[September 21, 2024, 08:14:25 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 07:45:48 PM]

Big East 2024 -25 Results by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 06:05:27 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[September 20, 2024, 12:31:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: baseball nets foul pole to foul pole  (Read 30578 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: baseball nets foul pole to foul pole
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2016, 07:54:37 PM »
Dad is the hero...next.

I hope they fix this frightful scenario, soon

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:24:33 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2016, 10:12:04 AM »
Chicos thinks that dad is kittenfing his kid.

Obviously should have let the kid get hit to teach him a lesson about looking at a phone during the ball game.
Sigh ... just more wussification of America.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2016, 10:24:59 AM »
Because idiots can't pay attention to the game like they used to.  The number of balls hit into the stands has not changed significantly in decades.  The difference is the fans inability to pay attention.  The "alarming" number is a myth.  No different statistically than years past.

Idiot kid can't pay attention.  Dad should've let get hit, to teach him a lesson.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:33:26 AM by reinko »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2016, 10:54:50 AM »
This seemed relevant

I love this picture.  Dad is just so cool about it.  I can pretty much guarantee that he has a beer in that other hand...and that he didn't spill a drop.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2016, 10:02:36 PM »
I love this picture.  Dad is just so cool about it.  I can pretty much guarantee that he has a beer in that other hand...and that he didn't spill a drop.

Do we know for sure that's his dad?  If so, good for him... but also bad for him that his kid is an idiot.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2016, 08:16:52 AM »
Do we know for sure that's his dad?  If so, good for him... but also bad for him that his kid is an idiot.

Actually, I have no idea if that's his dad.  Whoever it is...he was pretty cool about it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2016, 09:43:57 AM »

His kid is an "idiot?"

Wow.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »

I'd blame the dad.  When go to games, rules are simple.  Smart phones in pockets during live play.  You want to bring them out, between innings only or go tot he concourse.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
I'd blame the dad.  When go to games, rules are simple.  Smart phones in pockets during live play.  You want to bring them out, between innings only or go tot he concourse.

We disagree somewhat about extending the nets, but we agree about this.  It's up to parents to teach their kids about dangerous situations and to make sure they are safe -- even if they might appear obvious to adults.  This kid's parents (who might or might not be the one blocking the bat) should have taught him to pay attention to the action on the field.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
We disagree somewhat about extending the nets, but we agree about this.  It's up to parents to teach their kids about dangerous situations and to make sure they are safe -- even if they might appear obvious to adults.  This kid's parents (who might or might not be the one blocking the bat) should have taught him to pay attention to the action on the field.

Yep. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2016, 10:48:49 AM »

Chicos said something we can all agree with!!!!!!!!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »
Kid should take personal responsibility for himself.  Not always depending on others, and being a taker.  Kid has to have some skin in the game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2016, 01:59:46 PM »
I used to tell my kids this and it always worked:

"Do what I say, or I will beat you within an inch of your life ...

... again."

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2016, 08:23:29 AM »

It was, indeed, the kid's dad.  More info.

Also, it's interesting to see the entire series of photos, even if it is disappointing to see that Dad didn't have a beer in his other hand.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:28:47 AM by StillAWarrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2016, 09:02:11 AM »

For the record, I said I was fine with extending them to the end of the dugout.  Beyond that effects the game play, the ability of players to catch foul balls, etc.   I'm not wild about extending them to end of the dugout, but I could live with it.  Having sat in the seats behind the dugout, I like it when the players are coming back in, tossing balls to the kids, etc.  That will be gone, that's a nice tradition.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
For the record, I said I was fine with extending them to the end of the dugout.  Beyond that effects the game play, the ability of players to catch foul balls, etc.   I'm not wild about extending them to end of the dugout, but I could live with it.  Having sat in the seats behind the dugout, I like it when the players are coming back in, tossing balls to the kids, etc.  That will be gone, that's a nice tradition.

Must be nice to be a 1%'er

MU82

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 09, 2016, 05:05:35 PM »

I hope you let Rob Manfred know what you could live with, what you're not wild about, etc.

I'm certain that if the commish only knew exactly what Chicos wanted, he would adjust or enact policies accordingly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2016, 05:17:12 PM »
Must be nice to be a 1%'er

We can all sit there....stubhub.com

Or, you need to know a few people and work in the industry.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2016, 05:24:01 PM »
I hope you let Rob Manfred know what you could live with, what you're not wild about, etc.

I'm certain that if the commish only knew exactly what Chicos wanted, he would adjust or enact policies accordingly.

I didn't.  Don't know the man, never met Rob.  Met Bud several times, but not Rob.   You're right, of course, it doesn't particularly matter what I or you think.  They will do what they will do, which is often reactionary in nature.  That's how our world works.

Now, who is for protecting the 1%ers at the NBA games in the first 2 rows?  Or men's NCAA games....something has to be done to stop this scurge of injuries, and bodily fluids exposing these poor, innocent children and adults.

WHEN WILL PEOPLE WAKE UP?

HOW MANY HURT PEOPLE IS IT GOING TO TAKE?

BUILD THAT WALL....or netting....save the children

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2016, 06:40:30 PM »

I'll bet didn't even swallow his chew

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2016, 02:40:45 PM »
For the record, I said I was fine with extending them to the end of the dugout.  Beyond that effects the game play, the ability of players to catch foul balls, etc.   I'm not wild about extending them to end of the dugout, but I could live with it. Having sat in the seats behind the dugout, I like it when the players are coming back in, tossing balls to the kids, etc.  That will be gone, that's a nice tradition.

If only we could find major league baseball players with the arm strength to toss a baseball over a net.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2016, 02:54:16 PM »
If only we could find major league baseball players with the arm strength to toss a baseball over a net.

Yeah, 60 feet high, then it comes down because someone wasn't paying attention again.....I doubt you will see players doing that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »
Yeah, 60 feet high, then it comes down because someone wasn't paying attention again.....I doubt you will see players doing that.

Which teams are building nets 60 feet high down the foul lines?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2016, 03:16:57 PM »
Which teams are building nets 60 feet high down the foul lines?

They're connecting them to the second level decking in most cases, some going as high as 60 feet.  Others, as low as 24 feet.  Depends on the configuration of the stadium.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2016, 03:53:20 PM »
They're connecting them to the second level decking in most cases, some going as high as 60 feet.  Others, as low as 24 feet.  Depends on the configuration of the stadium.

I'm with Chicos on this one.  I doubt players will be throwing baseballs over the net for kids to catch.  First off, if you're worried about people not paying attention during game action, people are far less likely to be paying attention in this scenario.  Secondly, a ball thrown like that is less likely to get to the particular person to whom the player was throwing the ball to (usually a kid with a same team cap on in my experience) and more likely to be caught by some obnoxious jerk.  Maybe kids in the cheaper seats further from the dugout will get a few extra balls tossed their way.

As I said back when this thread started, I don't like the net being extended and I tend to agree that it is an overreaction, but it is coming and no sense worrying about it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.