[Today at 02:56:18 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:59:17 PM]

Media Rights Update by WhiteTrash
[Today at 12:32:13 PM]

Marquette Challenge announced by GoFastAndWin
[June 25, 2024, 10:25:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Froling?  (Read 32089 times)

skianth16

• All American
Re: Froling?
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »
Seems like Harry and Jamal could be additional 3pt threats for next season. Is Joey and Brendan good like Sam from beyond the arc? If so we won't miss Rowsey next season.

Even if both guys can hit the 3, we'll still miss Rowsey next year. There's no way around it. No one else on next year's projected roster is as good of a ballhandler or distributor as him. That said, I'm hoping Wojo looks to have a more balanced offense next year, given the big change in size/length form this year's roster to next year's. As a team, we've done well from behind the arc in recent years, but we've also been a bit too one dimensional on offense because of that.

We'll still have 2 guaranteed elite shooters, so any extra help from 3 will be gravy. I'm guessing (hoping) that Joey and Bailey will be more in the "switchables" category and will be more versatile scorers that get themselves to the hoop a lot. It will be nice to be able to exploit the best matchups on the floor rather than needing to rely so much on the 3 all the time.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2018, 08:34:25 AM »
Have said this before, this is how it came down with Wally:

1) He could stay on the basketball team (and track team) as a walk on, like Cam Marotta, with no athletic scholarship. Or 2)  he  could participate in track and field on a full scholarship ,which by NCAA rules, prevents him from playing basketball ( or football).

Wally chose to graduate and move on.

I never realized that scholarship athletes can be prohibited from playing other sports as well. Does that mean that all 2 sport athletes are paying their own way? I feel like it doesn't seem that uncommon for receivers or DBs on football teams to also run track. Are these guys not able to get scholarships? Or is there some cross-over in the basketball and track seasons that causes a conflict, making an athlete unable to participate in both if on scholarship?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2018, 08:38:50 AM »
You can have a full ride in another sport, but if you play basketball or football, then that counts against the number for basketball or football. 

Basically, you can't stash dudes on the rifle team and not have them count against your 13 schollys for basketball.

Wally was told that he needed to focus on bball if he wanted to continue at MU, he chose not to and left.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2018, 08:42:32 AM »
Nah this doesn't seem like the whole story HC.

As for "actual facts verified by the MU athletic department"...didn't you use that same line when you said Wojo was getting a contract extension last season... And three numerous other fictions you've posted?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2018, 08:42:36 AM »
You can have a full ride in another sport, but if you play basketball or football, then that counts against the number for basketball or football. 

Basically, you can't stash dudes on the rifle team and not have them count against your 13 schollys for basketball.

Wally was told that he needed to focus on bball if he wanted to continue at MU, he chose not to and left.

Thanks. That makes it a lot more clear.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2018, 09:05:43 AM »
Actually, Wally had fully utilized his eligibility in outdoor track with two years at UMn and two at MU. He still had eligibility in indoor track, which is in season the same time as basketball. He would not have been able to participate in both at the same time even if he walked on to the basketball team.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2018, 11:46:42 AM »

Wally was told that he needed to focus on bball if he wanted to continue at MU as a basketball player, he chose not to and left.

FIFY

He could have stayed as a track athlete as well, but then he would have been out of basketball.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2018, 12:23:46 PM »
Seems like Harry and Jamal could be additional 3pt threats for next season. Is Joey and Brendan good like Sam from beyond the arc? If so we won't miss Rowsey next season.

Cain is already a 3-point threat. He is shooting .458 this season and it's not a tiny sample size (22-48, about 1.8 attempts per game). His form is very good and I'm always happy to see him shoot when wide open - which he often is due to the attention that Sam, Markus and AR get.

Elliott's has shot fewer 3s (10-25), but .400 is nothing to sneeze at.

Anim is the only guard/wing on the roster who makes me say, "No!" when he decides to shoot a 3. I'm quite surprised when it goes in. But maybe he can improve in that category as JJJ did.

