[June 25, 2024, 08:39:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by MuMark
[June 25, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

High school kids by MUbiz
[June 25, 2024, 04:25:04 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by rocky_warrior
[June 25, 2024, 03:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Buzz's Thoughts on P5 Separation  (Read 28809 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: OT: Buzz's Thoughts on P5 Separation
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2014, 02:04:04 PM »

Washington State is better that OSU, in that they have better facilities and a more recent history, but it is still isolated.

Every time someone runs Windows they are looking at the green waves of the Palouse. In August it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. 

Death on call

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2014, 02:06:01 PM »
Buzz is a sharp guy, and I think he views himself as an early adopter/innovator.

However, sometimes being an early adopter means you have some misses (paint touches might be a bogus stat to track, the P5 might not break away from the NCAA, you own a Zune, etc)

I know you're not saying it, but I love the idea that Buzz owns a Zune. And I'm going to believe it's true.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2014, 02:07:46 PM »
Every time someone runs Windows they are looking at the green waves of the Palouse. In August it is one of the most beautiful places on earth.  

Definitely.  I have been there and wholeheartedly agree.

But there seems to be an inverse relationship between the beauty of a location and the number of quality basketball recruits it generates.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
I don't think too many of those TV guys make the type of money Buzz makes.

What's that got to do with anything?  I know plenty of dumb people that make much more money than smart people.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »
I know plenty of dumb people that make much more money than smart people.

Navy

Rumor is you are worth a fortune

Death on call

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »
Yeah, I think when all is said and done, Buzz pretty much out-thought himself with this entire move.  It speaks volumes that since he left...

1. Marquette hired the top assistant from the winningest coach in NCAA history.
2. Said coach is pulling in a top 10 recruiting class.
3. Marquette invested in facility upgrade for the basketball program.

Buzz will be fine at Virginia Tech.  He has a decent recruiting class coming in, and he is a good coach.  But still I think history will show that this move may have benefited MU more than Buzz.
sing it, truth
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
Buzz seems to be trying to convince himself that he jumped off a burning platform (i.e. a non P5 school for one).  He mentions it so often in various ways that it seems like he is selling himself.

As Chicos stated above, does he think sooner or later in 2024?  That is nine years from now.  What are the chances he is even at Va Tech nine years from now?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2014, 02:48:12 PM »
Navy

Rumor is you are worth a fortune

That rumor is totally true, been buying and selling zoomies for years
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2014, 02:48:56 PM »
Buzz seems to be trying to convince himself that he jumped off a burning platform (i.e. a non P5 school for one).  He mentions it so often in various ways that it seems like he is selling himself.

As Chicos stated above, does he think sooner or later in 2024?  That is nine years from now.  What are the chances he is even at Va Tech nine years from now?

He thinks it's sooner, or is trying to act like it is...but practically speaking it wouldn't be before then.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2014, 03:06:35 PM »
Because this summer, he memorized every NCAA President in order.

It was actually the US Presidents. Wrote each one down in his little notebook.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2014, 03:10:52 PM »
Buzz is buying and selling,missed his calling,should be in the stock market. Hes like rainman in his soundcloud.
Paint the doors white and start over, I'll be here as long as you want me, humble servant forever.

brandx

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2014, 03:13:46 PM »
While I won't argue with the assessment of facilities and history, I'd say a city that ranks in the top 10 nationally for resident education, alternative transportation, and work-life balance is a little better than "a crappy little cow-town."  (Sorry, a tad emotional about the Riley to Nebraska announcement.)

Firing a 9-3 coach for a d'bag like RILEY??? Nebraska will become the Chicago Bears of the B10. Irrelevant.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2014, 03:18:36 PM »
It was actually the US Presidents. Wrote each one down in his little notebook.

Didn't think I needed teal for that one.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2014, 03:27:23 PM »
Didn't think I needed teal for that one.

You did.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2014, 03:29:44 PM »
Firing a 9-3 coach for a d'bag like RILEY??? Nebraska will become the Chicago Bears of the B10. Irrelevant.

Ouch.  Riley's the nicest guy in the world.  While I'd strongly disagree with it, I hope the d-bag remark was aimed at his coaching ability.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2014, 03:37:32 PM »
2024.  This is when the contract ends for the NCAA basketball tournament.  I was involved in the last round of bidding for the contract that ultimately went to Turner and CBS.  Unless the final document is different (which it could be), it is clear that tournament was to be carried to include the NCAA Men's Basketball Division I entities as they currently exist with over 300 DI schools and 30 conferences. 

The television guys know that what makes the stories are Butler, FGCU, Gonzaga, david and goliath, plus the success of many basketball traditional schools.  The television guys are not stupid, but I wonder about a coach down in Virginia who just might be.

Or maybe he thinks 2024 is soon. 

So Buzz plans on being at VT in 2025?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »
Yeah, I think when all is said and done, Buzz pretty much out-thought himself with this entire move.  It speaks volumes that since he left...

