[Today at 06:44:09 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 03:08:45 PM]

Oso Article by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:31:08 AM]

More conference realignment talk by WhiteTrash
[June 21, 2024, 09:02:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Warriors vs Cavaliers II  (Read 24778 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Warriors vs Cavaliers II
« Reply #375 on: June 14, 2016, 07:49:29 PM »
We're the only "friends" he's got - even though most of us can't stand the guy.

What a life >:(

You forgot Tom and Joani....

Really?  Just Tom and Joani?  The guy's got a longer list of celeb buddies than Heisey has clicks!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Halibut

• Walk-On
« Reply #376 on: June 14, 2016, 08:42:19 PM »
This is fantastic.

If Chicos was really banned, then I am in on the fun, too.   This is my new shadow username in brotherhood with him.  If it drives a handful of lib members here crazy, then all the better. 

I may do this 4 or 5 times.   

Keep it going Chicos.  Recruiting a few others here to do the same.  Anonymous servers are easy. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #377 on: June 14, 2016, 09:20:16 PM »
This is fantastic.

If Chicos was really banned, then I am in on the fun, too.   This is my new shadow username in brotherhood with him.  If it drives a handful of lib members here crazy, then all the better. 

I may do this 4 or 5 times.   

Keep it going Chicos.  Recruiting a few others here to do the same.  Anonymous servers are easy.

Lololololol. He's creating his own fan club now!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #378 on: June 14, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »
He's his biggest (only) fan.

How sad.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #379 on: June 14, 2016, 09:48:55 PM »
++ Curry has been pretty bad (by his standards). He had one great game, a couple pedestrian games and a couple awful games. If LeBron had a similar stretch in the Finals, he'd be getting killed by the media. Everybody loves Steph.

Steph is loved, and he's not been good by his standards, but I think Lebron gets killed cause when he plays bad, he's too in love with one part of his game.  Steph is the best shooter ever, but he's still a shooter, so when he's cold, and he's getting hammered in the paint like he has in the playoffs, he's gonna struggle to score.  Lebron is always the most athletic player on the floor with a size advantage over most everyone who guards him.  His bad stretches are when he falls in love with his inconsistent jumper, or refuses to get into the post.  Also the ball still will stay in his hands.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #380 on: June 15, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »
What the hell is going on in here?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #381 on: June 15, 2016, 09:00:42 AM »
Steph is loved, and he's not been good by his standards, but I think Lebron gets killed cause when he plays bad, he's too in love with one part of his game.  Steph is the best shooter ever, but he's still a shooter, so when he's cold, and he's getting hammered in the paint like he has in the playoffs, he's gonna struggle to score.  Lebron is always the most athletic player on the floor with a size advantage over most everyone who guards him.  His bad stretches are when he falls in love with his inconsistent jumper, or refuses to get into the post.  Also the ball still will stay in his hands.

Bottom line, LBJ is a physical freak that the common person can't relate to what he can do. Steph(fair or not) represents a player that is perceived to be more about practice/hard work than a gift.

It is almost literally a David vs Goliath complex within the sports fan psyche
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #382 on: June 15, 2016, 09:35:26 AM »

Bottom line, LBJ is a physical freak that the common person can't relate to what he can do. Steph(fair or not) represents a player that is perceived to be more about practice/hard work than a gift.

Do people think a legitimate argument can be made that lebron has underachieved in his career relative to what his genetics/biology dictate? Does his physical make-up alone give enough of an advantage that, if his basketball talent were good enough, he should be the best ever?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #383 on: June 15, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »
Do people think a legitimate argument can be made that lebron has underachieved in his career relative to what his genetics/biology dictate? Does his physical make-up alone give enough of an advantage that, if his basketball talent were good enough, he should be the best ever?

Indeed, I believe many people do think that. Those people need a lobotomy.

There have been plenty of athletic "freaks" in all sports who have failed to even come close to realizing their potential.

Through hard work, determination, intelligence and development of his physical skills, LeBron has had an amazing career.

