[September 20, 2024, 07:45:48 PM]

Big East 2024 -25 Results by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 06:05:27 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[September 20, 2024, 12:31:28 PM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 08:52:59 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Should Katin Reinhardt start?  (Read 6632 times)

denverMU

• All American
Should Katin Reinhardt start?
« on: January 22, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »
I think he should.  I'll admit, at first, I was not a big fan. Since, his return from injury, he has played extremely well.  I like his heart and grit.  He could be the leader this team needs.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:54:15 PM by denverMU »

DJO's Jaw

• All American
Re: Should Katie Reinhardt start?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 04:38:22 PM »
It might help protect Hauser from early fouls. I don't really think switching up our starting lineup is necessary, but I wouldn't be mad if Katin started.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »
As long as he's getting 25+ mpg (which he did the past 6 games), I don't really care.

EDIT: And who's Katie Reinhardt? Is that Katin's sister?  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »
Who does he replace?  It seems he has found a comfort zone and is getting minutes. No need to change what seems to be working.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
Who?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »
He is getting his minutes and the offense is clicking.    So, my question is, in place of whom?   I don't see that JjJ, HC, or Sam would be better off of the bench.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 04:53:19 PM »
Katin, damn spell check! I would have him replace Huaser and take some pressure off the Freshman.

tower912

• All American
Re: Should Katin Reinhardt start?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 05:00:07 PM »
He would be my third choice.   MU needs to preserve the illusion of size.    If I had to choose (and I like things the way they are), I would replace JjJ.   HC needs to play big minutes for his defense.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »
I think one of Wojo's strongest points as a coach is his willingness to ride a hot hand - so who starts really doesn't matter. Play well, minutes increase. Play poorly, bench time increases - at least for that game. I like that.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 05:10:43 PM »
I think one of Wojo's strongest points as a coach is his willingness to ride a hot hand - so who starts really doesn't matter. Play well, minutes increase. Play poorly, bench time increases - at least for that game. I like that.

Sounds like an in-game adjustment to me. Certainly something Wojo is not capable of

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »
Maybe down the road if the shots stop falling and Wojo needs to change things up.  But for the time being, I think Katin coming off the bench as the most experienced player on the team is a nice setup. If the team gets blitzed early, he can come in to calm things down. And with JjJ and Fischer already not around next year, I think it helps a bit psychologically to project the consistency of starting Howard, Cheatham and Hauser now and into the future.  I don't think the marginal benefit of starting Katin over Cheatham or Hauser, only to then start both of those guys again next year - is worth it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 05:31:04 PM »
No. Katin's run has been with him coming off the bench. You don't mess with a good thing.

Starting is overrated. Katin is getting plenty of minutes. That's what matters.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 06:00:09 PM »
All good points, just seems like Sam has hit a wall. Thought it might take some pressure off him. Mainly I just love the heart and leadership Katin has shown since recovering from his injury.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »
No. Come off the bench. He's been great. He is an awesome catalyst off the bench. He, rowsey, heldt and Duane have been amazing off the bench.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 06:54:04 PM »
Sam is a better defensive rebounder.  Sub or start for JjJ.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 06:57:46 PM »
Sam is a better defensive rebounder.  Sub or start for JjJ.

No way, outside of Howard, JJJ is the only person that can get to the rim consistently. Need the drive and kick for our offense.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 07:16:36 PM »
No. Katin's run has been with him coming off the bench. You don't mess with a good thing.

Starting is overrated. Katin is getting plenty of minutes. That's what matters.

I agree. Based on maintaining good size, Katin would be a better replacement for JJJ.  JJJ has a fragile ego, in my opinion, and replacing him in the starting lineup would not be helpful overall.  Leave it as it is, bring KR off the bench for either JJJ or Hauser and make sure he gets plenty of minutes.

win win win.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 07:19:53 PM »
The rotation is working very well. Would not change things up.
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »

Agreed. Things are trending in the right direction. Moving a starter now would be overthinking the issue (is there really an issue?) especially considering Wojo has been consistent with his hot hand philosophy.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 07:50:17 PM »
Starting no matta.

Katin played a team high 34 minutes against Creighton.  It's not who starts but who finishes.

I like Katin's versatility off the bench.  He can for for Sam, Jajuan, or Cheatham.  Foul trouble and poor play determines who goes to the bench first.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »
All good points, just seems like Sam has hit a wall. Thought it might take some pressure off him. Mainly I just love the heart and leadership Katin has shown since recovering from his injury.

What wall has Sam hit?  He's been in double figures in 8 of our last 11 games and each of our last 2 games.  And in 1 of the 3 games he didn't score in double figures he had 9 boards, 3 blocks, and played some outstanding defense (beyond the blocks).  He's been great for a freshman.

Katin is a spark off the bench.  I like where he's at.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »
I like another defensive rebounder on the floor to start the game.. 18.2% for Sam vs. (a career-high) 8.8% for Katin. Personal preference, perhaps?

The other thing is %Shots... Sam is now more in the role (this will change over time) where he's a lower-volume shooter... will make you pay if you leave him alone... Katin still more of a guy with a quicker trigger.. JjJ and Markus start... Markus is the conference's top %Shots guy... adding Katin can be a conflict.. like to start off with Sam for that reason as well..
The FBI screwed up in Butler, PA.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 08:14:29 PM »
From what I gather, it seems like Sam has a very similar role to Novak in his freshman year. Wasn't paying attention to MUBB aback then so any truth to that comparison?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 08:19:36 PM »
From what I gather, it seems like Sam has a very similar role to Novak in his freshman year. Wasn't paying attention to MUBB aback then so any truth to that comparison?

Statistically, there are a ton of similarities.. same profile.. biggest different is defensive rebounding. Novak not good, Hauser making a nice contribution. More than 80% of Novak's shots were 3-point attempts.. Sam's at 70%.. but, Sam is a guy where you could see that drop quite a bit over the years.. far more versatile game, but the statistical profile comparison for this season.. yeah, a lot of similarities
The FBI screwed up in Butler, PA.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »

Like JB said similar, but Novak was one-dimensional. Hauser has much better handle and can be used in a larger effort than catch and shoot.

feedback