1. Marquette hired the top assistant from the winningest coach in NCAA history.
2. Said coach is pulling in a top 10 recruiting class.
3. Marquette invested in facility upgrade for the basketball program.

Buzz will be fine at Virginia Tech.  He has a decent recruiting class coming in, and he is a good coach.  But still I think history will show that this move may have benefited MU more than Buzz.

+1
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Ouch.  Riley's the nicest guy in the world.  While I'd strongly disagree with it, I hope the d-bag remark was aimed at his coaching ability.

Maybe not ....

She said she was gang raped, sodomized, robbed, and then, re-victimized -- her word -- when a college football coach suspended two of the players for one game and was quoted as saying his players had made, "a bad choice."

That phrase burns her, still. All these years later, it sends her hurtling back to the rape examination at Salem Hospital, the police interview, having to tell her boyfriend and mother, and the whispers, guilt and shame. For years, she's been hung up on that three-word hook -- "a bad choice" -- as if violating her body was like knocking on the wrong door in the right neighborhood.

She reported the gang rape to police in 1998. She'd told investigators the men stood around, watching it happen and cheering the others on. At one point, she said she begged one of the men to make it stop. "A bad choice?" she asked herself over the years. "I get sick of reading articles about how great a guy the coach is."

That coach is Mike Riley.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/11/canzano_her_name_is_brenda_tra.html

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2014, 03:55:09 PM »
Here's what Buzz doesn't get. This is a football decision, not a basketball one. If the power 5 separate all the resources are going to football, not basketball. Recruiting is going to be just as tough if not tougher because the Big East is basketball centric and that's where Buzz miscalculated.

On a side note, love the fact that wojo tweets at the other sport teams like volleyball and soccer. I don't think Buzz knew they even existed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »
Bazz is evidently to focused on the P5 separation to pay attention to a basketball game.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/e/sL_kjG3xXFY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/e/sL_kjG3xXFY</a>

Look at him on the replay on the baseline in the corner.  He doesn't even move while this is going on.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »

1. Nebraska wasn't already irrelevant in the Big??
2. Interestingly enough, the Big? is already the Bears of national minor league football. Irrelevant.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »
Here's what Buzz doesn't get. This is a football decision, not a basketball one. If the power 5 separate all the resources are going to football, not basketball. Recruiting is going to be just as tough if not tougher because the Big East is basketball centric and that's where Buzz miscalculated.

On a side note, love the fact that wojo tweets at the other sport teams like volleyball and soccer. I don't think Buzz knew they even existed.

Exactly!

Everything Buzz said about the P5 could be 100% true ... but he forgot one part.  It only applies to football.  They are breaking off for football only and it means nothing for every other sport.

Wait until Buzz learns that after the P5 they have two ADs ... one for the football team and another for everyone else.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2014, 04:05:58 PM »
Seriously, if you think a good recruiter who has sent kids on to the NBA with a S16-S16-E8 run in very recent history who also happens to get his team playing at a great effort level won't have success simply because of the lack of previous success at VT is irrational at best.

I think "irrational at best" is a bit overboard, he is walking into to two different situations at MU/VTech and there are plenty of coaches that have failed after moving on to a new role.  It also depends on what level of success you're talking about. More success than MU?

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2014, 04:10:37 PM »
Maybe not ....

But that's not where the story ends...

She said she had come forward 16 years later because she remained haunted by the words of Oregon State coach Mike Riley, who said two players had made "a bad choice."

Riley told Canzano he regrets those words, and proposed that Tracy talk to his football team about her experience. Tracy told Canzano she's not interested in retribution, or a lawsuit, and would welcome the chance to speak to the team, or any group interested in hearing her story.

"Maybe that's where this was supposed to go all along," she said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11893782/oregon-state-apologizes-woman-involved-1998-rape-investigation

Did he screw up?  Colossally.  But he is ultimately a guy who wants to do the right thing.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2014, 04:13:15 PM »
Maybe not ....

She said she was gang raped, sodomized, robbed, and then, re-victimized -- her word -- when a college football coach suspended two of the players for one game and was quoted as saying his players had made, "a bad choice."

That phrase burns her, still. All these years later, it sends her hurtling back to the rape examination at Salem Hospital, the police interview, having to tell her boyfriend and mother, and the whispers, guilt and shame. For years, she's been hung up on that three-word hook -- "a bad choice" -- as if violating her body was like knocking on the wrong door in the right neighborhood.

She reported the gang rape to police in 1998. She'd told investigators the men stood around, watching it happen and cheering the others on. At one point, she said she begged one of the men to make it stop. "A bad choice?" she asked herself over the years. "I get sick of reading articles about how great a guy the coach is."

That coach is Mike Riley.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/11/canzano_her_name_is_brenda_tra.html

Nomination for Scoop cherry pick of the year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback