[June 25, 2024, 08:39:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by MuMark
[June 25, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

High school kids by MUbiz
[June 25, 2024, 04:25:04 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by rocky_warrior
[June 25, 2024, 03:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oregon responds to Sexual Assault allegations  (Read 11797 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Oregon responds to Sexual Assault allegations
« on: May 10, 2014, 07:10:55 AM »
Oregon kicks three suspended players off team. Interesting counter point to MU's handling of issues.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/05/damyean_dotson_dominic_artis_a.html

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
Re: Oregon responds to Sexual Assault allegations
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
There is no doubt that Oregon handled the investigative part about it better than Marquette did. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 08:48:28 AM »
fWIW...the players involved at Marquette were not here much longer after their incident either, but there was never a direct link or a public acknowledgement, in part because charges were never filed.  Legally, we couldn't say "so and so is being suspended or asked to leave because of their potential involvement in a sexual assault" without opening the doors to slander/libel lawsuits.  If charges had been filed (which I will blame on DPS, not the victims) we would have done exactly the same thing as Oregon has.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 08:55:45 AM »
fWIW...the players involved at Marquette were not here much longer after their incident either, but there was never a direct link or a public acknowledgement, in part because charges were never filed.  Legally, we couldn't say "so and so is being suspended or asked to leave because of their potential involvement in a sexual assault" without opening the doors to slander/libel lawsuits.  If charges had been filed (which I will blame on DPS, not the victims) we would have done exactly the same thing as Oregon has.

+1

Maybe we would have handled it differently if charges were actually filed.  But without charges can you formally suspend or kick players off the team?  How do they appeal or defend themselves when no charges are filed?

Also, public Safety handling it badly but they have seen wholesale changes in their procedures since.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 08:58:20 AM »

Are you sure you can say this with certainty?

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:24:31 AM »

No.

Heck that's probably libel on my part...

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:52:13 AM »

It took time to get rid of the coach who attempted to orchestrate a cover up, as well. ;)
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:25:02 AM »

Did you even read the article? No charges were filed in the O case, either. But an investigation was undertaken by the appropriate external authorities, who provided their findings to the University. In the meantime, the university cooperated fully with the police and DAs office - which asked that no action be taken against the players so as not to compromise their investigation.

Once the investigation was completed the DAs office declined to file charges but the reports are public record and describe in detail the behaviors of three men which, while perhaps not criminal, are judged by the university to be severely lacking in judgment, character, and moral value. The players were suspended while the university reviewed its options then chose to remove them from further participation as members of the UO community.

Here is a quote from O President Mike Gottfredson's statement yesterday:

"The type of behavior in the police report released this week is utterly unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

I understand and empathize with the outrage people feel — as a father, I was appalled at what I read. As president of this university, I am angry and disappointed over this profoundly disturbing incident."

Read the article and you will see there is a profound difference between the professionalism exhibited by the University of Oregon and the rank amateurism of Marquette's response to violence on its campus. Not only was a similar event handled entirely differently by Marquette, which resulted in a devastating front page article in the Chicago Tribune, but Marquette continues to seem incapable of addressing attacks on its students effectively and efficiently.

The Marquette Administration wastes time, cycles, and resources on petty minutiae like Warriors, Last Tango in Paris, creating pedestrian malls, and Gold yet is painfully silent on how it intends to improve the ecosystem to safeguard its most precious asset - the Marquette students. 

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 01:27:59 PM »
The Marquette Administration wastes time, cycles, and resources on petty minutiae like Warriors, Last Tango in Paris, creating pedestrian malls, and Gold yet is painfully silent on how it intends to improve the ecosystem to safeguard its most precious asset - the Marquette students. 

You may want to rev down the ole hyperbole machine.

Just because you haven't heard anything, that doesn't mean they are "painfully silent."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »

You may want to rev down the ole hyperbole machine.

Just because you haven't heard anything, that doesn't mean they are "painfully silent."

Hyperbole? Hardly. A hallmark of leadership is communication to your most important constituencies.

How then would you characterize the Marquette response to the violence against its students over the past few years?

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
I think that Marquette has done a pretty fair job at increasing the safety for its students.  From cleaning up the neighborhood around campus, to attempting to turn DPS into a police force, to tightening up how it handles sexual misconduct, the University has made strides.

Is it stellar?  No.  But is it "painfully silent?"  Hardly.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »
I think that Marquette has done a pretty fair job at increasing the safety for its students.  From cleaning up the neighborhood around campus, to attempting to turn DPS into a police force, to tightening up how it handles sexual misconduct, the University has made strides.

Is it stellar?  No.  But is it "painfully silent?"  Hardly.

You misunderstand. Compare how Oregon proactively and positively addressed their situation to how Marquette has managed its incidents. There is no comparison. What has Marquette done in the aftermath of a string of armed robberies and assaults other than to say they work well with the MPD? Contrast that with tangible initiatives of Oregon in a matter of significant concern to that campus community.

So how would you index Marquette's management of security issues involving its students with that of Oregon? 

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »
You misunderstand. Compare how Oregon proactively and positively addressed their situation to how Marquette has managed its incidents. There is no comparison. What has Marquette done in the aftermath of a string of armed robberies and assaults other than to say they work well with the MPD? Contrast that with tangible initiatives of Oregon in a matter of significant concern to that campus community.

So how would you index Marquette's management of security issues involving its students with that of Oregon? 

Keefe...you're shifting goalposts again.

Clearly Oregon handled the situation better wrt their basketball team.  Does that translate to better handling as a campus of violence overall?  I have no idea.

