recruited arents good enough. It’s year 4.

He hasn’t improved and has pretty much relied on success coming from skills players had before getting to Marquette (i.e. shooting).

Holy f*ck what?

You haven't seen improvement in the players since they have gotten here?  Wow.  Talk about blind.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2018, 01:31:03 PM »

No you've set the bar for that.  Repeatedly.

Says the guy who advocates for us getting a Derrick Wilson clone as a grad transfer next year.  You are a real piece Sultan.   

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »

Agreed.  It is painfully obvious...to just about everyone.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:36:08 PM by 94Warrior »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2018, 01:34:28 PM »

Wait, you don’t think Wojo’s players have shown improvements under Wojo? Uhh, okay, I guess? Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2018, 01:35:18 PM »

Well he put together an incomplete roster that is too reliant on the outside shot.  That's on him.

But outside of that?  Nah.  If the players don't hit shots there's not much a coach can do.

Glad you are okay with a loss to DePaul..and here telling everyone they can't be pissed off..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2018, 01:35:53 PM »
Missed the game today but from what I read, seems like the problem is the same as the one we had all season -- H-E-R-O  B-A-L-L.

How long will it take until the guys realize that you win by playing a complete game involving all five of your team members?

How long will it take until your coach sits your Hero Ball players on the bench. He didn't with Carlino. He didn't with Ellenson. He didn't with Reinhardt and now he's not with Rowsey

Do we really expect next year to be any different? We will have more talent yes but our guards are addicted to the "3" ball.

Lot of this reminds me of my grade school. The centers and forwards are there to rebound and toss the ball to the Heroes. It may work in suburban Nashville grade schools. It doesn't work for a high-level NCAA team.

Cue up.. "I'm Looking for a Hero....!"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2018, 01:37:51 PM »
Glad you are okay with a loss to DePaul..and here telling everyone they can't be pissed off..

1. Never said I was OK with a loss.

2. I never said you couldn't be pissed off.

Reading is fundamental.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »

Exactly.  The same old whiners and complainers are blaming it on the coach when the team shot like sh*t. 

It's really unbelievable. 

EDIT:  Actually it is completely believable.

You've got to be kidding me, right sultan?

You have a formula that's won the past two games -1 midget and zone defense (for the majority).

You go away from that in the second half with mostly Roawey/Howard in at the same time...and you lose.

That's NOT ON WOJO? How do you NOT play Cain more? Sacar and Sam looked worse with those TWO BOTH ON THE FLOOR.

Dumb take. Wojo's fault today. Seat is hot next year and I'm the last person that wants that.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2018, 01:38:23 PM »
Wait, you don’t think Wojo’s players have shown improvements under Wojo? Uhh, okay, I guess? Lol.

Here's the deal:  Wojo has recruited well.  Very skilled shooters.  Players ARE improving under Wojo and staff.  BUT, the problem is, THE COACH ISN'T IMPROVING. 

I mean we all know eFG reigns supreme and we were 4th in the country in eFG last season and we BARELY snuck in the NCAA tourney.  We had prolifically great shooting last year, and to an extent again this year - yet best we can be is a 9-9 Big East team that misses NCAA or limps into the NCAA as 10 seed?

Wojo deserves next year.  Still not advocating in any way to move on from him after this year, BUT, today was BAD.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »
You've got to be kidding me, right sultan?

You have a formula that's won the past two games -1 midget and zone defense (for the majority).

You go away from that in the second half with mostly Roawey/Howard in at the same time...and you lose.

That's NOT ON WOJO? How do you NOT play Cain more? Sacar and Sam looked worse with those TWO BOTH ON THE FLOOR.

Dumb take. Wojo's fault today. Seat is hot next year and I'm the last person that wants that.

Nah.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »

What game plan did we use when we beat Seton Hall by 20, or UW by 20, or battled #1 Nova to the wire? 

You are self-proclaiming two games as "our best" of the year, because it suits your argument, and in the process throwing out a season of data. 

You throw out games like Howard single handily winning the game for us @Providence by scoring 52, and instead focus on a short series of games where he was struggling, to justify an argument of us being better without Howard.  Those are all invalid approaches, and display extreme bias from the reality of the data.

We win when we shoot well.  We lose when we struggle to score.

We beat Depaul by 18 the first time, because we out rebounded them, using the same game plan as tonight. 

We couldn't score, and we couldn't rebound in this game.  We played great defense.  That is the reality.

Stop Maric/Strauss from combining for 9 offensive rebounds and we win this game too.  Heldt/Theo grab a few offensive rebounds of their own, and we win by 10.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2018, 01:45:04 PM »
What game plan did we use when we beat Seton Hall by 20, or UW by 20, or battled #1 Nova to the wire? 

You are self-proclaiming two games as "our best" of the year, because it suits your argument, and in the process throwing out a season of data. 

You throw out games like Howard single handily winning the game for us @Providence by scoring 52, and instead focus on a short series of games where he was struggling, to justify an argument of us being better without Howard.  Those are all invalid approaches, and display extreme bias from the reality of the data.

We win when we shoot well.  We lose when we struggle to score.

We beat Depaul by 18 the first time, because we out rebounded them, using the same game plan as tonight. 

We couldn't score, and we couldn't rebound in this game.  We played great defense.  That is the reality.

Stop Maric/Strauss from combining for 9 offensive rebounds and we win this game too.  Heldt/Theo grab a few offensive rebounds of their own, and we win by 10.

Amen brother!  Well stated.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2018, 01:47:47 PM »
I count DR in defense. John and Cain getting 6 total minutes in the 2nd half and Froling playing zero minutes is weird when we are getting killed on the defensive boards.

Also, after we had crawled back into the game, ran a Sacar ISO out of the time out, which was also weird.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:53:15 PM by MUDPT »

feedback