[Today at 01:59:55 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 01:53:58 PM]

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 12:37:35 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by 4everwarriors
[Today at 09:11:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA  (Read 12430 times)

FloorSlapping

• Walk-On
Re: UCLA
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »
Buzz lost 13 players to transfer over six years (not counting Christopherson and Mbakwe).

Dave Singleton
Patrick Hazel
Youssoupha Mbao
Brett Roseboro
Liam McMorrow
Jeronne Maymom
Reggie Smith
Erik Williams
Jamail Jones
Jameel McKay
Garrett Swanson
TJ Taylor
Jamal Ferguson

Duly noted. 

I was not arguing that it was better/worse than Buzz's transfer history, just pointing out it was a potential contributing factor in his departure from UCLA.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
Duly noted. 

I was not arguing that it was better/worse than Buzz's transfer history, just pointing out it was a potential contributing factor in his departure from UCLA.

I agree that the transfers hurt Howland.
I'm not arguing Ben vs Buzz, just pointing out that transfers are pretty common and that we shouldn't necessarily be nervous about Howland because he had lots of kids transfer.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »
I'll just say it.

They are just like Laker fans.

+1

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 12:19:48 PM »
Chicos,

Is this the first year Ryan beats a higher seed?  I think AZ could be tough on the Badgers tomorrow night.  Baylor looked to be a cakewalk the first second the match-up was set.  A zone against UW?  Really?  come on now...

They have beaten a higher seed before.  Most fans don't care how you get there, just that you get there.  I get it, its been a bullet I've used against Vadger fans often.  Hell, they could have easily lost to Oregon, but the Ducks didn't put them away.

Baylor did not play well, a lot of that was because of how well Wisconsin did play. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
They have beaten a higher seed before.  Most fans don't care how you get there, just that you get there.  I get it, its been a bullet I've used against Vadger fans often.  Hell, they could have easily lost to Oregon, but the Ducks didn't put them away.

Baylor did not play well, a lot of that was because of how well Wisconsin did play. 

Once in 13 years!

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »
In reading this board over the years, it was a pretty consistent notion that Maymon's Dad was the issue, not the kid himself.  Overall, posters who seemed to have inside knowledge portrayed him well.  I've been rooting for him to do well based on how he's been portrayed on this site.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »
In reading this board over the years, it was a pretty consistent notion that Maymon's Dad was the issue, not the kid himself.  Overall, posters who seemed to have inside knowledge portrayed him well.  I've been rooting for him to do well based on how he's been portrayed on this site.

Most of the negative stuff was from Badger fans shortly after he chose MU.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »
Once in 13 years!

Yup.   Of course they have also gone to the NCAAs EVERY year he has coached there.  By my count, 18 wins, 11 losses in the Ryan era.  6 Sweet 16's, 2 Elite 8's.  

For a guy playing with a bunch of traditional players that people on this board have ripped their style, slowness, lack of athletic ability for years.....they seem to be doing just fine.

Let's also not forget the beating a higher seed argument often comes by chance of where you are seeded.  If most of the higher seeds you are playing are 1 through 4, that's different than if they are 5 through 10.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 12:44:44 PM »
Buzz lost 13 players to transfer over six years (not counting Christopherson and Mbakwe).

Dave Singleton
Patrick Hazel
Youssoupha Mbao
Brett Roseboro
Liam McMorrow
Jeronne Maymom
Reggie Smith
Erik Williams
Jamail Jones
Jameel McKay
Garrett Swanson
TJ Taylor
Jamal Ferguson

A lotta swings and misses on that list, aina?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 12:52:50 PM »

Dave Singleton
Patrick Hazel
Youssoupha Mbao
Brett Roseboro
Liam McMorrow
Jeronne Maymom
Reggie Smith
Erik Williams
Jamail Jones
Jameel McKay
Garrett Swanson
TJ Taylor
Jamal Ferguson

This is not a calling out post or anything. But I think it is funny that only one of those players ended up playing meaningful minutes at a high major. Maybe two if McKay does well for Hoiberg
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »
If you think the only reason Howland was fired was because of unreasonable UCLA fans, I think you are WAY oversimplifying it.

It may happen but I understand the admin being hesitant.

Doesn't pass the sniff test.

Source: IMHO
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »
This is not a calling out post or anything. But I think it is funny that only one of those players ended up playing meaningful minutes at a high major. Maybe two if McKay does well for Hoiberg

Maymon (Tennessee), Mbakwe (Minnesota) and Reggie Smith (UNLV) all played meaningful minutes at a high major.
Though it's probably safe to say the reason most of these guys transferred because they were not high major players.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 12:57:59 PM »

Which can also mean, poor recruiting originally when we signed them.

brandx

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 12:58:49 PM »

We could have easily lost to Davidson, but they couldn't put MU away.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
Maymon (Tennessee), Mbakwe (Minnesota) and Reggie Smith (UNLV) all played meaningful minutes at a high major.
Though it's probably safe to say the reason most of these guys transferred because they were not high major players.