Froling's shot looks pretty darn good, and his teammates and coaches sure want him to take it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
Cain is already a 3-point threat. He is shooting .458 this season and it's not a tiny sample size (22-48, about 1.8 attempts per game). His form is very good and I'm always happy to see him shoot when wide open - which he often is due to the attention that Sam, Markus and AR get.

Anim is the only guard/wing on the roster who makes me say, "No!" when he decides to shoot a 3. I'm quite surprised when it goes in. But maybe he can improve in that category as JJJ did.

Froling's shot looks pretty darn good, and his teammates and coaches sure want him to take it.

Elliot has shot ut even better than that during the second half of tge season.  When he first hurt his thumb and he was just getting used to the cast/brace he was shooting like 15% over tge first 10-15 games.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2018, 12:33:33 PM »
Nah this doesn't seem like the whole story HC.

As for "actual facts verified by the MU athletic department"...didn't you use that same line when you said Wojo was getting a contract extension last season... And three numerous other fictions you've posted?
Once again in your passive aggressive way you deliberately over look what I wrote to promote your own agenda. I pointed out there are motivations that each party had and I didn't represent what those were. Who the hell knows why Wojo and Company wanted to free up a scholarship? That facts are he did; and the method I described is exactly what happened. Why don't you just admit you don't understand the rules of the NCAA as well as you think you do? 

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »

Small sample size, but he is 5/12 (41.7%) from beyond the arc in our last 9 games.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »
Once again in your passive aggressive way you deliberately over look what I wrote to promote your own agenda. I pointed out there are motivations that each party had and I didn't represent what those were. Who the hell knows why Wojo and Company wanted to free up a scholarship? That facts are he did; and the method I described is exactly what happened. Why don't you just admit you don't understand the rules of the NCAA as well as you think you do?
I didn't ignore any part of your post. You however have been dodging my questions about Wojo's contract extension that you claimed insider knowledge on.

Where you are wrong has zero to do with the NCAA rules HC. That part of your post is sound. And since you asked me to admit it, I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be an expert on NCAA rules. I refer to the likes of Jay Bee on that stuff. You just have the facts of this case wrong. It didn't play out the way you claim to "have verified facts from the MU athletic department." Wally 100% had a basketball scholarship if he wanted it. He chose not to.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:09:55 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »
Small sample size, but he is 5/12 (41.7%) from beyond the arc in our last 9 games.

Thanks, brew, I didn't know that.

I missed one of the FS Wis games, didn't watch the second half of another ... plus I tend to put my hands over my face and peek between my fingers every time I see Sacar going up for a jumper! Kind of the way Cubbie fans used to watch when Dempster entered a game.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2018, 09:00:23 PM »
I didn't ignore any part of your post. You however have been dodging my questions about Wojo's contract extension that you claimed insider knowledge on.

Where you are wrong has zero to do with the NCAA rules HC. That part of your post is sound. And since you asked me to admit it, I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be an expert on NCAA rules. I refer to the likes of Jay Bee on that stuff. You just have the facts of this case wrong. It didn't play out the way you claim to "have verified facts from the MU athletic department." Wally 100% had a basketball scholarship if he wanted it. He chose not to.
Absolutely not true about the basketball scholarship. It was not renewed for a third year. Wally only had a track scholarship offered.  Wally's only option to play basketball was as a walk on which he was more than welcome to do. Ellenson family did not want to pay a years tuition for the privilege. That is why they were so bent out of shape. If you remember we were in the mist of recruiting the likes of LG Gill and Kalif Young and we needed to free up a scholarship. Markus reclassified and we signed Reinhardt. So the scholarship was needed. The bloom had not left the rose with Sandy and Traci yet. So Wally was the one.

Wally only had eligibility for the indoor track season left and that is the sport he walked away from, not basketball.

NCAA prohibits an athlete from participating in football or basketball if they have a scholarship in any other sport. This rule was put in place because Florida State was loading up their track scholarships with wide receivers from the football team in order to get around scholarships limits.  A kid who is on a football or basketball scholarship can do another sport. That is the loophole Wally fell under.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2018, 09:12:51 PM »
That sounds like a story very similar to Wojo's contract extension last season.
TAMU

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2018, 09:22:34 PM »
Thanks, brew, I didn't know that.

