[Today at 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[Today at 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[Today at 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo reaching out to former players  (Read 8234 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Wojo reaching out to former players
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:15:17 AM »
from Mike Hunt:

Marquette began its summer cookout for fans and alumni with Buzz Williams, and the tradition continued Tuesday night with new coach Steve Wojciechowski.

What was noticable was the number of former players at the event. More than 60 made the scene. Since arriving on April 1, Wojo has embraced the Marquette tradition. Part of that is involving former players.

For example, Wojo recently hired former star Travis Diener as director of basketball operations. During his first week on the job, Wojo reached out to Diener and told him there would be a place for him at Marquette when his playing career ended.

It just so happened that Diener was ready to retire. He left the Italian League to come home and be a part of the new era with Wojo.

"I know Buzz started this, but I think there’s more former players who have come back today than in any other year," Diener said. "Coach has extended them the opportunity to come to games as our guest. Establishing a relationship with the guys who played here is very important. For myself, I know what came before me when I got here. It’s all a process. There were players before you who created this great university. I think Coach Wojo is doing a great job with that."

Wojo met with the former players and posed for a group picture Tuesday afternoon.

"It shows Wojo has already created a big connection with the past players," said former star Steve Novak, now with the Toronto Raptors. "That’s something that’s very important to the guys who no longer put on the uniform but love to come back and cheer these teams on. It’s nice to see so many people made the trip back. Some of them came a long way to be here."

Novak said Wojo reached out to him his first week on the job.

"To me he’s been humble about going about things," Novak said. "He’s really reseached and studied the Marquette program and he continues to reach out to people to understand what Marquette is all about. I don’t  think he would have taken the job unless he had a pretty good idea of what Marquette is. He continues to get to know the people here. I’ve been very impressed with him."
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/265470481.html

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Wojo reaching out to former players
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:32:27 AM »
from Mike Hunt:

What was noticable was the number of former players at the event. More than 60 made the scene. Since arriving on April 1, Wojo has embraced the Marquette tradition.

Anyone who was there know what players showed?  Any of our recent NBA entrants?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »
I wonder if Niv berkowitz made the trek

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:45:56 AM »
There seemed to be a great turn-out of former players but to me, it wasn't noticeably bigger or smaller than past years.  This has become a really nice tradition.  Glad they continued it.

One thing that was different, the food.  Wow.  I get you want to separate from Buzz but ribs and cornbread beat bad burgers and hot dogs all day long.  I bet even Wojo would have liked some ribs with a little Carolina sauce.   I had an MU staffer tell me it was a internal debate on the menu (seriously) and in the end the thought was, better to break from Buzz.  Sometimes, you just over think things. 

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »
There seemed to be a great turn-out of former players but to me, it wasn't noticeably bigger or smaller than past years.  This has become a really nice tradition.  Glad they continued it.

One thing that was different, the food.  Wow.  I get you want to separate from Buzz but ribs and cornbread beat bad burgers and hot dogs all day long.  I bet even Wojo would have liked some ribs with a little Carolina sauce.   I had an MU staffer tell me it was a internal debate on the menu (seriously) and in the end the thought was, better to break from Buzz.  Sometimes, you just over think things. 

No Polish sausage?
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Ardmore Mug

• All American

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »
 I had an MU staffer tell me it was a internal debate on the menu (seriously) and in the end the thought was, better to break from Buzz.  Sometimes, you just over think things. 

Marquette has a sad history of throwing out the baby with the bath water. Can't separate a nickname from a mascot, an ex coach from a decent menu. Will "Buzz's Bunch" be able to be saved with a new name? Hope so, but it wouldn't surprise me if "an internal debate" puts an end to it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 10:27:04 AM »
Marquette has a sad history of throwing out the baby with the bath water. Can't separate a nickname from a mascot, an ex coach from a decent menu. Will "Buzz's Bunch" be able to be saved with a new name? Hope so, but it wouldn't surprise me if "an internal debate" puts an end to it.

There was debate on even holding the event, until reason prevailed with the thought..."1,500 friends of the University on campus in the middle of the week, in the summer, maybe we should keep it going".
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 11:20:27 AM »
Oh, the horror of throwing out bbq ribs in favor of hot dogs and hamburgers.   That's way up there on the list of bad decisions...

Maybe they should have asked Scoop what to serve at the BBQ to satisfy everyone...

wow, I guess somebody will bitch about anything...

GOO

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »

I would have been disappointed to find out the ribs were changed for bad hamburgers.  I generally don't eat ribs/hamburgers, but the MU BBQ was a great excuse for me to pig out on some ribs.  Bad hamburgers, no thanks.    

