[Today at 12:49:44 PM]

Media Rights Update by WhiteTrash
[Today at 12:32:13 PM]

Marquette Challenge announced by GoFastAndWin
[June 25, 2024, 10:25:36 PM]

High school kids by MUbiz
[June 25, 2024, 04:25:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette NBA Thread  (Read 513289 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Marquette NBA Thread
« Reply #2575 on: June 18, 2024, 08:33:40 AM »
Congratulations to Sam.  Congratulations to the Celtics.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #2576 on: June 18, 2024, 08:45:49 AM »
Absolutely he is. Too many people here blame him for Hausergate, when it was their idol Wojos responsibility. And plenty here stuck up for Wojo to the bitter end, offering the lame excuses why Wojo should be kept.(They know who they are, just wont admit it). Yet here we are, with Shaka, but unfortunately still paying Wojo, while Hauser is another former Warrior with an NBA ring.

nobody cares.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2577 on: June 18, 2024, 09:00:16 AM »
I will never understand people blaming Hauser for begging his coach to actually do his job. Wojo was an AWFUL coach.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #2578 on: June 18, 2024, 10:37:15 AM »
I will never understand people blaming Hauser for begging his coach to actually do his job. Wojo was an AWFUL coach.

This is it in a nutshell.  Those twisted over Hausers transfer were the prolific posters here on Scoop who swore for 5 Wojo was the goods.  Their pride won't allow them to place blame where it rightly belongs for the Hausers transfers - Wojo.  (Not Joey or Sam.)

We should be grateful the Hausers transferred as that definitely helped to put the nail in Wojo's coffin.  Highly likely had the Hausers not transferred, we never would have fired Wojo and gotten Shaka. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2579 on: June 18, 2024, 10:42:33 AM »
This is it in a nutshell.  Those twisted over Hausers transfer were the prolific posters here on Scoop who swore for 5 Wojo was the goods.  Their pride won't allow them to place blame where it rightly belongs for the Hausers transfers - Wojo.  (Not Joey or Sam.)

We should be grateful the Hausers transferred as that definitely helped to put the nail in Wojo's coffin.  Highly likely had the Hausers not transferred, we never would have fired Wojo and gotten Shaka. 

Who here said that Wojo deserved no blame for the Hauser transfers?

What's strange is that people still talk about them around here despite the fact that neither has anything to do with Marquette any longer. I know Herman is just trolling everyone, but its just really odd that others keep doing it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2580 on: June 18, 2024, 10:45:23 AM »
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2581 on: June 18, 2024, 10:47:05 AM »
Wrongo

The only people who care are Hauser-stans such as yourself. It's odd.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2582 on: June 18, 2024, 10:50:04 AM »

How dare you blaspheme those scoopers that made lame excuses to keep Wojo. Sounds like you care, but according to somebody above, "nobody cares". Looks like Sam has turned out well with his decision. Wish he would have stayed though to finish a pretty good college career.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2583 on: June 18, 2024, 10:53:40 AM »
I'm a huge UVA fan so I love Sam.  Loved he jumped on board after the Hoos won the national title and then led the Hoos to 0 NCAA Tournament wins.  He's an all timer at UVA, and at MU.  We should bow to him here for getting rid of Wojo, and we bow to him at UVA for continuing the legacy that Kyle Guy, De'Andre Hunter, Ty Jerome, Mamdi Diakite, Braxton Key, Kihei Clark, Jay Huff, and Jack Salt started.  Heck, he's right up there with Ralph Sampson.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2584 on: June 18, 2024, 11:07:01 AM »
The only people who care are Hauser-stans such as yourself. It's odd.
Wrong. But that is your MO. Wrong about everything. Guess we know where you came down on Wojo, although you would deny reality.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2585 on: June 18, 2024, 11:29:42 AM »
Wish he would have stayed though to finish a pretty good college career.

make up your mind

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2586 on: June 18, 2024, 11:31:35 AM »
What I don't get with the obsession with Sam and Joey is why it didn't seem like people were obsessing about the careers for Haanif, Jerome Maymonn, Trevor Mbakwe, Reggie smith, Jamal Ferguson, Erik Williams, Steve Taylor (outside of Herm), the list goes on and on.

what's different about these brothers that made a bunch of people obsessively latch onto them as still being MU guys but not those other transfers? Many of the guys defending Sam as 'forever an MU guy' wouldnt say that about Erik Williams or Steve Taylor and didn't give a damn about them after leaving.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2587 on: June 18, 2024, 11:42:06 AM »
What I don't get with the obsession with Sam and Joey is why it didn't seem like people were obsessing about the careers for Haanif, Jerome Maymonn, Trevor Mbakwe, Reggie smith, Jamal Ferguson, Erik Williams, Steve Taylor (outside of Herm), the list goes on and on.

what's different about these brothers that made a bunch of people obsessively latch onto them as still being MU guys but not those other transfers? Many of the guys defending Sam as 'forever an MU guy' wouldnt say that about Erik Williams or Steve Taylor and didn't give a damn about them after leaving.

I will tell you what's different in my observation.

