[Today at 11:05:05 AM]

Media Rights Update by GoldenWarrior11
[Today at 11:01:28 AM]

NM by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 10:39:52 AM]

my site phantom wallet login by 4everwarriors
[Today at 09:11:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN 540 Color Commentary  (Read 14397 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: ESPN 540 Color Commentary
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 09:11:32 PM »
Listen to Mac and decide for yourself.  IMHO Mac is good.  Evidence or no evidence.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »
Mac is great!

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 09:22:52 PM »
Please re-read my post. It was about color commentary, past and (recent) present, on the ESPN 540 broadcast.

It sounds like you feel Mac doesn't take his job seriously enough for your liking and doesn't provide detailed enough analysis of every nuance of the game. Who should MU go out and get to replace Mac since he isn't good enough for you?
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
You may like him personally, but you failed to provide evidence that he is him a qualified color commentator.

Qualified? Who's more qualified?

Please provide evidence he's not "qualified."

niquejamesfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 09:51:21 PM »
By unwholesome radio broadcasts are junk. We are very fortunate In Wisconsin to have some of the best. Ueck, Lepay ( I'm a badger football fan) Larivee and Ted Davis. Homer is Homer if your and Mu fan he's great. If not he below average. Just as a"Homer" should be. Anyone that is honestly trying to have a career in radio would not sign up to be a color man at MU.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 09:52:51 PM »
It sounds like you are wanting an analyst versus color guy.  Ron Santo was a horrible analyst for the Cubs and a great color guy.  Ron Coomer is an analyst.  Radio as a medium needs a color guy.  Ron Coomer puts me to sleep while driving my car, breaking down the crap that is the Cubs.

Mac is actually a blend of the two and is awesome as a result. Nothing was better radio than when Santo's tupee caught on fire in the pressbox (overhead heater).

Nephew

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 09:58:39 PM »
It sounds like you feel Mac doesn't take his job seriously enough for your liking and doesn't provide detailed enough analysis of every nuance of the game. Who should MU go out and get to replace Mac since he isn't good enough for you?

Let's clear up inaccuracies in your post first.  I have no idea how seriously Mac takes his job.  I don't know him except for the voice through the radio waves.  He's a working man, as am I, and I'm sure he takes his job seriously enough.  As I've said before, that has nothing to do with his performance.

Suggestions for a replacement?

Someone who can consistently express the changes in Marquette's defensive and offensive tactics.  Someone who doesn't get caught up in how high a player got for an alley-oop, but rather, why he was that open for that alley-oop in the first place.  I could go on.  The lack of citable examples is unfortunate.

I don't pretend to know who the replacement should be.  
mu_hilltopper (global moderator): "Nephew, people put you on 'ignore' because your post was so over-the-top dumb that people are taking an immediate dislike to you. Sorry."

wadesworld: [Nephew] "must be a recent communications grad"

Nephew

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
Qualified? Who's more qualified?

Please provide evidence he's not "qualified."

Please see my previous response to WolverineWarrior85.
mu_hilltopper (global moderator): "Nephew, people put you on 'ignore' because your post was so over-the-top dumb that people are taking an immediate dislike to you. Sorry."

Nephew

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »
It sounds like you are wanting an analyst versus color guy.  Ron Santo was a horrible analyst for the Cubs and a great color guy.  Ron Coomer is an analyst.  Radio as a medium needs a color guy.  Ron Coomer puts me to sleep while driving my car, breaking down the crap that is the Cubs.

Mac is actually a blend of the two and is awesome as a result. Nothing was better radio than when Santo's tupee caught on fire in the pressbox (overhead heater).

My opinion is that a play-by-play commentator offers just that. He tells me who's "bringing it up the left side of the court", who had the assist, or the distance of the mid range jumper.  Homer is excellent in this capacity.

A color comentator should offer enthusiasm and, especially if he/she is a former professional player, insightful analysis into the state of the game.  For reasons that I've mentioned throughout this post, I don't feel McIlvaine accomplishes these tasks.

