[Today at 08:39:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by MuMark
[Today at 04:27:23 PM]

High school kids by MUbiz
[Today at 04:25:04 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by rocky_warrior
[Today at 03:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Question JUCO  (Read 9259 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Question JUCO
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
I'll readily concede that the NCAA is hypocritical, too - thought that was a given. But in spite of hypocritical NCAA rules, did we ever miss the tournament because of our APR? Or was this just an excuse to change policy by our administration?

Lenny, I don't think I ever heard the administration cite ANY NCAA rule.  They simply thought it wasn't a good idea going forward after never (at least in many years) having experienced that issue before and not having a position on the matter.  They had a meeting (or series of meetings) and made a decision.  It was the culmination of a lengthy buildup given Buzz' pattern with JUCOs. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2017, 09:11:10 AM »
We didn't, but the postseason APR bans were a new thing. We saw Connecticut, a team in our league for years, get an APR ban and we were trending in the wrong direction.

I know there were some donors that didn't like Buzz's JUCO recruiting from the start and didn't like the perceived stigma attached, but I think the decision made by administration was correct and based not only on stigma but on the good of the program.

Can you remind me again how a non-qualifying JUCO clears the NCAA eligibility center? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »
Can you remind me again how a non-qualifying JUCO clears the NCAA eligibility center? 

They have to graduate from the JUCO.

The problem is that many graduate from a JUCO while majoring in PE.  Since Marquette doesn't offer the program, the PE credits will transfer as general credits but not toward specific requirements.

If they commit to MU early enough, like McKay did, MU can work with them on a plan while they are at the JUCO.  But this is the reason that Jae hasn't graduated and why it took awhile for Buycks.  DJO graduated right on time and JFB soon after his pro career started.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »

Jay Bee would have better knowledge than me ama I don't have time to research now, but I believe these are the key things:

The clearinghouse is only looking at eligibility. Do you have enough credits to be eligible with your class? So for Jae, it would've required (I believe) 48 credits. Because he wasted that first year, he had to make it all up as a sophomore. He did enough to get eligible, but once he arrives at Marquette it turns over from clearinghouse to APR.

Marquette requires 131 credits to graduate depending on his major. To get on track, Jae would've had to take 83 credits in two years while also playing basketball. It's virtually impossible. That's why many students take 5-6 years to graduate now, but the NCAA sticks to the 4 year expectation.

When you're at MU from the start, you need about 33 credits per year, which can be realistically attained with 13-15 credit semesters and a couple summer classes. But when you come in at the halfway mark and you're already 18 credits behind, that's really tough to make up.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »
They have to graduate from the JUCO.

The problem is that many graduate from a JUCO while majoring in PE.  Since Marquette doesn't offer the program, the PE credits will transfer as general credits but not toward specific requirements.

If they commit to MU early enough, like McKay did, MU can work with them on a plan while they are at the JUCO.  But this is the reason that Jae hasn't graduated and why it took awhile for Buycks.  DJO graduated right on time and JFB soon after his pro career started.

Here is what I dug up...it seems a lot more involved than your PE requirement specifications, although I am sure it has changed over time. Requirements in math, English and science. Progress toward a degree. Minimum GPA's of 2.5 in transferable credits.

https://www.msjc.edu/Athletics/StudentAthleteSupport/Documents/Transfer%20Tips-%20NCAA%20and%20NAIA.pdf

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »
And I believe the bans first became a regular thing around 2012, which was after Jae got here (UConn was the first big name). So timing wise, it all really kicked off and started to look like a major concern after Jae was already on campus.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »
Well correct. They have to be on track to graduate. All schools are going to have a minimum GPA eligibility to transfer from a juco.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
It's fine you disagree with the universities position, but comparing Henry's situation to the situation of a JUCO who it is literally impossible for them to graduate before their scholarship runs out is an apples to oranges comparison. One is the student's choice, the other the student has no choice.
I think under NCAA rules(I could be wrong) is that you have 6 years to graduate to not negatively effect the APR. I assume Crowder could of graduated with some kind of degree in that time. Of course like Ellenson he was not going to hang around long enough to actually graduate. The university's position is somewhat suspect. Both could of graduated within the allowable time and neither probably will because they can earn bug money playing pro ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2017, 03:41:12 PM »
I think under NCAA rules(I could be wrong) is that you have 6 years to graduate to not negatively effect the APR. I assume Crowder could of graduated with some kind of degree in that time. Of course like Ellenson he was not going to hang around long enough to actually graduate. The university's position is somewhat suspect. Both could of graduated within the allowable time and neither probably will because they can earn bug money playing pro ball.
Think Ellenson's situation is different if you get drafted. Don't know if I'm correct.
Goal is National Championship