1. We had a coach that not many people were satisfied with on the court (solidified the Wojo Shortcomings)
2. We lost someone who had scored as many points in an MU uniform as D Wade and J Butler (Embarrassing/Jilting)
3. It significantly diminished the prospects for the next season and was somewhat unprecedented for MU's past experience (Immediately Frustrating)

My personal opinion is that I was sad for Sam.  He had already built a legacy and would have been celebrated at MU in a similar light as a Novak, Diener or the like.  There is no way he is seen in that light if he comes back to an MU game after the above.  It probably didnt matter to him at the time doesnt matter today with the Celtics.  But it something I'd imagine it he may miss someday - but that is the consequence of his choice.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 11:52:36 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #2588 on: June 18, 2024, 11:44:08 AM »

Sam was good and for the most part those guys sucked (other than Maymon and Mbakwe)
Bring back FFP!!!

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2589 on: June 18, 2024, 11:50:44 AM »

They play the game the right way.  They understand the game, which there is no better evidence of than getting away from Wojo (but nobody wants to talk about being dumb enough to commit 2 kids to him in the first place...), and this resulted in Wojo being fired by MU.  We owe them our entire program.

Oh, and they're white.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2590 on: June 18, 2024, 12:13:36 PM »
I liked Sam. He was a solid player on our team for three years. For me personally, he built up enough capital that I still liked him "well enough" after he left. I wouldn't say that I root for him, but if I see that something good happens to him -- such as winning an NBA championship -- my general attitude is "good for him." I actively root for most other MU guys and am much more enthusiastic if they do well.

Joey, on the other hand...well he didn't build up the capital that Sam did. I wouldn't say that I actively root against him...well...actually...yes, I kind of do root against him.

Edited to add: I have similar generally positive feelings for a number of guys who put in several years at MU -- Greg Elliott, Jamal Cain, Theo John, etc.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 12:16:21 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #2591 on: June 18, 2024, 12:18:40 PM »
I would’ve bailed on Wojo, too. No hate for Sam.
No Finish Line

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2592 on: June 18, 2024, 12:20:55 PM »
Edited to add: I have similar generally positive feelings for a number of guys who put in several years at MU -- Greg Elliott, Jamal Cain, Theo John, etc.

To be fair these three are all MU grads like most of this board, and like many on here with post grad degrees they chose to go elsewhere for post grad.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2593 on: June 18, 2024, 12:43:41 PM »
To be fair these three are all MU grads like most of this board, and like many on here with post grad degrees they chose to go elsewhere for post grad.
For many on here I think the fact Sam is a white guy from Wisconsin plays a big part in the obsession.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2594 on: June 18, 2024, 12:46:11 PM »
Galway

Sam was a three year guy at MU and a very highly regarded player. The other guys really are not great comps because they did not have the three career that Sam did. If TK, Kam or Oso had transferred after last season to get a big payday, I would have been cheering for them and hoping they would have bigger paydays in the future. I think Sam and Kam is a good comparison.

bias
Seriously?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2595 on: June 18, 2024, 12:58:45 PM »
Very few transfers we have lost transfer up or even transfer even.

Sam going to a ACC power and then making the NBA puts him on a level that even Mbakwe can't touch.  Throw in the Markus and Wojo dynamics and that's why people still talk about him.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2596 on: June 18, 2024, 01:41:02 PM »
Galway

Sam was a three year guy at MU and a very highly regarded player. The other guys really are not great comps because they did not have the three career that Sam did. If TK, Kam or Oso had transferred after last season to get a big payday, I would have been cheering for them and hoping they would have bigger paydays in the future. I think Sam and Kam is a good comparison.

Hmm to me the success is irrelevant if it about him being a forever MU guy.

Personally I've never rooted for a girl I've dated to "go get it" after we broke up, and certainly not for the ones that I dated for long periods of time. Apathetic to mildly pleased their life wasn't destroyed sure. I view it the same with transfers, had a relationship (representing MU) but my rooting for them was predicated on said relationship. If that ends, then they're just a face in a crowd to which I'm apathetic toward that doesn't change whether the majority of that relationship was successful (Sam) or not (Erik Williams)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2597 on: June 18, 2024, 01:46:11 PM »
Quote from: NickelDimer link=topic=54637.msg1664011#msg1664011 [b
[/b]date=1718731120]
I would’ve bailed on Wojo, too. No hate for Sam.

Yep.  No hate for Sam.  I was happy for him last night.  He represented MU well right up until he quit the team.  Its a shame he is a man without a true CBB home to come back to.  Quitting on the team was a double edged sword for him and for us.  Hard for MU to recognize him in any way shape or form officially given the way things went down at the time. 

I think over time if Sam shows interest in Maquette (participates in golf outings, shows up at the Al, etc.) he could/would be brought back into the fold. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2598 on: June 18, 2024, 01:46:53 PM »
galway

That is what make America great, we can have different opinions. I would love to have Sam back in the fold and helping with recruiting.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2599 on: June 18, 2024, 01:55:03 PM »
galway

That is what make America great, we can have different opinions. I would love to have Sam back in the fold and helping with recruiting.
Differing opinion. Having Sam in good graces would not affect recruiting. What do you tell the recruit, come here, and you can be just like Sam? Stay for 3, then transfer. Sam doesn't need to be part of a recruiting pitch.

feedback