[June 25, 2024, 08:39:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by MuMark
[June 25, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

High school kids by MUbiz
[June 25, 2024, 04:25:04 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by rocky_warrior
[June 25, 2024, 03:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Encouraging News About Ahmed Hill  (Read 35670 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Encouraging News About Ahmed Hill
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »
Encouraging because he's keeping an open mind.

http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/04/04/will-georgia-basketball-star-stick-with-original-decision/

One of the nation’s top college basketball prospects told the AJC that he wants to chat with Marquette’s new coach before deciding whether or not to request a release from his letter of intent.

“I’m going to wait until I talk to the coach before I think about anything,” said Ahmed Hill, a 4-star shooting guard from Augusta who is ranked as the state’s No. 2 overall prospect.

“My family told me (after that conversation takes place), I need to go ahead and do whatever I decide to do … to just go ahead and do it. My family said they will support me with whatever I do.”

One of the main reasons that the 6-foot-5, 190-pound Hill signed last November with Marquette over 20 other schools, including UGA, Georgia Tech and Missouri, was the presence of coach Buzz Williams, who recently left for a similar job at Virginia Tech.

“It was pretty crazy that he left,” Hill said. “Coach Williams was a big reason why I signed with Marquette. I liked his coaching style, and the way he won.”

This week, Marquette announced Steve Wojciechowski, the longtime Duke assistant who has no head coaching experience, as the new coach. Hill is anxious to see how he fits into the new coach’s plans.

“I really haven’t talked to Coach Wojo much, so I don’t have an opinion of him yet,” Hill said. “We’re supposed to talk this weekend.

“I just want to talk to him on the phone, see what kind of person he is really, and see what he talks about. I will probably stay with Marquette unless I hear something I don’t like.”

A coaching change is one of the few negatives for an elite prospect opting to sign in basketball’s early period. In 2010, the AJC’s Mr. Basketball, Westlake High School’s Marcus Thornton, signed early with Clemson but was granted a release after a coaching change. Thornton ended up picking UGA over Alabama, Georgia Tech, and Texas at the end of the spring.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:22:22 PM by Heisenberg »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Encouraging News About Ahmed Hill
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 09:23:54 PM »
Awesome!  I really liked:

“I will probably stay with Marquette unless I hear something I don’t like."

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:31:01 PM »
Awesome!  I really liked:

“I will probably stay with Marquette unless I hear something I don’t like."

That's about the only take away that was encouraging.  Everything else was neither a positive or negative.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:35:20 PM »
I would have personally liked Wojo to board the private jet and go down there in person...he should be our top priority right now. To hear Hill say he hasn't really talked to him is pretty disappointing to me.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:38:58 PM »
I would have personally liked Wojo to board the private jet and go down there in person...he should be our top priority right now. To hear Hill say he hasn't really talked to him is pretty disappointing to me.

He's reached out to him though.  He hasn't been our coach a week yet even.  I'm sure we can't begin to grasp everything on his plate right now. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 09:39:02 PM »

Story was written Friday and it said they would talk this weekend.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 09:40:23 PM »

Also Hill is in Augusta, this is Masters week, the airport was overflowing with private planes since Friday.  Maybe he can't get there?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »
Meanwhile, per Mark Miller- spoke with Cohen's coach this evening and nothing new to report on him either. 

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
Also Hill is in Augusta, this is Masters week, the airport was overflowing with private planes since Friday.  Maybe he can't get there?

Let's not make excuses like that. If he determines he needs to see this kid in person then a busy airport at Augusta should not be holding him back. Fly into Savannah and drive the rest of the way. Take a bus to Louisville and hitch hike from there if you have to. If he seriously tells a prized recruit that he won't be coming in because the airport is just too busy, then I would have serious concerns about him being our coach going forward. I know this is his first week, but in my opinion Hill needs to be very high on his priority list.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 09:56:46 PM »

The practice rounds for the Masters don't start until Tuesday...if he wanted to get in this weekend he could have. I'm not going to claim I know what goes into a first week on the job for a new D1 coach, just think he could have made it more of a priority.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 09:58:32 PM »
The practice rounds for the Masters don't start until Tuesday...if he wanted to get in this weekend he could have. I'm not going to claim I know what goes into a first week on the job for a new D1 coach, just think he could have made it more of a priority.

Corporate tents and bigwig smoozing  started this weekend.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 09:59:54 PM »

Gotta work hard for those lofty stock options!!! 

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 10:05:57 PM »

I just checked because I was curious, but you can get into Augusta any day this week via a commercial flight. Don't know about this past weekend, but I would imagine it would have been the same if not easier to fly in this weekend. It's pointless to debate this...just wanted to give my opinion he could be doing more on what should be our top priority.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
I just checked because I was curious, but you can get into Augusta any day this week via a commercial flight. Don't know about this past weekend, but I would imagine it would have been the same if not easier to fly in this weekend. It's pointless to debate this...just wanted to give my opinion he could be doing more on what should be our top priority.

I'll leave it up to the man in charge to determine what the top priorities for him and his program are and whether he can be working harder on them.

Respect the process.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 10:18:20 PM »
Maybe Hill wasn't able to meet with Wojo until the weekend. Jumping to the conclusion Wojo is putting Hill off is based on nothing more than a guess.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »
Let's not make excuses like that. If he determines he needs to see this kid in person then a busy airport at Augusta should not be holding him back. Fly into Savannah and drive the rest of the way. Take a bus to Louisville and hitch hike from there if you have to. If he seriously tells a prized recruit that he won't be coming in because the airport is just too busy, then I would have serious concerns about him being our coach going forward. I know this is his first week, but in my opinion Hill needs to be very high on his priority list.

Exactly. The best way to show that you have everything under control as a head coach is to let a player know he is more important than the program.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 10:42:34 PM »
Exactly. The best way to show that you have everything under control as a head coach is to let a player know he is more important than the program.

More evidence that Wojo's pimp hand is very strong indeed. 

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 10:43:17 PM »
That's about the only take away that was encouraging.  Everything else was neither a positive or negative.

Wow! Tough crowd.  I thought the tenor of what he said was very encouraging.  He could have said that I really want to re-think my options, I'm not sure if MU is the place for me any more blah, blah, blah.  Even that would not have been a death sentence but I'd certainly be more concerned.  It seems like what we'd say in sales is this is "ours to lose" and if Wojo has the makes the same impression he seemed to make with Cohen we should (I know its not 100%) be able to keep both these guys.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 01:13:02 AM »

That's how you take it? How about Hill feeling like he's not important enough to feel like he belongs in the program? crap Wojo should just grant his release for even questioning whether Wojo will be the right coach for him. Wojo needs to show these punks who wears the pants around here.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 01:27:51 AM »

Uh, no.

Death on call

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 01:53:48 AM »

You are going to base your disappointment/satisfaction on this?  We know next to nothing about the Hill situation.  Silly comment.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 02:27:22 AM »
Meanwhile, per Mark Miller- spoke with Cohen's coach this evening and nothing new to report on him either. 

Death on call

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 06:17:36 AM »
Just don't let Wojo tell him anything he doesn't like.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 06:30:43 AM »
You are going to base your disappointment/satisfaction on this?  We know next to nothing about the Hill situation.  Silly comment.

Followed closely by those saying, "Hill should be his top priority." You guys have no idea if Wojo even wants Hill. Safe to assume he would, but what if he doesn't?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 06:48:37 AM »
Followed closely by those saying, "Hill should be his top priority." You guys have no idea if Wojo even wants Hill. Safe to assume he would, but what if he doesn't?

WE'LL set the recruiting priorities around here, thank you!