[September 27, 2024, 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[September 27, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 9/15/24  (Read 9538501 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Recruiting as of 12/15/16
« Reply #5150 on: January 05, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »
I used ta work wit Helen Bedd, hey?

I remember her.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #5151 on: January 05, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
If Froling were to come, that gives MU Heldt, Froling, John, and Eke, none of whom project as a stretch 4.    I am OK with Sam and Cain playing the 3 and Haanif playing the two.    However, this would be the end of the 4-out/1-in offense.   Also, another situation like Luke's, where MU only gets 2.5 years (at best) from him.    I'm conflicted.

I'm not saying Froling is going to turn this program around.  Just saying he fits a need MU doesn't have going into next year and that's someone who can score inside and also go outside a little. 

As far as the stretch 4, a year from now Marquette will be in the recruiting hunt for one of the best 4's or combo forwards in the 2018 class in Joey Hauser.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5152 on: January 05, 2017, 12:21:18 PM »
It'll be interesting to know what Wojo wants him to do.  We know Matty will not be asked to shoot from the outside at all.  I really think they can split the 5 or maybe a kid like Froling plays the 4 while one of the new Frosh gets 5 minutes subbing for Heldt.

Nice problem to have. Love to add a big kid that will have played/practiced at the D1 level for 18 months before we need him on the court.  Little thin on that front right now.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5153 on: January 05, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
Excuse me?  I'm confident I've never referred to him that way and if I ever did it would be strictly in reference to his age.  Aclown.

Not surprising since you grew up on Milwaukee's south side in da 60's, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #5154 on: January 05, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »
Olgun Uluc ‏@OlgunUluc  9h9 hours ago
SMU transfer, Harry Froling, will visit Marquette on Sunday, per a source. He will no longer visit Dayton

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5155 on: January 05, 2017, 01:13:51 PM »
It'll be interesting to know what Wojo wants him to do.  We know Matty will not be asked to shoot from the outside at all.  I really think they can split the 5 or maybe a kid like Froling plays the 4 while one of the new Frosh gets 5 minutes subbing for Heldt.

Nice problem to have. Love to add a big kid that will have played/practiced at the D1 level for 18 months before we need him on the court.  Little thin on that front right now.

Honestly I was under the impression that Wojo was having Heldt work on his outside shot so that he would at least be a threat/concern in shooting the 3 or 17-footer.  Thought I remember Heldt/Wojo commenting on this last summer.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5156 on: January 05, 2017, 01:16:48 PM »
He certainly has the size.   Left SMU after not getting enough PT as a frosh.    Will he, in a year, be better than Heldt, John, Eke?   Or would he just be another big body?

I think Wojo could sell this point pretty easily. On paper he certainly seems better than Heldt. He has better stats, on a better team, and is a year younger. John and Eke are interiors bangers while Froling is more of stretch 4.  He could theoretically play alongside Hauser who can be a three or even two if necessary.

I think it will come down to us and playing overseas.

I gotta good feeling.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:25:48 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5157 on: January 05, 2017, 01:20:36 PM »
All the questions I have with Froling come down to effort. If the kid commits to getting into shape and playing defense, I'm all in favor. We could use the physical presence and he's probably the closest thing to a stretch 4 we are looking at. From a raw talent perspective, he could be an absolute home run. There have been NBA whispers since he was first discovered.

But man...lots of effort questions at SMU. Sounds like he already has his eyes on playing professionally, and part of his return to Australia over the holidays was to look into pro options over there in addition to the possibility of a transfer. I think the staff definitely needs to do their due diligence to make sure he's committed to working every day.

On paper, the kid virtually completes us for next year. Looking at the rotation potentially come December we'd go 3-4 deep at each position, even if we redshirted Eke...

PG - Howard, Rowsey, Duane
SG - Cheatham, Duane, Anim
SF - Hauser, Duane, Anim, Cain
PF - Froling, John, Hauser, Cain
C - Heldt, John, Eke, Froling

Also saw that he plans to make his decision by January 10, or at least that was the plan before cancelling on Dayton. My guess right now is he will visit us the 8th-9th and either pull the trigger on the visit or the day after. Think that him and Elliott will complete our recruiting until grad transfer time.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5158 on: January 05, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »
Also saw that he plans to make his decision by January 10, or at least that was the plan before cancelling on Dayton. My guess right now is he will visit us the 8th-9th and either pull the trigger on the visit or the day after. Think that him and Elliott will complete our recruiting until grad transfer time.

I'm not sure on the rules, but if he has to commit before the second semester starts, than it is not looking good for Oregon State. Their second semester starts January 9th. Unless Froling visits us and announces as soon as he gets home, he'll miss the deadline for the Beavers. I think it is us or going pro overseas.

Gotta think seeing Henry be successful here helps a 6"11 stretch four consider Marquette.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5159 on: January 05, 2017, 01:30:54 PM »
I'm not sure on the rules, but if he has to commit before the second semester starts, than it is not looking good for Oregon State. Their second semester starts January 9th. Unless Froling visits us and announces as soon as he gets home, he'll miss the deadline for the Beavers. I think it is us or going pro overseas.

