'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Did we underperform? by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 04:30:09 AM]

[Paint Touches] The BEast’s new $480 Million TV deal is a huge win by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:58:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by MuMark
[June 29, 2024, 07:33:10 PM]

Media Rights Update by Nukem2
[June 29, 2024, 07:05:07 PM]

John Glaser by MUUWUWM
[June 29, 2024, 11:16:31 AM]

Kam is the Man by We R Final Four
[June 28, 2024, 10:17:17 PM]

Go Oso by THRILLHO
[June 28, 2024, 08:25:58 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 2127594 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #12150 on: June 27, 2024, 10:39:52 AM »
Can someone explain the last sentence to me concerning the ESPY awards?

It was also announced Thursday that University of South Carolina women's basketball coach Dawn Staley will receive the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance and Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, will receive the Pat Tillman Award for Service.

The award is 'given to a person with a strong connection to sports who has served others in a way that echoes the legacy of the former NFL player and U.S. Army Ranger, Pat Tillman,' according to ESPN.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12151 on: June 27, 2024, 12:37:35 PM »
I had a very pleasant experience at the post office today. The attendant was nice and the service was quick.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12152 on: June 27, 2024, 03:54:58 PM »
I had a very pleasant experience at the post office today. The attendant was nice and the service was quick.
Love my small town post office. The postmaster is the only employee. If you forget your PO box key, she just pulls the mailout of it and gives it to you. No ID required.
Have some patience, FFS.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12153 on: June 27, 2024, 04:10:26 PM »
Love my small town post office. The postmaster is the only employee. If you forget your PO box key, she just pulls the mailout of it and gives it to you. No ID required.

My family had a summer cottage on one of the Lake Erie islands and the mail plane, a Ford trimotor, delivered a sack of mail every morning. The postmistress (only employee) would read the postcards that people got from friends and family and comment on the postcards and whatever was written on them before handing them to the addressee. She did not open sealed envelopes but would ask who the letters were from.

She closed up the PO in the early afternoon, apparently thinking that you had your chance to collect your mail and there was no reason she should have to hang around for late comers.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12154 on: June 27, 2024, 04:11:43 PM »
My family had a summer cottage on one of the Lake Erie islands and the mail plane, a Ford trimotor, delivered a sack of mail every morning. The postmistress (only employee) would read the postcards that people got from friends and family and comment on the postcards and whatever was written on them before handing them to the addressee. She did not open sealed envelopes but would ask who the letters were from.

She closed up the PO in the early afternoon, apparently thinking that you had your chance to collect your mail and there was no reason she should have to hang around for late comers.

Wow, what was the Great Depression like?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12155 on: June 27, 2024, 04:27:56 PM »
Wow, what was the Great Depression like?

Ha! Island Airlines used to advertise itself as "The World's Shortest Airline". They had 2 Ford Trimotors, and I flew in them occasionally. The original seats were long gone, so they bolted old school desk chairs to the floor. One of the planes crashed landed when a dumb ass airport employee put the wrong fuel in it and the engine stalled shortly after takeoff. No serious injury to the passengers, but the plane was done for. The other might be still operating for super short, tourist flights. That's how it was used about 20 years ago.

Edit: The Trimotor was perfect for short runways, and on one of the other islands it just barely got airborne before running out of runway. The next thing was Lake Erie. That was always scary. On our island, there were signs alongside of the main road warning drivers to yield to "low-flying" planes that were taking off or landing, as they crossed over the road. They were usually just high enough to clear a car, but why take the chance?  Once during an emergency medical situation that required getting a person off the island at night, the islanders drove down to the gravel airstrip and lined up their cars so that a pilot could land and take off again, since the airstrip was not lit.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 04:50:33 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12156 on: June 27, 2024, 05:29:42 PM »
Ha! Island Airlines used to advertise itself as "The World's Shortest Airline". They had 2 Ford Trimotors, and I flew in them occasionally. The original seats were long gone, so they bolted old school desk chairs to the floor. One of the planes crashed landed when a dumb ass airport employee put the wrong fuel in it and the engine stalled shortly after takeoff. No serious injury to the passengers, but the plane was done for. The other might be still operating for super short, tourist flights. That's how it was used about 20 years ago.

Edit: The Trimotor was perfect for short runways, and on one of the other islands it just barely got airborne before running out of runway. The next thing was Lake Erie. That was always scary. On our island, there were signs alongside of the main road warning drivers to yield to "low-flying" planes that were taking off or landing, as they crossed over the road. They were usually just high enough to clear a car, but why take the chance?  Once during an emergency medical situation that required getting a person off the island at night, the islanders drove down to the gravel airstrip and lined up their cars so that a pilot could land and take off again, since the airstrip was not lit.

If you're interested you can still go for a ride in a Ford Tri-motor at the EAA every year.  I can't believe anyone that has flown in it can hear anything.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12157 on: June 27, 2024, 05:52:48 PM »
If you're interested you can still go for a ride in a Ford Tri-motor at the EAA every year.  I can't believe anyone that has flown in it can hear anything.

Eh? EH?

The other plane that I flew in a couple of times was a DeHavilland Beaver. I believe they are still in use today in the wilderness areas of Alaska and Canada. Once I was sandwiched between 2 "super-sized" guys in the rear seat. The pilot had a leather helmet. Nice touch! Just before takeoff, I asked him when breakfast would be served. He quickly replied, "right after the movie".

The island was quite an experience. There was a one room schoolhouse, and the teacher taught 1-8. She received a principal's salary and her commercial fisherman husband received a salary as the Superintendent of the district. I think he had only an 8th grade education. For High School, the kids took a Trimotor ride daily to a larger island. The Road Commissioner spread about 70- 80% of the annual gravel allotment from the county on the road that led to his house. The postmistress was also entitled to a certain minimum salary as head of the PO. If there had been an island law firm, it would have been appropriately named Dewey Cheatham and Howe.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 06:11:04 PM by Scoop Snoop »

feedback