I missed one of the FS Wis games, didn't watch the second half of another ... plus I tend to put my hands over my face and peek between my fingers every time I see Sacar going up for a jumper! Kind of the way Cubbie fans used to watch when Dempster entered a game.

Yet you watch in awe and astonishment at a Harry 3 attempt.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »
Yet you watch in awe and astonishment at a Harry 3 attempt.

I do? Have you sat next to me when I watch a game?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2018, 10:57:32 PM »

Cain is 55.2% from three in Big East games.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2018, 11:11:29 PM »
Unleash Wally time?????????????? LEGGO. Please stop trying to spin it any other way. Wojo recruited Wally to get Henry, plain and simple he lied about not doing it. The moment Henry left for the pros Wojo burned the bridge and cut Wally to free up a scholarship. That he then failed to deliver on. Ironically Wally's athletic ability could have helped big time that year.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2018, 12:19:10 AM »
Unleash Wally time?????????????? LEGGO. Please stop trying to spin it any other way. Wojo recruited Wally to get Henry, plain and simple he lied about not doing it. The moment Henry left for the pros Wojo burned the bridge and cut Wally to free up a scholarship. That he then failed to deliver on. Ironically Wally's athletic ability could have helped big time that year.

The first 80% of your post could be true. No idea.

The last sentence, no chance. We were a tournament team last year and had depth 1-4 in our 4 guard offense. Wally wasn't playing ever.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2018, 08:15:53 AM »

But we wouldn't have had a scholarship to give Harry Froling.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2018, 10:41:30 AM »

Will be interesting to see what/if your name will be next season.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2018, 11:48:35 AM »
Absolutely not true about the basketball scholarship. It was not renewed for a third year. Wally only had a track scholarship offered.  Wally's only option to play basketball was as a walk on which he was more than welcome to do. Ellenson family did not want to pay a years tuition for the privilege. That is why they were so bent out of shape. If you remember we were in the mist of recruiting the likes of LG Gill and Kalif Young and we needed to free up a scholarship. Markus reclassified and we signed Reinhardt. So the scholarship was needed. The bloom had not left the rose with Sandy and Traci yet. So Wally was the one.

Wally only had eligibility for the indoor track season left and that is the sport he walked away from, not basketball.

NCAA prohibits an athlete from participating in football or basketball if they have a scholarship in any other sport. This rule was put in place because Florida State was loading up their track scholarships with wide receivers from the football team in order to get around scholarships limits.  A kid who is on a football or basketball scholarship can do another sport. That is the loophole Wally fell under.

Yes. Thank you for setting the record straight. TAMU brings good numbers analysis here, but contrary to his own belief, he does not always get the story correct as it relates to the behind the scenes, inner-workings of MU basketball.

It is what it is: We play the game just as cutthroat as other programs. Wojo is not running the choirboy program some want to assert (and personally I’m okay with that, but would like to see him be effective doing so, instead of taking swings and misses and in the process running off players who can contribute.)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2018, 12:05:34 PM »
Yes. Thank you for setting the record straight. TAMU brings good numbers analysis here, but contrary to his own belief, he does not always get the story correct as it relates to the behind the scenes, inner-workings of MU basketball.

Wait...but Herman does???

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2018, 12:34:21 PM »

I don't have any knowledge of the behind the scenes, inner-workings of MU Basketball. I'm just a down home lonesome cowboy (nod to Willie) here in College Station.

I just know Herman has repeatedly tried to pass fiction as "fact verified by the MU athletic department."

It is what it is: We play the game just as cutthroat as other programs. Wojo is not running the choirboy program some want to assert (and personally I’m okay with that, but would like to see him be effective doing so, instead of taking swings and misses and in the process running off players who can contribute.)

I also know that you (and others) are just speculating on this
TAMU