Dr. Blackheart, I've long enjoyed your posts though I disagree with you on this point.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2014, 11:06:35 PM »
My opinion is that a play-by-play commentator offers just that. He tells me who's "bringing it up the left side of the court", who had the assist, or the distance of the mid range jumper.  Homer is excellent in this capacity.

A color comentator should offer enthusiasm and, especially if he/she is a former professional player, insightful analysis into the state of the game.  For reasons that I've mentioned throughout this post, I don't feel McIlvaine accomplishes these tasks.

Dr. Blackheart, I've long enjoyed your posts though I disagree with you on this point.
I enjoy the combination of the two and think they work well together and communicate accurately. It is an asset for Marquette to have guys like this on the radio crew.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2014, 11:12:56 PM »

Posters on this site frequently fail to comprehend critical, yet objective analysis. I am an MU guy. I've been there through every win and loss since I was a freshman in 2005. 2nd round tournament loss my senior year against Mizzou? Still hurts. DJOs shot(s) against Syracuse in 2011? Amazing.

But be honest.

It's not about having fun at that game if you're earning a pay check. I appreciate enthusiam, but it's about doing your job and educating the listener about the game.

TheBurrEffect posted earlier that if I want better commentary I should pay for FS1.  

My response?

Marquette annually spends in the top 10 (maybe top 5) of any University in the country on men's basketball.  They also call me weekly for money in addition to my annual contribution. You're saying they dont have an influence on who does color commentary for the game?

Are you suggesting they pay for espn's 540 am radio commentary? You might want to return that degree if thats what you believe.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 12:02:55 AM »
Let's clear up inaccuracies in your post first.  I have no idea how seriously Mac takes his job.  I don't know him except for the voice through the radio waves.  He's a working man, as am I, and I'm sure he takes his job seriously enough.  As I've said before, that has nothing to do with his performance.

Suggestions for a replacement?

Someone who can consistently express the changes in Marquette's defensive and offensive tactics.  Someone who doesn't get caught up in how high a player got for an alley-oop, but rather, why he was that open for that alley-oop in the first place.  I could go on.  The lack of citable examples is unfortunate.

I don't pretend to know who the replacement should be.  

"more interested in buddying around with Homer and enjoying himself" What other interpretation of your words is there other you feel Mac is not serious enough for you in his job performance? I doubt Mac is doing this for the money, considering the huge contract he had in the NBA, but rather for his love of Marquette basketball. Many Marquette fans appreciate Mac for that very reason, because he loves Marquette. For whatever reason you don't seem to have that appreciation and would prefer Marquette (or ESPN) hire someone more analytical and less colorful and would recommend anyone other than Mac but no one in particular. Pretty flimsy argument.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:06:02 AM by WolverineWarrior85 »
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2014, 05:06:58 AM »
For anyone who remembers Mac's first few games, he was worse than Fitz... except he usually had some insight from his connections to team/players/coaches which always add value.  He continues that today.

I remember saying to my brother after his first or second game how much better he was than George Thompson with his "three syllable word of the day", "die by the three", and other idiosyncrasies while usually murdering the English language. 

Mac does color the way someone who has several million in the bank and doesn't need the job should do it - he can say nearly anything, and often does.  BUT, he still does his research.

I'm sure Fitz was doing someone a favor today, or perhaps playing for 2nd division in Spain is no longer lucrative so he's looking for a new gig.  Either way, we could do much worse than having Fitz around the program because he's a knowledgeable guy, a solid citizen, and has always represented MU well. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2014, 07:48:31 AM »
Quickest poster on ignore for me, anyone else?

Nephew

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 08:19:37 AM »
Quickest poster on ignore for me, anyone else?

Is this because you can't stand to see a position expressed that is so contrary to your own?

That's what message boards are for.

This weekend we've learned that I am the only person on MUScoop who would prefer someone other than McIlvaine. That's worth something, no?

Nephew

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 08:34:24 AM »
Are you suggesting they pay for espn's 540 am radio commentary? You might want to return that degree if thats what you believe.

Pays for ESPN 540 commentary? No, I did not suggest that.

