[Today at 03:23:49 PM]

Shaka interview by El Guerrero 2
[Today at 08:08:55 AM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Tyler COLEk
[September 27, 2024, 10:34:14 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 04:52:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Buzz's Thoughts on P5 Separation  (Read 29544 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
OT: Buzz's Thoughts on P5 Separation
« on: December 04, 2014, 10:29:57 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/img-audio/virginia-tech-img-tech-talk-live-coach-buzz-williams-on-improving-vt-facilities-12-1-14

Feel free to move this to the Superbar, but I thought it was relevant to MU Basketball, considering Buzz apparently left because he felt that the Big East would not be successful long term, wouldn't be able to recruit, etc.

Buzz says that he believes the P65 (ACC, SEC, Big 12, B1G and PAC 12) will separate from the NCAA "very soon" and "sooner rather than later".  He also thinks the "rich will get richer, and the poor will get poorer".

Sounds like the sky is falling, Scoopers!  ::)

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: OT: Buzz's Thoughts on P5 Separation
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 10:33:21 AM »
Hiroshima has finally happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 10:34:15 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/img-audio/virginia-tech-img-tech-talk-live-coach-buzz-williams-on-improving-vt-facilities-12-1-14

Feel free to move this to the Superbar, but I thought it was relevant to MU Basketball, considering Buzz apparently left because he felt that the Big East would not be successful long term, wouldn't be able to recruit, etc.

Buzz says that he believes the P65 (ACC, SEC, Big 12, B1G and PAC 12) will separate from the NCAA "very soon" and "sooner rather than later".  He also thinks the "rich will get richer, and the poor will get poorer".

Sounds like the sky is falling, Scoopers!  ::)
That may or may not happen. Football seems to run everything. But the ACC may be "Power" when it comes to basketball, but football--not so much. Even if the are a so called "power 5 conference."

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 10:36:34 AM »
I'm not sure why Buzz feels he is in the ground floor of these discussions.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:38:14 AM »
Dear lord, he is such an arrogant tool. I cant believe I put the blinders on the past 3 years. I hope he never makes another NCAA tourney again.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:39:28 AM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 10:40:30 AM »

Considering the amount of hand-written mail he sends, why would you think otherwise?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »

Because this summer, he memorized every NCAA President in order.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 10:53:55 AM »
I wonder how much of the "happening sooner than later" talk is to further justify his move to a turd (no pun intended) program...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Paint touches is going off on him on twitter right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 11:01:10 AM »
Dear lord, he is such an arrogant tool. I cant believe I put the blinders on the past 3 years. I hope he never makes another NCAA tourney again.

I can believe you put the blinders on, as did I and many (most?) MU fans.

We are fans. We were winning. We were entertaining. We were proud to go S16-S16-E8. Buzz was even fun, in his weird way. By the very definition of fandom, we are supposed to support our coach and our program.

For three decades, Indiana fans LOVED perhaps the biggest douchebag in the history of coaching. That's what fans do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 11:01:28 AM »
Yeah, I think when all is said and done, Buzz pretty much out-thought himself with this entire move.  It speaks volumes that since he left...

1. Marquette hired the top assistant from the winningest coach in NCAA history.
2. Said coach is pulling in a top 10 recruiting class.
3. Marquette invested in facility upgrade for the basketball program.

Buzz will be fine at Virginia Tech.  He has a decent recruiting class coming in, and he is a good coach.  But still I think history will show that this move may have benefited MU more than Buzz.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »
Yeah, I think when all is said and done, Buzz pretty much out-thought himself with this entire move.  It speaks volumes that since he left...

Buzz will be fine at Virginia Tech.  He has a decent recruiting class coming in, and he is a good coach.  But still I think history will show that this move may have benefited MU more than Buzz.

+1

This is painfully transparent.  Buzz is trying to justify/rationalize/explain his move to the bottom of the ACC by arguing it is better than being part of a conference that will be "left behind."

doth protest too much!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
I can believe you put the blinders on, as did I and many (most?) MU fans.

For three decades, Indiana fans LOVED perhaps the biggest douchebag in the history of coaching. That's what fans do.

Has Crean been at IU for three decades??

Death on call

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »

That's assuming it was entirely his decision to leave.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 11:12:34 AM »
Because this summer, he memorized every NCAA President in order.

So annoying. Even if he did, why feel the need to tell everyone about it. Like when he says they practiced for 37 minutes, worked out for 22.5 minutes, etc. My freaking high school coach had practice down to the minute, but I don't remember him walking around telling everyone about it. Right now I'm sure the Va Tech faithful are falling in love with his story about being down to $20 and handing out resumes at the final four. Or how he sleeps in his office. Don't get me wrong, great story teller, but he can't wait to tell everyone about it. Aww shucks, I's jus tryin to get a job. $%#! You.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 11:19:17 AM »

Buzz is a sharp guy, and I think he views himself as an early adopter/innovator.

However, sometimes being an early adopter means you have some misses (paint touches might be a bogus stat to track, the P5 might not break away from the NCAA, you own a Zune, etc)

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 11:20:25 AM »
It's gonna be so exciting finding out who the 1 team left out of the tourney is. Drama all season!
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »
you own a Zune

I have 3 Winphones so I own three Zunes!

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 11:22:06 AM »
It's gonna be so exciting finding out who the 1 team left out of the tourney is. Drama all season!

Probably VT

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »
I wonder how much of the "happening sooner than later" talk is to further justify his move to a turd (no pun intended) program...

bingo, I think he is trying to convince himself and everyone else that this was the right move for his career, even if it clearly wasn't.

Now, it is in his best interests to promote a breakaway as that would be the only thing that would mean his move made any sense.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:27:27 AM by Bleuteaux »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »
Buzz is a sharp guy, and I think he views himself as an early adopter/innovator.

However, sometimes being an early adopter means you have some misses (paint touches might be a bogus stat to track, the P5 might not break away from the NCAA, you own a Zune, etc)

FWIW, I think Paint Touches is a good stat to track, but I agree with what you are saying about how Buzz sees himself.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:28:48 AM by Bleuteaux »

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »
Hiroshima has finally happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not until Ron Paul shows up...

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 12:07:43 PM »

Agreed--I think this explains a lot about his mentality.  He thought he could read the writing on the wall about the P5 and was worried about MU getting left out in the cold.  So he decided he needed to get into that club ASAP.  He might be right, and it could be a shrewd move, albeit rather premature in my book--its not like the P5 schools won't hire people from outside their ranks if they do leave, so I don't know why he needed to make the jump yet, especially for VT.

Not sure it explains why he went to VT of all the P5 schools, as he surely could have found a better gig than that.  But, that might be the other part of his nature: once he thinks he "knows" something, it is difficult for him to ignore it, and he has to act immediately, even if might be prudent to wait a little longer.  Leaving the New Orleans gig after one season to take a step back to an assistant's role would seem to demonstrate that. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 12:10:44 PM »
2024.  This is when the contract ends for the NCAA basketball tournament.  I was involved in the last round of bidding for the contract that ultimately went to Turner and CBS.  Unless the final document is different (which it could be), it is clear that tournament was to be carried to include the NCAA Men's Basketball Division I entities as they currently exist with over 300 DI schools and 30 conferences. 

The television guys know that what makes the stories are Butler, FGCU, Gonzaga, david and goliath, plus the success of many basketball traditional schools.  The television guys are not stupid, but I wonder about a coach down in Virginia who just might be.

Or maybe he thinks 2024 is soon. 

feedback