I missed this one last night, unfortunately.  Did someone decide a break with BBQ was cheaper by adding the typical pressed yukky hamburger?  The MU event hamburgers that make me wish I was at Burger King  >:(  

Bring back the ribs, please! If I'm going to eat unhealthy food, it sure isn't going to be a bad MU hamburger.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »
Oh, the horror of throwing out bbq ribs in favor of hot dogs and hamburgers.   That's way up there on the list of bad decisions...

Maybe they should have asked Scoop what to serve at the BBQ to satisfy everyone...

wow, I guess somebody will bitch about anything...

Well, if you don't think it's pathetic that there would be an "internal debate" and that a menu change was deemed necessary then you're pathetic, too.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »
To me it was actually for the past 5-6 years you paid X dollars for X product.  This year you paid X dollars for Y product.  It's not a nickname change, it's not a lay President but was a little disappointing, because in the past the food was really good.  Last night it was standard issue large group tailgate food. 

With me, I find it more amusing that anything.

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
Ridiculous.  You are not coming for the food but to support the program and to meet current and former players and coaches.  And, I believe that the new coach is not going to go with Buzz's bunch, but return to Al's favorite group--Children's Hospital.  I am sure that many scoopers will be disappointed by this, since some of always hav to find the negative in anything that happens.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »
Ridiculous.  You are not coming for the food but to support the program and to meet current and former players and coaches.  And, I believe that the new coach is not going to go with Buzz's bunch, but return to Al's favorite group--Children's Hospital.  I am sure that many scoopers will be disappointed by this, since some of always hav to find the negative in anything that happens.

Actually I come so I can eat ribs while my kids play in a bounce house.  And I catch up with some of old friends.  I know the players have no interest in talking to me so I rarely ever talk to them.  My son did get a nice pic with Wojo.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »
I was fine with the food since that was secondary at best for me.  In my opinion, the biggest screwup was the fact that the gift shop wasn't open.  I wanted to pick up some things while I was on campus and the store was closed.  Some other people were also standing outside looking at the Hours of Operation in amazement as well.  Missed opportunity!

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »
Some great pics on the MU Men's BB Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/MarquetteMensBB?ref=stream
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 12:48:48 PM »
I bet there are "internal debates" on a lot of topics post-Buzz - hope they don't disclose them all to you Lenny so you can continue to blast MU for every decision they back...

Why would you not make a change from an association with Buzz - it was "Buzz's BBQ"    Maybe we could have kept the ribs and call it "the Marquette former coach who trashes MU and the Big East publically BBQ" and then every one could have kept their tasty ribs (which by the way are mass produced crappy ribs anyway)...

Well, if you don't think it's pathetic that there would be an "internal debate" and that a menu change was deemed necessary then you're pathetic, too.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »
The ribs were actually good.  Maybe it is just me, but a BBQ doesn't mean hamburgers and hot dogs.  That is grilling out  ;)

Yes, it is minor (well, except for those of us who love our food!).   But it would be a minor disappointment.     

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »
Ok, since we're talking polish sausage, here's a tip on the best polish sausage in the western hemisphere.

Eby's market, on the far west side of South Bend (ya, I know) makes a home made, to die for, gotta be on your bucket list polish sausage.  Order the variety with garlic.

It comes in 5 pound coils, they will give you smaller portions too. 

56977 Mayflower road. 

There's a local made mustard that goes perfect with it.  If you can find Stanz's Belgium mustard, it's the perfect pairing with Eby's polish. 

Don't par boil this sausage.  It's fairly lean.  Throw it on a medium hot grill, cook it till it has light brown grill marks, remove, and serve.

You're welcome.  ;D

River Rat, what say you?  Can you bring some up to Spooner this summer?!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 10:05:27 PM »
I heard Wojo reached out to PTM, as a former playa.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »
The ribs were actually good.       

Hmmmm...never been to Memphis I'm guessing

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 02:01:42 AM »
Ran into Steve Novak at the Dave Matthews Band show tonight. Only had a brief conversation with him. He only had fantastic things to say about Wojo. He seems to be really pleased with the direction the program is going. Joked that he wasn't sure Diener would have enough attitude on the bench
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 08:13:46 AM »
Ran into Steve Novak at the Dave Matthews Band show tonight. Only had a brief conversation with him. He only had fantastic things to say about Wojo. He seems to be really pleased with the direction the program is going. Joked that he wasn't sure Diener would have enough attitude on the bench

Were you able to ask Novak what he thought of the food?

(asking for a friend)

GOO

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 09:28:21 AM »
Hmmmm...never been to Memphis I'm guessing
That is true, and I rarely eat ribs.  So I'll say it this way, to me, the MU BBQ ribs are a lot better than the typical hot dogs and pressed hamburgers served at MU events.  For someone who eats two or three hamburgers a year, it would have been tough to waste it on one of those hamburgers.  Especially after being ready for the ribs!  But, at least MU probably made money off the event instead of breaking even or losing money by serving the ribs/cornbread.