I simply said that your "painfully silent" comment was hyperbole.  You said "hardly."  But it was...it was an "exaggeration for the sake of emphasis."  Simply put, Marquette has done things to address violence against its students.  You don't think they've gone far enough.

That's fine, but don't claim you weren't using hyperbole.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »

Keefe...you're shifting goalposts again.

Clearly Oregon handled the situation better wrt their basketball team.  Does that translate to better handling as a campus of violence overall?  I have no idea.

I simply said that your "painfully silent" comment was hyperbole.  You said "hardly."  But it was...it was an "exaggeration for the sake of emphasis."  Simply put, Marquette has done things to address violence against its students.  You don't think they've gone far enough.

That's fine, but don't claim you weren't using hyperbole.

Touche. Your point is well taken. But with all due respect to Daniel Defoe, one must always bear in mind that one man's hyperbole is another man's passion.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »
Hyperbole? Hardly. A hallmark of leadership is communication to your most important constituencies.

How then would you characterize the Marquette response to the violence against its students over the past few years?

What kind of communication are you looking for? There are a lot of privacy laws that protect students from having information just thrown out there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »

It depends on your definition of "here much longer." I can guarantee that the players involved do not currently hold degrees from Marquette.
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »
What kind of communication are you looking for? There are a lot of privacy laws that protect students from having information just thrown out there.

That's not what I mean. This has nothing to do with any individual student but what the University intends to do to enhance security. I understand there has been progress but when a student is shot there is a problem. Leaders step forward and take ownership of the issue. It seems Marquette has failed to do that in this case.

Imagine you are a parent in Chicago. First you read about the sexual assaults at Marquette in the Trib. Then you hear on the local CBS affiliate that  a Marquette student was shot during an armed robbery. Two major media outlets in Marquette's prime recruiting area are painting a picture of an unsafe campus. This is a serious problem for Marquette. Their silence is stunning.

Look at how Oregon got ahead of the issue involving the basketball team. But they correctly opened up the aperture and noted that this was a campus problem - not limited to the athletic department. The University President outlined a plan for improving campus safety in every aspect of security.

Real leaders step forward, acknowledge publicly there is a problem, and state they will correct the situation immediately. Without getting into the politics, a shaken nation was reassured on December 8 by FDR while a city knew that Rudy Giuliani was in charge and intended to address a myriad of problems spawned in a single September morning. Leadership is always proactive.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 07:56:30 PM »
fWIW...the players involved at Marquette were not here much longer after their incident either, but there was never a direct link or a public acknowledgement, in part because charges were never filed.  Legally, we couldn't say "so and so is being suspended or asked to leave because of their potential involvement in a sexual assault" without opening the doors to slander/libel lawsuits.  If charges had been filed (which I will blame on DPS, not the victims) we would have done exactly the same thing as Oregon has.

I still marvel at the folks here that insisted those involved weren't on the basketball team.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:58:08 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »
He did say "players involved" in case you missed it...

I still marvel at the folks here that insisted those involved weren't on the basketball team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »

My recollection is that they didn't know...not that they insisted otherwise.

Stop trying to do the Chicos thing and create arguments for the sake of creating them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 09:33:04 PM »

My recollection is that they didn't know...not that they insisted otherwise.

Stop trying to do the Chicos thing and create arguments for the sake of creating them.

There were people here so hell bent in denial of who it was that they were insistent it could be someone else like the men's tennis team.  That's not creating an argument, that is the looney toons that some people view the world and the total denial that was in play.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 10:09:40 PM »

So multiple folks INSISTED
that basketball players weren't involved? I don't recall people INSISTING that. I'll eagerly await the quotes from all these folks.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »

Of course Marquette is going to handle it differently. The Ducks are located in Eugene, where a purse snatching is a Class A felony. Three basketball players misbehaving is so rare that they can safely publicize it without fearing an admissions backlash.

Marquette, by contrast, is on the edge of a ghetto. The university spent tens of millions rehabilitating the neighborhood around it and still has not been able to wall itself off from the reality of Milwaukee. Going too public and volunteering too much will scare every upstate Wisconsin farmgirl considering Marquette for her education, not to mention about half the suburbanites in Chicago.

Publicize even underaged drinking and all of the fears about the neighborhood come out. So of course they cover it up. To do otherwise is bad for business.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 12:37:30 AM »
Of course Marquette is going to handle it differently. The Ducks are located in Eugene, where a purse snatching is a Class A felony. Three basketball players misbehaving is so rare that they can safely publicize it without fearing an admissions backlash.

Marquette, by contrast, is on the edge of a ghetto. The university spent tens of millions rehabilitating the neighborhood around it and still has not been able to wall itself off from the reality of Milwaukee. Going too public and volunteering too much will scare every upstate Wisconsin farmgirl considering Marquette for her education, not to mention about half the suburbanites in Chicago.

Publicize even underaged drinking and all of the fears about the neighborhood come out. So of course they cover it up. To do otherwise is bad for business.

The problem for Marquette, however, is that the Chicago Tribune ran a front page article on sexual violence involving the Marquette basketball team and the CBS affiliate in Chicago ran a news report of the armed robberies/shooting.

Ball is in Marquette's court. I suggest they study the UO case handling and act accordingly. To say nothing is foolish if not irrational.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 05:04:11 AM »
These discussions get on my nerves. Bravo to Oregon for taking these measures but I wish there was this much outrage every time a student is the victim of an assault.
TAMU