Froling already visited OSU on December 21-22.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5160 on: January 05, 2017, 01:31:22 PM »
The questions about his defensive effort and conditioning have been there before he got to SMU.

Hard to put my finger on it, but I just don't have a good feeling about this one.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5161 on: January 05, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »
Never wanna miss any deadline for da Beavers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5162 on: January 05, 2017, 01:57:32 PM »
Froling already visited OSU on December 21-22.

I know. School starts for OSU while he is visiting Marquette. I'm not sure what the rules are but if he has to be enrolled before schools starts than he would need to commit to OSU while he's on Marquette's campus. If the rule is that he can commit on the first day of school he would have to do it during or right after his visit.

This of course is assuming there actually is a rule like this. I thought there was but am often wrong on NCAA rules.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5163 on: January 05, 2017, 02:00:20 PM »
If he doesn't work hard enough he rides the bench.  No harm really.  High risk, low reward.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5164 on: January 05, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
I know. School starts for OSU while he is visiting Marquette. I'm not sure what the rules are but if he has to be enrolled before schools starts than he would need to commit to OSU while he's on Marquette's campus. If the rule is that he can commit on the first day of school he would have to do it during or right after his visit.

This of course is assuming there actually is a rule like this. I thought there was but am often wrong on NCAA rules.

In any event, seems like good news when he cancels one visits, and visits MU on the day before school starts at the other school he is looking at.  I think you're onto something when you say its either MU or pro somewhere. 

Listening to his interview before SMU and his quotes in that recent article, it seems to me the kid knows he needs to get in shape, and he probably knows a year of practice and training is in his best interest.  I think we're in a pretty great position with him.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #5165 on: January 05, 2017, 02:05:24 PM »
If he doesn't work hard enough he rides the bench.  No harm really.  High risk, low reward.

Exactly, then he can transfer again.  After looking how Todd Smith has changed Heldt and the rest, it will be hard for him not to improve his body.    If he does not
want to work hard at his craft, the bench is fine place to watch the game from.  I would not expect big numbers after he misses the first semester next year anyway.
15-20 minutes tops, unless he works his butt off and gets in great shape, then who knows.  Worth the risk.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5166 on: January 05, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »

Maybe I'm not following but why would he be a high risk?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5167 on: January 05, 2017, 02:08:53 PM »

I think that rule actually does exist.  Now realizing that MU allows any student to add/drop/substitute classes during the first week without any penalty I suspect there is a little wiggle room, but not much.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #5168 on: January 05, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »

Agree, he will work or won't play for Wojo!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5169 on: January 05, 2017, 02:10:15 PM »

My guess is that he can enroll after the first day the semester starts.  For as long as the school allows you to enroll.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5170 on: January 05, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
Kind of funny, if you combine Samson and Harry you would have a phenomenal prospect.  The knock on Harry is that he is a bit heavy and out of shape, and not the best defender.  The knock on Samson is that he is too thin, but is a very solid defender at the rim. 

Combine them and you have a solidly built near 7', rim defender that can step out and knock down the 3 and can take their defender off the bounce.
I am going to go out on  limb here and say that the kind of genetic engineering required to make this happen will be frowned on by the MU Board of Trustees. But if it does happen, I want Ners added to the resulting basketball Frankenstein so he can be a dunking machine as well.  Or would that mean the creature would have topped out in HS?

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5171 on: January 05, 2017, 02:33:59 PM »
I am going to go out on  limb here and say that the kind of genetic engineering required to make this happen will be frowned on by the MU Board of Trustees. But if it does happen, I want Ners added to the resulting basketball Frankenstein so he can be a dunking machine as well.  Or would that mean the creature would have topped out in HS?

With CRISPR/Cas9 anything is possible, and what the BoT doesn't know won't hurt them ;) ... no Ners, he'd be insufferable to the coaching staffs.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5172 on: January 05, 2017, 02:34:54 PM »

I'll be honest, I think he's a Warrior. Think this is about as close to a done deal (pre-visit) as you can get. I'm already at the point of hoping he's sincere about his work ethic because based on the early reports I read about him, I think he could be the closest thing we'll find to a Henry Ellenson clone for a long time.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5173 on: January 05, 2017, 02:36:03 PM »
I'll be honest, I think he's a Warrior. Think this is about as close to a done deal (pre-visit) as you can get. I'm already at the point of hoping he's sincere about his work ethic because based on the early reports I read about him, I think he could be the closest thing we'll find to a Henry Ellenson clone for a long time.

Do you know something, or just a gut feeling?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5174 on: January 05, 2017, 02:41:22 PM »
Do you know something, or just a gut feeling?

Gut feeling. The kid wants to announce January 10, cancels visit with Dayton and announces he's coming here the 2 days before his announcement? If he really wanted to go to OSU, he would've cancelled with Dayton and announced his decision. My guess is he probably received a bundle of Henry Ellenson footage with a "this could be you" post-it attached, his eyes got big, and one conversation with Stan sealed it.

I could be totally off base, but the timing, the on-paper fit, and the way mid-season transfers seem to go, I feel pretty confident calling him a Warrior.