I do agree with mu03 that Steph is viewed as more of an "everyman." He is about the same size as my son, so I could (if I were dopey) say, "If only my son had worked as hard, he might be in the NBA now, just like Steph." But there is nothing my son could have done to be LeBron.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #384 on: June 15, 2016, 10:29:52 AM »

People think and legitimate argument colliding in that sentence makes my head hurt....but ultimately yes, I think the casual/majority sports fan looks at Lebron and says "well no kidding he's this good, look at him." They don't have an appreciation for the way LBJ has changed/adapted his talent for the game/way he is defended.

The general fan doesn't understand that he developed a post up game later in his career to counter defenses putting quick guards on him or that his 2pt% right now is insane and should be talking about in the same way we talk about Steph or Klay's 3pt. These concepts are hard to divorce from his very clear physical gifts and the era of basketball he played in.

To the casual fan Steph doesn't seem to have any inherent talent, it's all "earned" which means they are much more drawn to it then someone like LBJ who is "just a physical gift guy"

This is part of why the best ever discussion is stupid and can't actually be settled. Take just the technology of today versus even the Bird era. Bird physically broke down and that ended his career. What if he had modern medicine, sports science, training programs, and travel capabilities.....does he break down as rapidly or is his prime as short as it is? How do you account for that disparity when you compare eras and/or players. There is no doubt that LBJ has been blessed with a body that doesn't apparently injure or wear down easily(he also works at that but I digress). Should he get credit because he can stay on the court more than other superstars and so has more opportunity to be great?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:31:40 AM by mu03eng »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brandx

« Reply #385 on: June 15, 2016, 09:59:08 PM »
Indeed, I believe many people do think that. Those people need a lobotomy.

There have been plenty of athletic "freaks" in all sports who have failed to even come close to realizing their potential.

Through hard work, determination, intelligence and development of his physical skills, LeBron has had an amazing career.

I do agree with mu03 that Steph is viewed as more of an "everyman." He is about the same size as my son, so I could (if I were dopey) say, "If only my son had worked as hard, he might be in the NBA now, just like Steph." But there is nothing my son could have done to be LeBron.

I'm guessing if you asked people who has worked harder to get where they are - Steph or Lebron - a large majority would say Steph.

And they would say so because they see Lebron as a physical freak. But, let's not fool ourselves about Curry. He is a physical freak as well, though it isn't quite as obvious. A normal person does not possess that type of quickness nor can they work enough to ever acquire it.

Like your son, I was about the same size as Steph - 6'2", 175. I could have worked out 10 hours a day and never even come close to possessing Curry's physical skills.

My guess is that both of these guys spent more time honing their skills than any of us on the board here spent on learning our profesions. Being a naturally gifted athlete and being a great player are nowhere close to being the same thing.

I think Artie Green and Earl Tatum were the two most gifted "athletes" ever at MU. Neither was anywhere close to being the best basketball player here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #386 on: June 15, 2016, 10:24:35 PM »
I'm guessing if you asked people who has worked harder to get where they are - Steph or Lebron - a large majority would say Steph.

And they would say so because they see Lebron as a physical freak. But, let's not fool ourselves about Curry. He is a physical freak as well, though it isn't quite as obvious. A normal person does not possess that type of quickness nor can they work enough to ever acquire it.

Like your son, I was about the same size as Steph - 6'2", 175. I could have worked out 10 hours a day and never even come close to possessing Curry's physical skills.

My guess is that both of these guys spent more time honing their skills than any of us on the board here spent on learning our profesions. Being a naturally gifted athlete and being a great player are nowhere close to being the same thing.

I think Artie Green and Earl Tatum were the two most gifted "athletes" ever at MU. Neither was anywhere close to being the best basketball player here.

All great points, brand.

And nobody has mentioned the tremendous advantages Steph had growing up. His parents were wealthy. He attended great schools. He got to tag along with his dad, who was an outstanding NBA player. He had a brother who was almost as good as he was, testing him and competing with him. He had top-notch coaching, starting right in his own family.

LeBron had none of those family or financial advantages. By the time he was a teenager, he did have benefactors and others "helping" him. Some were good, some less so.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #387 on: June 16, 2016, 12:32:15 PM »
All great points, brand.