You might want to consider an MBA or even real world business experience if you think MU has no power to influence who holds the position.  For the record, I don't think they care enough about the broadcasts at present to use their influence. I also don't think they would use it to remove anyone from the job. But if there were a vacancy, it is entirely conceivable that MU would say, "Hey ESPN 540, here are a few people we'd like you to strongly consider for our games."

Nephew

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »
"more interested in buddying around with Homer and enjoying himself" What other interpretation of your words is there other you feel Mac is not serious enough for you in his job performance? I doubt Mac is doing this for the money, considering the huge contract he had in the NBA, but rather for his love of Marquette basketball. Many Marquette fans appreciate Mac for that very reason, because he loves Marquette. For whatever reason you don't seem to have that appreciation and would prefer Marquette (or ESPN) hire someone more analytical and less colorful and would recommend anyone other than Mac but no one in particular. Pretty flimsy argument.

Fair enough.

I'm of course glad that he loves Marquette and want that in a color commentator, but that, in my opinion, does not fully qualify someone for the position.

For the other 99% of Scoopers who responded, it's clear that enthusiasm for the game/program is the primary requirement of the position.

Now we know.

Also, from the beginning this thread was not intended to provide replacement suggestions. The fact that I have provided none has no bearing on the quality of the argument.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »
Perhaps a poll would be in order.

Nephew - You might consider getting in touch with JM and letting him know that a bit more of "x" and "y" analysis might make his commentary even more effective.  Honey vs. vinegar and all that.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Nephew

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2014, 09:01:05 AM »
Perhaps a poll would be in order.

Nephew - You might consider getting in touch with JM and letting him know that a bit more of "x" and "y" analysis might make his commentary even more effective.  Honey vs. vinegar and all that.

A poll is a great idea.

Your sarcasm is rich. I'm sure Mac reads Scoop from time to time, he can get in touch with me if he has questions.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2014, 09:20:05 AM »
A poll is a great idea.

Your sarcasm is rich. I'm sure Mac reads Scoop from time to time, he can get in touch with me if he has questions.

Nope.  You may have interpreted sarcasm, but none was intended. 

My perception is that you are far more likely to attain a modification/improvement in JM's announcing style by proactively contacting him, in a more private forum, than in criticizing him in a public one. 

Expecting him to contact you is likely not a realistic expectation.  But perhaps it was you who was being sarcastic in that statement.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »
Hmmmm.....Nephew defending his POV to the bitter end?  Feeling the need to respond to every post?

I am actually a Chicos fan, but anyone else notice we haven't heard from him since Nephew came online?
Have some patience, FFS.

Nephew

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2014, 09:43:26 AM »
Nope.  You may have interpreted sarcasm, but none was intended. 

My perception is that you are far more likely to attain a modification/improvement in JM's announcing style by proactively contacting him, in a more private forum, than in criticizing him in a public one. 

Expecting him to contact you is likely not a realistic expectation.  But perhaps it was you who was being sarcastic in that statement.

I'm concerned you don't understand the concept of a message board. Disucssion.

Just as logical criticisms are allowed of a head coach, assistant coach, etc, they are allowed of other people who are paid to do work related to mubb. I do not criticize players or student managers.

Additionally, my criticisms have not been toward Mac personally. In fact, I have gone out of my way to clarify this. My criticisms have been solely focused on the several hours I hear him during each game.  Again, I'm sure he's an exemplary individual.

As for your poor sarcasm, of course it would be easier if I contacted Mac directly. It would also have been easier if I had contacted Buzz directly when I had a gripe with him. But that's not how things work.

This is what message boards are for.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2014, 09:54:12 AM »
Hmmmm.....Nephew defending his POV to the bitter end?  Feeling the need to respond to every post?

I am actually a Chicos fan, but anyone else notice we haven't heard from him since Nephew came online?

Nah, CBB isn't that dense and provides far more logic.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »
Don't cha just like dat "IGNORE" function/ option ??   ;)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2014, 11:37:39 AM »

Speaking of Chicos, and other MIA posters, anyone seen Legs lately?