Maymon yes.

Mbakwe wasn't on the list.

Smith could not crack the rotation at UNLV so he transferred to Eastern Illinois.
TAMU

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »
Yup.   Of course they have also gone to the NCAAs EVERY year he has coached there.  By my count, 18 wins, 11 losses in the Ryan era.  6 Sweet 16's, 2 Elite 8's.  

For a guy playing with a bunch of traditional players that people on this board have ripped their style, slowness, lack of athletic ability for years.....they seem to be doing just fine.

Let's also not forget the beating a higher seed argument often comes by chance of where you are seeded.  If most of the higher seeds you are playing are 1 through 4, that's different than if they are 5 through 10.

I am DEFINITELY NOT a UW fan, but I respect them a lot. They've been to the tourney every year under Ryan. Think about that. Plus 3 under Bennett and Soderburg. That's 16 consecutive years. Schools like Kentucky, UNC, and UCLA can't make that claim. Plus, they've had remarkable stability. When was the last time you heard Ryan's name come up in a job search? Never. Sure, they can be slow and boring to watch at times. But they're extremely well coached and smart...for just one example, you never see a Ryan team commit stupid fouls 40 feet from the hoop. I see MU do that multiple times a game.

Maybe I'm just worn out from this crazy week, but I'm going to admit it....UW is inching into premier job territory. Excellent school. Powerful conference. Sell-outs every game. Close proximity to Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis prep talent.

Right now, I envy their situation.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 01:14:17 PM »

You sound like a Badger season ticket holder.  Right off their talking points.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 01:16:30 PM »
I am DEFINITELY NOT a UW fan, but I respect them a lot. They've been to the tourney every year under Ryan. Think about that. Plus 3 under Bennett and Soderburg. That's 16 consecutive years. Schools like Kentucky, UNC, and UCLA can't make that claim. Plus, they've had remarkable stability. When was the last time you heard Ryan's name come up in a job search? Never. Sure, they can be slow and boring to watch at times. But they're extremely well coached and smart...for just one example, you never see a Ryan team commit stupid fouls 40 feet from the hoop. I see MU do that multiple times a game.

Maybe I'm just worn out from this crazy week, but I'm going to admit it....UW is inching into premier job territory. Excellent school. Powerful conference. Sell-outs every game. Close proximity to Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis prep talent.

Right now, I envy their situation.

The program is run by Ryan. Not saying that it will implode when he leaves.  But when they have to replace Bo, it will be every bit as important to them as it is to us.  And there is no guarantee that they make the right choice.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 01:18:02 PM »

You don't have to like UW, but to deny their success is ridiculous.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »

I sound like someone who knows what they are talking about and I don't let my prejudices blind my comments about their success.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 01:33:56 PM »
I sound like someone who knows what they are talking about and I don't let my prejudices blind my comments about their success.

They have been very successful, yet there have been a lot of people on this board who preferred Buzz over Bo by a wide margin. I suspect most of those are the same ones that rejected and sneered at Dayton coming into the BEast.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2014, 01:36:56 PM »

Not a Badger hater.  For a Marquette fan to spin Bo's NCAA record positively is ridiculous.  (I hope I don't need to reiterate his results vs. his seeding)

Don't get me wrong.  It is not a surprise coming from you, but this may be the most ludicrous stretch you've ever made.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 01:40:37 PM »
I didn't know much about Bo Ryan's lineage to become Head Coach at UW.  I just looked it up.  Very impressive.  Makes me respect the guy a lot more than I have in the past.  Not a UW hater by any means (I'm not from Wisconsin), but it looks like Bo did things the right way.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »
Ryan=one hell of a coach.

We should be so fortunate with our next hire.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 01:42:51 PM »
Not a Badger hater.  For a Marquette fan to spin Bo's NCAA record positively is ridiculous.  (I hope I don't need to reiterate his results vs. his seeding)

Don't get me wrong.  It is not a surprise coming from you, but this may be the most ludicrous stretch you've ever made.

This is insane. How on earth can you not recognize 16 consecutive NCAA tourneys—and 13 consecutive with the same coach??? How is that anything but positive? There's no "spin" needed.

MU wishes it had that kind of sustained excellence and stability.

I'm not a UW fan, but posts like yours may turn me into one.

feedback