And nobody has mentioned the tremendous advantages Steph had growing up. His parents were wealthy. He attended great schools. He got to tag along with his dad, who was an outstanding NBA player. He had a brother who was almost as good as he was, testing him and competing with him. He had top-notch coaching, starting right in his own family.

LeBron had none of those family or financial advantages. By the time he was a teenager, he did have benefactors and others "helping" him. Some were good, some less so.

A micropoint but Bill Simmons (whos played a lot of pick-up basketball) once talked about how hard it was to shoot in an NBA arena because of the depth perception, optics, glass backboards, etc. A lot of players get that experience starting in college but not universally....Steph has had it nearly his whole life, that is an advantage 99% of players don't have.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #388 on: June 16, 2016, 01:45:45 PM »
A micropoint but Bill Simmons (whos played a lot of pick-up basketball) once talked about how hard it was to shoot in an NBA arena because of the depth perception, optics, glass backboards, etc. A lot of players get that experience starting in college but not universally....Steph has had it nearly his whole life, that is an advantage 99% of players don't have.

Klay too.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #389 on: June 16, 2016, 04:30:47 PM »
People think and legitimate argument colliding in that sentence makes my head hurt....but ultimately yes, I think the casual/majority sports fan looks at Lebron and says "well no kidding he's this good, look at him." They don't have an appreciation for the way LBJ has changed/adapted his talent for the game/way he is defended.

The general fan doesn't understand that he developed a post up game later in his career to counter defenses putting quick guards on him or that his 2pt% right now is insane and should be talking about in the same way we talk about Steph or Klay's 3pt. These concepts are hard to divorce from his very clear physical gifts and the era of basketball he played in.

To the casual fan Steph doesn't seem to have any inherent talent, it's all "earned" which means they are much more drawn to it then someone like LBJ who is "just a physical gift guy"

This is part of why the best ever discussion is stupid and can't actually be settled. Take just the technology of today versus even the Bird era. Bird physically broke down and that ended his career. What if he had modern medicine, sports science, training programs, and travel capabilities.....does he break down as rapidly or is his prime as short as it is? How do you account for that disparity when you compare eras and/or players. There is no doubt that LBJ has been blessed with a body that doesn't apparently injure or wear down easily(he also works at that but I digress). Should he get credit because he can stay on the court more than other superstars and so has more opportunity to be great?
Lebron worked incredibly hard to develop his skills  and his body. I think he has earned everything he has achieved. It is hard for the average person to relate to Lebron because his sheer physical presence is so amazing. I think sometimes that overshadows how hard he worked.

Likewise, Steph has spent hours developing the ability to have a quick step and quick release long range jump shot. The common man can relate to Steph much more because everyone who follows  has seen a kid( or had one in the family) who has some of his qualities. Obviously, he has combined the speed and quickness with shooting in a way that few have ever done.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #390 on: June 16, 2016, 08:05:42 PM »
That was kinda cool

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #391 on: June 16, 2016, 08:38:06 PM »
Will the arse whippin continue?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #392 on: June 16, 2016, 08:44:25 PM »
Why can't we all be friends, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #393 on: June 16, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »
Curry fouls out for the first time in 3 years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #394 on: June 16, 2016, 10:38:56 PM »
Game 7. Cavs have momentum and Warriors demeanor is pretty sucky. But the home court is going to be the difference IMO.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #395 on: June 16, 2016, 10:40:55 PM »
Curry fouls out for the first time in 3 years.

Too many dumb fouls. If the cavs are going to pick and rolls James onto him, he has to save them for that and stop grabbing guys off picks.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #396 on: June 16, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »
Also, say what you want about Love, but the dude is a great teammate.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #397 on: June 16, 2016, 10:43:57 PM »
Too many dumb fouls. If the cavs are going to pick and rolls James onto him, he has to save them for that and stop grabbing guys off picks.

The last 3 were not fouls and the announcers said so.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #398 on: June 16, 2016, 10:47:21 PM »
The last 3 were not fouls and the announcers said so.

::)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #399 on: June 16, 2016, 11:55:01 PM »
I'm starting to think Doc 4Never's boy could outperform Harrison Barnes, bad wheel and all, ai'na?

feedback