'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 10:10:15 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Lennys Tap
[June 20, 2024, 08:26:59 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Warriors4ever
[June 20, 2024, 07:45:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 05:24:06 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[June 20, 2024, 02:56:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[June 20, 2024, 01:29:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: McQuaid picks SMU  (Read 9300 times)

Tums Festival

• All American
McQuaid picks SMU
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »
2015 Marquette target Matt McQuaid has committed to SMU. Here's the blog post from ESPN Insider:

ESPN 60 shooting guard Matt McQuaid committed to SMU on Monday. The Class of 2015 prospect was seriously courted by Alabama, Creighton, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M and Wichita State, among others.

Why he committed: McQuaid had a great comfort level with the coaching staff and an opportunity to play for Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown and a chance to win a national championship. Also, he gets to play close to home and earn a degree from a great school.

What he brings: The 6-foot-4, four-star shooting guard is long and more athletic than he appears and McQuaid has an excellent basketball IQ to go along with being a terrific shooter off the catch. He has deep range and a quick trigger. He is a gym rat who takes pride in working on his game. McQuaid has improved his mid-range game and his ability to attack off the dribble and draw fouls.

How he fits: McQuaid provides the Mustangs with a long and lean shooter who can stretch the floor by spotting up on the break and create spacing within the half-court offense. Brown will also have a couple set plays to get McQuaid free with some single-double pin-down and flare-screening actions.

Who he reminds us of: McQuaid reminds of of a young Kyle Korver with his ability to shoot it deep off the catch, his quick trigger and basketball IQ.

How the class shapes up: The Mustangs are off to a great start in the Class of 2015. McQuaid joins point guard Sedrick Barefield. The future backcourt is in good hands in Dallas.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

source?

• All American
Re: McQuaid picks SMU
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:38:07 AM »
Too bad.

Side Note: "What he brings" and on, copy and pasted from stereotypes for dummies? All the buzz words are there: "more athletic than he appears," "high bb iq," "gym rat," etc.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »
Ah, we cooled on him anyway.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »
Ah, we cooled on him anyway.

Source?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

source?

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »
Source?

What's up?

If you're looking for my opinion on the post, I'm guessing teal.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:53:52 AM by source? »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »
What's up?

If you're looking for my opinion on the post, I'm guessing teal.

Where's "we cooled on him" today?  Why isn't he posting?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

source?

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
Where's "we cooled on him" today?  Why isn't he posting?

That guy is so non-committal. Always types out long, complicated posts and then changes his mind and doesn't click to submit.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 12:44:18 PM »
Serious question. How the hell have SMU, Baylor, SDSt and other seemingly "random" schools drawing top-rated recruits for several years in a row?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »
$MU is a $leeping giant with a history of Athletic $uccess.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »
Serious question. How the hell have SMU, Baylor, SDSt and other seemingly "random" schools drawing top-rated recruits for several years in a row?

Nothing random about it.  Those schools all made an "all out" commitment to developing their programs.  Barnes problems in Texas probably began when he started spending about half of his time complaining to anyone who would listen about the recruiting methods of Scott Drew at Baylor.  Steve Fisher was the coach who recruited the Fab Five to Michigan after winning the NCAA tournament the year before.  When he was fired by Michigan for the "Ed Martin scandal" that didn't keep San Diego State from going after him a year later.  And SMU deciding to go big time started off with them going after Buzz before getting Larry Brown.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »
Nothing random about it.  Those schools all made an "all out" commitment to developing their programs.  Barnes problems in Texas probably began when he started spending about half of his time complaining to anyone who would listen about the recruiting methods of Scott Drew at Baylor.  Steve Fisher was the coach who recruited the Fab Five to Michigan after winning the NCAA tournament the year before.  When he was fired by Michigan for the "Ed Martin scandal" that didn't keep San Diego State from going after him a year later.  And SMU deciding to go big time started off with them going after Buzz before getting Larry Brown.

Are you implying their "commitment" is allowing questionable recruiting methods?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »

Larry Brown for SMU

Steve Fisher for SDSU, he's been there for 15 years.  He's built up good will, done a good job, recruits will eventually come

Baylor...that's another story...slimy

brandx

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
$MU is a $leeping giant with a history of Athletic $uccess.

A$ bad a$ Buzz wanted to get away, even that hillbilly knew there wa$ no long-term future going to $MU.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 02:43:35 PM »
A$ bad a$ Buzz wanted to get away, even that hillbilly knew there wa$ no long-term future going to $MU.

False. Buzz wanted to go, but the sexual assault scandal made Buzz too slimy for SMU at that point in time.

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »
...and a chance to win a national championship...

Really???

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »

Who he reminds us of: McQuaid reminds of of a young Kyle Korver with his ability to shoot it deep off the catch, his quick trigger and basketball IQ.

Talk about insult to injury, he'll never be a Korver!

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »
False. Buzz wanted to go, but the sexual assault scandal made Buzz too slimy for SMU at that point in time.

Yeah, I don't think Jim Harrick is too slimy for SMU.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »

Steve Fisher and Larry Brown are both legendary coaches. Players want to play for them. Though Brown's recruiting methods are questionable.

Drew on the other hand...I live about 100 miles downwind of Waco and I can still smell him
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 09:57:04 AM »
Steve Fisher and Larry Brown are both legendary coaches. Players want to play for them. Though Brown's recruiting methods are questionable.

Drew on the other hand...I live about 100 miles downwind of Waco and I can still smell him

Well put.  I would only add that San Diego State gives Fisher an advantage in that he can get kids in school that coaches at other schools couldn't.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 09:58:51 AM »

Do you really think Steve Fisher is legendary? I get that he won a NC and was the coach of the Fab Five, but legendary might be exaggerating slightly. Larry Brown is legendary.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »
Do you really think Steve Fisher is legendary? I get that he won a NC and was the coach of the Fab Five, but legendary might be exaggerating slightly. Larry Brown is legendary.
LB>SF but yes both are legendary.

Is Al "legendary"?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 12:41:41 PM »
LB>SF but yes both are legendary.

Is Al "legendary"?

Comparing Al to Steve Fischer is a blasphemy. Al was a legend with a capital L. Steve was in the right place at the right time and capitalized on it. Legend? Maybe, with a small l.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »

Honestly the use of the word legendary was used as a nod to scoop history. "Legendary coach" is kind of a mocking term around here. But yes, I think a history like Fisher's with the national championship qualifies him at least as a small time legend.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/490973643711590402

Matt McQuaid has decommited from SMU per Evan Daniels. Recruits seem to be running from Larry Brown

I know Wojo was hot for this guy a few months back. Maybe we will get back in the game now that he is on the market again.
TAMU

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/490973643711590402

Matt McQuaid has decommited from SMU per Evan Daniels. Recruits seem to be running from Larry Brown

I know Wojo was hot for this guy a few months back. Maybe we will get back in the game now that he is on the market again.

Wow. Seems like things are falling apart at SMU

feedback